SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great video.

I few points from my opinion:
- they all knew each other as friends.
- people do things for friends, believing (or not) that they are good people. It is difficult to call someone out who is close.
- you will give your friends the benefit of the doubt
- we will not know if they were each paying each other off

And, of course, Lafitte is trying to save his career.

Last edited:
Actually, AM supposedly left the scene at 9:06 pm and returned an hour later 10:06 pm and then called 911. So he had basically 24 minutes to do the deed, clean up or change clothes and head out to see his Dad.
Oh, right! I’m off on his leaving Moselle and the TOD window closing. Thanks for catching that. (I’ve got vacation brain. LOL)

Last edited:
Great video.

- people do things for friends, believing (or not) that they are good people. It is difficult to call someone out who is close.

If you don't mind my adding: IMO, that video interview was not arms-length and should be considered with that in mind.

The interviewer revealed that she is distantly related to Lafitte (common great-great grandparents or the like, and she has seen and talked to him at large family reunions). She also represents at the beginning that she is a former-reporter turned private journalist, so is acting on her own with this interview. IMO, her questioning is generally supportive and non-challenging, even to the point of describing how Lafitte's behavior in certain circumstances was common business practice among professionals (rather than leaving him to describe it that way).

So, it's a bit like Lafitte simply recording himself saying all that was said in the interview, with the interviewer perhaps adding a bit of professional polish that was generally helpful (toward him).

ETA: For example, an objective journalist would not have allowed Lafitte to get away with so easily explaining away the loans Lafitte extended to AM out of the Plyler girls' accounts. (He explained this practice by saying they earned more on those funds than they'd earn had the funds been left sitting in the account and the interviewer did not challenge him on that claim.).

However, as a fiduciary, his role is to protect those funds and responsibly invest and administer them. So, even though the 1.5% in interest charged on those loans was more than the 0.25%, 0.5% or 0.75% that Lafitte said they'd earn sitting in accounts, that 1.5% was likely far less than an arms-length transaction would be for such a loan. AM was paying "below market" as that rate was not reflective of risk and that is taking advantage. Lafitte was violating his fiduciary responsibilities in making those funds available for AM's use.

The interviewer asked whether he took loans from both girls' accounts and he said he only did from HP's and not from the other sister (AP). The interviewer doesn't ask why or explain to those viewing the video that HP was the younger of the two sisters. It seems reasonable to me to assume that the younger sister's account was thus pillaged because Lafitte and AM would have more time before she turned 18 to replenish the accounts and more time before HP would become wise enough to question the administration of them. A responsible journalist would have asked such questions.

Last edited:
If you don't mind my adding: IMO, that video interview was not arms-length and should be considered with that in mind.

The interviewer revealed that she is distantly related to Lafitte (common great-great grandparents or the like, and she has seen and talked to him at large family reunions). She also represents at the beginning that she is a former-reporter turned private journalist, so is acting on her own with this interview. IMO, her questioning is generally supportive and non-challenging, even to the point of describing how Lafitte's behavior in certain circumstances was common business practice among professionals (rather than leaving him to describe it that way).

So, it's a bit like Lafitte simply recording himself saying all that was said in the interview, with the interviewer perhaps adding a bit of professional polish that was generally helpful (toward him).

ETA: For example, an objective journalist would not have allowed Lafitte to get away with so easily explaining away the loans Lafitte extended to AM out of the Plyler girls' accounts. (He explained this practice by saying they earned more on those funds than they'd earn had the funds been left sitting in the account and the interviewer did not challenge him on that claim.).

However, as a fiduciary, his role is to protect those funds and responsibly invest and administer them. So, even though the 1.5% in interest charged on those loans was more than the 0.25%, 0.5% or 0.75% that Lafitte said they'd earn sitting in accounts, that 1.5% was likely far less than an arms-length transaction would be for such a loan. AM was paying "below market" as that rate was not reflective of risk and that is taking advantage. Lafitte was violating his fiduciary responsibilities in making those funds available for AM's use.

The interviewer asked whether he took loans from both girls' accounts and he said he only did from HP's and not from the other sister (AP). The interviewer doesn't ask why or explain to those viewing the video that HP was the younger of the two sisters. It seems reasonable to me to assume that the younger sister's account was thus pillaged because Lafitte and AM would have more time before she turned 18 to replenish the accounts and more time before HP would become wise enough to question the administration of them. A responsible journalist would have asked such questions.

Great observations.
And, I definitely agree that this was a 'soft interview'. More of a PR exercise.

And there’s probably situations we don’t even know about! Just unreal how selfish and sociopathic he is.
Truly. Admittedly, I haven't been following this case closely. Watching Dateline last night was the first I'd heard of the Pinckneys. I thought GS and her family was the extent of AM's theft. Should've known he'd been at it for decades.

This is one of those cases in which the surprises never cease.

Zero morals, 100% self-entitled. What a waste of space.

Truly. Admittedly, I haven't been following this case closely. Watching Dateline last night was the first I'd heard of the Pinckneys. I thought GS and her family was the extent of AM's theft. Should've known he'd been at it for decades.

This is one of those cases in which the surprises never cease.

Zero morals, 100% self-entitled. What a waste of space.
I didn’t realize it was on Dateline and will have to watch. Yes, so many innocent people affected by his actions - and so many people complicit with those actions as well.

AM is a true sociopath. Especially stealing from the poor, vulnerable, and people in medical states where they couldn't advocate for themselves. And they trusted an attorney, this pillar in the community.

I'm totally sick of the documentaries and news magazine episodes on this case, and I had no intention of watching the HBO one. I figured I'd try out a few minutes, and wound up watching the whole thing.

Really, really well done.

I'm glad they included Griffin and that other supporter of his, as I always enjoy these morons eating crow when all is said and done.

Also, the description of the crime scene does make me feel like Alex did do this alone. With two shooters, I'd expect both victims to be found relatively close together. The fact that Maggie was apparently running though, indicates to me that Paul was shot first, Maggie then ran, and Alex switched to the rifle and gunned her down.

Last edited:
After watching the HBO miniseries, I came away with an impression that AM is the sacrificial lamb for the extended family. There seems to be little doubt that he is guilty of financial crimes and possibly murder, but he seems to be taking the fall for the whole family. Is it really possible that AM was doing all of these crimes and no-one in the entire family law firm was aware of any of it? No-one noticed millions of dollars missing from the firm until after the "suicide attempt".

There is no definite evidence of this and it is just a general impression or gut feeling.

After watching the HBO miniseries, I came away with an impression that AM is the sacrificial lamb for the extended family. There seems to be little doubt that he is guilty of financial crimes and possibly murder, but he seems to be taking the fall for the whole family. Is it really possible that AM was doing all of these crimes and no-one in the entire family law firm was aware of any of it? No-one noticed millions of dollars missing from the firm until after the "suicide attempt".

There is no definite evidence of this and it is just a general impression or gut feeling.
Agree! Wonder if the law firm has an outside accounting firm or was everything done in-house?

A very good point was made that Alex did not start with a 4 million dollar scam, it started way before this and how far back does it go? Who taught Alex this scam? Anyone who ever had a case with any member of that family needs to review their cases directly with the insurance companies.

Also wasn’t it weird that Randy Murdaugh called Stephen Smith’s family on the day Stephen was found dead to offer his services free of charge? How did he find out that Stephen was killed? And Stephen’s mother said Randy requested Stephen’s passwords to social media? WHY?

I have to admit I was watching football on a tablet and the HBO show on the TV so I may have missed some things.

Does anyone know if they found Stephen’s cell phone? If so they would be able to access facebook/messenger and see who he was texting with prior to his death, as well as access any dating app that he downloaded. Which of course leads right back to Randy Murdaugh requesting social media passwords. Why would a personal injury lawyer request this?

My opinion / speculation only is that he would have requested access to erase any evidence linking Stephen to any member of the Murdaugh family.

Interesting that they have reopened Stephen’s case, I wonder what they found on Paul’s phone?

The Murdaughs may indeed be a crime family...corruption, fraud, tax evasion, etc. We should learn more at AM's murder trial. Perhaps more arrests will follow.

Great video.

Lafitte has no career to save. He has no hope of avoiding prison. He's committed so many financial crimes that at this point, all he can do to improve his situation is to minimize the number of counts and the number of years that he must serve before he is eligible for parole. JMO.

It's my understanding that MM had informed the law firm what she was learning about her husband's financial skullduggery. She contacted a divorce attorney six weeks before she was killed. Now, that's not to say the other lawyers were ignorant of or uninvolved in AM's actions. I feel the same as you - there's no way he was doing all of this without someone besides Lafitte and ES being involved. Yes, after the deaths of MM and PM, and the "suicide" attempt, AM's family was ready to sacrifice him to limit damage to the rest.

In last Saturday’s FitsNews Week in Review, there is a very interesting dialog on several contradictory reports around AM’s alibi: not only the timeline from JG Esq., but also two or three contradictory alibi versions offered by Alex’s brothers at different times, and more! Suggested listening during this relatively slow period. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces