SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the power of attorney because AM plans on a lengthy stay in rehab, going to prison or plans to enter Witness Protection. Any other ideas as to why he felt this was necessary?
I think it has to do with having to do it right away and his brother, the lawyer, wasn't an option anymore? I'm wondering where the money to pay off a mortgage came from and how much it was?

@Gardenista you really put us on to a treasure trove of data with that sc lands website.

• AM made Buster POA on 9/16 (filed 9/23)
  • AM or Buster as AM filed that Boulware had satisfied his mortgage loan (9/23) (AM had loaned Boulware nearly $1 million mortgage)
  • In the only other rush filing (9/23 int 9/24 filing I think) a mortgage was filed as satisfied for 200 w Holly st. Mortgage originator? Chad Westenfeld
  • Who had Boulware POA? AM
  • Some additional very odd mortgage filings between AM and Palmetto State Bank

@Gardenista you really put us on to a treasure trove of data with that sc lands website.

• AM or Buster as AM filed that Boulware had satisfied his mortgage loan (9/23) (AM had loaned Boulware nearly $1 million mortgage)
  • In the only other rush filing (9/23 int 9/24 filing I think) a mortgage was filed as satisfied for 200 w Holly st. Mortgage originator? Chad Westenfeld
Thanks for this info! It makes it a bit clearer. Sounds to me like AM is looking for money.

I can't take credit for it. Someone on FB posted the image of the POA which I could not post here without a link. So, I had to do some digging to figure out where they found this info. I appreciate everyone here explaining exactly what it all means because this kind of stuff is Greek to me.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Alex Murdaugh's Ties To Alleged Drug Smuggler Uncovered
Before he became the focal point of America’s most riveting true crime drama - the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ saga - South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh was a legal representative

https://twitter.com/fitsnews/status/1441926352513425412?s=21

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Alex Murdaugh's Ties To Alleged Drug Smuggler Uncovered
Before he became the focal point of America’s most riveting true crime drama - the ‘Murdaugh Murders’ saga - South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh was a legal representative

I’ve got to be missing something. They are stopping the presses because a crooked lawyer from the coast represented a pot pirate? And the dads were close? Harpoonlians firm represented my uncle 30 years ago for running pot, I just don’t get this.

I’ve got to be missing something. They are stopping the presses because a crooked lawyer from the coast represented a pot pirate? And the dads were close? Harpoonlians firm represented my uncle 30 years ago for running pot, I just don’t get this.

distraction cause the Gamecocks are losing

Their names have stayed out of the newspapers for many years, but two generations of Boulwares worked the high seas off the coast of South Carolina – and points further south – for decades, ostensibly as fishermen.

Were they also engaged in other, less legitimate offshore endeavors?

Barrett T. Boulware died on September 12, 2018 following a brief battle with an aggressive form of cancer.

“He went to Mayo, did it all,” one local source told me. “(But) he still died fast.”

“Barrett enjoyed life, lived it to the fullest with his many friends but most of all he loved his family,” his obituary noted.

His death came six years after his father passed away at the age of 87.

It has long been alleged he used his shrimp boats for hauling contraband,” one Lowcountry attorney told me on Saturday, referring to the younger Boulware. “He has long been rumored as a smuggler. He was a wheeler and dealer, a very flamboyant personality.”

The same rumors also ran rampant about the elder Boulware, a peer of former S.C. fourteenth circuit solicitor Randolph “Buster” Murdaugh Jr. In fact, the elder Boulware’s father – a lawyer named Thomas McCullough Boulware – tried cases with Murdaugh in the late 1940s.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Alex Murdaugh’s Ties To Alleged Drug Smuggler Uncovered

As noted earlier, according to Colleton county property records Murdaugh paid Boulware’s wife five dollars for Moselle. However, the transfer deed (.pdf) dated April 15, 2013 referenced the “exchange of like-kind replacement property” totaling $730,000 – part of a “multi-property, non-simultaneous, tax-free exchange transaction” entered into between Boulware and Murdaugh. Typically such transactions – which are authorized by section 1031 of the U.S. internal revenue code – allow the seller to avoid capital gains taxes so long as they invest any proceeds of the sale into the purchase of other properties.

Two months before he died, however, Boulware surrendered control of the properties – and everything else in his life – to Murdaugh.

On July 6, 2018, Boulware granted power of attorney to Alex Murdaugh – authorizing his attorney and business partner to “lease, let, take possession, bargain, sell, assign, convey, pledge, mortgage and encumber, repair, insure and generally manage any and all property, both real and personal, which I own, or may hereafter acquire from any source.”

The instrument Boulware signed just prior to his death also authorized Murdaugh to “sign, execute and deliver any and all legal documents” in his name, and to “deposit any monies received from any source whatever for me, and in my name with any bank, and to draw and deliver checks in my name against said monies and other monies to be deposited in my name or to my credit.”

Their names have stayed out of the newspapers for many years, but two generations of Boulwares worked the high seas off the coast of South Carolina – and points further south – for decades, ostensibly as fishermen.

Were they also engaged in other, less legitimate offshore endeavors?

Barrett T. Boulware died on September 12, 2018 following a brief battle with an aggressive form of cancer.

“He went to Mayo, did it all,” one local source told me. “(But) he still died fast.”

“Barrett enjoyed life, lived it to the fullest with his many friends but most of all he loved his family,” his obituary noted.

His death came six years after his father passed away at the age of 87.

It has long been alleged he used his shrimp boats for hauling contraband,” one Lowcountry attorney told me on Saturday, referring to the younger Boulware. “He has long been rumored as a smuggler. He was a wheeler and dealer, a very flamboyant personality.”

The same rumors also ran rampant about the elder Boulware, a peer of former S.C. fourteenth circuit solicitor Randolph “Buster” Murdaugh Jr. In fact, the elder Boulware’s father – a lawyer named Thomas McCullough Boulware – tried cases with Murdaugh in the late 1940s.

This article just made me go:eek::eek::eek:
From August 9, 1985...look at the lawyer for the accused and convicted drug smuggling "lunatic" who killed a Boulware (also a drug smuggler).

https://apnews.com/article/35bf6d2e89ace630762e6aee31a12c4f

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members