SC - Heather Elvis, 20, Myrtle Beach, 18 Dec 2013 - #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they don't have to name one...and I am not really sure that there is a benefit to naming one? (Think Michelle Parker case). What is the ultimate goal in naming a POI or suspect in a case anyway? (That is a real question, does it often benefit a case somehow?)

I just selfishly want them to name one...so we can discuss. :blushing:

On the show...was the fake alibi premeditated or conjured after the fact by willing participants?

Andalso, the thing that I think the community should be aware of is if a serial-killer type of thing is going on so a presser could help the locals know if that is what LE suspects. That is important.

An LE presser could also send a message indicating a particular area of interest to the local people or businesses for anything unusual---check properties, check video surveillance, etc.

Additionally, when a POI is named by LE, sometimes additional victims and info come forward about the POI which is always helpful when solidifying a case. You know, the ole leopard doesn't change his spots kind of thing.

moo

No, they don't have to name one...and I am not really sure that there is a benefit to naming one? (Think Michelle Parker case). What is the ultimate goal in naming a POI or suspect in a case anyway? (That is a real question, does it often benefit a case somehow?)

I just selfishly want them to name one...so we can discuss. :blushing:

On the show...was the fake alibi premeditated or conjured after the fact by willing participants?

Seemingly after the fact, by a relative.

I would say LE is getting lots of new tips since the un-redacted report was leaked...it gave people a name, which could aid in memories of that day, or week. Maybe that was their way of giving out a POI...

I wonder how much her family even knew, as far as the details blacked out, until this week.

Andalso, the thing that I think the community should be aware of is if a serial-killer type of thing is going on so a presser could help the locals know if that is what LE suspects. That is important.

An LE presser could also send a message indicating a particular area of interest to the local people or businesses for anything unusual---check properties, check video surveillance, etc.

Additionally, when a POI is named by LE, sometimes additional victims and info come forward about the POI which is always helpful when solidifying a case. You know, the ole leopard doesn't change his spots kind of thing.

moo

Don't get me wrong, I did not mean to imply the LE should not have conducted pressers throughout this case. Agree, they should have.

I do, however, feel that if LE thought there was a serial killer they would have advised the public of that. Or geez, at least I hope they would.

But, IMO, in some cases, such as Heather's, I am not sure that naming a POI will actually bring in new leads/tips. If LE believes it would help, then why haven't they used that strategy?

ETA: Good point above by Clu...maybe leaking the un-redacted reported was the LE strategy???

Did anybody see the original post by CRE on FHE? a yes or no will suffice.

BBM: No. Not in that manner.

Funny @bestill. :trout: Go drink!

giphy.gif

I love Gilmore Girls... thank you for the GIF

LUKE & JESS!!! WOO!

My biggest concerns is I wish this information had been available in the very beginning I believe she could've been located over a month ago if not within a few days of her disappearance.

Snipped for length: I feel like.. well let me let FL say it:

it's not as if this is news to LE.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Right, I agree and I'm kind of pissed that it's taken this long to get any sort of warrant. It's long enough for tracks to be covered.

When you combine the info from BB and the canceled search

And possible intensified aircraft traffic 36,000 + people following a specific hunt

And specific information confirmed by family

What's the saying when you have got the bull by his ????

Horns? Oh wait no, that's "You mess with the bull, you get the horns."

If they canceled the search wouldn't it be because they found her or know where she is? And if they found her would they have announced that?

there is a search but with a very small group.. don't ask how I know:banghead:

According to CUE they never scheduled a search. According to the family they only want CUE searches (I feel that's a mistake, though I can see not wanting inexperienced searchers.) According to BB he's searching with a small group today. (I have a place in mind I hope he hit...)

Have LE stated who the last person she spoke with was by phone? Have they stated if she has a cell and home phone? I know I read she spoke to her roommate, but wasn't sure if that was confirmed by LE to be the last person she spoke to.

LE has confirmed she spoke to her roommate but has not released any information after that point so as not to compromise the integrity of their case. Which is also why we can't discuss it.

I don't remember if it was from the photo TE posted of HE driving the truck or from HE's own screen shots on Twitter, but I have seen tmobile in photos at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was in his story he said t-mobile IIRC.

Wouldn't saying who she or any missing person spoke to last during any missing persons investigation be important?

When my relative was missing, it was released.

Am we allowed to discuss Nancy graces interview? Someone posted a link to it and I just read it

I think, in this case they are keeping it close to their vest because of wanting to not spook someone and also get them to slip up.

I found this interesting... HE made a post on her twitter account "like mother like daughter...literally" https://twitter.com/HeatherElvis

TE's article on XOJane included photos...one of them immediately made me think of HE's twitter post. http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/heather-elvis-disappearance-terry-elvis

I thought the exact same thing even though we can't say what it is. I had some posts deleted because of it already.

That tweet has bugged the ever loving crap out of me ever since this started. I saw the SAME thing you did, and if there ends up being any fact to that I will be so incredibly sad.

Are we aloud to use the name of a person who is active on FHEFB and named in the media as being very involved in conducting searches?

Yes, but we mostly use his initials because its easier. :)

Tonight on WMBF News, Brennan Somers reported that "the Cue Center will be back in Horry County tomorrow to scout out new areas to look for the 20 year old. That, they have mainly focused on searches in Myrtle Beach and Conway."

Conway???

That's the first time I've ever heard about searches in Conway.

I had heard MC say they searched other places than where they were staged, as well as LE doing some, but they never revealed WHERE they looked. Weird though since a lot of people on here had a fixation with Conway when this started.

So tomorrow CUE will just be looking for places to search? As in, on maps, etc.?
If so, then I doubt anything huge is happening now.

Actually what I believe is meant by "scouting" IIRC in a video on wmbfnews.com with an interview with MC she defined it as going to the location and surveying it and seeing what sort of assistance they may need (atvs, horses, etc.) as well as any areas to pay special attention to and where to stage.

moo

I have had this discussion ad-nauseum with my father lol. Even TE thinks this was not random. BUT just because it isn't doesn't mean that a) it's not the start of one (or even the middle) or b) that there isn't one. One of the things mentioned way back was the 4 years between Crystal Soles, Britanee Drexel and Heather. A lot of people say "a SK can't wait 4 years!" but uh they can, they will, they do. But even so it could be someone here visiting and there could be other, similar disappearances in other towns. ie. Maybe theres a conference here every 4 years and the other years it's in other cities that have missing girls? Or someone with a timeshare that allows for switching between various locations in the same timeshare company family. Ooo that last one just scared the crap out of me for like 2 reasons.

Isn't it interesting how some professional photog's use photo shop to create an image that doesn't exist?

From the time I started following this case things were different for me maybe a gut feeling idk but there is NO reason NO matter the circumstances that a Father & Mother should go thru hell for the truth most less bringing their child home good or bad! SOMEONE needs to pick up the phone & tell these parents where their daughter is THAT is #1 for now CLOSURE & if it is by a crime THEN LE can handle things BUT for this moment in time Heather Elvis's Dad, Mom and her siblings need peace!!!! I do feel however if things don't start progressing with the "non-talkers" people are going to start loosing self control & I myself as a Mother would do what I had to do to get answers to bring my baby home!

I guess nothing turned up in the search today or we would have heard by now. Can't shake the feeling that every camper in the vicinity should be subject to k-9 searches. Especially those whose belong to people who went on trips shortly after HE went missing.

Isn't it interesting how some professional photog's use photo shop to create an image that doesn't exist?

Professional photographers my pasty white behind. I'm no pro and I can do it so well I had someone's relative asking them when the heck they went to NYC.

Professional photographers my pasty white behind. I'm no pro and I can do it so well I had someone's relative asking them when the heck they went to NYC.

what am I missing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I'm thinking a couple image of bliss...kind of like a being in a fairy tale.

I'm thinking a couple image of bliss...kind of like a being in a fairy tale.

Really, anything that could be an alibi. Hmm. if I took a picture now, right now, and then edited in a diff background I wonder what the stats of the pic would tell. Would it only show the date and time, or would it also show it'd been edited. Of course it could have just been cropped... very confusing.

I'm thinking a pro could create an image of being somewhere they weren't and also combine two images to create one. As an example if I were an advanced photog I could take my guy's photo and combine it with mine to create a couple image, kwim?

Okay this is weird. Usually I have trouble loading WS. Instead tonight it's pretty much any other page.... hmm. sign from a higher power to stay here?

I'm thinking a pro could create an image of being somewhere they weren't and also combine two images to create one. As an example if I were an advanced photog I could take my guy's photo and combine it with mine to create a couple image, kwim?

and if it were time stamped, it would look like you and your guy were together.
Got it!

Really, anything that could be an alibi. Hmm. if I took a picture now, right now, and then edited in a diff background I wonder what the stats of the pic would tell. Would it only show the date and time, or would it also show it'd been edited. Of course it could have just been cropped... very confusing.

.......goes back to humming "It's a Small World Afterall"......:blushing:

Don't get me wrong, I did not mean to imply the LE should not have conducted pressers throughout this case. Agree, they should have.

I do, however, feel that if LE thought there was a serial killer they would have advised the public of that. Or geez, at least I hope they would.

But, IMO, in some cases, such as Heather's, I am not sure that naming a POI will actually bring in new leads/tips. If LE believes it would help, then why haven't they used that strategy?

ETA: Good point above by Clu...maybe leaking the un-redacted reported was the LE strategy???

RE: I do, however, feel that if LE thought there was a serial killer they would have advised the public of that. Or geez, at least I hope they would.

Don't bank on it, andalso. Just depends on the policy of the investigative agency and many other factors.

http://www.wtvy.com/home/headlines/104337718.html

Highway Serial Killers? Yes, Says FBI
Updated: Tue 8:31 AM, Oct 05, 2010

"We seem to have one a week that comes in," says Michael Harrigan, the special agent who oversaw the FBI's effort for the past three years. "It could be a killing that's 30 years old. It could be one that happened a week ago." Whether the oldest and coldest cases can be solved, Harrigan is uncertain. But he's hopeful.

Harrigan and other law enforcement authorities believe serial killers still operate along some of the most well-traveled roads in the nation.

"They're out there," he says.

Even so, the FBI won't divulge the names of the victims, the dates the victims were abducted or discovered, even the locations where the killers either found their victims or dumped the bodies — places motorists might wish to avoid.

Despite President Obama's pledge of a more transparent government, Harrigan says the bureau(FBI) is bound by its promise to local law enforcement not to disclose any details of the slayings — even basic information that is public record. The FBI makes such a promise so that local agencies will share details of the crimes with the bureau, Harrigan says.

Through a Freedom of Information Act request filed this year, USA TODAY sought those details. "Many families drive from state to state and need accurate information to determine where they should and should not stop," USA TODAY wrote in its request.

The FBI denied the request, even though the bureau had posted on its website a small image of a U.S. map last year that shows the general location of many of the highway slayings.
<sniped - read more>

So in general, cases nowadays may involve "clever ducks" (near Old Dick Pond or anywhere else for that matter) creating "alibi's" of sorts via SM like FB, Twitter and with the enhancement of Photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynbot