SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will stick up for you and your state! I've been to Charleston on vacation and loved it, the history and the wonderful people. I'm hoping to drive through your state on my way up to Virginia later this year. I've read here, and of course other stuff in the media all the time, about my chosen state of Texas being racist and bigoted. That hasn't been my experience in the 13 years I've lived here. I'm sure there are plenty of racists if I look for them and decide I want to hang out with those types. Hmmm, just as in every state.

You are also not alone in your questioning of the hate crime issue...I know of others who, from a real "human value" question, wonder why the *reason* matters for the crime. How someone described it to me was, "because I was killed due to xyz reason, my life mattered or was worth more than yours, if you were killed out of just general rage/anger?" I had never thought about it like that, and have come back to that question many times over the years. I'm sure it was enacted to ensure the maximum penalty for some crimes that targeted certain groups, to work around lesser charges in differing states, maybe?...but in this case, if SC already has the DP for state crimes, and they are intending to proceed with it, then why are the federal charges required? Maybe procedural reasons or ? I really don't know, as it isn't something we deal with in this office. Remember, in almost all other crimes, motive does not matter or need to be proven.

BBM, And this goes to a previous post ^^ about ' you can only kill the perp once' if it's a hate crime or not, as well. Yes, if you look at a hate crime murder, that would seem redundant. But if you look at all of the other hate crimes, it might make more sense. If someone dumps a bag of garbage in your yard because they are too lazy to go to the trash can then that is not a very serious crime. If they dump a bag of garbage in your yard and spray paint racist language, that is a hate crime. That means but for the ' hate' they would not have done what would normally be called mere 'vandalism'. Ditto with an assault . Two drunk guys outside a bar at 2 a.m. smack talking each other until one throws a punch should not be the same charge as someone who seeks out a minority to assault. So why should the charge and punishment be the same. As for the punishment, yes you can only kill them once. But if it were one murder , instead of 9, in our current justice system, there's a fair chance this guy might get out of prison sometime after 20 yrs. The ' hate ' aspect tacked on will make all the sentencing longer. All moo of course.

I read he was very quiet and stayed locked in his room a lot. I believe it's quite possible the people around him did not encourage or ignore his thoughts and behavior.

We just don't know at this point. But I do not believe we can speculate on that at this time. IMO that's not fair to those he spent time with.

JMO
It's been reported by some of his friends that he joked around and was not loner at school. He had friends. In fact, one of his friends said they took the gun away from him because he shouldn't have owned one. It's been reported since he was kicked out of school in 9th grade, he did spend more time in his room. Any parent that allows their child to drop out of school in 9th grade and never hold down a job, etc..are part of the problem. He didn't wake up one day and become a racist. These things are taught. Even his friends said he was racist during his school years. The patches in one of the pictures surely makes me believe he has been like this for a long time, as well as his family being fully aware of his beliefs. They lived in the same house. JMO

You don't become like Roof unless the people around you encourage or ignore your thoughts and behavior.
There are 19 different hate groups in SC. Sounds like he had no problem finding like mind thinking, unfortunately.

You don't become like Roof unless the people around you encourage or ignore your thoughts and behavior.

The internet also provides many opportunities for this. A disaffected person can quickly gravitate to some nefarious opinions online.

CNN Live just reported the justice department is thinking about charging him with domestic terrorism. GOOD! JMO

10 News ‏@WTSP10News [video=twitter;611989627390554112]https://twitter.com/WTSP10News/status/611989627390554112[/video]
Affidavit: #DylannRoof stood over witness, made racial remark after shootings.All 9 victims were shot multiple times

I love you
[/IMG][/IMG]

I am , I think, coming to terms , with what is so freaking me out. Like most of you, we are read. There is something so haunting about the reality, that this dropout, somehow, knew about the signifance, of this church.

I had no idea. It is more creepy, in terms of the driving distnaces involved. He knew, the signfigance of doing this there. That is truly creepy.....................................

I am , I think, coming to terms , with what is so freaking me out. Like most of you, we are read. There is something so haunting about the reality, that this dropout, somehow, knew about the signifance, of this church.

I had no idea. It is more creepy, in terms of the driving distnaces involved. He knew, the signfigance of doing this there. That is truly creepy.....................................

How is it creepy? There is no way he didn't have Internet access.

There are 19 different hate groups in SC. Sounds like he had no problem finding like mind thinking, unfortunately.

Not to be starting trouble but with the internet age, it really doesn't matter how close to your physical location any ' group ' is . You can still find like minded people and socialize with them and swap ideas anywhere in the world.

i'm still calling you scoop :D and now bravo will feel better, she was gutted about the parent purchase lol..........

LOL Yes I was my Queen LOL and yes Pops is awesome with the scoops. I was grateful for my day today. I drove early this a.m. hour and a half away to spend time with my 94 year old Auntie at the Retirement home. She is amazing and her visit talking of simpler times was just the ticket. Of course this horrific tragedy was tucked in the back of my brain. I couldn't help but think of the killing of the 89 year old. And all the Victims. I had to leave tho by 2 p.m. as wine and cheese was happening in the dining room. She had to attend LOL. I would have joined her but had to drive home. Off to get caught up.

CNN Live just reported the justice department is thinking about charging him with domestic terrorism. GOOD! JMO

Yes throw the book at him!!! Hope your ok after your hit and run. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Because it keeps being repeated that South Carolina has 19 Hate Groups like that explaines why Roof became a racist . Or to reinforce the view that SC is full of racists. I thought I would list the states with more hate groups than SC...from the Southern Poverty Law Center Hate Map 2014

New York 44 Texas 36 California 57 Pennsylvania 38 Virginia 27 North Carolina 24 Florida 50 Georgia 28 Mississippi 22 Illinois 21
Tennessee 29 Ohio 27 New Jersey 40 Arkansas 20

all speakers talked of god and forgiving and not letting hate win even though they are hurting :heartbeat:

omg how moving that was........bless them all :rose:

I watched it and cried like a baby. God bless them.

LOL Yes I was my Queen LOL and yes Pops is awesome with the scoops. I was grateful for my day today. I drove early this a.m. hour and a half away to spend time with my 94 year old Auntie at the Retirement home. She is amazing and her visit talking of simpler times was just the ticket. Of course this horrific tragedy was tucked in the back of my brain. I couldn't help but think of the killing of the 89 year old. And all the Victims. I had to leave tho by 2 p.m. as wine and cheese was happening in the dining room. She had to attend LOL. I would have joined her but had to drive home. Off to get caught up.
it sounds like a wonderful day and just what your heart needed and i'm sure just what she needed too........hugs my friend :hug:

i must admit, my heart is hurting today from all the pain but i continue to be buoyed by the love and grace shown by these citizens and most of all by the family members of the victims and i am so glad that charleston has rallied against hate...it would have been easy to do otherwise..they have risen above it all and i am in awe :heartbeat:

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

10 News ‏@WTSP10News [video=twitter;611989627390554112]https://twitter.com/WTSP10News/status/611989627390554112[/video]
Affidavit: #DylannRoof stood over witness, made racial remark after shootings.All 9 victims were shot multiple times

This guy isn't crazy, he knew exactly what he was doing. He's just a racist, narcissistic sociopath. Someone who thinks his opinions and world view are more important than others. Like most racists, he sees himself as superior to others and entitled to judge them, to take away their lives to make a point. He's an evil, twisted person, but sane.

I was just viewing the photo of him wearing a vest with apartheid symbols on it. How did his parents let him leave the house wearing something like that? Didn't anyone think to say "Hey, that's offensive. Take it off." His friends said he spoke of starting a race war by killing black people. Did any of them think to say "Hey, that's wrong. I'm going to report you to the police"? This guy wasn't a loner, he spent time around friends and family regularly. He worked at jobs, sporadic as they were.

An evil person allowed to pursue his twisted goals with no criticism or interference from anyone around him.

Because it keeps being repeated that South Carolina has 19 Hate Groups like that explaines why Roof became a racist . Or to reinforce the view that SC is full of racists. I thought I would list the states with more hate groups than SC...from the Southern Poverty Law Center Hate Map 2014

New York 44 Texas 36 California 57 Pennsylvania 38 Virginia 27 North Carolina 24 Florida 50 Georgia 28 Mississippi 22 Illinois 21

Let's not forget -- the population of SC is only about 4.8 million people. Of the states you listed, only Arkansas and Mississippi are smaller. Moreover, having a large number of hate groups per capita -- which SC does -- doesn't mean that the groups have many practicing members.

Not to belabor the argument of SC having lots of racists, but raw numbers don't tell a very informed story. And frankly, this man could have become racist with or without groups.

Not at all. My point is it doesn't have to come from the parents anymore because people are exposed to so much outside of the home now...that is all. I am not ignorant and am fully aware this problem exists in every state. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aebuser