Found Deceased SC - Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, Cayce, 10 Feb 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cayce Officials Ask For Help From Neighbors, Social Media In Search For Missing 6-Year-Old SC Girl
[...]

“We’re hoping for a safe return,” Antley said. “We want you to share our message on social media. Talk to your family and people in your neighborhood. We want to keep this girl’s name circulating and get that information out as quickly and efficiently as possible.”

[...]

“At some point, her family lost track of her, that was around 3:45 p.m.,” Antley said in the press conference.

He said it’s a “tight-knit community” and it’s “not odd” for children to be outside playing.

Police were contacted about an hour later. Faye’s mother reported her missing.

[...]

Ugghhhh. How many cases have I thought they really need to reconsider & revise Amber Alert criteria. In SC, it’s this, paraphrased...

Investigation must reveal ALL for AMBER alert:
  • LE must believe that the child has been abducted/ taken unlawfully, without authority of law/permission of parent or legal guardian.
  • 17 or younger. LE must believe that child in immediate danger of serious harm/death.
  • 18+, LE believe individual at greater risk for immediate danger of serious harm/death due to physical/mental disability.
  • All other possibilities for disappearance ruled out.
  • Enough info to give to public that could assist in locating victim/suspect/vehicle used in abduction.
  • The child's name/data has been entered into the NCIC.
But the “enough info to give public” part really seems to defeat purpose!
So frustrating. Sometimes the alert secures the info that’s desperately missing.

2nd article down...
Search continues for 6-year-old girl missing in South Carolina

I feel like LE is all over this, hope it pressures someone to come forward, and not make someone desperate. Just hope she hasn't been abducted and is miles and states away by now.

IMO, if this is an abduction and not a wander off situation, they need to be checking every neighbor within eyesight.

Here is the picture from Google earth of 699 Londonderry Square #16. Posting because I wondered where the "yard" was (didn't look like front of house from other pics) and thought others might be interested. So, there are two "side yards", and maybe a back area?

Screenshot_2020-02-11 16 Londonderry Square.jpg

It's comments like this that bothers the heck out of me. I have to wonder why they do not know who was home when she got off the bus. Seems a simple question for the mother to answer in order to get a simple answer. On just about every single missing child case, no one can answer simple questions at all, especially the people who are responsible for caring for the child.
Yeah that’s true. The simple stuff missing it what bogs things down. But in this case, no reason to assume mom or caretaker didn’t know or answer. Could be LE didn’t ask, haven’t stopped to compare notes, or aren’t releasing due to active state of investigation. LE did state they checked w all family members & Faye wasn’t with them.

Cayce Public Safety on Twitter (Video)
There are more than 250 of the best and bravest from agencies across the country looking for #FayeSwetlik right now. Keep praying. Keep sharing. Keep calling 803-205-4444 if you have any information. #PrayforFaye @LCSD_News @SpringdalePDSC @ColumbiaPDSC @westcolumbiapd
10:26 AM · Feb 11, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
I keep thinking of Lizzie from UT. How many searched for her- and how close she ended up being- 1 block-ish. I hope this is NOT THAT. I hope they’ve searched Congaree Creek 500-1000 feet eastish.

FEB 11, 2020
FBI joins search for 6-year-old girl who vanished from SC neighborhood
[...]

Issuing an Amber Alert has not been ruled out, according to city officials, who said evidence and information were still being gathered to make that decision.

[...]

Channel 9′s South Carolina bureau reporter Greg Suskin said he saw several agencies, including the FBI, stopping traffic, talking to drivers who are passing through the community where she lives.

The SLED helicopter has been seen circling the area and officials said 250 people are searching, but that does not include the many neighbors who have been involved in the search.

[...]

“I have a granddaughter that’s the same age, and you never think that it will hit this close to home," said neighbor KN. "I was up until two-thirty this morning, searching, looking, walking up and down the road.”

[...]

I dunno, my kids were left to play in the yard whilst I kept half an eye from the first floor balcony (I am in the UK so it's ground, then 1st, then 2nd floor.) It's an enclosed space and whilst you're pottering about getting dinner ready or doing chores you do tend to assume they are OK. My kids ALWAYS came up to ask before they left anywhere, I don't really feel jumping on the parents 'if' they were, say, emptying the washer and then came back and their child was gone is fair. JMO

I'm with you. And mine played outside as well.
People known to a child are still the ones who are a problem- for all kinds of criminal behavior against a child. Stranger abduction numbers haven't risen. People are more aware of stranger abductions due to the internet, and more are recovered now than in the past.

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been answered, but what happens if noone is there to collect a child? Having been turfed off a school bus myself even though my mum wasn't there to collect me, back in the day. I wondered what the procedure is. Does the bus wait for CPS, do they try and keep them on the bus? What if the kid hops off before anyone can stop them or refuses to stay put?

I'm behind so this may have been answered...but where I live, if the parent is not there to collect the elementary age child from the bus, they are kept on the bus and transported back to the school. Then attempts are made to call the parents for pickup there.

FEB 11, 2020
FBI joins search for 6-year-old girl who vanished from SC neighborhood
[...]

Issuing an Amber Alert has not been ruled out, according to city officials, who said evidence and information were still being gathered to make that decision.

[...]

Channel 9′s South Carolina bureau reporter Greg Suskin said he saw several agencies, including the FBI, stopping traffic, talking to drivers who are passing through the community where she lives.

The SLED helicopter has been seen circling the area and officials said 250 people are searching, but that does not include the many neighbors who have been involved in the search.

[...]

“I have a granddaughter that’s the same age, and you never think that it will hit this close to home," said neighbor KN. "I was up until two-thirty this morning, searching, looking, walking up and down the road.”

[...]
Forgive my soapbox- roll & scroll if y’all want...

BUT IF THERE IS ENOUGH CRITERIA TO YARD IN FBI, SHOULDN’T THAT BE THE SAME CRITERIA FOR AMERT ALERT?!!

Just say’n. Steppn’ off box.

I keep thinking of Lizzie from UT. How many searched for her- and how close she ended up being- 1 block-ish. I hope this is NOT THAT. I hope they’ve searched Congaree Creek 500-1000 feet eastish.
The creek was mentioned last night and it was disturbing to read that the water is higher than usual. MOO

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article240181278.html
In addition to homes and vehicles, the search is also covering a wooded area in and around the neighborhood, as well as terrain at nearby Congaree Creek, which has risen with all of the recent rain, Antley said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734