SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Murdaugh is too much of a coward to kill himself or he would have done it already, which is actually a good thing for us (society). Alive, he can be squeezed and squeezed until every screwed up party to every screwed up corrupt deal from every generation of his family comes to light.

It would be great if this caused a repeal of that messed up law in Chesterfield county that allows people from the other side of the country who have never set foot there to sue corporations that have no connection to the county beyond it being part of their market. That's the original sin right there that allowed this dynastic crap to happen in the first place, with great great great grandpa Murdaugh suing the railroads.

The Colleton County 911 call was made by Maggie Murdaugh around 9:24 a.m. During the 6:32 minute call, Murdaugh reports that Satterfield had fallen while climbing up a flight of eight brick steps and was bleeding from the top of her head. After a series of questions, 911 dispatchers were able to learn that Satterfield was on the ground at the bottom of the steps, mumbling, somewhat semi-conscious, but not really responding.

Satterfield died after allegedly falling at the Murdaugh home in 2018. She was then taken to a hospital in Savannah, Ga before being airlifted to a hospital in Summerville. Satterfield remained in the hospital for three weeks before she died from a subdural hematoma.

^^BBM

I think it's important to remember that Ms. Satterfield survived her fall at the residence, and her condition worsened following a heart attack and stroke while hospitalized (for three weeks before she died on Feb 24, 2018 from then a subdural hematoma).

In other words, I don't think there's evidence the decedent suffered all the injuries reported in the post-exhumation autopsy in June 2022, during her fall, (i.e., where the autopsy was conducted more than FIVE YEARS after the accidental fall).

However, under just the circumstances of what brought Ms. Satterfield to the hospital, there is no reason why her death should have ever been reported as due to natural causes, and why anybody on staff should not have questioned this report! I've not seen the death certificate but also would have expected the box indicating the decedent's death followed an accident checked. MOO

Since her death as a result of a stroke in the weeks after her February 2018 injury at Murdaugh's home, the accepted narrative on how Satterfield died has been she fell down the brick front stairs of the home after being tripped by Murdaugh's dogs.

According to Satterfield family attorney Eric Bland, it was Alex Murdaugh who shared that account of Satterfield's injuries, blaming his dogs for causing the fall. Neither Maggie nor Paul Murdaugh mentioned dogs causing the fall in a 911 call in the moment's after the incident.

However, SLED opened a new investigation into Satterfield's death after Hampton County Coroner Angie Topper brought worries about potential mishandling of the case to state police.

Topper in a letter to SLED Chief Mark Keel sent last September [2021] said Satterfield's death was not reported to her predecessor at the time it occurred, nor was an autopsy performed.

Additionally, Topper noted Satterfield's death certificate listed the manner of death as "natural," which Topper claims would be inconsistent with the traumatic head injuries Satterfield suffered and the ultimate cardiac arrest and stroke which followed while she remained hospitalized.

SLED investigators to exhume remains of late Murdaugh housekeeper, Gloria Satterfield 6/3/22

Good question. FitsNews is reporting MM arriving at Moselle between 7-7:30. If her vehicle was running when LE got there did she maybe stop and get gas before arriving? What kind of vehicle did she have, a real gas guzzler or something more economic. How long would those kinds of vehicles be able to idle on a full tank of gas?

LE knows from their phones when MM texted with her friend before arriving and when PM communicated with the dog owner while there.

It is weird that if LE got there and her car was running why FitsNews is reporting MM got there 2 hrs before the time of death coroner says.

Possibly she talking to someone on a built in car phone, like an Onstar thing, turned it on while making a call when Alex arrived?

There are so many questions about timeline to be revealed. I'm sure LE has all the particulars figured out.
It was reported PM ate supper with his uncle at 6 pm, then headed out to Moselle. Is it possible that AM killed them AFTER he and MM visited his father at the hospital?

I do not believe that AM's opioid addiction was hidden from those who knew him best like his wife, sons, parents and siblings.

Apparently or the way I read that PEOPLE article AM called MM and told her she needed to see his father because his dad was dying. She didn't dispute that she needed to see AM's dad, she just tried to control the place she would see AM, (she requested a public place). I am wondering if RM III, AM's dad made a specific request to talk to MM before he died?

I wonder if RM III, the dad, requested her, along with AM's presence at what amounted to his deathbed to tell her conditions of his will had been changed and that she was to be given power of attorney over any inheritance he left to AM. In other words RM III knew of AM's addiction and put her in charge of any money and other inheritance he was left to prevent him from squandering it on drugs. He would have wanted to tell her that in front of AM to make sure AM knew he was not getting access to any money unless MM approved of it.

Remember she requested a financial audit of their finances and assets. Dad RM III would not have been allowed to remain ignorant of that fact since it was reported early on that MM alone owned Moselle and a share of PMPED. He may have made a deal with her to give her complete control of AM's inheritance in exchange for not pursuing the audit. I truly think most of the money in the marriage belonged to MM, given to her by her parents or inherited from GP's or other relatives. She basically owned everything they had. The deed to Moselle was changed into her name only in 2015 and I believe she bought out AM's share in the property at that time. I think she also bought out AM's share in PMPED at that time or earlier, as AM needed money for his addiction or whatever he was doing with the money. When she refused to give him more of her money he turned to bilking clients and insurance companies. She must have been absolutely shocked at that bounced check.

In fact I think her asking for that audit is what triggered PMPED to start looking into any money dealings AM had over the years. RM III would not have been ignorant of that fact either as he still had another son RM IV working in the law firm. I believe he would have most certainly have asked his DIL MM why she was demanding such an audit. I think she told him about the bounced check and maybe the RUMORED affair but most certainly she would have told him she planned to get a divorce and wanted to know what was left of her (their) money and assets.

I think at that time and at the urging of AM's siblings and perhaps AM's son's, RM III moved to protect the interests of BM and PM by changing his will and putting MM in charge of any money or assets AM, BM and PM got from his estate.

It all makes sense given what we know about AM's dirty dealings that his first financial victim would have been his wife and her money.

If this is indeed what transpired in that last visit MM had with her dying FIL it would have infuriated AM to no end.

I think he lured her back out to Moselle under the guise of talking about it and planned to kill her, not knowing PM was still at Moselle. Or she returned to pick up PM. It also gives truth to his statement he had been to visit his dad at the hospital which was easily to check.

This is all PURE SPECULATION on my part and my opinion based on what I know of estate planning and the facts made public about this case.

JMO

Last edited:
^^BBM

I think it's important to remember that Ms. Satterfield survived her fall at the residence, and her condition worsened following a heart attack and stroke while hospitalized (for three weeks before she died on Feb 24, 2018 from then a subdural hematoma).

In other words, I don't think there's evidence the decedent suffered all the injuries reported in the post-exhumation autopsy in June 2022, during her fall, (i.e., where the autopsy was conducted more than FIVE YEARS after the accidental fall).

However, under just the circumstances of what brought Ms. Satterfield to the hospital, there is no reason why her death should have ever been reported as due to natural causes, and why anybody on staff should not have questioned this report! I've not seen the death certificate but also would have expected the box indicating the decedent's death followed an accident checked. MOO

Since her death as a result of a stroke in the weeks after her February 2018 injury at Murdaugh's home, the accepted narrative on how Satterfield died has been she fell down the brick front stairs of the home after being tripped by Murdaugh's dogs.

According to Satterfield family attorney Eric Bland, it was Alex Murdaugh who shared that account of Satterfield's injuries, blaming his dogs for causing the fall. Neither Maggie nor Paul Murdaugh mentioned dogs causing the fall in a 911 call in the moment's after the incident.

However, SLED opened a new investigation into Satterfield's death after Hampton County Coroner Angie Topper brought worries about potential mishandling of the case to state police.

Topper in a letter to SLED Chief Mark Keel sent last September [2021] said Satterfield's death was not reported to her predecessor at the time it occurred, nor was an autopsy performed.

Additionally, Topper noted Satterfield's death certificate listed the manner of death as "natural," which Topper claims would be inconsistent with the traumatic head injuries Satterfield suffered and the ultimate cardiac arrest and stroke which followed while she remained hospitalized.

SLED investigators to exhume remains of late Murdaugh housekeeper, Gloria Satterfield 6/3/22

It’s out there, can’t link.

Jmo

I believe AM was very well versed in his insurance policies and how to maximize the benefits-- especially to avoid the claim falling under worker's compensation.

New info on Murdaugh housekeeper's death detailed in freshly filed insurance lawsuit 5/12/22

The new details are listed below:​

• Murdaugh allegedly pushed Nautilus to settle the claim, threatening to sue for bad faith against Nautilus if it refused to pay policy limits.
  • Murdaugh was abusive toward the Nautilus adjuster handling the claim and demanded Nautilus pay its full policy limits, threatening that if the case against him were filed and went to trial, he would admit liability before a jury — which would expose the insurance company to a high verdict against it.
  • Fleming received $600,000 in fees for handling the case and disbursing the money paid by Nautilus into a bank account created and controlled by Murdaugh in the name of “Forge.”
  • Immediately after Satterfield’s fall on Feb. 2, 2018, Murdaugh “rushed to the scene,” got there before the EMS and began telling everyone that Satterfield had briefly regained consciousness, “during which time she stated that Murdaugh’s dogs had caused her to fall. This statement was heard by no one else and is contradicted by Ms. Satterfield’s later statement to hospital staff that she had no idea what made her fall,” the lawsuit said.
  • After Satterfield died, Murdaugh began to claim that Satterfield was at his property that day, not to perform work for Murdaugh and his family, but to collect a check for work performed for someone else, thus avoiding a worker’s compensation defense.” That apparently would have resulted in cutting Murdaugh and his associates out of the loop in any future compensation payments.
  • Murdaugh also began to tell “multiple third parties in Hampton County that he was liable for Gloria Satterfield’s fall and ultimate death, an admission against interest that all but ensured that there could be no challenge to (Murdaugh’s) liability, and securing his ability to force Nautilus to contribute settlement funds that Murdaugh and the co-conspirators stole,” the lawsuit said.
  • During the whole affair, Murdaugh and Fleming were “effectively co-counsel and ... unbeknownst to Nautilus, Murdaugh was not a bona fide insured seeking coverage, but rather was coordinating the handling of the claim with Fleming—including sending correspondence related to the case on Murdaugh’s firm’s letterhead and preparing and delivering disbursement sheets...,” the lawsuit said. The lawsuit also alleged that Murdaugh, Fleming and Westendorf made “no effort” to alert the Satterfield heirs of the insurance money they received. Eric Bland, a Columbia attorney who represents the Satterfild Both Murdaugh’s and Fleming’s law licenses have been suspended. Neither Westendorf nor Tommy Lydon, a lawyer representing him, could be reached Wednesday afternoon for comment.

That’s strange for Bland to make the statement about AM not having anything to do with Gloria’s case. No good reason for him to opine on it and whether it was directly or indirectly it doesn’t matter. We know AM is definitely involved with the family’s settlement so why would Bland give him the benefit of the doubt on anything else?

I don't think it strange for Bland to opine-- he's an attorney. I also believe Bland had the privilege of viewing the evidence since 2018 where it doesn't follow the victim would survive nearly a month following the fall if AM intended the housekeeper killed.

I agree with Bland and think it was within AM's character to use the longtime housekeeper's death to profit. I believe this accident was most likely a worker's compensation claim but clearly, AM seemed to have insurance fraud down pact. MOO

“The law enforcement source tells PEOPLE that Maggie initially declined to meet Alex at the family home, suggesting instead that they meet at the hospital. Ultimately, she consented to meet at the property, planning to follow Alex to the hospital in her own vehicle.

On her way to the house, Maggie allegedly messaged a friend, saying that something about her husband's behavior felt "fishy," the law enforcement source says. "He's up to something," Maggie allegedly wrote to her friend.

When Maggie arrived at the scene, she left her car running and walked to the dog kennels on the estate where her son, Paul, was taking photos of a dog he was watching for a friend.”

I just noticed the word “cabin” not house. If so that would be the small house by the kennels. If true it would make more sense. Could be why she thought it was fishy.

Jmo

Thank you Raisin for finding and posting this. I left the thread for a good while because I was so frustrated with the pace and not addressing the murders.
You are welcome. So many people on WS were kind enough to help me out during my illness by finding and posting links that I was too tired to look up. It's a pleasure to pay that kindness forward.

Raize

Should we trust the coroner?
I don’t.
No disrespect to this Coroner, but I believe the coroner basically used info from AM. A closer look by another examiner may have found something different. At that point in time, I believe almost everyone involved in the death scene was taking Alex’s word as truth.

Here are phrases from the article that indicate the Murdaugh influence or power in the area.

A mother and son from one of South Carolina’s prominent legal families were shot multiple times before they died, a county coroner said Monday.
The Murdaughs are one of South Carolina’s most prominent legal families.
@Ann99 I am not sure on that since Fitznews said their source at SLED told them 2 days after the murders that AM was SLED's primary suspect and actually gave them permission to print that but Fitznews decided to call him a POI instead. Probably out of an abundance of caution keeping in mind AM was very litigious.

JMO

It’s out there, can’t link.

Jmo
Thanks, @Elley Mae.

I believe my question is answered below-- the death was not reported to be a death following an accident as the former coroner consulted opined, and also as I expected.

For example, when my elderly relative fell getting out of bed, was hospitalized with a fractured rib, and later died at hospital from respiratory failure due to pneumonia, the cause of death was listed as resulting from an accident. Generally, if a patient is admitted following an accidental fall, and patient is never discharged from the facility before death, this is protocol.

While the medical examiner explained to us he didn't believe an autopsy was necessary, we were given the choice, and because the death followed an accident, and even though the procedure was not being ordered by the medical examiner, we would not be charged for the autopsy if one requested.

9/16/21

[..]

WTOC first reached out to former Hampton County coroner, Ernie Washington, Sr, plus the current county coroner, Angela Topper - both declined to speak to us. WTOC then talked to the Executive Director of the South Carolina Coroner’s Association, Gary Watts.

Gary Watts says the coroner and solicitor can order an autopsy regardless of the family’s wishes. If the coroner feels an autopsy isn’t necessary, then they don’t have to fill the family’s request for an autopsy.

“We would tell the family we didn’t have to do the autopsy. We would tell the family if they wanted to get one done, we’d give them several alternatives of who can do it for them but it’s something they would have to pay,” Watts said.

Gary Watts says coroners handle suspicious deaths, deaths outside a medical facility, deaths that occur in a medical facility within 24 hours of admission, or deaths in a medical facility if the person was admitted due to suspicious or unnatural causes.

That lines up with what WTOC found on Hampton County’s website, which specifically says the coroner is supposed to investigate by law if a death is accidental.

Watts says typically a death like Satterfield’s, a trip and fall, would be accidental.

“You’d have to document the injuries. I would say in a case like that you’d want to do an autopsy to see what the actual cause of death,” he said.

WTOC received a copy of Gloria Satterfield’s death certificate. The cause of death was acute subdural hemorrhage and an ischemic stroke, the manner of death was listed as natural.

When a death is listed as natural, Watts says a coroner doesn’t have to be notified and an autopsy isn’t legally required.

Again, the current Hampton County Coroner, Angela Topper, sent a letter to SLED saying the coroners’ office wasn’t notified about Satterfield’s death, nor was an autopsy done back in 2018 when Ernie Washington was the coroner. WTOC also found out Thursday that the current Hampton County Coroner was the deputy coroner at the time of Satterfield’s death.

[..]

It all seems plausible. For some reason I thought AM had on a white shirt. But that could be my mind playing tricks because of the bloody mist that was found on his shirt. IIRC he needed to be like within 3 feet of her with the AR 15. My opinion.
I am not sure what color shirt he had on. I don't think there were any photos of AM that night that were released to the public. I could be wrong though, someone correct me if I am please.

He might not have noticed the blood spatter if he had on a dark shirt and that is why he didn't have a ready explanation for it like he did the smears of blood on him (remember the 911 operator telling him not to touch the bodies and him telling her he had already touched the bodies?)

JMO

^^BBM

It is important to note that no sounds of dogs barking can be heard on the 911 tape. At least I didn't hear any. The line was still open when the EMTS arrived. You would think if the dogs were close to the steps they would have barked at a strange vehicle coming up the drive.

JMO

v
It is important to note that no sounds of dogs barking can be heard on the 911 tape. At least I didn't hear any. The line was still open when the EMTS arrived. You would think if the dogs were close to the steps they would have barked at a strange vehicle coming up the drive.

JMO
ITA & a very good point!

IIRC Maggie’s parents were not wealthy. Her Father was an engineer…they moved as his job required. The oldest daughter married well. The youngest daughter thought she did.
He may have been an engineer but he was also a retired executive of DuPont. It was stated he received other job offers including from Ford but took the one at Dupont with his father's blessing even though his father was a Ford man.

After almost 50 years of looking at people's income through W-2's, stocks and investments and doing estate planning I can tell you companies like DuPont pay their key employees very well, in addition to offering them stock options and bonuses based on profit sharing. For instance many companies during the deep recession in the late 70's and early 80's gave employees stock in lieu of wages. (In fact I know of one person who took half their wages in company stock during that time which were worth absolutely nothing and later received over 7 million in a company buyback of the company's stock.) For instance 10,000.00 of Walmart stock options given to an employee 30 years ago would be worth billions now.

And their retirement bonuses are insane, in the many millions.

Plus we have no idea of the wealth of MM's mother's side of the family or of MM's GP's.

It's possible her parents were very well off.

JMO

I wonder if Bland (and others) know that PM had something to do with the fall. There must have been something fishy noted immediately so it was not reported and no autopsy done. MOO MOO MOO
I think that if Bland even hints the dogs were not responsible then there is no viable claim of the homeowner being at fault for having unruly dogs. In that case the insurance companies that paid off would demand to be paid back on the claims and there goes his clients money and his fee.

If AM did it then it becomes a wrongful death in which case his clients would have to sue AM directly since no insurance company will cover that (evidenced by MB's mother trying to collect from AM's insurance and the claim being refused and thrown out in court. That is why she went after his personal wealth.)

So Bland has no choice but to defend AM as innocent in any part of it and keep blaming the unruly dogs belonging to the insured homeowner which as everyone knows the insured homeowner is responsible for.

In other words if he doesn't accept AM's account he would have to pay back the insurance companies and go after AM's personal wealth and good luck with that since MB's mom has it all tied up.

JMO

AM is going to have a long life in prison.

I hear of prisoners who get law degrees while incarcerated.

AM already got (and lost) a degree but maybe he can sign up for some Ethics courses. He seems to have missed them on the first go-round.

What an absolute fraud of a human being.

JMO

JMO
I have no idea where the dogs were or if they caused GAS to fall.

As reported from links in my prior posts, MM and PM were talking to 911 dispatch from inside the house. And even though the dispatcher requested MM go outside to where the victim was located on the ground, she did not do so.

When PM took over the phone call to 911 from MM, he explained the distance from the road entrance to the house, and in the 6:32 minute 911 call I listen to, the call was terminated before EMT ever approached.

Seemed to me not during or after the call was a siren event audible. Neither MM nor PM ever mentioned they could hear the ambulance.

(Dispatcher also requested they call her back if they learned more info from the victim such as previous stroke, etc.). MOO

ETA: add link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members