SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget -- the population of SC is only about 4.8 million people. Of the states you listed, only Arkansas and Mississippi are smaller. Moreover, having a large number of hate groups per capita -- which SC does -- doesn't mean that the groups have many practicing members.

Not to belabor the argument of SC having lots of racists, but raw numbers don't tell a very informed story. And frankly, this man could have become racist with or without groups.

Thank you , I had not considered the states' population. I agree with you , he could of become a racist with or without groups .

WSB-TV ‏@wsbtv [video=twitter;612000101037404161]https://twitter.com/wsbtv/status/612000101037404161[/video]
The Roof family has released a statement over the #CharlestonShooting: The Roof Family would like to extend their deepest sympathies ...

(con't) sympathies and condolences to families of the victims in Wednesday night’s shooting at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston.
(CON'T) Words cannot express our shock, grief, and disbelief as to what happened that night. We are devastated and saddened by what occurred
(CON'T) We offer our prayers sympathy for all of those impacted by these events. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families ...
(CONT) and friends of those killed this week. We have all been touched by the moving words from the victims’ families
(CONT) offering God’s forgiveness and love in the face of such horrible suffering.
(CONT) Our hope and prayer is for peace and healing for the families of the victims, the Charleston community, and those touched ...
(CONT) by these events throughout the state of South Carolina and our nation.
(CONT) As you can imagine, words are hard to find and we would ask that the media respect our family’s privacy at this time.

He's an adult. Not sure we can (or should) start blaming and sleuthing parents and family at this point.

JMO

Agree, it could sway a future jury or trial judge. This judge's message could be used to promote an insanity defense by making the victim seem a hapless crazy person who acted on his own private delusional thoughts. I hope they bring federal charges, so there's a chance he can be tried in federal court. Just in case.

From what I've heard watching the news, the federal hate crime charges will only come into play if the state doesn't it do it's job and convict him of the 9 murders.

The $1M bond would only apply if somehow the murder charges were dropped - highly unlikely.

The judge's mention of Roof's family, IMO, was just an attempt to keep the peace - which Charleston is doing a wonderful job of. The victim impact statements also seemed to have the same goal. It's very unusual, but I think it was better said in the secure and official courtroom - than outside in front of a bunch of cameras.

BBM, And this goes to a previous post ^^ about ' you can only kill the perp once' if it's a hate crime or not, as well. Yes, if you look at a hate crime murder, that would seem redundant. But if you look at all of the other hate crimes, it might make more sense. If someone dumps a bag of garbage in your yard because they are too lazy to go to the trash can then that is not a very serious crime. If they dump a bag of garbage in your yard and spray paint racist language, that is a hate crime. That means but for the ' hate' they would not have done what would normally be called mere 'vandalism'. Ditto with an assault . Two drunk guys outside a bar at 2 a.m. smack talking each other until one throws a punch should not be the same charge as someone who seeks out a minority to assault. So why should the charge and punishment be the same. As for the punishment, yes you can only kill them once. But if it were one murder , instead of 9, in our current justice system, there's a fair chance this guy might get out of prison sometime after 20 yrs. The ' hate ' aspect tacked on will make all the sentencing longer. All moo of course.

Thank you, SCHMAE...yes, that makes some sense in some crimes. I'd hope (and expect) in this situation, SC will have no problem trying and convicting him of the 9 murders, and LWOP or DP.

I remember the first hate crime I heard about when I was living in CA and it was an arson of several churches. I don't remember all the details, but I think the 2 brothers went on an arson spree of maybe 3 churches (I'm thinking synagogues, but not 100% sure), in the central valley area. I know it was going to up their punishments by them being charged with these being a hate crime. I don't think anyone died, I think it was all property related, thank goodness.

Thanks again.

Because it keeps being repeated that South Carolina has 19 Hate Groups like that explaines why Roof became a racist . Or to reinforce the view that SC is full of racists. I thought I would list the states with more hate groups than SC...from the Southern Poverty Law Center Hate Map 2014

New York 44 Texas 36 California 57 Pennsylvania 38 Virginia 27 North Carolina 24 Florida 50 Georgia 28 Mississippi 22 Illinois 21
Tennessee 29 Ohio 27 New Jersey 40 Arkansas 20

Seems to be % according to population and if CA has the most, that would shock most to hear because I think the attitude is that CA is very easy going, very open minded and very accepting of all . So, the 19 groups in SC causing this is a bit out the window in my opinion. Tks so much for sharing this.

Just heard the court proceedings, the grieving South Carolina family members' voices, such a sad day for them given such weight by their words.

Gelsemium_sempervirens_003b.jpg

~~~ :rose: ~~~ :rose: ~~~ :rose: ~~~ :rose: ~~~ :rose: ~~~ :rose: ~~~ :rose: ~~~ :rose: ~~~ :rose: ~~~

From what I've heard watching the news, the federal hate crime charges will only come into play if the state doesn't it do it's job and convict him of the 9 murders.

The $1M bond would only apply if somehow the murder charges were dropped - highly unlikely.

The judge's mention of Roof's family, IMO, was just an attempt to keep the peace - which Charleston is doing a wonderful job of. The victim impact statements also seemed to have the same goal. It's very unusual, but I think it was better said in the secure and official courtroom - than outside in front of a bunch of cameras.

That makes really good sense and after his confession, he's got little to no chance of not being convicted. So they hang the hate on if all else fails. Good to know. Tks

Seems to be % according to population and if CA has the most, that would shock most to hear because I think the attitude is that CA is very easy going, very open minded and very accepting of all . So, the 19 groups in SC causing this is a bit out the window in my opinion. Tks so much for sharing this.

It IS a little surprising, but when I was a rookie, I worked in a county in the Sierra Foothills...I learned early on that there were small racist groups living in our county. I was specifically told, "there's a reason they live in the mountains." They keep to their very small, basically rural areas, can see outsiders and LE approaching, and they want to be left alone. We were to never go on calls in those areas without proper backup.

OT -- I'm not sure if we're on the same page here --

Going by the rate of hate groups per million residents, California's rate would be 1.47; South Carolina's rate would be 3.96 -- so there are more than twice the number of hate groups per million residents in South Carolina than there are in California. Not that any of this has any direct connection to the mass murder/hate crime in question.

IANAL, but its prejudicial for the judge to offer his opinions in a judicial hearing. Perhaps the South Carolina justice system is different. Are they one of those states where some judges are not required to be practicing attorneys?

As for keeping the peace, there are plenty of other public officials and local leaders who are assuming that role. It's not necessary for a judge to engage in public relations speeches during a hearing. He's likely going to regret his public expressions of sympathy for the killer's family as the public learns more about them.

OT -- I'm not sure if we're on the same page here --

Going by the rate of hate groups per million residents, California's rate would be 1.47; South Carolina's rate would be 3.96 -- so there are more than twice the number of hate groups per million residents in South Carolina than there are in California. Not that any of this has any direct connection to the mass murder/hate crime in question.

My point mostly was CA has more hate groups than other states by far but no one refers to CA as a ' racist ' state. I don't think it had an impact on this case. Now if we find out this guy was a member of those groups, that may be a different story. But I'd bet , since he stayed home in his room, he did most of his ' bonding' with others via the internet and that's everywhere , 24/ 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico