SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note that public records can only be shared and discussed regarding victims and suspects/POIs in criminal cases here on Websleuths. Public records involving victim Margaret Murdaugh are permitted because she is a victim of a crime, and only the initials of another party who has not been named as a suspect/POI have been used, as the above post was careful to do. THANKS!

Just a note that public records can only be shared and discussed regarding victims and suspects/POIs in criminal cases here on Websleuths. Public records involving victim Margaret Murdaugh are permitted because she is a victim of a crime, and only the initials of another party who has not been named as a suspect/POI have been used, as the above post was careful to do. THANKS!
Whew!! I hoped I did that correctly.

Because it's public record I can share the Hampton County properties (and there are a lot of them) were transferred from AM to Maggie in I believe 2017. She was not party to the civil lawsuit...now that she has passed (and I'm assuming there's an estate involved) how the civil suit goes may be even more important, jmo.

Why would that be? The defendants are the father and brother, both still alive. Her estate likely goes to one or the other. Or both.

Why would that be? The defendants are the father and brother, both still alive. Her estate likely goes to one or the other. Or both.

I presume it is because with Maggie dead, the property would go to her estate, which likely includes her husband and/or surviving son. Now all of the property would be exposed to the civil suit.

Right, but before her death the assets were in her name, now that she has passed they will be distributed according to her will. If the two defendents are named beneficiary then the assets go to them - fair game for a civil lawsuit.

The deaths have no effect at all on the civil lawsuit. If the “family fortune” was at risk from a civil lawsuit a week ago, it is equally at risk today.

I apologize for not having a link handy but I could have sworn I read a quote from an official - prosecutor? in an article that said now that Paul was dead the lawsuit would not proceed.

Right, but before her death the assets were in her name, now that she has passed they will be distributed according to her will. If the two defendents are named beneficiary then the assets go to them - fair game for a civil lawsuit.

But these are wealthy people and my understanding is that principle homes are not subject to attachment. This transfer can’t matter much at all in terms of A’s total assets. And note that the transfer to M occurred well before the accident so wasn’t in response to the suit.

I'm still mulling over the fact that two different firearms were used in the killings. What circumstances could have led to this, other than the obvious likelihood that there were 2 different killers?

I presume that the entire family, and most people they know, were familiar with shooting and likely had firearms, right? (Sorry, I'm Canadian, and I don't know many people who own firearms, but I presume that since this family had a hunting lodge, and since firearms are fairly common in SC, that this would be the case?)

But these are wealthy people and my understanding is that principle homes are not subject to attachment. This transfer can’t matter much at all in terms of A’s total assets. And note that the transfer to M occurred well before the accident so wasn’t in response to the suit.
I didn't say the transfer was in response to the law suit, just that the assets that were protected because they weren't in A's name may very well be back in his name due to the estate. These are not primary homes, they are 1000s of acres and tracts of land moved from A's name to Maggie's.

Here is the location of 4147 Moselle Rd, where the shootings occurred. Media reports indicate that there were two houses on the property, a one-story and a two-story house. Unfortunately there is no Google Streetview on Moselle Rd. but I'm guessing the 2 houses are just a bit further north up the road at the next laneway.

Google Maps

I'm still mulling over the fact that two different firearms were used in the killings. What circumstances could have led to this, other than the obvious likelihood that there were 2 different killers?

I presume that the entire family, and most people they know, were familiar with shooting and likely had firearms, right? (Sorry, I'm Canadian, and I don't know many people who own firearms, but I presume that since this family had a hunting lodge, and since firearms are fairly common in SC, that this would be the case?)

Other than a home invasion situation, which strikes me as unlikely given the "no threat to the public," the easiest way to imagine this, for me, is one family member shooting another, and then a third party, family or not, shooting the first. Or crazier still, the two victims shooting each other.

A view of the Murdaugh property.

01MurdaughDeathsColletonDM.jpg

(ETA: not sure why the image won't show up. It shows up in the preview.)

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252022183.html

The victims bodies were found near the dog kennels.
Were the dogs there at the time? Would they have barked and alerted the victims if a stranger approached?

ETA: Adding a quote from the above article:

DO AUTHORITIES HAVE ANY SUSPECTS?
Crosby refused to answer.

HAS ANYONE BEEN ARRESTED?
No one has been taken into custody, arrested or charged in the shootings, Crosby said.

WAS THERE ANY SURVEILLANCE VIDEO ON THE PROPERTY?
Crosby refused to answer.

Last edited:
Other than a home invasion situation, which strikes me as unlikely given the "no threat to the public," the easiest way to imagine this, for me, is one family member shooting another, and then a third party, family or not, shooting the first. Or crazier still, the two victims shooting each other.

This is my theory as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member