SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd give my strength to Terry & Debbie & their other children & the LE for having strength not to bop someone in the nose for what's on social media. that is just unbelievable in my opinion. Keep on, keeping on, I guess. Not smart. Finding Heather is all this is about and finding who took her and proving it for a court of law.

More power to them!

Amen, Dr.!

On the ligter side:

In the last thread we had a discussion about septic tanks:

Newly installed - Photo
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1/420224_10151471699958151_1121917699_n.jpg

Bagpiper at a Funeral

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a Pauper’s’ cemetery in the back country.
As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn’t stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play.
<sniped - read more>

On the ligter side:

Newly installed - Photo
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1/420224_10151471699958151_1121917699_n.jpg

Bagpiper at a Funeral

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a Pauper’s’ cemetery in the back country.
As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn’t stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play.
<sniped - read more>

I love it. :floorlaugh: I really needed a laugh on this Monday morning. It's been a long week with the ice storm cleanup. Praying today is the day that Heather comes home!!

I wonder if it's easier/more newsworthy if a LOCAL is missing as opposed to a visitor? A visitor/tourist would be from far away & so not as much local interest. Trying to get searches going & publicity would definitely be harder if you weren't local. Prolly couldn't get enuf ppl to search & locals wouldn't tend to pay much attention to a stranger-the family/friends couldn't get as involved either-it would be harder for a stranger to be noticed.:twocents:

I believe it is more about having someone who is a VOCAL advocate for the missing person. Amber was local, but I am outside MB and heard nothing about it. Brittanee Drexel was not local, but her mother was very vocal. Then look at the case of Angie Pipkin missing about a month ago from Aynor. There is only one thread with 2 pages. Her family has set up FB page, but very little is heard from them.

I believe the main we hear so much about HE is because of her dad. There is no quit in the man.

I believe a lot depends on family, as to which cases gain staying power with media and locals. Marc Klaas has always said it up to the family to pursue media and keep after LE. It shouldn't be that way...but "squeaky wheel" and all that...

But Heather's family is extremely proactive, and the case barely got national media attention. If we're going to say it's up to the parents, this case should be much bigger nationally than it is. Same with Brittanee's case; Of course it got national coverage, but it's a fraction of what other cases have gotten. There are a lot of cases like that. I am not saying that parents don't play a role, but the "powers that be" determine how big a case is going to be.

I guess I see only a limited value in national attention in many of these cases, other than to try to get interviews with LE. But if that is not happening, media is not going to stick around. There are new stories every day. No big media is going to leave a reporter in town, if they are not getting anything, IMO. Only a very small handful of stories stay in the limelight, and they seem to need more than a possible love triangle. We see cases of certain kids (JonBonet, Madeline, Natalee) and a few adults (Lacy, Stacey) grabbing public interest in a more long-lasting way. Just not room for too many, IMO. They have to have some special twist, IMO, and we don't always know what that might be.

JMO

I guess I see only a limited value in national attention in many of these cases, other than to try to get interviews with LE. But if that is not happening, media is not going to stick around. There are new stories every day. No big media is going to leave a reporter in town, if they are not getting anything, IMO. Only a very small handful of stories stay in the limelight, and they seem to need more than a possible love triangle. We see cases of certain kids (JonBonet, Madeline, Natalee) and a few adults (Lacy, Stacey) grabbing public interest in a more long-lasting way. Just not room for too many, IMO. They have to have some special twist, IMO, and we don't always know what that might be.

JMO

I feel that most family members of missing persons do not aim for that level of media coverage, but are instead very happy with just being mentioned a few times on the national news. For Heather's case, no her case is a not a big national story, but to her family, it's been on NG, JVM, GMA, and Dateline, and that's a huge deal. I think that the media coverage the cases mentioned above got is not seen as realistic. And I think many families would see it as excessive as they also saw the media circus of those cases. IMO Most families would be ecstatic at getting one segment on CNN.

I think the value of media coverage is sort of seen as symbolic in many cases.

On the ligter side:

Newly installed - Photo

Bagpiper at a Funeral

<sniped - read more>
thank you for the Monday morning chuckle...:floorlaugh:

I believe it is more about having someone who is a VOCAL advocate for the missing person. Amber was local, but I am outside MB and heard nothing about it. Brittanee Drexel was not local, but her mother was very vocal. Then look at the case of Angie Pipkin missing about a month ago from Aynor. There is only one thread with 2 pages. Her family has set up FB page, but very little is heard from them.

I believe the main we hear so much about HE is because of her dad. There is no quit in the man.

Same here..this case was never mentioned here in any media, not once..

But Heather's family is extremely proactive, and the case barely got national media attention. If we're going to say it's up to the parents, this case should be much bigger nationally than it is. Same with Brittanee's case; Of course it got national coverage, but it's a fraction of what other cases have gotten. There are a lot of cases like that. I am not saying that parents don't play a role, but the "powers that be" determine how big a case is going to be.

It's all about what the media "feels" (aka drawing viewers) about it. Unfortunately missing persons cases (as we all know here on WS) are plentiful and there needs to be a certain distinction to draw national attention ,imo.

Same here..this case was never mentioned here in any media, not once..

I only know of BD, AP, HE, AB from here. I have not seen them on my local tv. The only shows I saw them on was HE on NG and that's bc I knew she was going to be on. That was the first and only time I watched. Other than that and being here, I would have no knowledge of any of these girls. The media picks up different stories for whatever reason. I think the chance of these girls being in the area I am in is not even a chance, which is why the story isn't shown here. The benefit could be there MB is a vacation spot and someone could have seen something. We are only 15 hrs and drive to the East coast all the time. I don't blame the families. We just have so many missing people where I live. I don't even tell WS everyone time one is announced because I feel like it happens so often, mostly young runaways.

I only know of BD, AP, HE, AB from here. I have not seen them on my local tv. The only shows I saw them on was HE on NG and that's bc I knew she was going to be on. That was the first and only time I watched. Other than that and being here, I would have no knowledge of any of these girls. The media picks up different stories for whatever reason. I think the chance of these girls being in the area I am in is not even a chance, which is why the story isn't shown here. The benefit could be there MB is a vacation spot and someone could have seen something. We are only 15 hrs and drive to the East coast all the time. I don't blame the families. We just have so many missing people where I live. I don't even tell WS everyone time one is announced because I feel like it happens so often, mostly young runaways.

I first learned of HE because of a FB share of her missing poster. Except for here, I haven't seen any other information about her locally. I missed the NG show she was on, and wouldn't have know of it if I didn't learn of it here.

We stayed up late last night and saw forensic files on TV. A no body, no gun just a shell casing and phone records 15 years later landed a guy in jail for life!!! for the revenge murder from a love triangle.........so someone can run, hide and still get convicted!
BTW everyday some new type of forensic test comes available, great minds out there!

IMHO, I think the difference is the drama the Elvis family, family friends, and supporters have begun it keeps people posting. However please google BD's case. Not only was BD's parents, boyfriend, and Peter B, and others been in the national media on Nancy G, Jane Velez, Dr. Phil, Maury Povitch, Investigative Discovery, radio shows, carolinalive did multiple stories as well as local media in both Myrtle beach and Rochester. Their has been dozens of public searches, task forces, and annual events; as well as a memorial planted in BD's honor. BD will be missing 5 years this April, what has been similar in both cases LE did not name a POI for at least 1 year after her abduction the first was dismissed. LE did give out more info and held press conferences in BDs disappearance. The 2nd POI they named as a POI Ray Moody the parents have said is no longer a POI, however that was not listed in MSM.

About 3 weeks ago, I asked what the most publicized crime case in MB history would be. A lot of locals replied telling me Brittanee's case. I wonder if that is still true.

I agree RC. Dawn Drexel is amazing, and I think Brittanee is one of the more well-known cases nationally because of her. Heather may rival hers at some point- but it may be because of the two locations (MD and NY) that Dawn was able to garner so much ongoing publicity.

That makes me so sad about Amber and Angie being relatively unknown. I guess that's one of the reasons I stay here at WS. Because we don't forget them. We never forget...

On the ligter side:

Newly installed - Photo

Bagpiper at a Funeral

<sniped - read more>

That is so sweet to do, his spirit knew you were there!

This has gone on way too long. Please let this be the week that Heather (in my mind I call her Feather ~ cause it makes me smile) is found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OkCujo98