SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a moderator on a political blog a few years back. The opinions expressed don't rise to defamation because the mods here on WS are Very quick to monitor and edit/delete ones that may hit that mark. Libel requires intent to defame - I commend the mods here again are spot on those comments. MOO

what about on SM site like Facebook ?

It is interesting, considering HE was allegedly still on her date at 10pm on Tuesday December 17th.

Follow the facts to get to a conclusion. Don't conclude and look for supporting facts. They are looking for any info after the picture was taken, I think. And while it looks like there is a solution here - we don't have all the information. Things are not always what they seem.

Salem

what about on SM site like Facebook ?

Social Media sites like Facebook, Twitter and the like are for posting opinions and the poster takes responsibility for their post - these are not heavily moderated and expressly for social entertainment - WS has a purpose - a goal - a mission statement. We are social but we have a reason.

Follow the facts to get to a conclusion. Don't conclude and look for supporting facts. They are looking for any info after the picture was taken, I think. And while it looks like there is a solution here - we don't have all the information. Things are not always what they seem.

Salem

Isn't that the truth. If only we could rewind time. I would be blocking her doorway to keep her from going out of her condo. Now, we must look ahead to contribute as much as we can to help find her and support her family as much as we can. They can't feel alone during this crisis.

Salem

Please forgive me, Salem, I don't follow what you're saying. What picture?
:-(

ETA: I mean, I can 'guess' what picture you mean, but then again, lol...I already fed the kids and my work day ended, I don't want a time out now! :-)

ETA (Again): On further thought, if you mean the picture she texted her dad, that picture was 10:43pm. The time frame is still weird, considering the date lasted until 2am-2:30am. If we are believing that LE believes the "first date's" version of events, they already know HE's timeline from 10pm (12-17) thru 2-2:30am (12-18), right?

"Previous story: Heather R. Elvis, 20, was last heard from around 3 a.m. on Dec. 17, 2013. She had gone on a date and had returned home. She was last known to be at 541 White Drive off of River Oaks Drive in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Her car was found parked at Socastee S.C. at the Peachtree Landing.
The family is asking for anyone who was at Peachtree landing from 10pm Tuesday December 17th thru 6am Wednesday morning December 18th to please contact us, you may have seen something and not even know it and we could use the help in filling in holes for this time line.
According to Terry Elvis, Heather stopped by her parents' house Tuesday to pick up mail. She works at a restaurant, but did not show up or call in for her scheduled shift Friday afternoon, her father said."

Please forgive me, Salem, I don't follow what you're saying. What picture?
:-(

ETA: I mean, I can 'guess' what picture you mean, but then again, lol...I already fed the kids and my work day ended, I don't want a time out now! :-)

While Heather was on her date, she got a stick shift driving lesson. Her date sent a picture to her Dad. It's been posted here, and we ARE allowed to talk about it.

So 10:00 last phone contact with her Dad to 6:00 a.m. [modsnip].

What's the psychology behind all the drama in these missing person's cases?

How in such serious and life changing matters, people can be so ... (adjective is escaping me). It almost seems like they view it as entertainment. Primarily speaking about what transpires on Missing Facebook Pages.

I haven't read read any research on this particular topic but I have a psych degree (don't we all?) & was like 6 sociology credits away from graduating with a minor. And one of the courses I took was Victimology.

Personally, I think, initially people come to these pages because they truly want to help support the search & they feel empathy & compassion for the family. I think they keep that empathy throughout the search, but somewhere along the way, it does become somewhat of a source of entertainment. And I don't necessarily mean enjoyment when I say entertainment... I just mean that it's probably a lot like watching a crime movie or documentary for those who may not know the victim personally or those who haven't experienced what it's like to be the friends & family going thru the nightmare of not knowing where their loved one is or if their safe.

It's almost like putting together the pieces of a puzzle... trying to see the big picture... trying to figure it all out... But some of the pieces in the middle of the puzzle are missing & you can't see the entire picture without them. So you keep coming back... looking for the missing pieces to solve the puzzle. You get frustrated that you can't figure it out... so you ask questions to everyone & anyone who might hold a clue that might help you find those pieces.

Not to mention, people are self-centered by nature... it's pure evolutionary. They don't like to admit when they're wrong... they hold steadfast to their beliefs & don't like for the to be questioned or denied... and everyone has their own, of course... their own ideas about how the puzzle should be solved & they aren't all the same... and people start bickering about petty crap simply because of that.

While Heather was on her date, she got a stick shift driving lesson. Her date sent a picture to her Dad. It's been posted here, and we ARE allowed to talk about it.

So 10:00 last phone contact with her Dad to 6:00 a.m. [modsnip].

Yes, I understand that and have edited my post above regarding that picture. Even still, the date claims he dropped her off approx. 2-2:30am, right? And I guess I'd have to look it up, but I thought it was said that the date is all but cleared (yes, I know, nobody has been OFFICIALLY cleared.)

So, if we are to believe the date isn't involved, then we believe the date's timeline. Wouldn't it make more sense for LE to be looking for a timeline from the time the date dropped HE off forward?

"Previous story: Heather R. Elvis, 20, was last heard from around 3 a.m. on Dec. 17, 2013. She had gone on a date and had returned home. She was last known to be at 541 White Drive off of River Oaks Drive in Myrtle Beach, S.C. Her car was found parked at Socastee S.C. at the Peachtree Landing.
The family is asking for anyone who was at Peachtree landing from 10pm Tuesday December 17th thru 6am Wednesday morning December 18th to please contact us, you may have seen something and not even know it and we could use the help in filling in holes for this time line.
According to Terry Elvis, Heather stopped by her parents' house Tuesday to pick up mail. She works at a restaurant, but did not show up or call in for her scheduled shift Friday afternoon, her father said."

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica.com/2013/12/heather-elvis-young-woman-missing-from.html

I believe PeterThomasFan pointed this out once before too. The dates/times are wacky in this article. HE supposedly didn't go missing until Tuesday AFTER her date. This article has her last being heard from even BEFORE her date! It says, "Heather R. Elvis, 20, was last heard from around 3 a.m. on Dec. 17, 2013." How is that even possible when she picked up her mail from her parents on Tueday, I'm going to guess she picked it up AFTER 3am.

Also, in another case (Susan Jacobson...still missing) LE requested witnesses from an earlier hour than the victim was thought to have been on the scene. We questioned that as well, but I think LE wants to cover bases in case someone was lying in wait. JMO

Also, in another case (Susan Jacobson...still missing) LE requested witnesses from an earlier hour than the victim was thought to have been on the scene. We questioned that as well, but I think LE wants to cover bases in case someone was lying in wait. JMO

Ok, thank you. THAT makes sense to my tired brain! LOL So not necessarily looking for anyone who saw HE during that time frame, but anyone who saw someone/something wonky other than HE. Got it now!

I haven't read read any research on this particular topic but I have a psych degree (don't we all?) & was like 6 sociology credits away from graduating with a minor. And one of the courses I took was Victimology.

Personally, I think, initially people come to these pages because they truly want to help support the search & they feel empathy & compassion for the family. I think they keep that empathy throughout the search, but somewhere along the way, it does become somewhat of a source of entertainment. And I don't necessarily mean enjoyment when I say entertainment... I just mean that it's probably a lot like watching a crime movie or documentary for those who may not know the victim personally or those who haven't experienced what it's like to be the friends & family going thru the nightmare of not knowing where their loved one is or if their safe.

It's almost like putting together the pieces of a puzzle... trying to see the big picture... trying to figure it all out... But some of the pieces in the middle of the puzzle are missing & you can't see the entire picture without them. So you keep coming back... looking for the missing pieces to solve the puzzle. You get frustrated that you can't figure it out... so you ask questions to everyone & anyone who might hold a clue that might help you find those pieces.

Not to mention, people are self-centered by nature... it's pure evolutionary. They don't like to admit when they're wrong... they hold steadfast to their beliefs & don't like for the to be questioned or denied... and everyone has their own, of course... their own ideas about how the puzzle should be solved & they aren't all the same... and people start bickering about petty crap simply because of that.

I agree (although I am a social scientist but not a psychologist or sociologist, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much).

For me personally, trying to understand the dark side of human nature (murderers, abductors, etc) and seeing the hope, support, and love communities and perfect strangers give victims and their families helps me to better understand the human experience that we all share in this life. Some people go to church. Some people meditate. I run & go on WS.

I think you may have misunderstood my post, lol. But due to TOS, I cannot be more specific, KWIM?

I've been a member here for several years, I don't consider myself to be "into" drama. But on a few cases in the past, I have questioned whether I need to be posting or not, and took a break from WS. If you've been here any length of time, you know zactly what I'm sayin'.

OK, I think I probably did misunderstand :). But that's ok! And no, I have not been here long. I came here as a result of developing an interest in the Teleka case, then a local one that ended horribly, and stumbled upon this one. I'll keep trying to figure out what you mean though since I'm pretty well informed in all aspects on this one so far.

Should be folding laundry.....

ETA: Corrected my own grammar.

Social Media sites like Facebook, Twitter and the like are for posting opinions and the poster takes responsibility for their post - these are not heavily moderated and expressly for social entertainment - WS has a purpose - a goal - a mission statement. We are social but we have a reason.

Thank you for your reply. I applaud WS' goal and the moderators for keeping the boards clean and victim friendly, etc. Perhaps I am wrong, but I assume the rules here at WS are in place not only to protect the victim and those innocently connected to the situation but also as legal protection. My question was about specific SM sites like Facebook , no rules or moderators. just page administrators. Would they be libel if they acknowledged knowing about comments being made and some of the replies could possibly be defamatory , including threats of stalking etc..

I know this is the very least of their worries right now..but while reading there I couldn't help but think of what a nightmare it would be to have to defend yourself against the very person you believe is responsible for your daughter's disappearance.

I hope I haven't strayed into forbidden territory.

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica.com/2013/12/heather-elvis-young-woman-missing-from.html

I believe PeterThomasFan pointed this out once before too. The dates/times are wacky in this article. HE supposedly didn't go missing until Tuesday AFTER her date. This article has her last being heard from even BEFORE her date! It says, "Heather R. Elvis, 20, was last heard from around 3 a.m. on Dec. 17, 2013." How is that even possible when she picked up her mail from her parents on Tueday, I'm going to guess she picked it up AFTER 3am.

Right, that's a very, very long first date. He supposedly picked her up at around 7pm & drops her off 7+ hours later???? Wow!

I originally thought early on that she was dropped off at 10:30p and I wrote that it probably wasn't such a hot date for her. Then reading later on it was 2:00-2:30am it must have been pretty good especially having the new bf take a picture of her and forwarding to her dad. I feel pretty confident this guy had nothing to do with her disappearance.
Agreed but, I think his timing is still not that accurate.

HE's first Tumblr post was at 01:53:05am. So, it would have taken 5-10 minutes to settle in, turn computer on (if it wasn't already), and create a post. Say, closer to 1:30ish IMO.

I'm sticking to my timeline and fellow Sleuthers!

Does anyone have a timeline put together for this case yet? I apologize if I've missed it. I haven't followed this case at all WS-style, only brief news stories here and there, and I have a feeling I've missed a great deal.

Maybe a brave and kind soul would be willing and able to give me the cliff notes version of this case, as per TOS of course?

Does anyone have a timeline put together for this case yet? I apologize if I've missed it. I haven't followed this case at all WS-style, only brief news stories here and there, and I have a feeling I've missed a great deal.

Maybe a brave and kind soul would be willing and able to give me the cliff notes version of this case, as per TOS of course?

Welcome GGE! :)
I always enjoy reading your posts and would welcome your input on Heather's case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_ks