SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Petah, Petah, Petah, said in my Best Bette Davis Impression.....You didn't say it was a MAN!!! My heart raced when I saw that skeletal remains were found. I thought this was Heather!!!
IMOO.

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Petah, Petah, Petah, said in my Best Bette Davis Impression.....

You didn't say it was a MAN!!! My heart raced when I saw that skeletal remains were found. I thought this was Heather!!!

IMOO.

SSS, on my phone. :floorlaugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the ligter side:

In the last thread we had a discussion about septic tanks:

Newly installed - Photo
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1/420224_10151471699958151_1121917699_n.jpg

Bagpiper at a Funeral

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a Pauper’s’ cemetery in the back country.
As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn’t stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn’t know what else to do, so I started to play.
<sniped - read more>

:floorlaugh:

That is a hilarious story and a perfect ending to all the septic talk. :) Thanks Foxfire for sharing.

Even though the searches are not bringing HE home, some others will go home to their families. This man has been missing 20+ years........his dear family will get answers, I hope. Now it is Heather's turn.

But Heather's family is extremely proactive, and the case barely got national media attention. If we're going to say it's up to the parents, this case should be much bigger nationally than it is. Same with Brittanee's case; Of course it got national coverage, but it's a fraction of what other cases have gotten. There are a lot of cases like that. I am not saying that parents don't play a role, but the "powers that be" determine how big a case is going to be.

As far as what makes a case "blow up" into a huge national news story, I think it is a combination of many things and it is very unpredictable. Its similar to the question of what makes certain people become movie stars and yet thousands of people go to hollywood with that dream.

IMO
The public and their appetite for the story plays an important role. Something has to catch the public's interest and retain that interest. Like with the McCann's child, I think it was just the fact that a lot of people saw that picture of the blond child and really felt sorry for the kid. And then the questions about the parents. So it generated a huge interest.

For the Holloway case, I think the main thing was the public can relate to going on a vacation and all of a sudden you disappear. Her mother really helped generate interest, but the "story" of a spring break trip and never coming home is a huge public interest story as people can relate to it as being a horrible situation. And we had someone to hate. The POI was someone a lot of people disliked. Combine that with the public grief from the Mom and the story took off.

So I dont think we can ever really predict which case will blow up, but I do agree that the parents can help generate public interest by spreading the news as much as possible. But I do think the public decides which stories they want to latch onto. Then the media follows their lead.

As far as what makes a case "blow up" into a huge national news story, I think it is a combination of many things and it is very unpredictable. Its similar to the question of what makes certain people become movie stars and yet thousands of people go to hollywood with that dream.

IMO

The public and their appetite for the story plays an important role. Something has to catch the public's interest and retain that interest. Like with the McCann's child, I think it was just the fact that a lot of people saw that picture of the blond child and really felt sorry for the kid. And then the questions about the parents. So it generated a huge interest.

For the Holloway case, I think the main thing was the public can relate to going on a vacation and all of a sudden you disappear. Her mother really helped generate interest, but the "story" of a spring break trip and never coming home is a huge public interest story as people can relate to it as being a horrible situation. And we had someone to hate. The POI was someone a lot of people disliked. Combine that with the public grief from the Mom and the story took off.

So I dont think we can ever really predict which case will blow up, but I do agree that the parents can help generate public interest by spreading the news as much as possible. But I do think the public decides which stories they want to latch onto. Then the media follows their lead.

I think other things in the news also plays a role. If some big story of political scandal, or natural disaster, or world news breaks it will be more difficult to get one's missing story out due to competing stories. On the other hand if it's a slow news day/month/season one is more likely to get their pleas heard.

I think the media pretty much knows how big a case is going to be when they first hear of it, or at least in the first week. And I don't just mean because they determine that, but because they can look at the circumstances of the case, and just know how much interest there will be. They've been covering true crime for decades; they probably have some idea.

IMO it isn't any easier for HE's date to clear himself than anyone else...except for someone who is guilty of something. The date could clear himself because he was innocent. He had nothing to hide.

I only say that bc I think there is more possibility his alibi isn't related to him. Although I agree that having nothing to hide and being innocent makes a difference.

ETA: I am not sure how far we can go saying anything, so I will just say, I think I am on the same page as you, based on what we know. My basic point from the beginning was we don't know what he has or has not told the police and if he can be 100% cleared even *if* he is 100% innocent JMO

I only say that bc I think there is more possibility his alibi isn't related to him. Although I agree that having nothing to hide and being innocent makes a difference.

ETA: I am not sure how far we can go saying anything, so I will just say, I think I am on the same page as you, based on what we know. My basic point from the beginning was we don't know what he has or has not told the police and if he can be 100% cleared even *if* he is 100% innocent JMO

I completely agree with you. Many have came and said the same thing and that his alibi may be the only thing he can't prove. Many have said at that time of the night how difficult those are to establish or prove. I have many nights were I am alone, just with children or have adults and children with me. Any of those possibly wouldn't be able to provide me an alibi or clear me. The police have spoken to him and that is all I know. I will not leap to assumptions that he may or may not have cooperated, taken a polygraph, had stuff searched, etc. I am sticking to basic facts.

Who do we think LE was referring to when they stated some are cooperating and some aren't?
And how do we think LE defines cooperation?
If someone has done everything LE has asked but circumstances regarding an alibi (one lives alone or only with children and it's late they are sleeping etc) have made it impossible to clear someone, is that cooperating?

Who do we think LE was referring to when they stated some are cooperating and some aren't?
If someone has done everything LE has asked but circumstances regarding an alibi (one lives alone or only with children and it's late they are sleeping etc) have made it impossible to clear someone, is that cooperating?

IMO, they're likely referring to OMM.

I'd say LE defines "cooperation" as being willing to meet and speak with them, and being forthcoming with any and all info a person may have.

I think the scenario you're describing would still fall under being cooperative, but unable to be fully cleared.

I found an article from January 6th that states some aren't cooperating. I don't know if this statement was said again recently. If not, has the some since cooperated I wonder? Maybe all parties have or just one person has not. There so many articles, I can't remember them all. The "some" can mean him, his wife, RSO's, the other ex, and/or other people we may have thought of or not suspected. What they define and we define as cooperation may be different. If any of those people have a lawyer, could not coming in with them to speak be not cooperating? Or refusal of a polygraph even if a lawyer says not to do one? Not having an alibi wouldn't necessarily be not cooperating. I don't think that is the initial statement unless the "some" people wouldn't give their alibi. That could be the reason for not clearing someone. I have seen many cases where they were unable to clear someone because they had no alibi. I don't know if that's the case here. We just don't have a lot of facts.

I just found the same necklace on Spike's website

http://www.hollywoodbodyjewelry.com/product/5611/

I agree very distinctive.

EXCELLENT. I was trying to find anything that could sell that cross. You found it.

Now I wonder if LE can contact the store and get them to pull up everyone that bought that cross. It would have to be someone that bought it or got it as a gift from that store.

I found an article from January 6th that states some aren't cooperating. I don't know if this statement was said again recently. If not, has the some since cooperated I wonder? Maybe all parties have or just one person has not. There so many articles, I can't remember them all. The "some" can mean him, his wife, RSO's, the other ex, and/or other people we may have thought of or not suspected. What they define and we define as cooperation may be different. If any of those people have a lawyer, could not coming in with them to speak be not cooperating? Or refusal of a polygraph even if a lawyer says not to do one? Not having an alibi wouldn't necessarily be not cooperating. I don't think that is the initial statement unless the "some" people wouldn't give their alibi. That could be the reason for not clearing someone. I have seen many cases where they were unable to clear someone because they had no alibi. I don't know if that's the case here. We just don't have a lot of facts.

There are many possibilities and little facts released to the public that's why I've asked the questions. Just trying to throw something out there to maybe start some conversations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18