SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snipped>

Judge Clifton Newman on Monday ordered the state to turn over to Murdaugh’s defense team any communications prosecutors had with Tom Bevel, an expert witness who examined the shirt Murdaugh was wearing the night of June 7, 2021, when his wife, Maggie, and son, Paul, were shot and killed on the family’s Colleton County estate.

The judge’s order also covers any documents produced by Bevel for the case, including the Photoshop files relating to the white T-shirt Murdaugh was wearing on the night of the murders.

He said defense attorneys want to interview Bevel and SLED agents under oath before making a decision on whether to file a motion to exclude the shirt from evidence in the upcoming trial.

I’ve said I would neither be shocked nor surprised if AM is found not guilty in the murders but instead is found guilty of the financial crimes which will result in many years of incarceration. While I firmly believe (MOO) he had a motive and was there, it may be difficult to prove to a Colleton jury. Bolded by me. Again, my opinion.

I’ve said I would neither be shocked nor surprised if AM is found not guilty in the murders but instead is found guilty of the financial crimes which will result in many years of incarceration. While I firmly believe (MOO) he had a motive and was there, it may be difficult to prove to a Colleton jury. Bolded by me. Again, my opinion.

I’m wondering if the state has worries of not getting the case across the line. Not going for the DP in a double murder seems out of line with the usual in a state that is so pro capital punishment. Could his last name and connections be at play here? Maybe they will be satisfied and claim a win if they get him on the money crimes and miss the mark with the murder cases. This is surely surprising.

I’m wondering if the state has worries of not getting the case across the line. Not going for the DP in a double murder seems out of line with the usual in a state that is so pro capital punishment. Could his last name and connections be at play here? Maybe they will be satisfied and claim a win if they get him on the money crimes and miss the mark with the murder cases. This is surely surprising.
I was surprised State isn't including DP charge. I thought the State would include it to possibly use as leverage in event of plea deal negotiation.

I was surprised State isn't including DP charge. I thought the State would include it to possibly use as leverage in event of plea deal negotiation.
Me too...and it is a bit bothersome if removing the DP as an option may be a signal of the State's case weaknesses, like expert testimony on cell phone and blood spatter evidence.

As the old saying goes "It only takes one juror", and that could be a possibility with all the good ole' boy friend AM has accumulated over the many years.

I'm not surprised the State didn't go for the DP, unless they have a slam dunk case it's better not to overcharge and end up with a not guilty verdict like the Casey Anthony case. I think AM deserves it, but I'm okay with state not rolling the dice.

I believe he will be found guilty of the murders and with all of the additional financial fraud charges, he's not going to see the outside as a free man IMO.

MOO

Me too...and it is a bit bothersome if removing the DP as an option may be a signal of the State's case weaknesses, like expert testimony on cell phone and blood spatter evidence.
I don't think it's necessarily the State thinking their case is weak, I think they are being very prudent knowing that AM has a good ole' boy network that spans all over the state and beyond.

MOO

I don't know if this has been posted before:

The point of posting this is that the Murdaughs are not as powerful as many represent them to be, and the state did intervene on behalf of CSX railroad.

Having lived in the area in the past, my impression was that they were loved in Hampton County, and not well-liked in Colleton County.

They may be able to get a sympathetic (or intimidated) juror on the panel, but the home field advantage will not be great.

I mean, good on them, but as a non-US citizen I wondered about this para:

For tax years 2011-2019, Murdaugh failed to report $6,954,639 of income earned through illegal acts thereby causing state taxable income to be underreported to the State of South Carolina. Murdaugh owes state tax totaling $486,819.

Should AM be paying state taxes on monies clearly stolen from others? If those funds are recouped is he still liable for the taxes owed?

I appreciate the penalties, even if at this point they're likely tacked onto the end of far greater penalties.

I agree with @meanmaryjean above that teams of SC prosecutors are likely scouring the statutes looking for absolutely anything else that AM can be charged with, large or small -- did his dogs have licenses and up-to-date jabs? And more power to them.
AM's list of illegal activities reminds me of the recently convicted George Wagner IV in Ohio convicted of murdering 8 persons. At his sentencing on Monday, not only did he receive 8 life sentences to be served consecutively but Judge Deering also sentenced him to 121 years in prison for other charges. IMO, even without a murder conviction, AM isn't ever going to leave prison.

AM's list of illegal activities reminds me of the recently convicted George Wagner IV in Ohio convicted of murdering 8 persons. At his sentencing on Monday, not only did he receive 8 life sentences to be served consecutively but Judge Deering also sentenced him to 121 years in prison for other charges. IMO, even without a murder conviction, AM isn't ever going to leave prison.

If by some slim chance he beats the murder charges, he and his lawyers will have a leg to stand with about an extreme penalty would be unfair on the money crimes. I don’t underestimate this legal team as they have deeper connections than AM.

Removing death penalty will open up the jury pool, will it not? Finding jurors willing to convict in DP case may limit the jury pool. I'm for the DP if it is proven beyond any doubt the offender is guilty, but LWOP is ok by me when I'm thinking of punishment for their entire life. AM is evil, he has no regard for people less than he or those of his circle.

If by some slim chance he beats the murder charges, he and his lawyers will have a leg to stand with about an extreme penalty would be unfair on the money crimes. I don’t underestimate this legal team as they have deeper connections than AM.

This will be interesting.

Reportedly, AM has been indicted on more than 100 charges, and tax evasion and insurance fraud are generally felonies. Not sure how many in the indictment are money crimes but I can see him easily facing at least 20 years which doesn't include any future federal tax invasion charges! There might also be penalty enhancements to several of the charges he faces for being in a position of trust.

For comparison, Elizabeth Holmes was sentenced to just over 11 years for 4 counts of wire fraud, and Sunny Balwani 13 years for 12 counts of defrauding investors.

Murdaughs, Parker will be tried together in Mallory Beach wrongful death trial​

<snipped>

The much-delayed trial in the wrongful death case of Mallory Beach against disgraced former lawyer Alex Murdaugh and convenience store magnate Gregory Parker can finally proceed but no date has been set.

The S.C. Court of Appeals unanimously ruled on Dec. 22 that Murdaugh and Parker will be co-defendants in the case. Parker’s lawyers had asked for their cases to be tried separately.

The trial likely won’t begin until summer 2023 at the earliest, said the Beach’s family attorney Mark Tinsley.

Murdaughs, Parker will be tried together in Mallory Beach wrongful death trial

Greetings, fellow sleuthers —
A little OT but just arrived in Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl. The ratio at the hotel of Gamecock fans to Fighting Irish seems to be 5 to 1, with USC types clearly being the more boisterous!

Besides wondering if I might see someone connected to this case, I keep thinking of Elleck and how many beef sticks he’s probably saved up to wager on this game tomorrow. DH says it’s high stakes for USC — the‘ve had some impressive wins this season.

Promise to let you know if I spot anyone of interest. ;)

Greetings, fellow sleuthers —
A little OT but just arrived in Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl. The ratio at the hotel of Gamecock fans to Fighting Irish seems to be 5 to 1, with USC types clearly being the more boisterous!

Besides wondering if I might see someone connected to this case, I keep thinking of Elleck and how many beef sticks he’s probably saved up to wager on this game tomorrow. DH says it’s high stakes for USC — the‘ve had some impressive wins this season.

Promise to let you know if I spot anyone of interest. ;)

Be careful and enjoy it there. I’ve got a pack of cheese crackers on USC+7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jdogcatfish