SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madeleine74, respectfully, there is every reason to release as much information as possible to the public. An informed and aware public is the most valuable investigative resource available to LEAs in missing persons cases. The public is synonymous to a security camera across the landscape of America.

Asking the public to report any suspicious activity or if anyone has seen a person who looked like the missing person in the general vicinity, yes, I agree, that's what LE needs.

LE is never going to tell the public what they've discovered so far and what they are thinking and where any leads are, well, leading them. They may say a few things, but they never tell the public much, if anything. That is standard protocol. LE's job, along with solving cases, is to preserve the case so there can be legal resolution if a crime has been committed. The DA needs to have a clean case to take forward. Telling the public all the details of an ongoing investigation does not help protect a case.

The public is never and will never be brought into the inner workings of any investigation. The only way to be an investigator in a case is to be in LE or become a private investigator.

As such, speculation by the public is really more about entertainment for the people doing the speculating, almost like they are watching a live episode of CSI and they are trying to guess how the case will be solved and 'who-dun-it.'

Another comment I must make about the shoddy news reporting and lack of info around these parts IMO is that there is no mention or connection made to the search performed on Saturday in and around HE's condo.

Possible human skeletal remains were found on Tidewater Road Saturday morning.

No mention of who found them and how they were found! We can only speculate that they were discovered while searching for HE on Saturday.

Local Myrtle Beach News
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=988179#.UsGrbmRDtEU

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24322765/horry-county-police-say-skeletal-remains-found-in-myrtle-beach

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24322587/skeletal

Skeletal remains found near Myrtle Beach - Rochester News, NY
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3263236.shtml

Hello All,

I received the High Resolution Flyer from the Administrator of the http://facebook.com/FindHeatherElvis page.

You can find it here:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10076571&postcount=18

My hope is that you will share it on your social media feeds, and (if you are able), print and post it, wherever you may be.

Anything we can do to help #BringHeatherHome :please:
:grouphug:
#FindHeatherElvis
#FindHeather

Heather20k-page1_zps650cfe94.jpg

You Rock Kimi, thank you!!

'Respectfully sniped & BBM for focus'..

This poignant post hit grabs me by the heart & pulls until I am unable to breathe - imagining the pain of Heather's parents, family & support system.

We must keep sleuthing, as doing so allows us to be a voice for the Elvis family - most of all Heather. She deserves to have the truth brought to light

Someone knows something. Life happens and Heather deserved to make it back safely, just as all the cases we sleuth do. It's what drives us here at WS and I know I'm not alone when I say, we will not stop.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

:heartbeat: for #HeatherElvis :heartbeat:
#HelpFindHeatherElvis
#FindHeatherElvis
#BringHeatherHome

ETA: p.s. my apologies for the messed up quotes & signature. :blushing:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Never, ever, ever give up praying, searching, and sleuthing"!..

Team Heather Elvis Creed & Motto:

"WE WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER QUIT PRAYING & SEARCHING"

If we persist, if we continue to pray,

if we continue to charge forward, we will succeed !!!

WE will not hear those who weep and complain,

for their disease is contagious.

The prizes of life are at the end of each journey,

not near the beginnings,

and it is not given for us to know how many steps

are necessary in order to reach our goal.

WE will never consider defeat,

and WE will remove from our vocabulary such words as quit,

cannot, unable, impossible, failure, and retreat,

for these are the words of mere fools and cowards.

When our thoughts beckon our tired body homeward,

WE will resist the temptation to depart. WE will try again.

WE will make one more attempt to close with victory,

and if that fails, WE will make another.

When others cease their struggle,

then Team Heather Elvis, will begin, and our prayers shall be answered...

Asking the public to report any suspicious activity or if anyone has seen a person who looked like the missing person in the general vicinity, yes, I agree, that's what LE needs.

LE is never going to tell the public what they've discovered so far and what they are thinking and where any leads are, well, leading them. They may say a few things, but they never tell the public much, if anything. That is standard protocol. LE's job, along with solving cases, is to preserve the case so there can be legal resolution if a crime has been committed. The DA needs to have a clean case to take forward. Telling the public all the details of an ongoing investigation does not help protect a case.

The public is never and will never be brought into the inner workings of any investigation. The only way to be an investigator in a case is to be in LE or become a private investigator.

As such, speculation by the public is really more about entertainment for the people doing the speculating, almost like they are watching a live episode of CSI and they are trying to guess how the case will be solved and 'who-dun-it.'

Madeleine74, I honor & respect your opinion but disagree. If you research missing persons cases. The usual ones that grow cold are the ones where the antiquated silent investigative strategy, from the 1950s, is adhered too.
Silence & missinfo by LE via MS media only causes innocent victim's lives & mounting cold cases, imo.. The hold back info does no good stored in a cold case file for years or decades, imo.
There is a minimum of 8 unsolved missing/murdered persons cases in Horry County, SC since 2005.. Imo, this is tragic and speaks volumes...

TN/TBI utilizes the antiquated silent investigative strategy:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/jun/28/americas-silent-disaster/?partner=RSS

'America's silent disaster:' Mysteries of the missing
FBI: More than 1,100 'active' missing-persons cases in Tennessee; exact number unknown..
By Jim Balloch

Another comment I must make about the shoddy news reporting and lack of info around these parts IMO is that there is no mention or connection made to the search performed on Saturday in and around HE's condo.

Possible human skeletal remains were found on Tidewater Road Saturday morning.

No mention of who found them and how they were found! We can only speculate that they were discovered while searching for HE on Saturday.

Local Myrtle Beach News
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=988179#.UsGrbmRDtEU

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24322765/horry-county-police-say-skeletal-remains-found-in-myrtle-beach

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/24322587/skeletal

Skeletal remains found near Myrtle Beach - Rochester News, NY
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3263236.shtml

They were located during a search for Heather on Saturday December 28th done by a community organized search (NOT CUE).

They were located during a search for Heather on Saturday December 28th done by a community organized search (NOT CUE).

So LE and CUE weren't even going to search this area. This was a group of volunteers. Am I understanding that right.

True, but in some cases, LE has been surprisingly forthcoming with details via press conferences and media interviews.
Also, some cases have verified insiders who provide details.

Madeleine74, I honor & respect your opinion but disagree.

You disagree that LE doesn't disclose details of their investigations?

I've followed probably a dozen cases in the last decade, not as many as some for sure, but still... In no case did I ever know the inner workings of an investigation, I never knew exactly what LE knew and until a trial didn't know what physical evidence/DNA matches or other forensic evidence may have been found. I didn't know all the witnesses who were approached, who called in tips, what LE was thinking, etc.

I don't recall one case *I* followed where rank speculation or imagined scenarios by the public ever solved a crime or found a person. I do remember in various cases I followed there being searchers who found bodies, video sightings that helped, a witness or two to activities who helped break a case, forensic evidence that was found, and a few confessions along the way.

Since I had no information to provide police in any case I followed and didn't know any of the victims and wasn't a witness to anything (nor was I even in the geographic vicinity of 98% of those cases), I was merely following a case to see how it turned out.

That's been my experience over the last decade or more.

'Respectfully sniped & BBM for focus'..

"Never, ever, ever give up praying, searching, and sleuthing"!..

Team Heather Elvis Creed & Motto:

"WE WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER QUIT PRAYING & SEARCHING"

If we persist, if we continue to pray,

if we continue to charge forward, we will succeed !!!

WE will not hear those who weep and complain,

for their disease is contagious.

The prizes of life are at the end of each journey,

not near the beginnings,

and it is not given for us to know how many steps

are necessary in order to reach our goal.

WE will never consider defeat,

and WE will remove from our vocabulary such words as quit,

cannot, unable, impossible, failure, and retreat,

for these are the words of mere fools and cowards

When our thoughts beckon our tired body homeward,

WE will resist the temptation to depart. WE will try again.

WE will make one more attempt to close with victory,

and if that fails, WE will make another.

When others cease their struggle,

then Team Heather Elvis, will begin, and our prayers shall be answered...

(Above respectfully bolded & underlined by me for emphasis)

Thank you for sharing this Foxfire!
Every word rings true. These cases unite us. I am not the same person I was before I joined Websleuths. Each and every case contributes to the evolution of a sleuther. We persist, in the hopes of a positive resolution. We learn from every person behind each case, learning from their lives, trying to piece together events that occurred in the shadows, and broad daylight, away from the eyes of witnesses, in order to bring their stories into the light of truth.

The Motto & Creed of #TeamHeatherElvis brings tears to my eyes, and fans the flames within my heart. We are united in the relentless pursuit of the TRUTH - whatever it may be. Heather is counting on us, as is her family.

It is imperative that we stay in this fight, no matter what it takes, or where it leads us. I know that the WS veterans can attest that this may be no easy task.

So be it. I'm here. For Heather and for the many others Websleuths fights for.

It is an honor to do so. I wish I could do more.

So LE and CUE weren't even going to search this area. This was a group of volunteers. Am I understanding that right.

No, that is not correct. From being around the searchers for the past two days, NO area was ruled out for search. Tips were and are being followed. Searches were conducted where LE asked CUE to search.

NO details, but I personally tagged along with LE on a civilian boat to a location that was given to the tip line. The area had been searched multiple times, but the specific spot tipped was re-searched by LE due to the tip.

I don't know any more than anyone else here, but I was on the ground for 12 hours Saturday and several hours yesterday. Nothing was ruled out...and search groups went where ever LE asked them to go...in the rain, through the water, briars, forest, trails, ponds, river, lakes, swamp...ANY WHERE they were asked to go.

I've followed probably a dozen cases in the last decade, not as many as some for sure, but still... In no case did I ever know the inner workings of an investigation, I never knew exactly what LE knew and until a trial didn't know what physical evidence/DNA matches or other forensic evidence may have been found. I didn't know all the witnesses who were approached, who called in tips, what LE was thinking, etc.

I don't recall one case *I* followed where rank speculation or imagined scenarios by the public ever solved a crime or found a person. I do remember in various cases I followed there being searchers who found bodies, video sightings that helped, a witness or two to activities who helped break a case, forensic evidence that was found, and a few confessions along the way.

Since I had no information to provide police in any case I followed and didn't know any of the victims and wasn't a witness to anything (nor was I even in the geographic vicinity of 99.9% of those cases), I was merely following a case to see how it turned out.

Some things they can't disclose because they can get sued. However one of LE's best assets is the public. If you can utilize the public to help you solve a crime it only benefits you. A good police department knows how to do this without compromising the case.

No, that is not correct. From being around the searchers for the past two days, NO area was ruled out for search. Tips were and are being followed. Searches were conducted where LE asked CUE to search.

NO details, but I personally tagged along with LE on a civilian boat to a location that was given to the tip line. The area had been searched multiple times, but the specific spot tipped was re-searched by LE due to the tip.

I don't know any more than anyone else here, but I was on the ground for 12 hours Saturday and several hours yesterday. Nothing was ruled out...and search groups went where ever LE asked them to go...in the rain, through the water, briars, forest, trails, ponds, river, lakes, swamp...ANY WHERE they were asked to go.

I am talking about where they found the bones. The quote that I responded to sounded like LE and Cue weren't involved that it was independently searched.

Some things they can't disclose because they can get sued. However one of LE's best assets is the public. If you can utilize the public to help you solve a crime it only benefits you. A good police department knows how to do this without compromising the case.

Having people be aware of what's around them and be alert is a great asset. If someone saw (or heard) something and then lets LE know, it can be a big help. Seeing pictures of the missing person is helpful as it may trigger a memory and then turn into a good tip or it may help narrow the timeline. The public can assist with searches and can help cover a wider area for ground searches and that too is very helpful. To me that is the value of the public.

While I personally wish I had been privy to the inner details of the cases I followed, I knew I wouldn't find out much until or unless there was a trial or there were legal documents (like affidavits or motions) filed with the court and then made public by the media. So I had to be patient and wait to see how it all unfolded.

...and sincere thank you's and appreciation to all the searchers.

Since I had no information to provide police in any case I followed and didn't know any of the victims and wasn't a witness to anything (nor was I even in the geographic vicinity of 99.9% of those cases), I was merely following a case to see how it turned out.

Madeleine74, the Horry County PD has yet to hold their first press conference. How often does this happen in high profile missing person cases?
The recent Hannah Anderson(CA) abduction is an excellent example of a proactive missing person investigation by SDSO & the FBI. The Boston Bombing is another example of where the public identified the perps, and also located the 2nd suspect.

The Mickey Shunick(LA) investigation was also a very proactive investigation which was solved due to a citizen/s tips. The predator/serial killer; Brandon S Laverne was identified, prosecuted, convicted, sentenced to Life w/o parole to Angola prison, and Mickey's remains were located, all in less than 90 days...http://www1.katc.com/files/Shunick Anniversary 51613.pdf

Madeleine74, there will always be speculation, theories, and opinions in every missing person investigation. Guess, it goes with the territory. There is actually much more speculation, etc., when there is silence by LE, imo...

I'm still trying to remain positive and I fully support LE however they are doing so much damage by not releasing where she went on that date that night. The people that were at the same place could have information they aren't even aware of.

I appreciate all our LE does here in horry county however I think they need to swallow their pride and hand this case over to someone more equipped to solve it.! I'm also wondering of the family has hired a private investigator? They are also good at their jobs.. Anything or any news is great at this point

We have been left in the dark far too long an it's making it harder and harder to find Heather

Yeah agree 100%. No offense to our LE here, but they don't exactly inspire confidence on any level above a simple robbery. I know, I've had a few issues over my course of 25+ years here in Horry County.

Its well over a week now, and there doesn't seem to be much progress. Where is the FBI?

The prospects of HE being found unharmed dwindle each minute that passes by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaJ