SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, one of the articles said LE was notified at the scene of the car shooting.

But I have not read anything that says SLED did not already know about the missing money. The prosecutor recusing himself (due to the events of this day) makes me think his information came from SLED as far back as August 11, 2021.

JMO

I think it came to light when the father's estate started through probate. A court date to settle an estate through probate could be about 3 months out due to Covid and heavy court log.

JMO
If his father's death requires probate in SC - that's some pretty bad estate planning IMO. Probate avoidance is Estate planning 101 - has an estate been opened yet? I have not looked in the SC court records yet.
JMO

Both the firm's and Murdaugh's public statements say that Murdaugh resigned, so I'm not sure what her point is. Obviously I'm sure the firm would have taken action against Murdaugh (under whatever process is provided under its partnership agreement) to force him out, but technically, it sounds like he did in fact resign. Murdaugh's dishonesty is more accurately portrayed by his misappropriating firm funds than by his saying that he resigned.

As per Nancys commentary he was terminated on Friday.

If his father's death requires probate in SC - that's some pretty bad estate planning IMO. Probate avoidance is Estate planning 101 - has an estate been opened yet? I have not looked in the SC court records yet.
JMO

Exactly

Even having property that transfers after death without the tax hit. And personnal with valve can be given away.

Hypothetically speaking, how long does it take to “steal” millions? Was this prior to or because of the murders? It seems like a cause vs reaction debate, IMO. Someone like me would need a long timespan to embezzle money amounts outside of my lifestyle bracket but maybe a few months (?) if I live/spend like AM? Also, does he not have his own money from his job and 3 recent life insurance policies or are those in waiting bc COD in 2 was homicide?

Hypothetically speaking, in a large company dealing in millions of dollars a day, anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of years. I worked as a CPA in a fortune 500 company right out of college which had a separate payroll department. A payroll clerk embezzled close to half a million in just one month by writing payroll checks to "ghost" employees. She obtained names, address and SSN's from people who put in applications but who were never actually hired by the company. It was discovered when W-2's were sent out and people started calling the company informing them they had never worked there.

JMO

BREAKING: Maggie Murdaugh Ordered Forensic Accounting of Family Finances Before Her Murder
snipped
MM, the murdered wife of South Carolina legal scion AM, had ordered a forensic accounting of her own, in addition to the accounting done by AM’s law firm that resulted in his sudden resignation the day before he was supposedly shot in the head on a rural road.

Reporter Matt Harris, morning show host on WLNK and host of the podcast “The Murdaugh Family Murders: Impact of Influence,” made the stunning announcement on “Crime Stories with Nancy Grace.”

“That is the word I got from a pretty reliable source,” Harris said. “MM hired a forensic accountant.”

Oh my.

Or, as grandma used to say.....Lordy be !

There are often federal charges when there is an alleged theft/diversion of this kind. The Feds may bring mail or wire fraud charges if they think they can prove use of the US mail or an interstate telephone call/electronic communication made in furtherance of a scheme. JMO.
IRS will be on it like white on rice because it is unreported income and tax evasion. Unless the money was taken this year only and he reports it on his 2021 tax return.

JMO

As per Nancys commentary he was terminated on Friday.

My point is that Nancy's commentary is incorrect. Both Murdaugh and the firm said he resigned. Again, I'm sure the firm would have taken steps to separate Murdaugh had he not agreed to resign, but he did agree to resign, so they didn't have to do that.

AM’s brother, RM, is both a family member and a former law partner. AM is said to have called RM after calling 911, and the media accounts of the roadway incident were from John Griffin, a family attorney who received his info from RM.

MOO, RM may have been put in the position of trying to help his brother in crisis while also protecting the law firm, which is a family legacy. Seeing that AM received timely medical attention (added benefit that it was out-of-state?) and legal representation while also alerting LE to recent developments might be how he handled those dual responsibilities. Or he brought another law firm partner with him to represent the firm’s interests while he dealt with his brother’s interests. Speculation only.

Or, before all the facts were known, the law partners wanted to make sure LE was aware of the missing money in case it turned out to be a self inflicted GSW.

JMO

From what I have read, it was a substantial amount of money that was misappropriated. How long has this been going on. Wasn't this law firm ever audited?
Good questions. I am also curious as to how liable the Law Firm is for a Partner's "misappropriating funds". Don't they have a responsibility to their clients to protect them once they have been hired from a firm stand point? I bet the phones are blowing up with people getting in line. I will not be surprised to see that firm blow up and everyone running for personal cover. This is a really big mess.

Where is there info that he left his Mom's home at 9:45 -9:55pm? How do we know he didn't leave there at 8pm? And how do we know that he was ever at his Mom's house? I'm talking verified info, not from his bothers. Thanks! JMO.
I don't know for sure, I'm speculating. If its only a 12 minute or so ride from Varnville to Islandton and AM we know was at Moselle calling 911 at 10:07, I'm backtracking the 12 minute ride to his Mom in Varnville. All just guesstimates as an approximate timeline.

Many factors as traffic, stops are absent from this guestimate so take it how you want to, add or subtract. We don't know for sure until SLED tells us what AM's car told them as well as anyone at his Mom's home.

Is it possible that there were gambling debts that had to be paid back and the original murders were done to send a message to AM? Just my opinion but maybe the funds supposedly being diverted were in an effort to pay back the gambling losses ? Perhaps all of this occurring while in a possible confused state due to substance addiction.
This is just my opinion.

LOL
Solicitor’s Office says Alex Murdaugh will no longer prosecute its cases as volunteer

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254055123.html

From the article:
“No hours were recorded by the Solicitor’s Office to account for how much work they did for the agency. Kidd said that was because the relationship was informal, and the Murdaughs did not prosecute many cases.”

The Solicitor’s Office apparently doesn’t know what cases were prosecuted (or supported) by their soon-to-be-disbarred volunteer attorney with an admitted longstanding addiction (rumored to be opioids) and accusations of embezzlement. AM served as volunteer solicitor since his father, RM, retired in 2005.

That’s why one keeps track of who worked which cases, even if they are “volunteers.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth