GUILTY SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston, 2015; Dylann Roof GUILTY #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 3m3 minutes ago
"He never forgot where he came from. He never forgot the people who needed service." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 5m5 minutes ago
"He never forgot that he was called to better the circumstances of those that he served," Middleton said of Pinckney. #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 4m4 minutes ago
He became a presiding elder of the Wateree District for the AME Church, Middleton testifies. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 3m3 minutes ago
He says Pinckney was ecstatic to bring joy to that small, agrarian district. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 2m2 minutes ago
He says Pinckney was ashamed that the schools where he's from are considered the Corridor of Shame. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 1m1 minute ago
Rev. Middleton says Pinckney planned very strategically. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 3m3 minutes ago
"Pinckney used his public service as an extension to his ministry," Middleton said. "He was very strategic in his planning." #RoofTrial

Rev. Pinckney "was driven. He was going to do those things, and nothing was going to stop him," Middleton said. #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 34s34 seconds ago
He said Pinckney possibly wanted to be the first black governor of #SC. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"You're a Democrat! You'll never make it!" Middleton recalls telling him. Courtroom laughs. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 2m2 minutes ago
Middleton has a lot of energy on the witness stand when speaking about Pinckney. Sometimes gets so excited, he shouts. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 46s46 seconds ago
When Pinckney started talking about Jennifer, "I knew it had to be somebody special," Middleton said. He traveled to Aiken to meet her.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 4m4 minutes ago
Middleton: Pinckney "definitely" could have been bishop in AME church. As for SC Gov "I had to bring him back to earth" #chsnews #RoofTrial

"I think, at one point, we tried to get him drunk," Middleton says of Pinckney at his wedding. No luck, he says. @wis10 #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 4m4 minutes ago
Middleton: Pinckney loved Jennifer, the two of them would almost make you sick. They were so in love... it never really wore off. #RoofTrial

Middleton says Clementa and Jennifer were so in love, "it almost made you want to throw up". #chsnews #RoofTrial :)

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 52s52 seconds ago
Middleton says Pinckney was so happy to be a father. "Those children had him wrapped around their fingers". #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 7m7 minutes ago
"He was like a marshmellow [to those girls]. He loved those girls. They were certainly apple of his eye." Middleton. #chsnews #RoofTrial

The Post and Courier ‏@postandcourier 23m23 minutes ago
Middleton on Pinckney: "He was passing out bubblegum cigars. He was high-fiving people down the hall. He was so happy to be a father."

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 7m7 minutes ago
Middleton was in Georgetown when he got the news from Jennifer. At first, he thought she was joking. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 9m9 minutes ago
When Middleton found out about Pinckney, he thought Jennifer was joking, and hung up the phone. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 7m7 minutes ago
He says when Jennifer called back, "Pinckney was shot. I need you to come to Charleston right now." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 6m6 minutes ago
Middleton says Pinckney had been in a horrific car accident in March of 2015. Says he was mangled in the guard rail. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 7m7 minutes ago
Clementa got in a car accident once on I-20, Middleton picked him up. That night, he outlined his wishes if anything ever happened to him.

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 6m6 minutes ago
Middleton says he and Pinckney discussed what would happen if Pinckney were to die, following that accident. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 5m5 minutes ago
One wish of Pinckney's was that Middleton be there as a father figure to his two girls. Now, Middleton says he does that. #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 5m5 minutes ago
"It was such a horrific tragedy... I still can't believe to this day..." Middleton says about Pinckney's death. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 5m5 minutes ago
"It's almost like he imprinted in my DNA to make certain those girls wouldn't go without having a figure [of value]". #chsnews #RoofTrial

"I refuse to breathe air and not allow the same love and depth of whatever he desired for them to be realized in their lifetimes." Middleton

Middleton says he's never developed a friendship similar to what he had with Pinckney. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"Beyond death, he's still my brother... his daughters are in my heart... his wife has shoulder to cry on." - Middleton. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Middleton says he still remembers the coroner's words. "Being in this courtroom is so surreal," he adds. @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

"I was closer to Pinckney than I was to people in my own family," Rev. Middleton says. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

"Pinckney is irreplaceable," Middleton testifies. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 46s46 seconds ago
Government finishes with Rev. Kylon Middleton. No cross-examination from Roof. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

No further questions from the prosecution. No cross-examination by Roof. Middleton steps down. Court in break. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 42s42 seconds ago
"Let's take a break," Judge Gergel says. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much YESorNO for all your posting. Quietly following along. Beyond heartbreaking!!!! I'm glad Roof isn't asking them anything. Praying he doesn't as we move forward.

"I have a motion," Gergel says. Break is over. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Gergel tells Roof if he has an objection to a question he needs to stand up at that time to object. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Court back in session after a brief mid-afternoon break. #DylannRoof was standing like he wanted to say something. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Judge says he received a motion saying that Roof objected to some of the questioning by the prosecution. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 1m1 minute ago
#DylannRoof also objects to number of witnesses prosecution plans to call, specifically those related to the victims. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 47s48 seconds ago
Prosecution says they have a good number of witnesses per victim because he (Roof) chose to kill 9. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 37s38 seconds ago
Judge says there are limits when it comes to the number of witnesses, but he'll look that over if that comes up. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Richardson says he's not trying to be overwhelming with his case. Gergel doesn't believe he's to that point yet. #RoofTrial @wis10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jury is brought back into the courtroom. Prosecution will call its third witness for the day. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Prosecution calls Sen. Gerald Malloy (Darlington County area). He was a fellow lawmaker with Sen. Clementa Pinckney. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Government's next witness is Sen. Gerald Malloy. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

He's a senator that represents #DarlingtonCountySC. #sctweets @wis10 #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 24s25 seconds ago
Sen. Gerald Malloy, on stand now, said he feels like he's known Clementa Pinckney, or "Clem," all his life. #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 57s57 seconds ago
Malloy refers to Clementa Pinckney as "Clem". Says he met him when Pinckney was in his early 20s. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 46s47 seconds ago
Malloy says "Clem" was a very serious person in public service field. "He was sensitive, everything you could imagine." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Malloy explains Clem as someone who held doors for women, knelt to speak to children, clapped his hand on men's backs like old friends.

Sen. Malloy talks about a picture that shows Sen. Pinckney presiding over the #SC senate. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

In the picture, a portrait of John C. Calhoun is over Sen. Pinckney's shoulder. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 2m2 minutes ago
Photo shown of Sen. Pinckney addressing SC Senate, in front of giant portrait of John C. Calhoun. Malloy said it captures "past and present"

Sen. Gerald Malloy says the photo of Sen. Pinckney symbolizes the past and future of the #SC state senate. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

"Clem's charge was to serve the people," Sen. Malloy says. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 14s15 seconds ago
Malloy says Pinckney put miles and miles on his car serving his church, family, and those in his district. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"He represented people from all walks of life. He had a voice for the least of them." Malloy says of Pinckney. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"I never saw Clem raise his voice," Malloy says, who adds that the #SC senate is a confrontational place. #sctweets #DylannRoof #RoofTrial

Malloy said fellow senators saw Pinckney as "the calm amidst the storm;" he never raised his deep, baritone voice. #RoofTrial

"He was the calm in the midst of the storm," Malloy says of Pinckney and his role in this Senate. #chsnews #RoofTria

Sen. Malloy calls Sen. Pinckney "the absolute best senator." #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

"He was the absolute best Senator," Malloy says. I'm stepping outside for live shots. Will be back shortly. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"Clem was the absolute best Senator," Malloy said. "Clem was that calm. The person that prayed. The person that would comfort" #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 1m1 minute ago
Malloy said Pinckney didn't file a lot of bills, but he worked to get scholarships for needy and programs for children #RoofTrial
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Malloy's sons was Sen. Pinckney's page. Pinckney always took time to talk to the young pages about their life & goals. #RoofTrial

Malloy said Pinckney gave "incredible speeches" when he was on Senate floor, in committees, or even just in daily conversation. #Rooftrial

A video of Sen. Clementa Pinckney giving speech to civil rights group at #EmanuelAME being played in court. #RoofTrial

The Post and Courier Retweeted
Caitlin Byrd ‏@MaryCaitlinByrd 5m5 minutes ago
Watch the video of S.C. Sen. Clementa Pinckney that jurors are watching right now in the #RoofTrial http://bit.ly/2hS5qit #chsnews

[video=youtube;XP35_JVnP6g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP35_JVnP6g[/video]

Pinckney discusses founder of church, Morris Brown, & role church played in African Americans' lives during slavery in #Chs. #RoofTrial

Pinckney gives lesson of Denmark Vesey, church leader who planned a failed slave rebellion. After, SC law forced #EmanuelAME to close.

Pinckney said he saw #EmanuelAME "as a beacon and a bearer of our culture and.. of what makes us a people," and "what America is all about."

Malloy describes the video now saying Pinckney had no notes, but actually "spoke to" those in attendance. #chsnews #RoofTrial
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malloy recalling a discussion w. Sen. Pinckney from 2012, voice cracks as he chokes back tears...

Malloy's voice breaks as he continues to talk about Pinckney and a case they were working on. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 4m4 minutes ago
Malloy's voice breaks as he talks about representing/interviewing Clementa. He was Pinckney's atty. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

For all the things Sen. Pinckney did, Malloy said he realized Pinckney viewed himself simply as an "itenerant pastor." #RoofTrial

"All the things he did in life, all the accolades... his definition of himself was that I'm just an itinerant pastor." #chsnews #RoofTrial

"I'm just an itinerant pastor," Sen. Malloy says Sen. Pinckney told him. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

Sen. Malloy, recalling another story, says Pinckney was a Harry Potter expert. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

Malloy says Pinckney was an expert on Harry Potter. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Caitlin Byrd ‏@MaryCaitlinByrd 4m4 minutes ago
A powerful quote from the video of S.C. Sen. Clementa Pinckney on freedom, equality and pursuit of happiness (1/2) #chsnews #RoofTrial

Caitlin Byrd ‏@MaryCaitlinByrd 3m3 minutes ago
"Somtimes you've gotta make noise to do that... Sometimes you may even have to die like Denmark Vesey to do that" #chsnews #RoofTrial (2/2)

Court will hear a voicemail Pinckney left for Tanya Gee, atty & judge in SC. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Pinckney says he wanted her to know he was praying for her. Gee died in September due to cancer. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Malloy said it's not surprising that Sen. Pinckney would welcome #DylannRoof to Bible Study. "He had an open-door policy." #RoofTrial

No further questions from prosecution. No cross from Roof. Malloy steps down. Rev. Anthony Thompson call to stand. #chsnews #RoofTrial
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rev. Anthony Thompson is the widower of victim Myra Thompson. He's a pastor here in Charleston. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Rev. Anthony Thompson was married to Myra 16 years. She used to say they needed to take "portraits" together. One of them shown to court.

Anthony says he was married to Myra for 16 years. Says he knew of her from a young age. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Picture shown to jury of Myra and Anthony. "This is one of my best pictures of her," Anthony says. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"She had a smile that just captivated me," Anthony says. This is part of the picture that's being shown in courtroom. #chsnews #RoofTrial

C1WzbhmWQAAz63e.jpg

"She could get anything from me when she smiled," Thompson said of Myra. #RoofTrial

Photo of Myra Thompson as a young girl shown to the court. "I never payed much attention to her back then" Anthony says. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Thompson said Myra was four years younger than him, so he never paid much attention to her when they were kids in #Charleston.

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 14s14 seconds ago
Myra was "very independent.. nothing could stop her," Thompson said. #RoofTrial

Caitlin Byrd ‏@MaryCaitlinByrd 5m5 minutes ago
This photo of the Rev. Anthony Thompson was taken the night of the Mother Emanuel shooting by our photographer Wade Spees. (1/3) #RoofTrial

C1WzkYUVQAAACGc.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bundy does not count he was trained. Do you guys know of anyone else , who is obviously suffering with some issues allowed to do this??

I honestly don't believe he doesn't feel a thing for those people. I think his words and facial expressions betray him. But every time he starts to feel something, shame, remorse, sadness, he does the ole' "I had to do it for the white people," to convince himself it had to be done and distract from those feelings. Obviously, he is going to get the death penalty. There's just no argument that can be made, especially if he's not going for mental illness. He didn't even have the courage to off himself. The whole thing is just so utterly tragic and pointless. He did this, killed those nine good, wonderful hearted people for what? A bit of noteriety?

I don't know. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

Thanks so much to Yes or No for posting the tweets. Following along in lurkdom.

Bundy does not count he was trained. Do you guys know of anyone else , who is obviously suffering with some issues allowed to do this??

How can they stop him? He was found competent and it's his constitutional right to defend himself and present the defense he wants to present. If he wants to choose suicide by jury, then let him.

Anthony Thompson says he ran into Myra at @BenedictEDU. That's how their relationship began. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

Anthony & Myra met on college campus, when he offered to take her home to Charleston. They started riding together to & from #Chs a lot.

Anthony says he was impressed by Myra's goals. #chsnews #RoofTrial

When they graduated from Benedict College, Myra & Anthony returned to Charleston. Myra started teaching at Cathedral Catholic School.

Anthony says when they both graduated from college he say Myra worked at Burke H.S. as a substitute teacher. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Anthony goes on to say that she ended up teaching at another school as well. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Anthony's son went to school where Myra taught, so they reconnected. Anthony had been divorced, & eventually they started dating. #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 47s47 seconds ago
Photo now shown to jury of Myra on her wedding day. "That was the best day of my life," Anthony says. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 37s38 seconds ago
"She just looked so stunning. She was always beautiful, but that day she was beautiful inside and out," Anthony says. #chsnews #RoofTrial

"That was the best day of my life right there," Anthony said as he looks at photo of Myra in her wedding dress. "She looked so stunning."

"That was the best day of my life - right there," Thompson says of a picture of Myra in her wedding dress. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

"She was beautiful, inside and out," Anthony said of Myra. "I just can't imagine why she wanted to marry me." #RoofTrial.

The Post and Courier ‏@postandcourier 2m2 minutes ago
"She was the person I'd prayed for," Rev. Thompson says, reflecting through tears on his and Myra's wedding day. #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 44s44 seconds ago
Anthony said he couldn't say "I do" at altar b/c he was crying so hard. "She said 'perk up!'" #RoofTrial

"When it came to say 'I do' I couldn't... I was crying too hard," Anthony says. "She told me to man up." #chsnews #RoofTrial

"She always wanted her family to be a part of anything and everything we did," Anthony said of Myra. #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 18s19 seconds ago
"Nobody could surprise her" Anthony said, so he took a lot of pride in being able to surprise her on special occasions. #RoofTrial

One Sunday, he went & picked out a bunch of beach clothes & chairs - surprised Myra w/ it after church and said "we're going to the beach."

Anthony said they talked about their future that day at the beach. He's getting choked up, remembering. #RoofTrial

Anthony now gets very emotional on the witness stand. Takes long pauses between his words, clears his throat. #chsnews #RoofTrial
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BBM Just because Roof is representing himself, doesn't mean he "suffers issues". He just thinks differently than the norm and that doesn't mean he is mentally ill, IMO. Not everyone follows the majority. He is one who doesn't and that's his right, but that right doesn't give him the right to murder people who don't follow his ideals, IMO.

8 Defendants Who Represented Themselves In Court And Failed

https://www.phactual.com/8-defendants-who-represented-themselves-in-court-and-failed/

Are these people nuts? I don't know.

PHOTOS: Infamous Defendants Who Represented Themselves (and their stories)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/photos/photos-infamous-defendants-represented-17376177/image-17376208
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks again for all the updates today, Y/N!

That day, Myra & Anthony had decided to move to Charlotte to be near grandchildren, and to start traveling more. Then the tragedy happened.

Anthony says he and Myra had a conversation about her entering the ministry. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Chad K. Mills ‏@ChadKMills 5m5 minutes ago
Anthony Thompson gets emotional talking about Myra's plans for the future. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 33s34 seconds ago
Sobbing on the witness stand, Anthony said he "never thought she wouldn't be here." #RoofTrial

He's very emotional when recalling his conversation with Myra about their future. "Never thought she wouldn't be here." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Anthony says Myra was strong minded. "She gave everything 100%. She was a perfectionist." #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 46s46 seconds ago
Anthony describes Myra as a very optimistic person. In an essence said people can do anything they put their minds to. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Karina Bolster ‏@KRBolster 49s50 seconds ago
I'm stepping out of the courthouse for a quick live shot. I'll update on Anthony Thompson's testimony when I get back. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Anthony said Myra encouraged him to continue seminary education. "She was 100% behind me, every step of the way." #RoofTrial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Post and Courier ‏@postandcourier 16m16 minutes ago
Rev. Anthony Thompson says Myra was "the driving force" in many of the accomplishments in his life and ministry. #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 14m14 minutes ago
"She set her mind to something, and that was it," Anthony said of Myra. "She could teach an old dog new tricks." #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 12m12 minutes ago
She taught in a school where kids "were very rough," but unlike other teachers there, Myra didn't have a problem keeping class in control.

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 13m13 minutes ago
Anthony said teaching was Myra's calling, but she wanted to go back to school for counseling to help kids even more. #RoofTrial

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 11m11 minutes ago
Then, while counseling, Myra discovered a lot of kids had issues in school b/c they couldn't read well. So she became a literacy specialist.

Abigail Darlington ‏@A_Big_Gail 9m9 minutes ago
Myra earned Master's Degree from Citadel to specialize in reading.
"It was always about helping people," Anthony said. #RoofTrial

Myra attended Benedict College when son was young, she went home every weekend to see him at her mother's & worked at McDonald's. #RoofTrial

"That's the kind of woman she is," Anthony said of Myra, getting choked up again. "You can't help but respect her." #RoofTrial

Anthony remembered Myra used to tell him she was going to buy new clothes, but then she'd go give the money to others in need. #RoofTrial

Myra was incredibly proud of her two children, Rev. Thompson says. "She would literally sacrifice anything for them." #RoofTrial

Myra prepared to lead her first Bible Study at #EmanuelAME for two months Anthony said. It was the first & last Bible Study she ever led.

Anthony says Myra must have worked the lesson for the bible study she was teaching 06/16/15 for at least two months. #chsnews #RoofTrial

Anthony says Myra must have worked the lesson for the bible study she was teaching 06/17/15 for at least two months. #chsnews #RoofTrial

I'm back from a liveshot. Anthony Thompson is still testifying. #sctweets @wis10 #RoofTrial
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dylann Roof stares down as Rev. Anthony Thompson testifies about his wife Myra, whom Roof killed along with eight others. #RoofTrial

Such an emotional day. I do hope no one says anything negative about these witnesses or why they are called to give their statements.

I also hope DR is "really hearing" what is coming from their hearts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megan_peterson253
Back