SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are both MM's assets and AM's assets considered together when AM was having to show his assets?

My general understanding is that its complicated.......

Her individual assets would not be included- well, not directly at least as she was not named in the suit. But..... any assets jointly owned by her and AM would need to be disclosed if the judge found that the questions were legitimate.

But..... not every disclosure question asked by a Sue'em attorney is legitimate-even if its about assets.

For most regular, long term married couple, many of the significant assets would be in both names. As a result, AM and MM's assets would be intertwined.

But..... given AM's profession as a successful Sue'em attorney who had graduated beyond perpetually chasing fender benders, I think there might be a chance that he had previously taken out an "insurance policy" on his assets via legal creativity regarding who legally owned what on paper.

Mike Moseley, the owner of Hot Shots Billiards Club, said he had gone to school with Randy and Alex Murdaugh. Moseley had helped construct Alex Murdaugh’s house on Holly Street in Hampton, which was sold last April.

Rumors swirl about double homicide involving SC law family. Some details begin to emerge.

Looks like they were living at moselle.

Good article. Cleary a sense of power that no one wants to go against. Firm has had large victories with Ford and others. Two judges recused themselves, etc.

“For the better part of a century, the fate of criminal cases in South Carolina’s 14th Judicial Circuit — which covers the state’s southernmost counties — has rested with the Murdaughs. Three generations of the family held the title of solicitor, a run of power that lasted from 1920 until 2005. Two members of the family still do part-time work for the solicitor’s office.

The name still carries a legacy of power and influence: Hampton locals are reluctant to talk about the homicides or members of a family whose relatives’ portraits hang in the county courthouse. So deep are the family’s ties to the judicial system that when Paul Murdaugh was linked to a fatal boat crash in 2019, two judges and the solicitor saw fit to recuse themselves.

The family’s century-old law firm, Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick, boasts the family’s tenure as solicitor on its website, noting that it’s rare for one family to hold a prosecutor’s job for so long. But its sights have reached far beyond Hampton County and the Lowcountry, with a reputation for representing consumers against major corporations. The firm lists a dozen multimillion-dollar victories, including wins against the automakers Ford and Nissan and the railroad CSX”

Buster I can see giving him his license. AM was not there when he took out the boat, they were at someone else's place. I'm not trying to stick up for anyone just trying to understand this. I still do not see why Paul's name was not on the lawsuit. He was an adult, the main adult who caused this.

Haven’t looked at the lawsuit but can speculate … basis of claims could be that PM’s father, bro etc had a duty to exercise responsibility over PM since he is a minor for alcohol-use purposes. To argue that AM,
BM are responsible is implicitly to claim that PM is not - his lack of capacity to be responsible for himself is what creates the liability for the adults around him.

In real world terms lol … if the claims are related to EG negligent supervision and/or passing alcohol to underage drinkers - PM didn’t do those things.

Hope that makes sense … just speculation JMO

It bothers me that the brothers did a televised interview very quickly, combined with saying “no known enemies” <modsnip>Three decades of court proceedings with no thought of even mildly disgruntled people is unrealistic. Whether on the winning or losing side there are always going to be unresolved emotions along the way. And knowing that the MB civil case was still active how could they think all was well for everyone involved?? Makes no sense to me.
It bothers me, too. And it bothers me that they went to the national media to do it. Maybe they think that the local news is already carrying it enough, but to me going on a national program like Good Morning America looks like you’re trying to do a spin on public relations instead of finding a killer. But I’m sure they know a lot more than I do about things like this.

I’m not a political person, but if you look this Murdaugh family up on opensecrets.org or one of the other websites that track political contributions, between the recently deceased dad, the 3 Murdaugh brothers and even their wives names, they have donated an astronomical (to my poor self at least) amount of money to local, state, and national political candidates. I’m from the south and I know other families like that. Those 3 brothers and the recently deceased dad might have had squabbles between themselves at times, but they operate as a unit to anyone one outside the family. If you owe one of them a political favor then you owe it to all of them regardless of which Murdaugh actually gave you the money. They couId potentially call in favors to a lot of very well connected people. Short of the FBI, I’m afraid it might be hard to find a impartial law enforcement agency after looking at their political contributions.

Last edited:
The firm lists a dozen multimillion-dollar victories, including wins against the automakers Ford and Nissan and the railroad CSX”

As a side note, though undoubtably the firm has big money wins, when it comes to Sue'em attorneys, there can be a big difference between multi million dollar victories and multi million dollar collections.

Sue'em attorneys need to advertise success to generate more law suits and cash flow. As a result, not all of them make the distinction between a multi million dollar verdict and a multi million dollar collection clear.

My general understanding is that the true national level elite firms aside, Sue'em attorneys like hit big companies hard- but not so hard that the target decides to fight at the appellate level.

This could be espescially true in deep red SC where the appellate courts might not be that lawsuit friendly. Then factor in that the further the proceedings move out of the rural low country where the Firm is a big fish in a relatively small pond, the less the "buddy machine" is going to work.

I think CSX complained about the Firm demanding 300K in settlements in a case where the norm was 100K. 300K is nothing to sneeze at- but it is not in the millions.

Likewise, another reporter noted that the firm was suing 70 locals at the time he looked at the dockets. Given the income of the area, most of these were probably low on value- but some possibly high on animosity?

All in all, the Firms claims on settlements are probably a blurry mixture of fact, mixed with hype- with a dash of optimism thrown in.

Haven’t looked at the lawsuit but can speculate … basis of claims could be that PM’s father, bro etc had a duty to exercise responsibility over PM since he is a minor for alcohol-use purposes. To argue that AM,
BM are responsible is implicitly to claim that PM is not - his lack of capacity to be responsible for himself is what creates the liability for the adults around him.

In real world terms lol … if the claims are related to EG negligent supervision and/or passing alcohol to underage drinkers - PM didn’t do those things.

Hope that makes sense … just speculation JMO
Thanks! Great explanation.

Does anyone know if there’ve been any updates from LE on this case (other than that they’re reopening the SS case) ?

Has LE said anything since “no threat to the public”?

i dont kno if this was posted

Black SUV Reportedly Towed As Evidence In The Killings of Margaret And Paul Murdaugh

The morning after a mother and son from a prominent South Carolina legal dynasty were found shot to death on their family’s sprawling property, a black SUV was towed away from the grounds to the local sheriff’s impound lot. Police are said to be scouring the vehicle for forensic evidence, a local news outlet reported this week.

Does anyone know if there’ve been any updates from LE on this case (other than that they’re reopening the SS case) ?

Has LE said anything since “no threat to the public”?

Other than filing judgments to get more info from LE there isn’t anything new that I have seen.

Considering the Murdaughs halted sobriety test for PM & BM and chose not to comply in the SS investigation has most likely caused hesitation in various persons saying anything…relevant or not. Why say anything if the Murdaughs are allowed to script it…

Short of the FBI, I’m afraid it might be hard to find a impartial law enforcement after looking at their political contributions. agency.

Though I think you have grounds to be concerned, I am optimistic that impartiality can be found at the State level.

Already, a State highway patrol officer openly questioned the "hit and run" finding of the coroner regarding the strange death of an individual who had ties to the family. Likewise, PM was eventually charged regarding the "BWI" death.

At the end of the day, though the family is influential, they constitute "big fish in a small pond". Hopefully, once the investigation moves fully to the State level, the "in county" tradition of favorable reviews and "not asking the hard questions" will melt away.

I'm going to go on record as saying that I ain't buying the suggestion that PM was the sole intended target and that MM was simply "in the wrong place at the wrong time."

It was, after all, the woman's house.
It was after 9 pm on a weeknight.
I'm not exactly sure where else she was supposed to be after dark on a weeknight.

I can't imagine the woman's presence at her own home on a weeknight would come as a complete shock to the killer(s).

I'm seeing signs of someone perhaps planting a false narrative.
Someone may be attempting to muddy the investigative waters so that that LE can't spot the monster slithering beneath the surface.

I'm openly speculating that someone would LIKE us all to believe PM was the sole intended target.
If PM was the sole intended target, the list of suspects is long, indeed.

But if MM was ALSO an intended victim, that list likely becomes considerably shorter, and this case becomes much more straightforward.

I think this will prove to be a two birds/one stone crime.

The fact that two guns were used, notwithstanding.

J.M.O.

ITA
I've never believed it had anything to do with boating incident and that was what the perpetrator wanted everyone to believe. It didn't smell right to me from the beginning. And then of course the revelations about PM receiving death threats that weren't taken seriously.

Yes I'm quite confident the Murdaugh's have upset many people in their line of work just like other attorneys have. But was it really enough for these obvious brutal murders? IDK

The money and upcoming case have always been in the forefront to me.

MOO

It’s possible PM & MM arrived in separate vehicles, one MM in the driveway at the house, PM could have come in the driveway to the dog kennels/building. There is a house to the right of that driveway, irrc belongs to them as well.

Stiil haven’t read that there were dogs there. From appearances the property looks to have been established before they purchased it.

As a side note: some places allow for cheaper property tax if it’s agricultural or a business/hunting lodge. Haven’t found a site for it.

On March 6th Maggie posted about stolen machinery Kubota bush hog <expensive> that happened at Moselle. Could it be that someone(s) came back for more? It mentioned it happened sometime between Thurs - Sat, which leads me to believe they weren't staying there full time. Maybe they've gathered there after school for Paul and MM and AM because of RM.

Perhaps Paul heard the dogs barking at something and, being on guard because of the theft, went to investigate with a shotgun. Maggie heard shots and went out to investigate and was killed?

Just speculating out loud. This is a real life whodunit.

MOO

Yet another note in the case file mentions a tip that came from a man who claimed his stepson struck and killed Smith. The man claimed he was instructed to pass this information to investigators because “Randy Murdaugh told him to call,” the report states.

Investigative reports reveal search for clues in reopened 2015 hit-and-run case

This bothers me about Randy.
I wonder if this man received any compensation for tipping LE that his stepson killed Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drnatalie