SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Murdaugh Saga: Greg Parker Has Another New Lawyer

According to multiple attorneys familiar with the case, Parker’s latest new lawyer hire is yet another move ripped straight from the good ol’ boy playbook – another case study in status quo chicanery.

Who is it? Henry D. McMaster Jr. (a.k.a. “Henry Dee”).

If that name sounds familiar, it should. Henry Dee is none other than the one and only son of South Carolina governor Henry McMaster.
Parker is digging his heels in and creating a Defense "Dream Team". He has plenty of money to settle the Beach civil suit, but refuses.

Curious, what do you all think, is Parkers liable for selling PM the beer when in fact he did have a valid license and BM and him do look alike, especially in a head shot from the DMV?

AUG 17, 2022

Statement from Attorney General Alan Wilson on allegation of leaked information in Murdaugh case​

(COLUMBIA, S.C.) – Contrary to what Mr. Harpootlian said at his news conference, it is categorically false that the Attorney General’s Office leaked any information in the Murdaugh murder case. We’ve been in communication with SLED and they deny that they told anyone that our office leaked anything.
As we said in our Response in Opposition to the Motion to Compel, this is, “…a not unexpected but completely blatant attempt to create drama where formerly there was none.”

Statement from Attorney General Alan Wilson on allegation of leaked information in Murdaugh case - South Carolina Attorney General

It doesn’t sound like he has a handle on what a leak is if he has to answer with “we asked and they deny”.

Parker is digging his heels in and creating a Defense "Dream Team". He has plenty of money to settle the Beach civil suit, but refuses.

Curious, what do you all think, is Parkers liable for selling PM the beer when in fact he did have a valid license and BM and him do look alike, especially in a head shot from the DMV?

A witness remembered seeing Paul Murdaugh purchasing alcohol at Parker’s (as corroborated by video tape). He remembered that Murdaugh looked “too young to be drinking.” He said the cashier appeared to have glanced at his license, but didn’t take the time to check the psychical characteristics or question him. He said he remembered (him) saying something like “Y’all be careful tonight.”

The cashier who sold the alcohol Paul Murdaugh “knew of his family” and them “having a law firm.”

Another boat passenger used a fake ID she got from “ID God” online to purchase alcohol at Parker’s that day.

The Parker’s cashier who sold alcohol to Paul Murdaugh did not appear to be familiar with policies related to alcohol sales.

Just me but I think it was her knowing of the M family law firm.

Jmo

Parkers unlawfully sold alcohol to minors, and those minors drank, and someone ended up dead. There is plenty of culpability to go around, but that doesn't negate Parkers' contribution to the death, IMHO. Parkers has spent a lot of effort and money to make the story seem more complicated than that.

Yes, did read every word of WSJ. We subscribe. Very interesting.

Also suggest last Saturday’s (Aug. 13) FitsNews’ week in review podcast — a lot of details on new developments. I had to re-listen several times to absorb it all.

I also had to listen to it quite a few times to comprehend everything cuz there was just a lot of stuff

An affidavit written by Ashton Taylor details the known issues at the Parker’s store. “Parkers was known among underage kids to be an alcohol retail establishment that does not properly check or even look at the identification fo the person purchasing it.”

It continues to say that the store manager had warned this cashier about using a cell phone while working. But it claims the surveillance video shows her looking at her phone, apparently checking social media during the transaction with Paul Murdaugh.

It’s on Parkers.

I think everybody around those parts knew who the Murdaughs were or knew someone that dealt with them or know from having dealt with them on a legal basis.

It’s a small town where everybody knows everybody but not everyone knows what goes on at home.

The cashier that nite is probably not the only one that sold minors, (friends, associates, or ppl could help them in the future). I don’t think anyone round them parts wanted to cross the Murdaughs.

Jmo

I still wonder if Maggie was aware of what was going on with the Beach lawsuit.

Also if she did ask for a forensic audit and if she received info on that, and did Alex find out.

Jmo
I wish we could get a definitive answer as to whether or not she was/had filed for divorce. In SC you must be legally separated for a year, I think that is exactly why she was staying at the Edisto Beach home.

I believe she knew some of AM's schemes, but I honestly don't think she knew the details until the money literally started to dry up. How much she did or din't know about G.Satterfield bothers me a lot.

MOO

Murdaugh Murders: Dick Harpootlian Says South Carolina Prosecutors ‘Selectively Leaked Information About Evidence’

As of this writing, Harpootlian has not made a formal request of Newman to toss any evidence – but he is clearly moving in that direction based on his latest motion (.pdf) in the case. That motion was filed on Monday in opposition to the state’s request for a protective order “restricting (Murdaugh) and his counsel’s use of evidence and other material.”

Generally, protective orders such as the one proposed by the state are utilized to prevent witness tampering and witness intimidation. In this case, however, prosecutors do not want the defense to selectively leak information prior to Murdaugh’s trial – which is tentatively scheduled for January 2023.

That argument is hypocritical, according to Harpootlian, because he says it is the state which has been the source of the leaks.

“For months on end, the state’s prosecutors have selectively leaked information about evidence obtained through sealed search warrants to various media outlets,” Harpootlian wrote. “There have been stories written in the media about an audio recording obtained from Paul Murdaugh’s cell phone that allegedly places Alex Murdaugh at the scene of the murders.”

‘Murdaugh Murders’ Civil Saga: Mallory Beach’s Family Opposes Bid To ‘Sever’ Defendants

Who leaked what sealed documents – and to whom – has become a central narrative in the civil suit (much as it has on the criminal side of the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ saga, incidentally).

Earlier this month, attorneys for the various parties in the civil case met before S.C. circuit court judge Daniel Hall in Spartanburg, S.C. At that hearing, there was little discussion of leaks – but plenty of debate over whether the defendants in the boat crash case should be “severed.” Severing – or bifurcating parties to the case – would allow separate trials to proceed against each individual defendant.

Murdaugh’s attorneys – Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin – argued their client would be unfairly prejudiced in his murder trial if the boat crash were allowed to proceed concurrently. According to Harpootlian, if Murdaugh were to invoke his Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate himself in the boat crash case, it could be taken as an admission of guilt.

Similarly, waiving the Fifth in the boat crash case could compromise his murder defense.

“If he waives the Fifth, he opens himself to all sorts of questioning,” Harpootlian said.

In fact, Harpootlian accused state criminal prosecutors of using the boat crash civil suit as a “stalking horse” – or false pretext – to bolster their murder case against Murdaugh.

This week, Beach family attorney Mark Tinsley told me the notion of severing parties was off the table, as far as he is concerned.

According to Tinsley, the bid to split the case is an effort by Parker’s attorneys to “point their fingers at the Murdaughs without having the Murdaughs there – and drag the Beach family through two wrongful death lawsuits.”

“I will oppose anything that prolongs this entire ordeal for the Beach family,” Tinsley told me. “We’re not interested in trying two wrongful death cases and having the family relive and recount the depths of their loss twice.”

<snipped>

Nonetheless, according to Harpootlian, “defense counsel first learned that agents obtained information from a search of Paul’s phone through news articles.”

That’s a reference to this report published by our news outlet back in June.

Was the report accurate?

Yes. According to the veteran attorney, however, it lacked important context – which he speculated was a deliberate omission on the part of the state intended to prejudice Murdaugh in the court of public opinion. In addition to the video being leaked in violation of the judge’s order, Harpootlian further claimed it was played for Murdaugh’s family members by investigators “at the direction of the attorney general’s office … without obtaining an order authorizing the disclosure of this information to potential witnesses or third parties.”

“Defense counsel has confirmed the existence of a video and audio recording from Paul’s phone that were first reported by the media,” Harpootlian wrote in his motion. “On the recording, Paul is taking a video of his friend’s dog, who Paul was concerned about. Apparently a conversation between Maggie, Paul and Alex is also captured on this recording. Family members report Maggie, Paul and Alex (were) having a convivial conversation about the behavior of their own dog, Bubba.”

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/08/22...IpvWSWTx3yys626zIvXjKnsGcEJIfQs1nQHBW1qpZpgDU

<snipped>

Nonetheless, according to Harpootlian, “defense counsel first learned that agents obtained information from a search of Paul’s phone through news articles.”

That’s a reference to this report published by our news outlet back in June.

Was the report accurate?

Yes. According to the veteran attorney, however, it lacked important context – which he speculated was a deliberate omission on the part of the state intended to prejudice Murdaugh in the court of public opinion. In addition to the video being leaked in violation of the judge’s order, Harpootlian further claimed it was played for Murdaugh’s family members by investigators “at the direction of the attorney general’s office … without obtaining an order authorizing the disclosure of this information to potential witnesses or third parties.”

“Defense counsel has confirmed the existence of a video and audio recording from Paul’s phone that were first reported by the media,” Harpootlian wrote in his motion. “On the recording, Paul is taking a video of his friend’s dog, who Paul was concerned about. Apparently a conversation between Maggie, Paul and Alex is also captured on this recording. Family members report Maggie, Paul and Alex (were) having a convivial conversation about the behavior of their own dog, Bubba.”

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/08/22...IpvWSWTx3yys626zIvXjKnsGcEJIfQs1nQHBW1qpZpgDU

I don’t see how this ‘convivial’ conversation helps AM much. It means he was there just before or as they were killed…and he deliberately lied to the authorities. If he did not kill them himself, he withheld crucial information.

it also means he hung around the crime scene for about 30 minutes and did not ‘call for help in that period of time. He had no fear of remaining on the scene of these brutal murders.

Sorry..IMO, just ‘doesn‘t advance the ‘innocent’ theory.

Murdaugh Saga: Court-Appointed Receivers Submit Settlement With Palmetto State Bank

The court-appointed receivers in the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ crime and corruption saga have submitted a proposed settlement agreement with Palmetto State Bank (PSB) of Hampton, South Carolina – the financial institution whose top executives are neck deep in accused killer Alex Murdaugh’s maze of alleged financial criminality.

Filed earlier this week, the proposed agreement (.pdf) would reduce the bank’s secured claims against real property owned by Murdaugh by approximately $1.2 million – enabling the receivers “to proceed quickly with the liquidation” of this property.

The money from these sales would in turn accrue “to the benefit of Alex Murdaugh’s victims and creditors,” according to the receivers’ motion.

Importantly, the agreement with PSB does not “satisfy or extinguish Alex Murdaugh’s obligations” to the institution with the bank retaining “all rights and claims” to the debt he still owes.

I'm sorry, is this a mashup of opinion articles on the case? Can't make heads or tails of the sources or the main points. My apologies. Can someone help me out? (What was the slobbering in the mirror source? I'll start with that one.) TIA
The writer of this article (Liz Farrell) is including her witty and funny snippets in there and it's not working or funny. IMO

Liz Farrell is the new executive editor at FITSNews. She was named 2018’s top columnist in the state by South Carolina Press Association and is back after taking a nearly two-year break from corporate journalism to reclaim her soul. Email her at liz@fitsnews.com or tweet her @ElizFarrell.(

Palmetto State Bank and its former chief executive Russell Laffitte, are facing a new lawsuit alleging they enabled the looting of trust accounts owed to a pair of sisters who lost their mother and brother in an auto accident.

The Aug. 24 lawsuit mirrors criminal charges filed against Laffitte in recent months by state and federal prosecutors. The sisters, Alaynia Spohn and Hannah Plyler, allege Laffitte and their former attorney, since-disbarred lawyer Alex Murdaugh, issued themselves massive personal loans at favorable interest rates from their $6 million settlement account.

The men later stole from their other clients’ accounts to pay back those loans, according to indictments.

I don't really think it's that big of a deal, Harpo is just trying to cause a stir. Can't wait for the hearing tho. :)

(snipped)

South Carolina senator Dick Harpootlian’s ongoing bid to reclaim the initiative in the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ crime and corruption saga escalated dramatically on Thursday afternoon.

According to a motion filed in the S.C. fourteenth judicial circuit, Harpootlian has issued subpoenas for multiple agents of the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) – the agency leading the investigation into the maze of alleged criminality leading back to his client, disbarred attorney Alex Murdaugh.

Specifically, SLED is the lead agency on the double homicide investigation into the June 7, 2021 murders of 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh (Alex’s wife) and 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh (his younger son).

The subpoenas compel SLED agents Ryan Kelly, Charles Ghent, David Owen and Ryan Neill to appear at a hearing scheduled for this coming Monday (August 29, 2022) in Walterboro, S.C.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/08/25...pO7fXInNPJmhPJwjS-DRQZlO0prGPdBvtpcyP7lCqHiDQ

Last edited:
I don't really think it's that big of a deal, Harpo is just trying to cause a stir. Can't wait for the hearing tho. :)

(snipped)

South Carolina senator Dick Harpootlian’s ongoing bid to reclaim the initiative in the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ crime and corruption saga escalated dramatically on Thursday afternoon.

According to a motion filed in the S.C. fourteenth judicial circuit, Harpootlian has issued subpoenas for multiple agents of the S.C. State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) – the agency leading the investigation into the maze of alleged criminality leading back to his client, disbarred attorney Alex Murdaugh.

Specifically, SLED is the lead agency on the double homicide investigation into the June 7, 2021 murders of 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh (Alex’s wife) and 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh (his younger son).

The subpoenas compel SLED agents Ryan Kelly, Charles Ghent, David Owen and Ryan Neill to appear at a hearing scheduled for this coming Monday (August 29, 2022) in Walterboro, S.C.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/08/25...pO7fXInNPJmhPJwjS-DRQZlO0prGPdBvtpcyP7lCqHiDQ
Oh me neither; this is exactly what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mzrowdy