SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maggie Murdaugh Saw a Divorce Lawyer 6 Weeks Before She and Her Son Were Murdered: Source

Six weeks before Maggie Murdaugh and her son, Paul, were murdered on the grounds of their family's 1,770-acre hunting lodge, Maggie met with a divorce attorney in Charleston, S.C., a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation tells PEOPLE.

According to the source, Maggie drove one hour from the family's home into Charleston in late April to meet with a lawyer to explore her options about ending her marriage to Alex Murdaugh.

@BrookeButlerTV

The $100,000 reward for information on the murders of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh is set to expire September 30.
Here's a statement from a family spokesperson: "We are disappointed that no one has stepped forward with any leads to solve the murder and claim the $100,000 reward. At this time the family is evaluating what additional steps can be taken to solve the murders of Maggie and Paul."

Maggie Murdaugh Saw a Divorce Lawyer 6 Weeks Before She and Her Son Were Murdered: Source

Six weeks before Maggie Murdaugh and her son, Paul, were murdered on the grounds of their family's 1,770-acre hunting lodge, Maggie met with a divorce attorney in Charleston, S.C., a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation tells PEOPLE.

According to the source, Maggie drove one hour from the family's home into Charleston in late April to meet with a lawyer to explore her options about ending her marriage to Alex Murdaugh.

Well Well Well

waaaooooooo man i cant keep up w this one it moves too fast but sooooo many plot twists. very sad.

@BrookeButlerTV

The $100,000 reward for information on the murders of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh is set to expire September 30.
Here's a statement from a family spokesperson: "We are disappointed that no one has stepped forward with any leads to solve the murder and claim the $100,000 reward. At this time the family is evaluating what additional steps can be taken to solve the murders of Maggie and Paul."
Phones not allowed in rehab?

All the pieces are falling into place. Maggie requested a financial audit, it could be related to divorce proceedings and division of assets. That audit may have triggered a deep dive into finances, potentially exposing money that was embezzled. That would be a problem for Alex. Furthermore, several properties were in Maggie's name, meaning she had control of selling those properties in anticipation of division of family assets.

Paul was tangled up in a very problematic lawsuit (boating death) that was going to cost the family millions.

Elimination of Maggie might put Maggie's assets (property) in Alex's hands, depending on the Will. Elimination of Paul eliminates legal costs that would have been needed for Paul's defence.

Alex had enough time to drive from the hospital to Moselle, back to his mother's house to check on her, and back to Moselle to discover the bodies. Alex could have requested that Maggie and Paul stay at Moselle to be closer to the hospital to have a final visit with his father. Alex discovered the bodies shortly after they were shot, but stated that he was not concerned about a shooter in the vicinity.

I was wondering if she had seen a lawyer. I can’t imagine it would be easy for her to get someone to represent her.
I find it weird that we are finding out new information today. The Gibson finally identified & this info info on Maggie seeing a lawyer. I had wondered earlier if this Gibson was the new one AM & his lawyers were going to have us suspect. Hope not.

From the PEOPLE article posted above,

"Alex's coworkers noticed a cooling in the couple's relationship, and tell PEOPLE that Maggie no longer came by the office to have lunch with her husband, as she had done in the past."

From another PEOPLE article (they are really cranking out the content)--

As one member of the Murdaugh's social circle tells PEOPLE in its latest issue: "Behind all those black ties and fancy dresses were some pretty miserable people."

A Father's Dark Secrets: Inside the New, Disturbing Twists in the South Carolina Murdaugh Murders

From the PEOPLE article posted above,

"Alex's coworkers noticed a cooling in the couple's relationship, and tell PEOPLE that Maggie no longer came by the office to have lunch with her husband, as she had done in the past."

From another PEOPLE article (they are really cranking out the content)--

As one member of the Murdaugh's social circle tells PEOPLE in its latest issue: "Behind all those black ties and fancy dresses were some pretty miserable people."

A Father's Dark Secrets: Inside the New, Disturbing Twists in the South Carolina Murdaugh Murders
this quote from the seconk link sums it up for me lol

"If you feel a swoosh of wind blow by," one local resident tells PEOPLE in its latest issue, "that's my head spinning around in circles trying to follow this craziness."

@BrookeButlerTV

The 9/30 deadline for the reward is suspicious in and of itself. There's no statute of limitations on murder so why cut off the reward on some arbitrary date?

And only $100,000 for a double murder? Pffft. Paltry for a filthy-rich family. After months dragged by with no solid leads, no suspects, you'd think they would have upped it to $250K or even $500K.

Well there you go. Meeting with a divorce lawyer, hiring a forensic accountant and living separately at the beach house in Edisto a little more than an hour away from Moselle.

What the heck was she doing down by the kennels at 9-9:30 at night?

I keep coming back to what I heard AM say that night, IMO.
"For God's sake Paul. Why'd you have to get involved"

All the pieces are falling into place. Maggie requested a financial audit, it could be related to divorce proceedings and division of assets. That audit may have triggered a deep dive into finances, potentially exposing money that was embezzled. That would be a problem for Alex. Furthermore, several properties were in Maggie's name, meaning she had control of selling those properties in anticipation of division of family assets.

Paul was tangled up in a very problematic lawsuit (boating death) that was going to cost the family millions.

Elimination of Maggie might put Maggie's assets (property) in Alex's hands, depending on the Will. Elimination of Paul eliminates legal costs that would have been needed for Paul's defence.

Alex had enough time to drive from the hospital to Moselle, back to his mother's house to check on her, and back to Moselle to discover the bodies. Alex could have requested that Maggie and Paul stay at Moselle to be closer to the hospital to have a final visit with his father. Alex discovered the bodies shortly after they were shot, but stated that he was not concerned about a shooter in the vicinity.
Don't forget the shower he came back to Moselle to take before he went to see his Mom...but he didn't see PM or MM there...then.

The 9/30 deadline for the reward is suspicious in and of itself. There's no statute of limitations on murder so why cut off the reward on some arbitrary date?

And only $100,000 for a double murder? Pffft. Paltry for a filthy-rich family. After months dragged by with no solid leads, no suspects, you'd think they would have upped it to $250K or even $500K.

It's not uncommon to have deadlines to create urgency. It's also not uncommon to extend deadlines. $100k is still a good chunk and we're unsure of how much money he "actually" has available.

My question now is who was shot first? Did he shot both?
PM being shot in the chest and through an arm into his head sounds like a struggle for the gun possibly occurred. I think the shotgun used to kill PM was the weapon recovered at the scene. JMO

MM being shot multiple times with a weapon and ammunition (Blackout casings found at scene) that lends itself to shooting from afar, as well as MM having at least one shot in her back, leads me to thinking she was the target. News that the M's owned a weapon like that but it wasn't recovered is also a suspicious thing. AJMO

It's not uncommon to have deadlines to create urgency. It's also not uncommon to extend deadlines. $100k is still a good chunk and we're unsure of how much money he "actually" has available.
Remember he is broke

Top SC lawmaker hired to defend store sued in fatal boat crash involving Murdaugh family

Top SC lawmaker hired to defend store sued in fatal boat crash involving Murdaugh family
Smith, hired to represent a convenience store that has been named as a defendant, appeared before a judge who is up for reelection next year and could need Smith’s support to keep his job.

Smith told The Post and Courier he was hired two weeks ago by Gregory Parker, the owner of the convenience store that is accused of selling alcohol to an underage Paul Murdaugh on the night of the February 2019 boat crash.

In an interview, Smith said he was hired for his legal experience and skill as a high-stakes trial lawyer, not for his political standing.

I agree. I think they could put up a million bucks and it wouldn't matter. They already know in advance they won't have to pay out any reward at all. There's no one going to come forward with tips. Because in my opinion AM was responsible for the deaths of his wife and child. I doubt any tips come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly