Found Deceased SC - Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, Cayce, 10 Feb 2020 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you link that study? Because from following cases here it seems that missing children usually turn out to have been taken by an acquaintance of one of the parents, especially romantic ones.

I found different statistics, quite different actually, and they do show that they are most frequently by someone known to the child.

• Approximately 85 to 90% of the 840,000 abductions in 2001 were children, according to the FBI, which equates to roughly 2,000 child abductions each day.
  • A child goes missing every 40 seconds in the U.S.
  • 49% of child abductions are committed by a relative or family friend.
  • 27% of child abductions are committed by an acquaintance of the child and/or family.
  • 24% of child abductions are committed by strangers.
  • Most abductions occur at home or within a quarter mile of the home.
  • Women are more likely to commit family child abductions.
  • The number of international abductions involved 1,135 cases in 2013, up from 642 in 2006.
  • Of the children taken abroad in 2009, only 436 were returned to the U.S.
  • About 75% of children abducted and taken abroad are taken to convention countries (i.e., countries with agreements with the U.S. to return children).
Family Child Abduction Statistics - McFarling Law Group

Perhaps the discrepancies in numbers & percentages is that one study is about abductions (of unspecified outcomes) and the other is missing children homicide cases (clear outcome of murder)? (Thus, removing any abductions where a child is recovered/found safe/alive?)

I found different statistics, quite different actually, and they do show that they are most frequently by someone known to the child.

• Approximately 85 to 90% of the 840,000 abductions in 2001 were children, according to the FBI, which equates to roughly 2,000 child abductions each day.
  • 27% of child abductions are committed by an acquaintance of the child and/or family.
  • The number of international abductions involved 1,135 cases in 2013, up from 642 in 2006.
  • About 75% of children abducted and taken abroad are taken to convention countries (i.e., countries with agreements with the U.S. to return children).

What cannot be ignored are the key facts. The important key words are: abducted and murdered children, and not merely abducted children.

jmho

Last edited:
(rsbm)

Exactly. And journalists shouldn't take it upon themselves to extrapolate/assume/make it up.
Could you link that study? Because from following cases here it seems that missing children usually turn out to have been taken by an acquaintance of one of the parents, especially romantic ones.

In 2019 NCMEC assisted law enforcement and families with more than 29,000 cases of missing children.
4 percent were family abductions. I've seen the statistic at 5% just several years ago.

If the perpetrator does turn out to be a registered sex offender, there are over 30 in the surrounding area. We can eliminate the two female sex offenders I found in Cayce.
Two individuals in particular I am looking at on the registry now. Who knows though. These cases rarely have positive outcomes, and I am always prepared for the twists and turns that come with dealing with someone is who a sociopath or psychopath.

I still dont quite understand what the relevance of having the tow cars towed is toward the case.... Its going to be interesting to find out why they were towed, and if anything was found?

I believe this was the right thing to do at the time. They needed to look in the cars for blood or other evidence to determine whether the mother and/or bf had transported the body. The family is always suspect and they were being criticized for not reporting her as missing right away. The relevance is that whether LE found anything or not, that is evidence that will help either convict or exonerate the mother and bf. I think LE was leaving no stones unturned.

They solved it incredibly fast. Look at Jessie Lunsford. Snatched from her own bed on February 24, body discovered around March 12-14. Until finally buried alive under the porch, she had been kept alive in that sl1meball's house, only 65 yards from her own house. Get it....a little more than half a football field.
Also another child Kirsten Hatfield. 8yo girl from Oklahoma kidnapped from her own bed in 1997 and it wasn't until 2015 when police arrested her next door neighbor for her kidnapping and presumed murder. Her body has never been found.

In 2019 NCMEC assisted law enforcement and families with more than 29,000 cases of missing children.
4 percent were family abductions. I've seen the statistic at 5% just several years ago.

If the perpetrator does turn out to be a registered sex offender, there are over 30 in the surrounding area. We can eliminate the two female sex offenders I found in Cayce.
Two individuals in particular I am looking at on the registry now. Who knows though. These cases rarely have positive outcomes, and I am always prepared for the twists and turns that come with dealing with someone is who a sociopath or psychopath.

Initials of both?

These statistics seem to follow more closely what we read and hear about daily. With the advent of podcasts and forums like WS, plus SM, it is more obvious that these statistics are closer to the truth, IMO.
Personally I don’t follow statistics, they are often susceptible to bias and discrimination, but I do agree that these stats seem to be more accurate than others.

These stats shocked me! This is MURDER, not abduction.

Stranger Danger?
Of all children under age 5 murdered from 1976-2005 —

• 31% were killed by fathers
  • 29% were killed by mothers
  • 23% were killed by male acquaintances
  • 7% were killed by other relatives
  • 3% were killed by strangers
Moral: Your safest bet is to leave your child with a stranger.

BBM
Crime Stats | Let Grow

I have followed many many cases here and still can’t wrap my head around the fact that so many monsters walk among us every single day. It is so chilling. :(

I have also read talk from locals about a shallow grave and I’ll never understand how someone has the time (and tools) to dig a shallow grave at a moment’s notice. Was this planned? Do you go home to get the shovel and go back at the risk of being seen with a shovel or arriving at the area a second time? Do you do all this in the timespan of an hour and a half? Maybe it’s not like the “shallow grave” I’m imaging in my head?

I dropped my kids at school today and saw all the little people going inside with their Valentine’s boxes and it made me so so sad.

Last edited:
Cherish Perriwinkle’s death was sooo brutal as well. I feel you. That was so upsetting for so many reasons.
Just stay strong for your babies and hold them close. <3
They caught Cherish’s killer through video, right? I’m sure police have checked Circle K cameras? The mother supposedly was seen in the store, by a neighbor, asking the clerk if he had seen Faye. I’m just wondering if she was lured away by offer of going to get candy at the store and that is why she was found in the woods behind Napa Auto Parts (I’m “assuming” from crime tape that “she” was found in those woods.”)

Also another child Kirsten Hatfield. 8yo girl from Oklahoma kidnapped from her own bed in 1997 and it wasn't until 2015 when police arrested her next door neighbor for her kidnapping and presumed murder. Her body has never been found.

Crazy stuff.

I brought up the Kali Poulton case yesterday, so common in these abduction cases, I'm afraid. Perp is often times living literally a stone's throw away from where the child lives, LE interview the individual early on say looking for the child but never considers them a suspect, etc.

Mark Christie would watch Kali from his apartment, and watch her and her mom when they were together in the apartment complex they all lived in. Watch from a distance while Kali was at the nearby playground, and even made comments to Kali's mother about her.

He was a security guard at a factory at the time, some years later Kali was found in tank of something or another at the factory.

Just food for thought I think, often times the abductors of really young children who are not close relatives are literally a stone's throw away from where the child lives.

JMO

These stats shocked me! This is MURDER, not abduction.

Stranger Danger?
Of all children under age 5 murdered from 1976-2005 —

• 31% were killed by fathers
  • 29% were killed by mothers
  • 23% were killed by male acquaintances
  • 7% were killed by other relatives
  • 3% were killed by strangers
Moral: Your safest bet is to leave your child with a stranger.

BBM
Crime Stats | Let Grow
Wondering if fathers and mothers include stepparents.

I have followed many many cases here and still can’t wrap my head around the fact that so many monsters walk among us every single day. It is so chilling. :(

I have also read talk from locals about a shallow grave and I’ll never understand how someone has the time (and tools) to dig a shallow grave at a moment’s notice. Was this planned? Do you go home to get the shovel and go back at the risk of being seen with a shovel or arriving at the area a second time? Do you do all this in the timespan of an hour and a half?

I dropped my kids at school today and saw all the little people going inside with their Valentine’s boxes and it made me so so sad.

I think a shallow grave can be a slight incline due to run off, maybe topped with leaves, limbs, etc. Of course after heavy rains it is quite easy to turn the earth with a foot.

I’m with you on the Valentine stuff......she should be squirming at her desk, eager to deliver her cards & then open her meticulously decorated box, tearing into her Valentine’s, specks of glitter on her hands, in her hair, frosting and candy on her face. But......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot