SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn’t convinced earlier on that PMPED was aware of AM shadiness but now I don’t see how they could not have known anything. It’s not adding up…

Even if you ignore the $s, (hard I know), didn't clients contact the firm and ask/demand information about what had happened in their case, where their settlements were? Surely some would have?

The attorney, S.C. Rep. Justin Bamberg, told FITSNews on Monday that one of the alleged victims he is representing, from whom Murdaugh is accused of taking $750,000 nearly two years ago, was recently charged a $300,000 attorney fee by Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth and Detrick when the firm returned the money to him.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2021/12/30...-from-murdaughs-alleged-victim-attorney-says/

Bamberg said another former client of Murdaugh’s was threatened by one of PMPED’s attorneys after he informed the firm that he had retained outside counsel.

Bamberg also suggested that the court might consider a receivership on PMPED as the case continues to get more complicated.

“The firm is a direct beneficiary of Alex Murdaugh’s misdeeds and it raises the question of: Should the firm’s money be tied up?” Bamberg said. “I think that for the best interest of the victims who have to be made whole, (a receivership) is something that needs to be looked at.”

In another incident, Bamberg said a former client of Murdaugh received a call from Murdaugh one week after he was allegedly shot in what he said was a “murder for hire” plot and days after it was announced that the state Supreme Court had suspended his license to practice law.

At the time, Murdaugh was allegedly detoxing in a rehab facility out of state.

Murdaugh was calling the client to tell her that he had secured a settlement for her case, Bamberg said.

“How? How?” Bamberg said about the alleged phone call from rehab. “It is literally mind-boggling.”

Bamberg told FITSNews that lawsuits against PMPED could be coming soon, which could include a class action suit.

“Ain’t nobody about to punk my clients,” Bamberg said.
For our newcomers: There are podcasts on this case.

If you can’t get behind the paywall and want the FN story firsthand, FitsNews podcasts are often a very good summary of their articles. One of the most recent, #25: Taking on the Firm, had Mr. Bamberg as a guest and he discussed all this with Mandy. MOO.

<modsnip>

Happy listening!

Last edited by a moderator:
In another incident, Bamberg said a former client of Murdaugh received a call from Murdaugh one week after he was allegedly shot in what he said was a “murder for hire” plot and days after it was announced that the state Supreme Court had suspended his license to practice law.

At the time, Murdaugh was allegedly detoxing in a rehab facility out of state.

Murdaugh was calling the client to tell her that he had secured a settlement for her case, Bamberg said.

I don't know... how does someone in the early throes of a decades long drug addiction withdrawal AND a gunshot wound to the head continue working as a personal injury lawyer? hummmmmo_O
Especially after his license to practice law had been suspended? OMO.

If that was the case, there wouldn't be the need for two weapons though.

I was thinking about this. What if MM was down by the kennels tending and loving on the dogs and PM was at the house (maybe even planning on joining her soon) and he heard multiple gunshots. A shotgun could be a hunting weapon but it could also be a house weapon too.

It's possible PM came running down with the shotgun in his hands and the killer disarmed him or struggled with him for possession?

I know not many hear AM saying on the 911 call, " For God's sake Paul, why'd you have to get involved?" but I do, very clearly.

To me that sounds like AM wasn't expecting PM to be there, he was a surprise. Also IMO, MM posed the greater threat to exposing AM's financial misdeeds. She was the target, PM was collateral damage, killed by an identified Murdaugh weapon.

Just some thoughts and AJMO

I was thinking about this. What if MM was down by the kennels tending and loving on the dogs and PM was at the house (maybe even planning on joining her soon) and he heard multiple gunshots. A shotgun could be a hunting weapon but it could also be a house weapon too.

It's possible PM came running down with the shotgun in his hands and the killer disarmed him or struggled with him for possession?

I know not many hear AM saying on the 911 call, " For God's sake Paul, why'd you have to get involved?" but I do, very clearly.

To me that sounds like AM wasn't expecting PM to be there, he was a surprise. Also IMO, MM posed the greater threat to exposing AM's financial misdeeds. She was the target, PM was collateral damage, killed by an identified Murdaugh weapon.

Just some thoughts and AJMO
I'm mildly open to that theory, although I'd expect Alex to simply use the AR 15 he shot Maggie with. Paul was shot twice, so it's clear he was meant to die.

So I struggle with a struggle taking place, only for Paul to be executed anyway.

I'm mildly open to that theory, although I'd expect Alex to simply use the AR 15 he shot Maggie with. Paul was shot twice, so it's clear he was meant to die.

So I struggle with a struggle taking place, only for Paul to be executed anyway.
I think of what I said this way. If in fact AM was evil enough to wait in ambush for his wife. If he murdered her (shot her in the back) and his son showed up unexpectedly, they struggled with the shotgun and a first accidental discharge to his chest or head/shoulder area left PM still alive. An evil person would surely get rid of a witness. I think if all we know about AM is true, all the dirty deeds done, it's just a breath away from doing two unthinkable acts of murder as easy as one. AJMO

I asked quite aways back how long it was before AM was interviewed after the killings. I believe someone said 2-3 days, IIRC. I can't believe he wasn't questioning immediately upon SLED arriving.

So I could gather from that, he was allowed to leave the scene and go home probably with a family member? Maybe he stayed at the house at Moselle but I doubt it.

Were AM's clothes not gathered that night? The husband finds his wife and son shot dead, would he not be the initial suspect? Was he even given a GSR test that night? Did they at the least take pictures of him that night? If he turned his clothes over when he came into the interview days later, had they been compromised from the night of the murders?

I just have so many questions about all that.

When considering the “Paul heard shots, grabbed a shotgun and raced to investigate” scenario, I always pictured him catching Dad in the act. It just occured to me it would take Paul at least a moment to arrive after hearing the gunshot so it’s highly unlikely he witnessed AM in the act. Plus dear old Dad probably heard him coming. Snake that Alex is, I can see him hiding his gun, acting like someone else shot MM and saying to Paul “he’s still out there. Quick, give me the gun!”. Unless Paul suspected Dad wanted to murder Mom it would be natural for him to comply.

AM would immediately realize he was in a pickle if he couldn’t pretend to be visiting ailing parents across town, and once Paul saw him there he was busted. So as usual Alex did what was in the best interest of Alex.

The alleged scheme is incredibly complex and so far has involved his longtime friend, Beaufort attorney Cory Fleming, as well as at least two high-level employees of Palmetto State Bank (PSB), including bank Vice President Chad Westendorf and the bank’s CEO, Russell Laffitte, sources told FITSNews on Wednesday morning.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/01/05...ors-expected-to-be-indicted-soon-sources-say/

Laffitte — like Murdaugh — is a member of a powerful Hampton County family that has, for four generations, loomed large in the community. Murdaugh’s great-grandfather founded PMPED; Laffitte’s family founded PSB.

According to multiple sources, Laffitte was placed on administrative leave by the bank’s board of directors Tuesday. Westendorf remains an employee of PSB. The board of directors is composed mostly of members of the Laffitte family.

Both Laffitte and Westendorf have served as paid personal representatives for the plaintiffs in wrongful death cases tied to Murdaugh and Fleming.

Multiple sources have told FITSNews that Laffitte and Palmetto State Bank are connected to several more cases involving Murdaugh.

The alleged scheme is incredibly complex and so far has involved his longtime friend, Beaufort attorney Cory Fleming, as well as at least two high-level employees of Palmetto State Bank (PSB), including bank Vice President Chad Westendorf and the bank’s CEO, Russell Laffitte, sources told FITSNews on Wednesday morning.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/01/05...ors-expected-to-be-indicted-soon-sources-say/

Laffitte — like Murdaugh — is a member of a powerful Hampton County family that has, for four generations, loomed large in the community. Murdaugh’s great-grandfather founded PMPED; Laffitte’s family founded PSB.

According to multiple sources, Laffitte was placed on administrative leave by the bank’s board of directors Tuesday. Westendorf remains an employee of PSB. The board of directors is composed mostly of members of the Laffitte family.

Both Laffitte and Westendorf have served as paid personal representatives for the plaintiffs in wrongful death cases tied to Murdaugh and Fleming.

Multiple sources have told FITSNews that Laffitte and Palmetto State Bank are connected to several more cases involving Murdaugh.

Can someone slowly explain to me why Westendorf still works at the bank? Call me a prude but I don’t think bankers being sued for stealing money from those they’re supposed to help should stay bankers.

I hope the entire PMPED goes down in flames. No way anyone can ever convince me that not one person knew something was wrong.

Though I will only relate what I have noticed regarding law firm organization and not try to convince you, I think it is entirely possible that the criminal misdeeds at PMPED are restricted to AM.

1-800 Sue'em All firms love to advertise that they employ large numbers of attorneys. But....a significant majority of the attorneys are usually part timers. Part timers do not work on site, do not sue for a living per se, and would have very little knowledge of, or interest in firm finances- so long as they got their personal share of the loot via check on time.

My guess is that they only people that could have noticed strange dealings regarding AM and checks would be a senior partner(s) or accountant. But.... even the senior partners may of had limited interest in firm finances so long as loot from their individual cases and shares of winnings "kick backed" to them by junior attorneys were paid on time.

As for an accountant- I think there is a good chance that AM was the accountant. If so, he might not of had alot of over sight so long as:
A. The lights in the office stayed on and the clerks were busy filing more law suits.
B. The attorneys whether part time or partners got their various shares of the loot on time.

Last edited:
Can someone slowly explain to me why Westendorf still works at the bank? Call me a prude but I don’t think bankers being sued for stealing money from those they’re supposed to help should stay bankers.

At the link there is a hand written letter/statement by CW, in it he is saying that AM asked him to be representative for GS settlement. CW states that he got the OK from RL.

Jmo. Appears that CW was/is covering his rear, odd that there is no date on hand written letter. He signed it and a witness signed it was well.

Jmo

@Cryptic

I wondered about AM being the accountant/Bookkeeper, iirc he has not practiced law since 2019 yet he was there for the most part,still had vehicles.

If so then it didn’t take him long to figure out how to swindle and his face was very recognizable at the bank/s making deposits, writing checks, withdrawals.

Jmo

I hope the entire PMPED goes down in flames. No way anyone can ever convince me that not one person knew something was wrong. I just hope all those party to criminal acts get punished, including family members wink wink.

MOO

It’s not uncommon for law firms to have one partner who handles financial decisions like compensation structures, partnership distributions, etc. I don’t think any associates there knew anything. They’re just there to do law and draw a check. It is sort of like Enron, the guy who made coffee and cleaned out the shredders every day didn’t know about the top level financial decisions going on.

The confusing part is that these partners usually work closely with the person who is moving the firm’s money for daily needs - someone like an office manager, off-site accountant, in-house bookkeeper - and it’s that person I’m curious about. Law firm financing doesn’t usually work in such a way that a lawyer working the case takes a cut of his own before the firm. If you belong to a firm, attorneys fees belong to the firm. Some firms may have compensation or bonuses for completed cases, but they pay you after you pay them. I feel like anybody who was handling their money should have noticed that Alex’s personal finances were getting too close to firm finances.

Last edited:
June 8, 2021: Authorities confirm the identities of the deceased, referring to the incident as a double homicide. However, they say there is no threat to the public.

Murdaugh: Timeline details South Carolina murder mysteries

June 25th 2021

S.C. LOWCOUNTRY — The two surviving immediate family members of a prominent S.C. Lowcountry family that suffered a double homicide on June 7 are offering a $100,000 reward in hopes of bringing justice to their family.

Murdaugh father, son offer $100K reward in double homicide case

What bothered me was AM & BM at the Governor’s Cup at Edisto beach July 24. Seven weeks after the murders like it didn’t happen.

Jmo

I am sure the 100K reward was only done as a communication device..... It even had a time limit. No reward if it wasn't in by .... I think.... the end of September... jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member