SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Murdaugh hearing: Judge rules evidence must be shared, but protected

During the Monday hearing in Colleton County General Sessions Court, Judge Newman ruled that all evidence against Murdaugh must be disclosed by the prosecution with the defense, yet he also ruled issued a temporary order restricting the defense from releasing or sharing any of that information. Murdaugh was indicted on double murder and weapons charges on July 14 in the June 2021 shooting deaths of his wife, Maggie, and son, Paul.

In what is perceived as a win for the South Carolina Attorney General's Office, both parties came out swinging in this legal battle, with raised voices and emotional outbursts of interruption from the onset.

Off topic

In Oklahoma visiting my granddaughter, had to check in.

The “ummmm?” Moments from this hearing is that the defense did in fact get a ruling on evidence that the state held. Not only held, but the prosecutor seems desperate to keep it covered up. They still want the order signed before turning it over which seems really petty for professionals. Another well made point is that the time for secret investigations is over and the dude is charged. The fact that the state mentioned how “unique” this case is say something too. This crime is so unique why? Because of the bank accounts and political connections of those involved? It will be very interesting to find out what differs this criminal from the other lowcountry criminals or these murders from the many other murders in SC.

The “ummmm?” Moments from this hearing is that the defense did in fact get a ruling on evidence that the state held. Not only held, but the prosecutor seems desperate to keep it covered up. They still want the order signed before turning it over which seems really petty for professionals. Another well made point is that the time for secret investigations is over and the dude is charged. The fact that the state mentioned how “unique” this case is say something too. This crime is so unique why? Because of the bank accounts and political connections of those involved? It will be very interesting to find out what differs this criminal from the other lowcountry criminals or these murders from the many other murders in SC.
What got my attention and made sense is that the prosecutor was trying to make a point that some info from the investigation will not be used in the case so that need not be given to the defense especially info on individuals. I can appreciate that. I do not rust the defense to not try to distract, intimidate, or stir the pot using any info they get to muddy the waters and confuse any potential jurors.
Did I dream this or was there not a big stink about Dick and Jim calling in SLED and something about Paul's phone at today's hearing????

Oh you've got to love Judge Newman. :)

At 42:40 mark is his ruling to Compel the State to comply with discovery forthwith and that he is providing a temporary protective order restricting the Defense from disseminating any information provided until the Court has issued a more formal and permanent order. Any issue of the Court may be modified.

This does not restrict parties from disclosing any information independently discovered, nor information already in public domain."This is a case that cries out for a protective order regarding sensitive information."

Request from Defense for unsealed all search warrants from State. State confirms once protective order is received they have no issue with supplying them. Defense wants to provide AM with a laptop to review the documents. Judge Murphy can security concerns with sensitive information being allowed into the jail.

Harpootlian, the State and Judge Newman. to rule on how AM will be able to review the information going forward.

My translation of the hearing. MOO

Last edited:
Honestly I think many people have come forward, after AM's bail reduction was denied and more misdeeds by high up bankers etc were revealed, who were afraid to before. I also think some of those things may actually cross reference into the murder case. Especially since it's been mentioned MM stared a forensic marital accounting and was possible seeing a divorce attorney. It would be wrapped up in the motive, which is not necessary to convict AM on murder charges but that the jury often wants to see put forth so they may weigh it in their deliberations. AJMO

What got my attention and made sense is that the prosecutor was trying to make a point that some info from the investigation will not be used in the case so that need not be given to the defense especially info on individuals. I can appreciate that. I do not rust the defense to not try to distract, intimidate, or stir the pot using any info they get to muddy the waters and confuse any potential jurors.
Did I dream this or was there not a big stink about Dick and Jim calling in SLED and something about Paul's phone at today's hearing????
There was mention of SLED agents being subpoenaed and Judge Newman denied it. IIRC

Last edited:
I missed the Paul's phone if it was mentioned. Harpy was very hot about SLED seemingly involved too much in the murder case, prosecution wise. It's all such a jumbled mess of crimes.

Oh you've got to love Judge Murphy. :)

At 42:40 mark is his ruling to Compel the State to comply with discovery forthwith and that he is providing a temporary protective order restricting the Defense from disseminating any information provided until the Court has issued a more formal and permanent order. Any issue of the Court may be modified.

This does not restrict parties from disclosing any information independently discovered, nor information already in public domain."This is a case that cries out for a protective order regarding sensitive information."

Request from Defense for unsealed all search warrants from State. State confirms once protective order is received they have no issue with supplying them. Defense wants to provide AM with a laptop to review the documents. Judge Murphy can security concerns with sensitive information being allowed into the jail.

Harpootlian, the State and Judge Murphy. to rule on how AM will be able to review the information going forward.

My translation of the hearing. MOO
Mine too, though I wasn't sure about them both being ok with releasing the affidavits/warrants. Thanks!

Can you believe that Dick had the 'nerve' to suggest AM needs to have a laptop so he can access his discovery while sitting in jail?? They can't spend all day with him there you know (even though they were the ones requesting a speedy trial). Ummmmmmmmm NO, I think not Dick. He then suggested accessing the AG's office, or AM could be transported with security to his offices. Again, ummm, no Dick, I think AM is a big ole' flight risk for sure.

MOO

<snipped>

A South Carolina judge sided with prosecutors who asked him to put strict controls on how Alex Murdaugh's defense can review evidence before the disgraced lawyer's murder trial in the deaths of his wife and son.

Monday's contentious hearing started with one of Murdaugh's lawyers interrupting Deputy Attorney General Creighton Waters less than 30 seconds after he started speaking saying prosecutors were “trying to hijack this proceeding."

In the end, Circuit Judge Clifton Newman sided with prosecutors and their desire for the rules to make sure evidence isn't released until Murdaugh's January trial for the June 2021 shootings of his wife and son.

Judge limits how Alex Murdaugh reviews evidence before trial

<snipped & BBM>

The evidence includes autopsy and crime scene photos, phone records, GPS data, witness statements and thousands other other pages that an unscrupulous media outlet might pay $1 million or more to get, Waters said.

“This case is unique and it is unprecedented in South Carolina history in as much as it combines violent crime with alleged corruption of someone with a law license on a scale that is somewhat inconceivable,” Waters said.

The prosecution must give all investigative materials to the defense. It's the law.

<snipped>

“The four SLED agents, dressed in coats and ties, sat silently in a front row courtroom seat for the entire hearing.”

That’s how reporter John Monk of The State Media Co. described the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division agents who were inside a Colleton County courtroom Monday.

Lawyers Dick Harpootlian and Jim Griffin, the defense team for Alex Murdaugh on two murder charges, wanted the agents to be sitting on the witness stand and testifying about evidence being leaked to reporters.

Judge Clifton Newman denied the request to have the agents put on the witness stand.

Maybe not on purpose, but decision by Murdaugh case judge helps keep the stories coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth