SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254597917.html

Man charged in Alex Murdaugh shooting is ‘fall guy’ in failed murder scheme, SC lawyer says

A lawyer for the Colleton County man accused of shooting Alex Murdaugh in the head as part of a staged murder attempt said Murdaugh is making his client out to be “the fall guy.”

Curtis Edward Smith, 61, plans to plead not guilty to charges brought by S.C. Law Enforcement Division in a Sept. 4 shooting, Smith’s lawyer, Jarrett Bouchette, said in an interview.

SLED accused Smith of conspiring with Murdaugh, a suspended Hampton lawyer, to shoot the lawyer in the head so Murdaugh’s son could receive a $10 million life insurance payout. Murdaugh lived, and both men were charged.

<snip>

‘THE GUN DID GO OFF’
On Sept. 4, Bouchette said, Murdaugh called Smith and told him to bring his truck, which he “presumed to mean he was going to do some kind of work helping fix something.”

Smith did odd jobs for Murdaugh, and they maintained a friendship over the years, he said. After Smith received the call, he met Murdaugh on Old Salkehatchie Road, a rural road in Hampton County.

According to SLED’s affidavits, the two men met “for the purpose of Mr. Smith assisting Mr. Murdaugh to commit suicide.”

“Mr. Murdaugh provided Mr. Smith with a firearm and directed Mr. Smith to shoot him in the head for the purpose of causing Mr. Murdaugh’s death,” according to SLED’s affidavit. “And allowing for the payment of a stated death benefit to a beneficiary of the insured, Mr. Murdaugh.”

But Bouchette said Smith was not aware of any insurance fraud scheme or plan to shoot when he went to meet Murdaugh.

He said when Smith arrived that Murdaugh was “suicidal.”

“I don’t think there’s any dispute from the co-defendant (Murdaugh) or his attorneys that during this time period (Murdaugh) was going through either withdrawals or was in a serious opioid episode,” he said.

Bouchette confirmed what Smith had said to the New York Post in an interview earlier this month.

“The gun did go off at some point while (Smith) was trying to wrestle the gun away from (Murdaugh). That would seem to make sense given the scene he arrived upon,” according to Bouchette.

Smith left “scared” and “in a temporary state of shock,” according to his lawyer.

He said Smith disposed of the gun, “which, given the emotional reaction that he had, I think that’s certainly understandable,” Bouchette said.

<snip>

Regarding Murdaugh’s injuries, Bouchette said Smith “didn’t say one way or another, but as far as I’m aware he did not see any injury.”

At a bond hearing for Alex Murdaugh’s charges on Sept. 16, viewers noted that Murdaugh’s head appeared unscathed from the shooting. His lawyers maintained he sustained head injuries.

<snip>

A former client of Murdaugh’s, Smith used to play softball with Murdaugh, Bouchette said. They stayed in touched and had a close friendship, he said.

As to whether Smith had any involvement in the murders of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh on June 7, Bouchette said no.

“There’s no evidence of that at all,” he said.
Any more info on this Bouchette guy? I wasn’t aware of CES retaining an attorney. Is he a pit bull that “has a bone to pick with the M’s”? I certainly hope so. We need more attorneys like Eric Bland to go after all the M corruptions.

I personally have not read about a caretaker, c rowe, jr. or Sr. is not showing up as ever living there.

Jmo
And IIRC the story is that the caretaker and AM had some conflict/argument (or more) and AM fired him soon after, leading to speculation that maybe an angry disgruntled former employee came back and was involved in a revenge killing.

I personally have not read about a caretaker, c rowe, jr. or Sr. is not showing up as ever living there.

Jmo
And IIRC the story is that the caretaker and AM had some conflict/argument (or more) and AM fired him soon after, leading to speculation that maybe an angry disgruntled former employee came back and was involved in a revenge killing.
Once upon a time, probably several threads ago, there was a man who came to our attention for having been dismissed from school system employment. He was seen holding hands with and kissing a 16-year-old student and folks didn’t approve. Some who told us about him and used his name posted he had soon after been employed as an estate caretaker.

I don’t recall there was a link about this same man being both a school employee and a caretaker, but he was fully discussed with both jobs early on, and there was speculation that if the laird learned about the school history, that might be why he fired him.

Some said that the caretaker got angry when he was fired and started a fight with the laird. The laird’s son didn’t like this and people say he jumped into the fight, too. Some people speculated that if the caretaker was angry enough would he hurt the landowner’s family. The story writers didn’t know anything for sure and no one lived happily ever after.

Maybe someone else will remember reading this tale, c. June or July.
you’re awesome! So clever.

Jmo
Once upon a time, probably several threads ago, there was a man who came to our attention for having been dismissed from school system employment. He was seen holding hands with and kissing a 16-year-old student and folks didn’t approve. Some who told us about him and used his name posted he had soon after been employed as an estate caretaker.

I don’t recall there was a link about this same man being both a school employee and a caretaker, but he was fully discussed with both jobs early on, and there was speculation that if the laird learned about the school history, that might be why he fired him.

Some said that the caretaker got angry when he was fired and started a fight with the laird. The laird’s son didn’t like this and people say he jumped into the fight, too. Some people speculated that if the caretaker was angry enough would he hurt the landowner’s family. The story writers didn’t know anything for sure and no one lived happily ever after.

you’re awesome! So clever.

Man charged in Alex Murdaugh shooting is ‘fall guy’ in failed murder scheme, SC lawyer says
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254597917.html

... The basis for SLED’s charges [against CES] is apparently what Murdaugh told police ...

Murdaugh - the same guy who was charged with falsifying his 9/4/21 police report?

... On Sept. 4, Bouchette said, Murdaugh called Smith and told him to bring his truck, which he “presumed to mean he was going to do some kind of work helping fix something.” ...

Why would AM care what vehicle CES drove? Seems like that would be irrelevant to someone who allegedly was desperate to kill himself. "Bring your truck" sounds more like a pretext, a lure to get unsuspecting CES to come help him ... in the middle of nowhere. The (slashed) run-flat flat tire was a nice touch.

... Bouchette said Smith was not aware of any insurance fraud scheme or plan to shoot when he went to meet Murdaugh. He said when Smith arrived that Murdaugh was “suicidal.” ... “The gun did go off at some point while (Smith) was trying to wrestle the gun away from (Murdaugh). ... Smith left “scared” and “in a temporary state of shock,” ... Smith disposed of the gun, “which, given the emotional reaction that he had, I think that’s certainly understandable,” Bouchette said. ...

If Murdaugh was genuinely "suicidal" why didn't he kill himself? He had the gun and a lonely stretch of road. Because he never, at any time, intended to kill himself - or have anyone else kill him. This guy's a seasoned, sophisticated lawyer, accustomed to poring over minute legal and business details - he knew exactly what his life insurance policy covered.

If the allegedly agreed-upon "plan" was for CES to shoot AM in the head, why didn't CES shoot him in the head and kill him? Why did CES FAIL? Because CES never attempted to shoot AM. All those shell casings around the pristine Mercedes - imho, AM shot his own gun before CES arrived, to set the scene he wanted the public to see.

What, exactly, would CES have gained if he had shot and killed AM? Worse than nothing. The only one to benefit from AM's $10M death payout would have been Buster. CES would have been left with a potential murder charge hanging over his head forever. (How many people do you personally know - family, friends, co-workers - who would agree to shoot you in the head at your request, out of the blue on one phone call? I'm guessing zero.)

Notice that AM was the first one to call 911 on Sept 4 - he made 100% sure he got HIS narrative out first, then literally disappeared to "rehab". But if you're trying to get away with alleged insurance fraud, why would you instantly call 911, why would you throw yourself into the spotlight? Because "assisted suicide" and "$10M insurance payday for Buster" was complete BS.

AM's real motive: he needed someone who he knew would instantly come to his aid, no questions asked; he needed a convenient scapegoat to pin as his "drug dealer" - you know, the BAD GUY who gave him drugs that made him do bad things and have to go hide in rehab and now his whole life is ruined! BUT why would filthy-rich "addict" AM even need a backwoods, small-time "drug dealer"? His longtime business partner, Boulware, was reportedly the head of a drug running empire. Nut shell: AM desperately needed to become a "victim", he needed a "bad guy" to blame for all his dire troubles.

... On Sept. 14, SLED charged Smith with assisted suicide, assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature, pointing and presenting a firearm, insurance fraud, and conspiracy to commit insurance fraud. ...

Why did it take SLED 10 days to charge CES? Coordinate "facts" with AM?

... Two days later, Alex Murdaugh turned himself after warrants were obtained for charges of insurance fraud, conspiracy to commit insurance fraud and falsifying a police report. ...

Gee, how convenient, AM shows up 12 days after his roadside drama, looking hearty and hale, long enough for his "gunshot wound to the head" (entrance/exit wounds, fractured skull and two brain bleeds!) to completely heal up - not even shaved hair or a band-aid!

... Talking to reporters after the hearing, Harpootlian said Smith was Murdaugh’s drug dealer for about a decade. ...

Aside from pending charges, records show CES's only prior offenses were ancient traffic tickets. All those traffic tickets but he was somehow never busted for drugs. LOL

... Smith has had no prior charges related to drug use. However, on Sept. 14, Smith was charged in Colleton County with distribution of methamphetamine and possession of marijuana. Warrants said the drugs were found when police executed a search warrant on his home in Walterboro. ...

We know LE never plant drugs. Especially in ultra-high-profile cases.

Meanwhile, back in the real world -

If you're suddenly on the wrong legal side of a Murdaugh and you're an alleged "drug dealer", wouldn't the first thing you'd do is get rid of all drugs from your house before the cops show up?

NO doubt in my mind CES was set up.

Last edited:
I agree, I don’t get their deep dive into 2 former high school baseball players unless they are connected to these murders. If it’s as reported so far, one may be a timeline witness at best.
I guess it all depends on what they talked about...nothing much out of ordinary just talking or did PM possible give this other boy an idea of why he would be outside or going outside?

The key phrase used that I zoned in on is BG talked to PM "shortly before" he died. I think it's quite possible that young man could shed more light on circumstances than just helping with the timeline of death. AJMO and I'm intrigued by this news.

I guess it all depends on what they talked about...nothing much out of ordinary just talking or did PM possible give this other boy an idea of why he would be outside or going outside?

The key phrase used that I zoned in on is BG talked to PM "shortly before" he died. I think it's quite possible that young man could shed more light on circumstances than just helping with the timeline of death. AJMO and I'm intrigued by this news.
Speculation here… perhaps it was BG’s dog(s) in the kennel and PM on the phone w BG talking about the dog. Perhaps PM was asked to send a photo of the dog to the owner, and that photo may not have been sent due to unfortunate circumstances. MOO

Yes I remember the “speculating” and I still don’t think it happened. I went back and looked yesterday, thread 4. There was no link and the poster suggested creative googling. Since there has been absolutely no mention what so ever from anyone other then 1 person here that a groundskeeper/farm hand was involved in a dispute, I’ll wait for a link.

I'm certainly no expert here, but this reeks of cartel-based stuff - People don't get family members blown away in executions by simple folks in the USA, I mean, hasn't anybody seen Ozark here? Or am I crazy and thinking too much?
Your post made me smile. I said yesterday, to my husband, "That case reminds me of Ozark!"

I'm certainly no expert here, but this reeks of cartel-based stuff - People don't get family members blown away in executions by simple folks in the USA, I mean, hasn't anybody seen Ozark here? Or am I crazy and thinking too much?

Rhoden family (8) in Ohio killed by another (related) family. Blame initially pushed to "Cartels".

Rhoden family (8) in Ohio killed by another (related) family. Blame initially pushed to "Cartels".

Horrible! All of those eight family members killed over the killers wanting sole custody of a child. It is hard for us perhaps to believe families would do such heinous things to other family members…but… MOO.

That's pretty bad indeed, but here's what I think - Alex was running that dead guy's smuggling areas for some type of organized criminals, cartels or not, but he obviously F'ed something up (Probably the media attention his youngest was getting etc), or lost a LOT of money (Thieves, extortion, you name it), and I think someone was showing him he better get his *advertiser censored* together - Either that, or some other "family" has taken over the operation and he got the raw end.

I live in a small town as well, but my god - This is all just way too weird for just some normal type of back-country townie stuff... JMO

From first glance, It would appear that a major Law Firm or Lawyer could launder a great deal of money
Without attracting attention and deflecting attention if someone noticed something. Lawyers associate
professionally with the most powerful people as well as the scum of the earth, learning skills from both.

From first glance, It would appear that a major Law Firm or Lawyer could launder a great deal of money
Without attracting attention and deflecting attention if someone noticed something. Lawyers associate
professionally with the most powerful people as well as the scum of the earth, learning skills from both.
A BIG BINGO!

Speculation here… perhaps it was BG’s dog(s) in the kennel and PM on the phone w BG talking about the dog. Perhaps PM was asked to send a photo of the dog to the owner, and that photo may not have been sent due to unfortunate circumstances. MOO
Did the G's keep dogs in the M's kennels at Moselle? I hadn't ever heard this.

Also, I know it's been reported that the M's and the G's were next door neighbors when they lived on Holly St. The M's sold their house there and more recently the G's also sold theirs. Are they still neighbors at Moselle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly