SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Paul’s daddy don’t look like Boss Hogg,” said an older resident of Hampton who did not want to be identified by name, “but that’s who he is.”

Snip

‘The Murdaughs aren’t happy about their sudden notoriety. The family barred a Post reporter from entering the Murdaugh law firm in Hampton — only 65 miles but a world away from chic Charleston — last week before briefly sending out a lawyer who refused to say if Alex Murdaugh had official representation or comment.

“When you get so used to controlling the narrative and everyone around you for so long, you’re not prepared for this kind of scrutiny from the outside,” Todd Proctor, a former South Carolina Highway Patrol detective who investigated a death he believes may be connected to the Murdaugh family, told The Post. (No member of the family was ever charged or considered a formal suspect.)

“This is all new to them.”

Inside the toxic Murdaugh family of South Carolina

IMO, the best thing for the community, the Murdaugh family, and the reputation of the LE and legal community in that area…would be to treat this case, in all ways, as any other murder case in the area would be handled.

Perhaps that’s being done. Perhaps in time, when all is revealed, we will understand the necessity for the decisions being made. I hope so.

Very interesting article about AM's personal injury law firm and how it affects the residents of Hampton County.

Perhaps LE should look at some of AM's pending litigation for possible suspects as well ?

Home Court Advantage

Or past litigation.

Larger Call "1-800-Sue-Them" type firms can file 1,500 cases a year. Of course, relatively smaller firms probably file considerably less. There is another aspect regarding relatively smaller firms that maybe important:

As a personal injury attorney told me at a Bar B Que, the large firms do not usually actively try to collect damages (at least not in Texas, where actively collecting lawsuit damages from most people in very difficult).

Rather, large firms rely on sheer volume of cases to generate enough easy money from insurance pay outs and "go away" type money that is voluntarily- well some what voluntarily, offered up by the lawsuit targets.

But... smaller firms might not have enough volume to generate enough "easy money" to sustain themselves.

Thus, smaller firms are more likely to actively try to collect damage awards from targets beyond insurance pay outs and smaller, "go away" type settlements.

Needless to say, this can generate alot of personal animosity if the target is a small business or an individual.

Last edited:
Very interesting article about AM's personal injury law firm and how it affects the residents of Hampton County.?

Home Court Advantage

It looks like the firm in question is a larger one.

This could make actively trying to collect damages less likely.

At the same time, the article states that the firm as whole had 7o or so local targets requesting jury trials.

My impression is that the vast majority of personal injury lawsuits are settled before trial via the easy money insurance pay outs or "go away" type settlements

The fact that the article notes that 70 locals were requesting jury trials at the time the article was written- to say nothing of past cases, might indicate that the firm does actively seek money beyond the easy settlements.

Then factor in that lawyers in large 1-800 Sue Them firms can operate pretty autonomously. So, whether the victim was actively collecting damages from smaller targets can be another matter from the firm as a whole.

Stone's statement is likely in response to questions his office is fielding about when/if he plans to recuse his office from this case.

"To my knowledge, there is no clear suspect in this case at this time. As such, speculation about the propriety of my office’s involvement is precisely that – speculation.

Additionally, S.C. Attorney General’s Office spokesman Robert Kittle recently told The Island Packet newspaper, “Until the investigation is complete, any decision on a prosecutor is premature. No one has been charged yet so there’s no one to prosecute.”

That was not the situation when I recused my office in the aftermath of the 2019 boating crash for which Paul Murdaugh was eventually charged. In that case, it was immediately apparent Mr. Murdaugh would be a suspect, that his father owned the boat in which those involved were travelling and that other passengers were related to employees of my office. Thus, any comparison of these cases simply is not apt."

"Hog Bosses" can be intimidating. I think I'd keep my mouth shut until ALL investigation is completed for fear of being sued.

I wonder if AM has police protection or bodyguards until the perp(s) are arrested.
He certainly should as it sounds like he was just minutes away from becoming a dead body himself.

"Hog Bosses" can be intimidating. I think I'd keep my mouth shut until ALL investigation is completed for fear of being sued.

I wonder if AM has police protection or bodyguards until the perp(s) are arrested.
He certainly should as it sounds like he was just minutes away from becoming a dead body himself.

BBM

The killer(s) might have gotten too close to the property and the dogs started barking, prompting PM/MM to go out and investigate. Perhaps breaking into the house after bedtime and taking out the entire family was the original plan.

From what I understand, if a killer has killed their intended victim(s) there is no threat to the general public (serial killer or random killings) meaning they likely suspect or know who did this. IMO

That does make sense…
altho IMO a murderer who’s hoping to evade LE is always a threat to the public… but I guess they don’t want to warn unless specific

I am thinking perps.

One of the articles mentioned that the weapons used were a shot gun and a semi automatic rifle (usually referring to an AR-15 clone). Two weapons and especially two "long guns" increases the possibility of more than one assailant.

“Paul’s daddy don’t look like Boss Hogg,” said an older resident of Hampton who did not want to be identified by name, “but that’s who he is.”

Snip

‘The Murdaughs aren’t happy about their sudden notoriety. The family barred a Post reporter from entering the Murdaugh law firm in Hampton — only 65 miles but a world away from chic Charleston — last week before briefly sending out a lawyer who refused to say if Alex Murdaugh had official representation or comment.

“When you get so used to controlling the narrative and everyone around you for so long, you’re not prepared for this kind of scrutiny from the outside,” Todd Proctor, a former South Carolina Highway Patrol detective who investigated a death he believes may be connected to the Murdaugh family, told The Post. (No member of the family was ever charged or considered a formal suspect.)

“This is all new to them.”

Inside the toxic Murdaugh family of South Carolina

Most attorneys and law firm(s) don't speak to the media on any case, even a minor case. Not surprising AM firm keeping quiet. Most likely firm policy before this incident.

It looks like the firm in question is a larger one.

This could make actively trying to collect damages less likely.

At the same time, the article states that the firm as whole had 7o or so local targets requesting jury trials.

My impression is that the vast majority of personal injury lawsuits are settled before trial via the easy money insurance pay outs or "go away" type settlements

The fact that the article notes that 70 locals were requesting jury trials at the time the article was written- to say nothing of past cases, might indicate that the firm does actively seek money beyond the easy settlements.

Then factor in that lawyers in large 1-800 Sue Them firms can operate pretty autonomously. So, whether the victim was actively collecting damages from smaller targets can be another matter from the firm as a whole.

Lawyers also "file" request(s) for jury trial(s) in PI cases to move the settlement along, just filing a request for jury trial doesn't mean these cases were actually going to trial. My guess is if the firm had an excellent track record in court, most insurance companies would want to settle rather than risk losing in a trial. With that being said, I agree looking at present and past client(s) could be beneficial in this case. Many PI client(s) value their cases well above the actual "reality" settlement and PI attorney(s) normally take 1/3 fee and reimbursement of advanced costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth