SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE never has to name a POI or a suspect, and if public records laws are such that search warrants and what not are not released, we may never know where they have searched or who they have interviewed, until or unless there is an arrest. Florida and very few other states have open records laws, where everything comes out as it happens. JMO

Woe - This post should be a sticky! Well said!!!

I know of "techie" LE who couldn't figure out how to navigate WS, let alone the many tools we commonly use here as sleuthers (eg.Wayback Machine, Cache, Historical Google Time Searches, Exif and Gps Data on Photos, PIPL, Maps; Facebook "like/comment/place" searches etc.)

No question there is a generation gap operating in local police services around your country and mine. The problem is the warp speed that tech has grown. That's just the way it is.

And all of us don't know how to do all of those things. Some are stronger in one area while others handle the other areas. We're working as a group. Imagine if we had all relevant information applicable to a case.

Instead of spending countless hours hypothesizing or going down a wrong path, we could concentrate on theories that fit in with the most recent facts applicable to the case. Collectively we spend more time on a case than one LE office can imo. Too bad we can't truly efficiently be of help.

Thank you!

LE never has to name a POI or a suspect, and if public records laws are such that search warrants and what not are not released, we may never know where they have searched or who they have interviewed, until or unless there is an arrest. Florida and very few other states have open records laws, where everything comes out as it happens. JMO

clu, you are stating the obvious!
I'm not picking on you but I think we know this which is why we feel we're often no use at all (or I speak for myself).

That said, there may be new sleuthers who aren't familiar with how LE works or that laws vary from state-to-state.

Do we know for sure ,without a doubt that HE did not visit the emergency room the afternoon before her date? I know with HIPPA laws that information would not be given out.Did LE release an official statement saying this was another HE? And if so,has LE ever given info as such to throw people off?

I don't. Haven't seen LE issue any statements.
Only know that the media retracted the info which may be because of HIPPA as you pointed out.

Although they did put the visit on another HE, supposedly a minor. So who knows?

It's difficult for me to believe that whoever (is trained?) to make those calls to the hospital would accept just a name as evidence without verifying date of birth or middle name. Floors me really. :twocents:

Do we know for sure ,without a doubt that HE did not visit the emergency room the afternoon before her date? I know with HIPPA laws that information would not be given out.Did LE release an official statement saying this was another HE? And if so,has LE ever given info as such to throw people off?

only on http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/loc...1e3-a440-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=image&photo=2
The caption under the photo of the police report states:

"Editor's Note: Horry County police have since said the person who was checked in at Conway Medical Center, according to the narrative, is a different Heather Elvis from the Heather Elvis who is missing."

clu, you are stating the obvious!
I'm not picking on you but I think we know this which is why we feel we're often no use at all (or I speak for myself).

That said, there may be new sleuthers who aren't familiar with how LE works or that laws vary from state-to-state.

I guess that sleuther
would be "me".

Many have speculated on the car being planted.

The one objection I have to that is it actually could potentially leave even more evidence from the perp inside the car.

Still a possibilty though.

At this point, I don't know how the car got there, but I think there is more than one possibility. When it got there is perhaps of more importance now. But I don't think fear of leaving evidence is necessarily the reason someone else wouldn't have driven it.

Somebody moved from one vehicle to another and no matter who it was or what car, the crossing of paths is evident somewhere. There was a transfer/transport at some point in the chronology of things that staying out of Heather's car wouldn't resolve.

I doubt that what happened to her happened at PTL. Unless LE found evidence there they're not talking about, and that's possible, PTL ultimately becomes somewhat of a sidebar, and at the most, a point of connection that was needed for another trip.

So if she did drive there or was driven, I can't imagine she was there for long.

Woe - This post should be a sticky! Well said!!!

I know of "techie" LE who couldn't figure out how to navigate WS, let alone the many tools we commonly use here as sleuthers (eg.Wayback Machine, Cache, Historical Google Time Searches, Exif and Gps Data on Photos, PIPL, Maps; Facebook "like/comment/place" searches etc.)

No question there is a generation gap operating in local police services around your country and mine. The problem is the warp speed that tech has grown. That's just the way it is.

Thanks for the list. I wrote it down with hopes of learning how to use a few new tools myself. The problem is, I'm afraid to mess my computer up when experimenting with trying to figure out how to do new stuff.

And all of us don't know how to do all of those things. Some are stronger in one area while others handle the other areas. We're working as a group. Imagine if we had all relevant information applicable to a case.

Instead of spending countless hours hypothesizing or going down a wrong path, we could concentrate on theories that fit in with the most recent facts applicable to the case. Collectively we spend more time on a case than one LE office can imo. Too bad we can't truly efficiently be of help.

Thank you!

So very, very true and well-put. There is so much dedication here, and such great coverage geographically. Can you imagine what a group this size could do? Sigh...

Thanks for the list. I wrote it down with hopes of learning how to use a few new tools myself. The problem is, I'm afraid to mess my computer up when experimenting with trying to figure out how to do new stuff.

Always create a restore point. :)

what does according to the narrative me? The editor/writer of this article

I think when the editor says "according to the narrative" they are referring to the narrative of the original Police report, where the reporting officer states HE was in the hospital.

only on http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/loc...1e3-a440-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=image&photo=2
The caption under the photo of the police report states:

"Editor's Note: Horry County police have since said the person who was checked in at Conway Medical Center, according to the narrative, is a different Heather Elvis from the Heather Elvis who is missing."

I have always thought that she might have been there. It should not have been released that she was and think that's why they changed the story.

In march Heather tweeted about visiting a bunch of hospitals including Conway. https://mobile.twitter.com/HeatherElvis. Then it's released that she visits one the day before she goes missing. Then it is said it wasn't her, but a distant cousin with the same exact name. See article. http://www.carolinalive.com. I personally felt she went to the hospital because she needed help and they provided her with a plan and she set in motion and left later that night.

Yes, while that does make a lot of since to me, if they really have any substantial information , it seems there would be a POI NAMED AND TRULY INVESTIGATED BY NOW .

Not necessarily. If they have no body they might be foolish to name anyone. And they may well be investigating someone or multiple people and not letting on to them or to the public how much they know.

In the Whitney Heichel case, LE was literally watching the perpetrator make mistakes right outside the police station, and they had been talking to him and watching him for a period of time. There was no indication they knew who it was until the presser where LE walked in, stood beside an easel, and flipped a new page over Whitney's missing poster, and there was the perpetrator. They announced that they were recovering her body and he was in custody.

At this point, I don't know how the car got there, but I think there is more than one possibility. When it got there is perhaps of more importance now. But I don't think fear of leaving evidence is necessarily the reason someone else wouldn't have driven it.

Somebody moved from one vehicle to another and no matter who it was or what car, the crossing of paths is evident somewhere. There was a transfer/transport at some point in the chronology of things that staying out of Heather's car wouldn't resolve.

I doubt that what happened to her happened at PTL. Unless LE found evidence there they're not talking about, and that's possible, PTL ultimately becomes somewhat of a sidebar, and at the most, a point of connection that was needed for another trip.

So if she did drive there or was driven, I can't imagine she was there for long.

I agree with all of that. Let's hope we get some new information soon.

what does according to the narrative me? The editor/writer of this article

As written within the police report. Most of us read it but, as far as we know, the report wasn't released legally.

The narrative didn't come from the media, it came from a police report.

Why does it say in the police report on the one we can discuss when her car was find administratively closed?

I think they have released all the relevant information they can already. If they feel that releasing certain pieces of information could compromise the case in any way imaginable they aren't going to do it. Too much information and public assistance quickly turns into public interference.

There have been cases which have been affected by well meaning people that have accidentally ruined certain pieces of evidence or a crime scene entirely.

What critical information has LE actually released? Unless you call speaking to a news reporter "releasing information"!

The local news here has done nothing but restate what little info that LE has given them. Again, nothing investigative. Plus, they interpret it and disseminate the info as they choose and in their own way. Often construing fact or purposely leaving information out. Plus the fact that none of the news channels here have touched the facts from the police report, the accusations made on FHEFB page, or other non-MSM channels. I haven't heard one mention of OM. And, they're still saying HE was last seen at 2am. Ugh!

IMO, this case was botched from day one. There, I said it. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members