SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I agree with you that you can't do anything if your DNA isn't in the system. The single biggest thing to make an impact on crime was DNA. GPS has made somewhat of a dent because it now gives you an area to look in a lot of cases.

If a perp's DNA is not in the FBI VICAP database, it may take years or even decades for their identification. One of the latest crime fighting tools/investigative resources that has shortened this ID time is Familial DNA/Laws.

(CA)Grim Sleeper Awakens Attention to Familial Searching of DNA Databases. ... that belonging to the son of the man now identified as the Grim Sleeper..

Grim Sleeper Awakens Attention to Familial Searching of DNA Databases
Posted by James Cass on July 13, 2010

Last week, the Los Angeles Police Department announced that it had captured a man suspected of being the “Grim Sleeper”: a serial killer linked with at least 10 murders over 25 years. The case marks the first time in the United States that a DNA search technique known as familial searching has led to an arrest in a homicide case.

As we’ve previously discussed, a partial match between two DNA profiles may indicate that the donors of the corresponding samples may be related. In familial searching, a database is searched for the purpose of identifying partial, rather than exact, matches against the sample of unknown origin. Those partial matches are then used as investigatory leads.
<sniped - read more>

I've read through everything here and news articles and FB findheatherelvis page and I keep thinking that she may have left her home after her date, driven to the landing-if her family owned property there she has to be familiar with the area and even the creepiest of areas aren't so creepy when one is familiar with them. She may have driven there to meet up with someone, to pick up something, hang out for a bit. Which would explain why the car wasn't really parked or why are her belongings were supposedly in there. She didn't plan to stay long.These days no one leaves their phone anywhere so if her phone wasn't in the car that makes sense.
Maybe while she was hanging out a bit, something went terribly wrong and whoever she was with panicked and/or wasn't in their proper mind and put her somewhere.
Maybe that is why the one article said no one else has admitted to speaking with her when they stated another call came in or was made after the call to the roommate. A call to/from a number the family didn't recognize but the roommate was able to shed some light on.
Maybe the reason no one is coming forward is they were up to things that weren't exactly legal but not murderous and they don't want to get in trouble.
They need to realize these parents need their daughter back-that is more important than any bad details emerging.
I've heard it happen too many times with younger people.
This family needs their girl back. They need answers. Someone needs to come forward and provide them.
This isn't to suggest that HE was bad or the people she was with are bad. It isn't to suggest that the family is wrong. When kids are finding their way they may have lives or aspects of their life that family is completely unaware of. And that's okay.
If that is the case here, something may have gone horribly wrong as things can go and they deserve to have their daughter back no matter what happened.

All of this is just my own speculation but it's the only one that seems to fit with the few pieces of info that are available.
I hope I'm wrong. I hope she is found safe. I hope this family gets answers. The unknown can drive a person mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent article:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_57b23e96-7085-11e3-a353-001a4bcf6878.html

This has to be an error in the article:

Horry County police at this time consider Cross' disappearance to unrelated to the disappearance of Heather Elvis, 20, who was last seen leaving the River Oaks Drive area after a date.

Her last known location was at about 2 a.m. Dec. 17 on White River Drive just off River Oaks Drive in the Carolina Forest area. Her vehicle, a dark green 2001 Dodge Intrepid, was found in Socastee at Peachtree Landing.

Her last known location I thought was 2 AM on Dec. 18th. And she was seen LEAVING the River Oaks Drive area AFTER a date, per the article? This would imply that maybe her date or someone else saw her get in her car and leave? That wouldn't be right as it has been stated in previous articles that it was not known what clothes she was wearing. This would appear to be an error.

Someone could have seen her driving but couldn't tell what she was wearing.

'Folks, HCPD would not have sent the remains to TX, if they were animal bones'...

http://www.whec.com/article/stories/s3263236.shtml

Updated: 12/30/2013 12:04 AM
Created: 12/29/2013 10:22 PM WHEC.com
Skeletal remains have been found near Myrtle Beach in South Carolina.

Sunday night the family of missing teen Brittanee Drexel was waiting and wondering if it could be Brittanee.

News10NBC spoke with Brittanee's mother, Dawn Drexel. She was contacted Sunday by law enforcement.

