SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to jump in and say I was surprised about the "Tip Tent" and I was also surprised about the request to send tips directly to them instead of LE.

Any case I have followed, that is NOT the program.

LE doesn't arrest just for the fun of it.

Something else is going on, IMO

Wondergirl, this is not the first time a tip tent/booth was used in a missing person case. The families just want answers..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/holly-bobo-missing_n_1858592.html

(TN)Holly Bobo Missing: Student's Family Hopeful Renewed Efforts Will Bring New Tips

The family of Holly Bobo, a young Tennessee nursing student who disappeared in 2011, is hoping a new tip box at the county fair will help garner new leads.

The tip box is inside an unmanned booth at the Decatur County Fairgrounds, according to Chris Williams, director of operations for Southeast Canine Search and Rescue.

"They put it in an area where there is not a whole lot of foot traffic so if somebody wants to put a tip in, they can do so [anonymously],

Wondergirl, this is not the first time a tip tent/booth was used in a missing person case. The families just want answers..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/holly-bobo-missing_n_1858592.html

(TN)Holly Bobo Missing: Student's Family Hopeful Renewed Efforts Will Bring New Tips

The family of Holly Bobo, a young Tennessee nursing student who disappeared in 2011, is hoping a new tip box at the county fair will help garner new leads.

The tip box is inside an unmanned booth at the Decatur County Fairgrounds, according to Chris Williams, director of operations for Southeast Canine Search and Rescue.

"They put it in an area where there is not a whole lot of foot traffic so if somebody wants to put a tip in, they can do so [anonymously],

Right, more of a cold case, not an active one, or to rephrase, not a fresh new one.

I was surprised LE allowed it.

Then again, LE would usually request the info come to them only. They haven't even had a presser.

If that was the case , there wouldn't be 7 other unsolved missing/murdered female cold cases in Myrtle Beach/Horry County, SC, in the past 7 years, imo.

HCPD, has absolutely no media management strategy and squanders their most valuable investigative resource; the American public, imo...

Silence is the predators most lethal weapon...

I know we aren't really supposed to criticize LE here, and while I respect MBPD, HCPD and any other local LE...If anyone in my family went missing here I would not feel very confident in their ability to get a favorable result. Too much recent history of cases going cold pretty quickly. I can understand the Elvis family's frustration. I'm really very concerned that this will spiral out of control even worse in the future if the chips don't start to fall soon in this case. Would a presser really hurt anyone in this case? Are we beyond that point because of continued silence? I think it would go a long way in helping locals feel a little more confident in HCPD's abilities.

JMO
This is along my line of thought on the arrests. I do not remember following a case where a person has been arrested for anything like this. I am assuming it is rather unusual. Can anyone name another case here at WS where someone was arrested for obstructing justice?

I think LE is sending a mighty powerful message and for a very good reason. I hope the reason is they are narrowing in on finding Heather and need folks to just "chill"~I can hope and pray.

O/T My mom and her very old lady friends used to do abortion line protests. Some of those dear sweet old ladies went to jail~regularly. When you break the law-you pay the consequences~regardless. JMO

Just an intimidation tactic by a very frustrated LEA, WideOpen. The TBI also practices the antiquated silence strategy in missing/murdered person's investigations. This strategy only causes innocent lives lost & mounting cold cases, imo. The following abduction case is cold almost three years later;

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/holly-b...ring-in-case-of-missing-tenn-nursing-student/

HOLLY BOBO UPDATE: OHIO MAN ACCUSED OF INTERFERING IN CASE OF MISSING TENN. NURSING STUDENT

CBS/AP) NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Law enforcement agents have searched the home of an Ohio man they accuse of interfering with the investigation into the disappearance of 20-year-old Tennessee nursing student Holly Bobo.

Pictures: Holly Bobo missing

On Wednesday, officials with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation seized a computer and other belongings from the East Liverpool home of Tony Calabrese and questioned the man and his roommate.
<sniped-read more>
__

'America's silent disaster:' Mysteries of the missing
FBI: More than 1,100 'active' missing-persons cases in Tennessee; exact number unknown

By Jim Balloch
Posted June 28, 2009 at midnight
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/jun/28/americas-silent-disaster/?partner=RSS
<sniped - read more>

Obviously technology is not a strong point for the HCPD. Redacting by highlighting text the color black, super generic blog run through wordpress.com without its own domain name, etc.

I guess that's why some of us were saying that it's time to start catching up with newer technology or be left behind. Especially since a large majority of young people are so adept at it. Since MB is a vacation spot it would seem likely that it attracts all kinds . Technology can be hard to grasp by people working so hard. While there is a learning curve,maybe someone with such skills should be working there in that position. Most larger departments already have such people doing social media. You snooze,you lose. It doesn't necessarily cost a lot either-it might even save steps.
If HCPD doesn't seem to be all that familiar w/SM then I wonder how they can wrap their head around what's happening in SM on ANY of their cases? Are they missing some important things because they don't understand how it works?

I think it's also a sign the LE is spinning it's wheels and the investigation has hit roadblock.

Just a thought...would LE ever arrest and charge people for this type of thing to make a deal with someone else to talk?

Which number are you guys saying ISN'T a LE number?
Which number should people call with tips?
I'm so confused?

I can't help thinking that all of this recklessness is helpful to any POI's down the line, especially if the one whose name is being thrown around is ever charged in a strictly circumstantial case. LE better have a whole notepad full of other people they investigated, IMO, as the Fb page is one big witch hunt. I keep looking for one for one those "hater" pages, a la Mark Redwine to get going...

I never mentioned the arrest of the 2 men. I was talking about the positives in this case today.

You said, "HE just got more national news coverage." She wanted to know what "more national news coverage" is hE getting? She was pointing out that the Dateline piece was done prior to today and the two men getting arrested. You responded saying. When did I say that, with a chill out animation. I provided you with your quote. So, you didn't mean it just got more "national new coverage"? Or did you? I don't live near you and nothing broke hear about the case.

Obviously technology is not a strong point for the HCPD. Redacting by highlighting text the color black, super generic blog run through wordpress.com without its own domain name, etc.

Another thing jumped out at me-since it's not run through their own domain might it be possible for anyone to hack it and keep an eye on edits/etc? Look at all the questionable press hacking that's been going on by the Murdoch bunch,etc. Lots of kids even know how to do this stuff and it doesn't take a genius. I didn't notice they were using a generic wordpress blog without their own domain..Really??

Was Heather known to leave her car at PTL in the past?

Not sure we would know. If she was involved in an affair that had to be kept somewhat secret, I doubt she would give away her meeting places, if any.

JMO only...national coverage is not going to matter in the end, in this case. JMO it is all extremely local, maybe extending a county or so at most. Yeah, more coverage the better, etc. but it is not "good" coverage to me...good coverage would be far more activity on the part of local media and reporters. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLoo313