SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd that he would have gloves with him don't you think?
btw ,was her cellphone recovered? car keys?

I think it is very odd that he would have gloves, also if the car wasn't already unlocked and the keys weren't in it... How did he just drive it home? I hope they checked the trunk.. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With all due respect, LE has no reason to release their information to the public. Valid investigation involves gathering information and assembling it to make sense of it, not disclosing info that might jeopardize their case or cause the public to create more speculation or rumors. Local LE can request assistance from state and national LE resources if needed.

I think members of the public often fancy themselves as some kind of secret CSI contingent, but really that's just a fantasy from watching crime shows. What police need is an actual lead if someone has seen something, not speculation on what people think may have happened, based on imagination and fiction.

With all due respect, LE has no reason to release their information to the public. Valid investigation involves gathering information and assembling it to make sense of it, not disclosing info that might jeopardize their case or cause the public to create more speculation or rumors. Local LE can request assistance from state and national LE resources if needed.

I think members of the public often fancy themselves as some kind of secret CSI contingent, but really that's just a fantasy from watching crime shows. What police need is an actual lead if someone has seen something, not speculation on what people think may have happened, based on imagination and fiction.

But all we have is speculation. Like has been said if they would release small bits of information that isn't crucial to the case there might be people who saw something they didn't even realize. Even the posts asking anyone at peachtree landing to come forward with information aren't from LE but her family. LE hasn't said much of anything except they are investigating and call them with any tips. I feel like with the information given right now the only person who would know anything and be able to give any tips would be the perpetrator whoever that may be.

But all we have is speculation. Like has been said if they would release small bits of information that isn't crucial to the case there might be people who saw something they didn't even realize. Even the posts asking anyone at peachtree landing to come forward with information aren't from LE but her family. LE hasn't said much of anything except they are investigating and call them with any tips. I feel like with the information given right now the only person who would know anything and be able to give any tips would be the perpetrator whoever that may be.

MOO this is what they are waiting for....the only reason LE & family would keep things so close

Speculation is all we EVER have in these cases. At this point, they may not be sure what is or is not crucial to the case, but one reason they don't release little tidbits is to keep down the bogus calls and false tips. You would be surprised how many calls they get in each case, and so many of them are worthless, yet LE still has to chase these tips down which costs them valuable time actually looking for the missing person. Their first priority is to find the missing person, and they really don't have time to keep the public happy while they're looking for her. Just because WE don't know where she went, or who was there, does not mean LE has not talked to everybody they could find who might have been there at that time. Trust me, they know way more than they are obligated to release to the public.

Recent article:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_57b23e96-7085-11e3-a353-001a4bcf6878.html

This has to be an error in the article:
Horry County police at this time consider Cross' disappearance to unrelated to the disappearance of Heather Elvis, 20, who was last seen leaving the River Oaks Drive area after a date.

Her last known location was at about 2 a.m. Dec. 17 on White River Drive just off River Oaks Drive in the Carolina Forest area. Her vehicle, a dark green 2001 Dodge Intrepid, was found in Socastee at Peachtree Landing.

Her last known location I thought was 2 AM on Dec. 18th. And she was seen LEAVING the River Oaks Drive area AFTER a date, per the article? This would imply that maybe her date or someone else saw her get in her car and leave? That wouldn't be right as it has been stated in previous articles that it was not known what clothes she was wearing. This would appear to be an error.

Speculation is all we EVER have in these cases. At this point, they may not be sure what is or is not crucial to the case, but one reason they don't release little tidbits is to keep down the bogus calls and false tips. You would be surprised how many calls they get in each case, and so many of them are worthless, yet LE still has to chase these tips down which costs them valuable time actually looking for the missing person. Their first priority is to find the missing person, and they really don't have time to keep the public happy while they're looking for her. Just because WE don't know where she went, or who was there, does not mean LE has not talked to everybody they could find who might have been there at that time. Trust me, they know way more than they are obligated to release to the public.

You are correct LE don't have to release anything to the public. However if the public don't know what she was wearing or what her phone looks like then how do they know what their suppose to look for. How do you ask for tips from the public when they don't know what their looking for. Far too many cases information is released too late. Jennifer keese case for example with the video of a suspect being released way to late.

Recent article:

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_57b23e96-7085-11e3-a353-001a4bcf6878.html

Horry County police at this time consider Cross' disappearance to unrelated to the disappearance of Heather Elvis, 20, who was last seen leaving the River Oaks Drive area after a date.

Her last known location was at about 2 a.m. Dec. 17 on White River Drive just off River Oaks Drive in the Carolina Forest area. Her vehicle, a dark green 2001 Dodge Intrepid, was found in Socastee at Peachtree Landing.

Her last known location I thought was 2 AM on Dec. 18th. And she was seen LEAVING the River Oaks Drive area AFTER a date, per the article? This would imply that maybe her date or someone else saw her get in her car and leave? That wouldn't be right as it has been stated in previous articles that it was not known what clothes she was wearing. This would appear to be an error.

Good catch @JnRyan! Either a slip-up (with inside info) or a legitimate mistake.

RE: With all due respect, LE has no reason to release their information to the public.
Madeleine74, respectfully, there is every reason to release as much information as possible to the public. An informed and aware public is the most valuable investigative resource available to LEAs in missing persons cases. The public is synonymous to a security camera across the landscape of America.

If their is an active predator in the Horry Co, SC area, transparency is even more important. Predators are recidivist, become more brazen, and will hone their skills with each innocent victim taken.

Without the public's help via communication technology, media management, & internet social sites, many, if not most missing/murdered persons cases would simply grow cold.. as in the past..
The leadership of Law Enforcement organizations that utilize the same silent antiquated investigative strategies today, that they used yesterday, will not be the leaders of tomorrow, imo.

The top law enforcement agency in the world has come to this realization; the FBI. Many high profile cases investigated by the FBI were solved in 2012 due to them reaching out for the assistance of the American public.
_________
To Catch a Fugitive
New Tools to Find FBI's Most Wanted

02/22/11

For more than 60 years, the FBI has created posters to enlist the public's help in capturing fugitives or finding missing persons. Olympic bomber Eric Rudolph, CIA shooter Mir Aimal Kansi, World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef—the captured fugitives were all on FBI wanted posters distributed and shared around the world.

Now, thanks to a recent redesign of the FBI.gov Most Wanted section, the public has more tools to help us close cases of suspected murderers, terrorists, bank robbers, and kidnapped and missing individuals.

“Tips and leads from the public are crucial in fugitive investigations,” said Special Agent Bradley Bryant, who works with local law enforcement agencies on cold cases through our FBI Violent Crime Apprehension Program, or ViCAP..

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2010/january/social_010710/our-newest-social-media-initiatives

The Portable FBI
Our Newest Social Media Initiatives
01/08/10

A free mobile phone application featuring FBI updates has been downloaded more than 670,000 times in more than 70 countries since last February.
More than 35 million people visited the FBI website last year, but many of you prefer your own corners of the Internet, whether it's a personal webpage, blog, networking site, or some other space.

That's why in recent years we’ve worked to bring our information to where you are in the online world. We've built a series of widgets that let you host our news, fugitives, missing kids, and other content on your website or blog.

We’ve laid down roots on popular social media sites—Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and iTunes—and started generating dynamic news feeds that can be plugged into and read through various applications, readers, and webpages. And we've launched an e-mail alert service that now has nearly 150,000 subscribers, bringing our latest information right to your inbox or wireless device.
<sniped - read more>

Recent article:

If you click the link and read the story it says the car was found on the 20th. The 20th was on a Friday.

Does anyone ever think there will come a point in society where they put chips in people to trek them? Any thoughts on this?

IMO, from following a jillion cases, this LE is not being any more secretive than most. The cases where LE is open with the public tend to catch us off guard, almost, as they are quite rare (i.e Jessica R.). The trouble is that we can't tell if they know a lot, or almost nothing, from their silence. Often we assume they do not need help from the public, only to have them finally break down and ask, months later when memories are lacking. LE tends to be far too secretive in MP cases, IMO, out of habit and it seldom does the victim any good.

JMO

Does anyone ever think there will come a point in society where they put chips in people to trek them? Any thoughts on this?

20-30 years ago we didn't have cell phones with GPS or the large number of CCTV cameras and now that we have them it doesn't seem to make a dent in the number of these cases. Even with DNA - which we didn't have 20-30 years ago - we can't catch the perpetrators of these crimes. LE in CA have the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker's DNA, but w/o a match in the system they can't catch him.

Even if they do utilize chips, the criminals will probably find a way around it. Maybe I'm just overly skeptical, but it seems as technology evolves so does the criminal.

Unless we get new information or some already known by LE. We are stumped. I'll try to restrain myself from speculating any further. Its good to think of all possible avenues on what could have happened just to see which piece fits the puzzle board best but with so little information and with some of the information we have being so vague the possibilities on what could have happen during the morning hours of the 18th through the 19th are drowning. We need to hone it down, and that can only be done with more official or concrete information.

20-30 years ago we didn't have cell phones with GPS or the large number of CCTV cameras and now that we have them it doesn't seem to make a dent in the number of these cases. Even with DNA - which we didn't have 20-30 years ago - we can't catch the perpetrators of these crimes. LE in CA have the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker's DNA, but w/o a match in the system they can't catch him.

Even if they do utilize chips, the criminals will probably find a way around it. Maybe I'm just overly skeptical, but it seems as technology evolves so does the criminal.

Of course I agree with you that you can't do anything if your DNA isn't in the system. The single biggest thing to make an impact on crime was DNA. GPS has made somewhat of a dent because it now gives you an area to look in a lot of cases.

'Folks, HCPD would not have sent the remains to TX, if they were animal bones'...

http://www.whec.com/article/stories/s3263236.shtml

Updated: 12/30/2013 12:04 AM
Created: 12/29/2013 10:22 PM WHEC.com
Skeletal remains have been found near Myrtle Beach in South Carolina.

Sunday night the family of missing teen Brittanee Drexel was waiting and wondering if it could be Brittanee.

News10NBC spoke with Brittanee's mother, Dawn Drexel. She was contacted Sunday by law enforcement.

Horry County Police say the remains were found Saturday scattered across a wooded area about 25 miles from where Brittanee Drexel was last seen in 2009.

It's important to note at this point police cannot confirm if the remains are human. Investigators say it appears they had been there for years, and believe they could have been moved around by an animal. K-9 teams have been out searching the area.

Right now, police tell News10NBC the remains are being sent to Texas for DNA sampling.

'Folks, HCPD would not have sent the remains to TX, if they were animal bones'...

http://www.whec.com/article/stories/s3263236.shtml

Updated: 12/30/2013 12:04 AM
Created: 12/29/2013 10:22 PM WHEC.com
Skeletal remains have been found near Myrtle Beach in South Carolina.

Sunday night the family of missing Chili teen Brittanee Drexel was waiting and wondering if it could be Brittanee.

News10NBC spoke with Brittanee's mother, Dawn Drexel. She was contacted Sunday by law enforcement.

Horry County Police say the remains were found Saturday scattered across a wooded area about 25 miles from where Brittanee Drexel was last seen in 2009.

It's important to note at this point police cannot confirm if the remains are human. Investigators say it appears they had been there for years, and believe they could have been moved around by an animal. K-9 teams have been out searching the area.

Right now, police tell News10NBC the remains are being sent to Texas for DNA sampling.

I really don't know how she doesn't go over and confront the potential suspect in this case. I applaud her on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14