Horry County Police say the remains were found Saturday scattered across a wooded area about 25 miles from where Brittanee Drexel was last seen in 2009.

It's important to note at this point police cannot confirm if the remains are human. Investigators say it appears they had been there for years, and believe they could have been moved around by an animal. K-9 teams have been out searching the area.

Right now, police tell News10NBC the remains are being sent to Texas for DNA sampling.

Good Morning Foxfire and Websleuthers! When viewing the map within this article, it seems like the area in which they were searching for Heather is near her job. Please correct me if I am wrong, trying as a Mainer to orient myself.

I've read through everything here and news articles and FB findheatherelvis page and I keep thinking that she may have left her home after her date, driven to the landing-if her family owned property there she has to be familiar with the area and even the creepiest of areas aren't so creepy when one is familiar with them. She may have driven there to meet up with someone, to pick up something, hang out for a bit. Which would explain why the car wasn't really parked or why are her belongings were supposedly in there. She didn't plan to stay long.These days no one leaves their phone anywhere so if her phone wasn't in the car that makes sense.
Maybe while she was hanging out a bit, something went terribly wrong and whoever she was with panicked and/or wasn't in their proper mind and put her somewhere.
Maybe that is why the one article said no one else has admitted to speaking with her when they stated another call came in or was made after the call to the roommate. A call to/from a number the family didn't recognize but the roommate was able to shed some light on.
Maybe the reason no one is coming forward is they were up to things that weren't exactly legal but not murderous and they don't want to get in trouble.
They need to realize these parents need their daughter back-that is more important than any bad details emerging.
This family needs their girl back. They need answers. Someone needs to come forward and provide them.
This isn't to suggest that HE was bad or the people she was with are bad. It isn't to suggest that the family is wrong. When kids are finding their way they may have lives or aspects of their life that family is completely unaware of. And that's okay.
If that is the case here, something may have gone horribly wrong as things can go and they deserve to have their daughter back no matter what happened.

All of this is just my own speculation but it's the only one that seems to fit with the few pieces of info that are available.
I hope I'm wrong. I hope she is found safe. I hope this family gets answers. The unknown can drive a person mad.

This poignant post hit grabs me by the heart & pulls until I am unable to breathe - imagining the pain of Heather's parents, family & support system. I then recall myself at age 20 (many moons ago, back when prolific SK were IMO better hidden in the shadows & without access to social media to facilitate quicker access to their prey - JMO).

Until we hear from the HCPD, or are blessed - IMO - with the involvement of another entity, I.e., the FBI or a vetted MP foundation (KlaasKids Foundation), the public is left with little choice but to spin their wheels into a collective frenzy.

The citizens of Horry County deserve better than that. The Elvis family DEFINITELY deserves more! Their tireless activism (printing flyers, etc.) may be all that is keeping Terry going at this juncture JMO.

We must keep sleuthing, as doing so allows us to be a voice for the Elvis family - most of all Heather. She deserves to have the truth brought to light.

Someone knows something. Life happens and Heather deserved to make it back safely, just as all the cases we sleuth do. It's what drives us here at WS and I know I'm not alone when I say, we will not stop.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

:heartbeat: for #HeatherElvis :heartbeat:
#HelpFindHeatherElvis
#FindHeatherElvis
#BringHeatherHome

ETA: p.s. my apologies for the messed up quotes & signature. :blushing:

Recent article:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_57b23e96-7085-11e3-a353-001a4bcf6878.html

This has to be an error in the article:
Horry County police at this time consider Cross' disappearance to unrelated to the disappearance of Heather Elvis, 20, who was last seen leaving the River Oaks Drive area after a date.

Her last known location was at about 2 a.m. Dec. 17 on White River Drive just off River Oaks Drive in the Carolina Forest area. Her vehicle, a dark green 2001 Dodge Intrepid, was found in Socastee at Peachtree Landing.

Her last known location I thought was 2 AM on Dec. 18th. And she was seen LEAVING the River Oaks Drive area AFTER a date, per the article? This would imply that maybe her date or someone else saw her get in her car and leave? That wouldn't be right as it has been stated in previous articles that it was not known what clothes she was wearing. This would appear to be an error.

Bold with red text by me - Yes, that appears to be the correct date.

This discrepancy has existed since the beginning for some reason--maybe the media outlet not checking the dates.

Heather's parents say she was at their house on Tuesday the 17th--I have heard both afternoon and early evening for a time--to pick up her mail.

Good Morning Foxfire and Websleuthers! When viewing the map within this article, it seems like the area in which they were searching for Heather is near her job. Please correct me if I am wrong, trying as a Mainer to orient myself.

The map they showed during the news cast is wrong. That's Tidewater Dr in North Myrtle Beach. The remains were found at Tidewater Rd in Myrtle Beach closer to Conway and HE's condo.

Another example of how MSM can skew information/facts...

This poignant post hit grabs me by the heart & pulls until I am unable to breathe - imagining the pain of Heather's parents, family & support system. I then recall myself at age 20 (many moons ago, back when prolific SK were IMO better hidden in the shadows & without access to social media to facilitate quicker access to their prey - JMO).

Until we hear from the HCPD, or are blessed -IMO - with the involvement of another entity, I.e., the FBI or a vetted MP foundation (KlaasKids Foundation), the public is left with little choice but to spin their wheels into a collective frenzy.

The citizens of Horry County deserve better than that. The Elvis family DEFINITELY deserve more! Their tireless activism (printing flyers, etc.) may be all that is keeping Terry going at this juncture JMO.

We must keep sleuthing, as doing so allows us to be a voice for the Elvis family - most of all Heather. She deserves to have the truth brought to light.

Someone knows something. Life happens and Heather deserved to make it back safely, just as all the cases we sleuth do. It's what drives us here at WS and I know I'm not alone when I say, we will not stop.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

:heartbeat: for #HeatherElvis :heartbeat:
#HelpFindHeatherElvis
#FindHeatherElvis
#BringHeatherHome

ETA: p.s. my apologies for the messed up quotes & signature. :blushing:

Well said, Kimi SFC!

When I read through here, I can't help remember myself being 20 years old; even though I'm surprised I can remember back that far.

I'm praying Heather and her family; but I am worrying my behind off, too. This is very concerning.

The map they showed during the news cast is wrong. That's Tidewater Dr in North Myrtle Beach. The remains were found at Tidewater Rd in Myrtle Beach closer to Conway and HE's condo.

Thanks, MBNative. I thought that was off, and thank you for the correction.

Someone in Brittanee's thread asked if the tv station got the street wrong.
It is post#188
SC SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #16 - Page 8 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Maybe one of the locals can go over and answer?

3 days before HE reported disappearance a suspicious person/veh was reported to police near her residence

Other - 4XX RIVER OAKS DR, HORRY COUNTY, SC

12/14/2013 02:05 PM.
SUSP PERSON/VEH Case number: 13115687.

To name a few more @Topcat...

Other - 60XX PEACHTREE RD, HORRY COUNTY, SC
06/16/2013 07:54 AM.
SUSP PERSON/VEH Case number: 13053801

Other - 54XX PEACHTREE RD, HORRY COUNTY, SC
08/15/2013 09:21 PM.
SUSP PERSON/VEH Case number: 13076063

Other - MILL POND RD&PEACHTREE RD, HORRY COUNTY, SC
11/23/2013 02:37 AM.
SUSP PERSON/VEH Case number: 13109425

To name a few more @Topcat...

Other - 60XX PEACHTREE RD, HORRY COUNTY, SC
06/16/2013 07:54 AM.
SUSP PERSON/VEH Case number: 13053801

Other - 54XX PEACHTREE RD, HORRY COUNTY, SC
08/15/2013 09:21 PM.
SUSP PERSON/VEH Case number: 13076063

Other - MILL POND RD&PEACHTREE RD, HORRY COUNTY, SC
11/23/2013 02:37 AM.
SUSP PERSON/VEH Case number: 13109425
This is very eye opening in that it supports the stranger abduction theory.

Even if she left her condo to meet someone she knew or to do a bit of late night shopping, she could have fallen into harms way from a completely unknown individual.

Someone in Brittanee's thread asked if the tv station got the street wrong.
It is post#188
SC SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #16 - Page 8 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Maybe one of the locals can go over and answer?

Yes and stating in news the location is 25 miles from where Brittanee was last seen is completely incorrect it is 6 miles from where Brittanee was last seen. Interesting that if these are BD's remains how the perp hid her right near HE's location. I think time will tell if these two cases are linked. Hard to say right now with some hints of ex-boyfriends in HEs case.

One thing I keep seeing people ask about is HE's cell phone. Obvisously, LE does not have her cell phone. If they did, they would not talk about last pings, unidentified calls/texts nor offer vague information about it. Deduction leads to this conclusion.

Yes and stating in news the location is 25 miles from where Brittanee was last seen is completely incorrect it is 6 miles from where Brittanee was last seen.
<<snip>>

I have a feeling that MSM has other things wrong in HE's case. Too many articles quote old articles, some with incorrect information (incorrect reward amount, incorrect date/time for last ping, etc).

Heather20K_zpscd1b190c.jpg

*start of flyer (text format)

MISSING

HEATHER IS 5'1" AND WEIGHS 118 POUNDS - SHE HAS BROWN/AUBURN HAIR AND BROWN EYES

PLEASE HELP US FIND OUR DAUGHTER

ON OR ABOUT DECEMBER 17TH, 2013, HEATHER R. ELVIS AGE 20 WAS LAST HEARD FROM AROUND 3:00AM. HER LAST KNOWN LOCATION WAS AT 2:00AM NEAR 541 WHITERIVER DRIVE JUST OFF RIVER OAKS DRIVE IN MYRTLE BEACH SC. HER CAR A DARK GREEN 2001 DODGE INTREPID WAS FOUND PARKED IN SOCASTEE SC AT PEACHTREE LANDING.

REWARD UP TO $20,000.00 OFFERED FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO THE CLOSURE OF THIS CASE AND THE LOCATION OF OUR DAUGHTER HEATHER R. ELVIS.

THIS IS OUR CHILD, OUR DAUGHTER, OUR REASON FOR LIVING. I BEG OF YOU, IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION THAT MAY BE HELPFUL NO MATTER HOW SMALL, PLEASE CONTACT ME OR THE HORRY COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT AT THE FOLLOWING NUMBERS. YOUR IDENTITY WILL BE PROTECTED AND YOUR INFORMATION WILL BE APPRECIATED MORE THAN WE CAN EXPRESS WITH WORDS.

ANYONE WITH INFORMATION ON HER LOCATION OR DISAPPEARANCE IS ASKED TO CALL THE HORRY COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT (843) 915-5350 OR ME AT (843) 457-5747

YOU CAN REPORT ON FACEBOOK HERE: http://on.fb.me/1hrsLNY, ON TWITTER: http://twitter.com/horrycountypd OR ONLINE AT http://police.horrycounty.org/

843.915.TIPS

*end of flyer

More links / info:

http://www.facebook.com/findheatherelvis

**IF YOU WERE AT OR NEAR PEACHTREE LANDING FROM 10pm TUESDAY, DECEMBER 17th UNTIL 6am WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 18th, PLEASE CONTACT US! YOU MAY HAVE SEEN SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE REALIZED. YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!**

Here are some hashtags, thank you Kimi!
#FindHeatherElvis
#FindHeather
#HeatherElvis

I agree. The only scenario that fits for me with the limited information we have is that Heather drove to the Landing to meet someone. The K.I.S.S. principle....Keep it simple stupid...may very well apply to Heather's case.
I won't speculate on the reason she went there. But I do remember doing such things when I was in college back in the dark ages and the reasons why. I also raised 2 kids and there were times they went out very late when Heather's age that shocked me once I found out.

My opinion.....Heather agreed to meet someone at the landing and got into the persons car for some reason.

wm

IMO, from following a jillion cases, this LE is not being any more secretive than most. The cases where LE is open with the public tend to catch us off guard, almost, as they are quite rare (i.e Jessica R.). The trouble is that we can't tell if they know a lot, or almost nothing, from their silence. Often we assume they do not need help from the public, only to have them finally break down and ask, months later when memories are lacking. LE tends to be far too secretive in MP cases, IMO, out of habit and it seldom does the victim any good.

JMO
What would you say the success rate is as far as locating the missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli