SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have two septic tanks on our property, both with their cement covers under around a foot or less of dirt. We have to dig them up to have the septics emptied from time to time. It's really not that much trouble to dig them up and pry the lids off and over. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

It's definitely not out of the question, however the decomposition process is not quick and produces gasses and expansion. That could result in a malfunctioning septic system rather quickly and lead to discovery of the remains. JMHO

I haven't followed this case closely and I've spent the past day trying to read up. I can say that from the outside looking in, its almost inconceivable that those last texts or phone conversations with the older man do not have anything to do with her disappearance. The biggest question for me is was the older man actually talking or texting...and if texting, is it likely that his wife was doing the texting while acting like she was her hubby?
It's horrible but I feel she is deceased....and I pray the truth will come out and she can be recovered.

OMM is not sleuthable. Whatever you are reading on facebook NEEDS TO STAY THERE!

Salem

Continued interview with Police Chief, more information on Black Jeep, release of more information about communications and timelines.

www.myhorrynews.com/eedition_carolina_forest_chronicle/
Thank you.
I couldn't cut and paste from the online edition of the newspaper, so have written out the pertinent points that I feel are new or elaborate more on what we already know.......

------------------------------------------------

Police don't know exactly what happened to Heather Elvis. but they don't believe her disappearance is a random act.

Rhodes said investigators are much further along in the investigation......."We fell like we have a good opportunity to solve this case", she said. "We have a few theories. It is not at a standstill."

......Investigators don't think human trafficking is tied to Elvis' disappearance. They also don't think she ran away. Also don't believe Elvis' disappearance is connected to any other case.

Through the warrants, Police have searched Elvis' social media accounts including private messages accessible only by password. the contents of those messages have not been released. Police have also searched homes and private properties, but Rhodes declined to specify where, citing the ongoing investigation.
"We don't have anything we can share publically. We're still working on it diligently.

Elvis and Moorer exchanged communications between 2 and 6am, mostly through private messaging, but wouldn't say what those discussions entailed.

They also mention that receipts found in Heather's car dated 17th December weren't important. Receipts were from Kangaroo and McDonalds on the afternoon before she disappeared.

We have two septic tanks on our property, both with their cement covers under around a foot or less of dirt. We have to dig them up to have the septics emptied from time to time. It's really not that much trouble to dig them up and pry the lids off and over. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility.

My septic tank is also exactly like that and whenever I have to have it dug up to clean it, I do the digging myself to help the guy out so he dont destroy my yard. I have a small hand-drawn map to know exactly where to dig for the handle. It is easy to find when you know where it is and it is not far under the dirt at all. Like you said, right around 1 foot deep is all.

The most interesting thing for me is whenever I watch the handle and lid be pulled off and look down into the very deep and huge tank with a flashlight, I immediately think of bodies down there and get scared. I begin to think about not wanting to get near the hole because nobody would ever find me and I would be trapped forever. I always keep my distance from the hole. And I also think that nobody would even want to really look down there due to the grossness of it. Plus if anything is down there it is difficult to make out what it is. There is some sort of plastic tarp that is down in my tank that must have been thrown down there by a construction crew but it took me a long time to figure out what I was looking at. To me, it really is a very good place to hide a body.

The other thing too is people with tanks usually buy certain Chemicals to flush down the toilets to help the stuff disolve and deteriorate. Those chemicals would probably help decompose a body. The liquid can be very deep too like 15-20 feet deep and if anything is submerged down there, you would have to empty it first to be able to really search it good. Also it is very difficult to see back to certain corners because the entry hole is off to one side's edge. The buried tank itself is very large. I forget the actual dimensions of mine, but it is around 20 feet wide and 10-15 feet across and around 20 feet deep. A huge tank under my yard that you really never know is down there in the backyard.

The hole under the lid is a little small but I think you could manage to get a smaller type person like HE through the hole with some effort of pushing and forcing her through. A very large person would be difficult I would think unless cut up. When you dig up the lid you are standing on top of the tank looking down into the tank.

If ever searching for a dead body, I think these type of tanks should always be searched but I bet LE does not like or want to do it. Especially because if you dont know the property then you really dont know where the tanks are at all. And you dont know if the house even has one or not. If you suspect they have one, you can use a metal detector to find the lid because they usually have a steel rebar handle attached to the heavy cement lid.

It's definitely not out of the question, however the decomposition process is not quick and produces gasses and expansion. That could result in a malfunctioning septic system rather quickly and lead to discovery of the remains. JMHO

except WHAT IF it was an abandoned/vacant/vacation place?? Or a new construction being built??

We also locally had a recent case where a 21 y/o man was found in a chest freezer of an abandoned place when the neighbors started noticing a bad smell. Autopsy determined he died of a meth overdose. They closed the case without even determining HOW he ended up in an abandoned place in a freezer many miles away from his home?

I wonder if HE was only texting & not physically speaking w/OM? Might it be easy for someone to make believe they're someone with the intent to stress her out & drive her crazy? She did say she was upset to roomie.
What if she agreed to meet??Or what if she lost it and called someone w/illegal substances? What if she went somewhere & OD'd and they figured to get rid of a body...If Heather was gone 7+ hours how charged up would her phone be? What if she went somewhere,had problems & tried using an uncharged phone?

I would bet if a perp chose to use a septic tank that they would choose a property where nobody was living at the current moment. Like an abandoned house or one that hasnt sold in a long time. Or maybe a secondary property that they own or a relative has that they would be able to monitor their own tank.

Also I just wrote a post a few minutes ago describing all about these tanks and mentioned how we are taught to flush certain chemicals down the toilets to help dissolve things in the tank. You can also put these chemicals directly in the hole instead of flushing down the toilets if you dont have access to the home. If someone put a body down a tank I suppose they may even be smart enough to bring along other types of chemicals like lyme or something to throw down the tank with the body. When the lid is put back on, it keeps any odors pretty much contained in the tank.

I used to work at that apartment complex. We would take golf carts down that dirt road and feed the gators in the large pond at the end.

Oh no. Gators. I didnt realize SC had them. That is the worst scenerio with being able to find her.

Snipped by me to address this part.

I hear what you are saying here but what if a body was initially disposed of one way because it wasn't thought out, maybe an accident of some sort, then the perp(s) realize they have more time because it is now nightfall on the 18th and somebody's car is still at the landing. Now the perp(s) has had time to think through everything.
What if then they decide to go back and re-do the disposal.
In that case it will appear the event was planned but really time just fell into someone's hands.

Just my thoughts because every scenerio I come up with is an unplanned event and I feel like with an unplanned event Heather would have been found already so I've considered the above.

I think this is highly likely in this case that the body was moved and redisposed somewhere else. If so, there is good news and bad news about that.

The good news is more chance of someone seeing suspicious activity in the day or 2 or 3 after she was known to have been disappeared. People need to be made aware to think back if they saw anything suspicous not only on the day she disappeared but in the days afterwards. Like do we know of any trips some people made that was out of town or anything.

The bad news is the 2nd place is much liklier to be a better dumping ground and it will be much more difficult to find her.

Thank you.
I couldn't cut and paste from the online edition of the newspaper, so have written out the pertinent points that I feel are new or elaborate more on what we already know.......

------------------------------------------------

Police don't know exactly what happened to Heather Elvis. but they don't believe her disappearance is a random act.

Rhodes said investigators are much further along in the investigation......."We fell like we have a good opportunity to solve this case", she said. "We have a few theories. It is not at a standstill."

......Investigators don't think human trafficking is tied to Elvis' disappearance. They also don't think she ran away. Also don't believe Elvis' disappearance is connected to any other case.

Through the warrants, Police have searched Elvis' social media accounts including private messages accessible only by password. the contents of those messages have not been released. Police have also searched homes and private properties, but Rhodes declined to specify where, citing the ongoing investigation.
"We don't have anything we can share publically. We're still working on it diligently.

Elvis and Moorer exchanged communications between 2 and 6am, mostly through private messaging, but wouldn't say what those discussions entailed.

They also mention that receipts found in Heather's car dated 17th December weren't important. Receipts were from Kangaroo and McDonalds on the afternoon before she disappeared.

So, basically, they are ruling out random, sex trafficking and serial...leaving what? Someone she knew. And mention the private contact as being between Heather and SM.

So, basically, they are ruling out random, sex trafficking and serial...leaving what? Someone she knew. And mention the private contact as being between Heather and SM.

the importance of the conversation between HE and BW (not discussed by request of LE) and the "private messages" back and forth till 6 AM. are building blocks in this slow developing case,imo. The messages and conversation not being released doesn't give the perp an opportunity to fine tune an alibi ei. a suspect covering his/her tracks in regards to DNA in the car, etc.

I am really starting to feel sick at my stomach with the options that are available as to the outcome of finding Heather. The post of the pond nearby with gators is more than I can hardly stand. I hadn't thought of that option but having lived not far from that area many years ago- I had forgotten about the gators- gators are almost always present and come right out on and around golf courses which there is a pond, water hole,etc. I just wonder if LE has thought to have those type areas dragged for evidence- Please GOD, let Heather have run off somewhere and return soon because the other options are so grim ! Her poor family- my heart aches for them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenandheard View Post
Continued interview with Police Chief, more information on Black Jeep, release of more information about communications and timelines.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/eedition_...est_chronicle/

http://www.myhorrynews.com/eedition...8f06-0980-5338-bcc9-a408e4f6eb99.html#page_a3

THE INVESTIGATION
RE: Chief Rhodes said, "(Currently), we have found less of a need for ground searching'.

On page 3 of the myhorrynews.com article, I find it very interesting that investigators decided that CUE is no longer needed for assistance in ground searching.

I am really starting to feel sick at my stomach with the options that are available as to the outcome of finding Heather. The post of the pond nearby with gators is more than I can hardly stand. I hadn't thought of that option but having lived not far from that area many years ago- I had forgotten about the gators- gators are almost always present and come right out on and around golf courses which there is a pond, water hole,etc. I just wonder if LE has thought to have those type areas dragged for evidence- Please GOD, let Heather have run off somewhere and return soon because the other options are so grim ! Her poor family- my heart aches for them !

I'm feeling the same way. And jumping off your post here, I'll add that I live in an area with a sizeable gator population. I always thought of them being dormant/hibernating in cold weather. However, a Fb friend has been posting pictures of one surfacing lately on his property, despite our record-cold temps of late. So my thoughts of them being less active during this time period may not be as locked down as I had previously thought.

I guess I have seen some cold cases revived and solved by PI's...just can't think of active, fresh cases, where a PI comes in and makes the difference, JMO.

Vanity Fair story about PI working on the girl who disappeared out an airport motel. He was the one to figure out that the perps took her out in a very large and heavy suitcase. He noticed the suitcase in the elevator security footage. LE missed it.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/12/vanishing-blonde-201012

BBM

My septic tank has a plastic lid much like a plastic garbage can lid and is above ground. Most others that I have ever seen around here are much the same.

Mine also has a level meter hooked up with an alarm in case the liquid level rises too high. Then, it would need pumped out. I've only had this done once in the 5 years I've lived here and, I seriously don't think it was because the levels were actually too high – I think the meter was just faulty.

As for chemical treatment, we use Rid-X. It helps the sludge break down faster.

Yeah... pretty gross.

I will take a picture of ours then and post it here.

Happy Valentine's Day btw! :heartbeat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member