SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were AM, I'd fake puking and passing out so I could be promptly removed from the courtroom.

AM does seem to go for dramatic (to put it lightly) actions to detract from him being under the microscope.

I wonder if tomorrow there will be a trial delay because we hear that AM was badly beaten in jail, or some misfortune meets a close family member, or...?

(I'm not making light of it. I'm actually a little worried about him orchestrating something else to put a halt to things.)

MOO.

The civil suit would continue and if that went to trial, as that's where it was headed after the failed mediation on June 4, 2021, 3 days before the murders of MM and PM. A trial in the wrongful death suit would bring up the financials and he was on borrowed time as to getting misappropriated monies back where they belonged before he was discovered. When his law firm's CFO spoke with him on June 7, the day of the murders, he knew his financial misdeeds had been discovered and he was basically out of time to get loans to cover the missing money. He also knew, IMO, that the discovery of the missing money would trigger a forensic audit and his previous misappropriations of funds would be brought to light. He was between a rock and a hard place.

meo

So like others have said, just buying time.....It's just incomprehensible that a father would kill his own son just to buy time. If it canceled that civil trial altogether, I would get it. Surely there was some other type of tragedy he could have concocted other than blowing his kid's head off. I mean, we can't understand the thought process of someone so sick that they'd hire someone to shoot them, but I'd still like to.

Part of what I am enjoying about this trial is hearing Judge Newman. It is so interesting to me to hear his legal thinking. He has a very ordered mind and seems to be so careful in his opinions and specific words. I have so much respect for him! MOO.

ASIDE: I hesitated to use the word “enjoy” as how can one enjoy an event — the trial — that is the result of two human beings being brutally murdered. The other part of “enjoyment” is watching the process of justice in our country.
Agreed. However, there's a sense of satisfaction in seeking justice for victims (silenced forever) ... advocacy for the victims in the criminal justice system. I couldn't help but sense that Ms. S felt relief (don't want to say happiness) when speaking about their findings because she truly believes in doing the right thing... there were many victims of AM. imo imo, and two lost their lives, and way too many lost their life savings. Loved ones, others, and strangers trusted him... moo. He threw it all away... for what? Just wow...

Part of what I am enjoying about this trial is hearing Judge Newman. It is so interesting to me to hear his legal thinking. He has a very ordered mind and seems to be so careful in his opinions and specific words. I have so much respect for him! MOO.

ASIDE: I hesitated to use the word “enjoy” as how can one enjoy an event — the trial — that is the result of two human beings being brutally murdered. The other part of “enjoyment” is watching the process of justice in our country.
I recall how impressed I was with him during Samantha Josephsons trial; and he continues on.

100% agree. So calm and incisive. Great judge.

What I got from this morning is that AM was doing pretty good without the theft. Good enough for that Outdoor Life fantasy amusement park and a beach pad anyway. I’m still struggling to find a motive as I believe he had a decent chance of this money stuff getting good ole boy’d.

AM does seem to go for dramatic (to put it lightly) actions to detract from him being under the microscope.

I wonder if tomorrow there will be a trial delay because we hear that AM was badly beaten in jail, or some misfortune meets a close family member, or...?

(I'm not making light of it. I'm actually a little worried about him orchestrating something else to put a halt to things.)

MOO.
Choking on a chicken bone at lunch, just suggesting since the options to hurt oneself is getting slim. The reality of it is the lives he took and other's he robbed, just gets you under the skin.

I wonder if AM's father ever knew about Maggie and Paul? I can't help but think that his passing, and if Maggie and Paul hadn't died, AM would have been given some time relief, but I don't think it would have stopped AM.

So like others have said, just buying time.....It's just incomprehensible that a father would kill his own son just to buy time. If it canceled that civil trial altogether, I would get it. Surely there was some other type of tragedy he could have concocted other than blowing his kid's head off. I mean, we can't understand the thought process of someone so sick that they'd hire someone to shoot them, but I'd still like to.
I think this is why we are so riveted by this. We can't get in to the mind of such a diabolical mind to do these horrible things. Especially seeing the lighthearted, seemingly happy family those last days. Paul certainly didn't seem concerned about the boating accident and what he was facing. He wasn't even talking with his friends about it. I can't wait for Maggie's sister and brother in law to testify. JMO

Has anyone pointed out the irony of the name "Forge" for a fake company? The real Forge company might entertain a re-brand.

Also, AM is a manipulator. Any thing he does publicly (by that I mean with anyone other than himself) is theater. It is crafted to send a specific message for a specific purpose. In the parlance of my brother-in-law, he is a "Look Good." He is the personification of "bless your heart," which does NOT mean bless your heart most of the time.

The happy family videos, the good 'ol boy gladhanding, and southern charm are manipulations. The "suicide attempt" was a desperate manipulation. Using his father's health to avoid consequences was a manipulation. And, oh so horrifically, MM and PM's deaths were manipulations. It is his MO. It has no value to me to use his good guy and family man behavior to imply he is incapable of murder. If you planned to kill your family members, would you be hostile to them publicly in the build-up? I still think he was capable of dysfunctionally loving MM and PM, and decided that the life up ahead for them facing these consequences was not worth living, and their murder was accomplishing multiple goals of stalling accountability- with them, forever, and with others for a while so he can cook up his next manipulation.

His private self was coming to light and that would be the end of his ability to manipulate. And it is all he knows how to do.

Of course, all my opinion.

And, since I'm feeling sassy, I'd also like to point out, is Cousin Eddie the guy you pick to shoot at your head, whether you plan to die or not?

Has anyone pointed out the irony of the name "Forge" for a fake company? The real Forge company might entertain a re-brand.

Also, AM is a manipulator. Any thing he does publicly (by that I mean with anyone other than himself) is theater. It is crafted to send a specific message for a specific purpose. In the parlance of my brother-in-law, he is a "Look Good." He is the personification of "bless your heart," which does NOT mean bless your heart most of the time.

The happy family videos, the good 'ol boy gladhanding, and southern charm are manipulations. The "suicide attempt" was a desperate manipulation. Using his father's health to avoid consequences was a manipulation. And, oh so horrifically, MM and PM's deaths were manipulations. It is his MO. It has no value to me to use his good guy and family man behavior to imply he is incapable of murder. If you planned to kill your family members, would you be hostile to them publicly in the build-up? I still think he was capable of dysfunctionally loving MM and PM, and decided that the life up ahead for them facing these consequences was not worth living, and their murder was accomplishing multiple goals of stalling accountability- with them, forever, and with others for a while so he can cook up his next manipulation.

His private self was coming to light and that would be the end of his ability to manipulate. And it is all he knows how to do.

And, since I'm feeling sassy, I'd also like to point out, is Cousin Eddie the guy you pick to shoot at your head, whether you plan to die or not?
Love this! Please share more of your thoughts with us!

Could someone explain to me like I'm 5 how all of his financial misdeeds relate to motive to kill his son? That boat case was a civil case against him, Alex, correct? Wouldn't it still go on if his son was dead?
PM was being charged with felonies so that part was not civil case.

IMO, These financial crimes have relevance because firstly AM himself brought the boat case into it. In that case, the court, had been asking for a very long while for AM to produce his financials. The day of the murders was the first time AM was pointedly asked by the CFO of the law firm, where's the money? AM knew the tide was turning at that point, IMO. He didn't have the money to replace what he took. If PM was gone the lawsuit would continue but under much less of a spotlight. AM probably could have settled (maybe with help from his friends) like BM just did, and got rid of that spotlight into his finances. Who knows, his law firm may have handled his dismissal and reparations needed differently also, to keep up appearances? Just some thoughts, AJMO

Haha! Just needs one little "r" at the end, doesn't it.

The murder of PM also canceled an upcoming trial for him on Felony charges. A Grand Jury had indicted him in April.

Murdaugh was indicted and charged with three felony counts of boating under the influence, including boating under the influence resulting in death, which carries a penalty of up to 25 years in prison by South Carolina law. He had pleaded not guilty to all charges and was waiting a trial date at the time of his homicide.

AM was sinking. He was sinking FAST .

Enter the fatal boating accident.
Not only did that reflect badly on the Murdaugh family, it brought a liability , both financially and socially.
AM was overwhelmed and PM was causing him some extra burden.

PM was needing to go.
AM was the also funneling funds into MMs account. I assume if she were to become aware she TOO was way too much of a risk.

AMOO
She (MM) had also requested a forensic accounting, IIRC. Plus, their properties were in Maggie’s name. He was about to be exposed. But as probable heir to MM’s estate (and we haven't heard about any potential life insurance), he may have been hoping to dig his way out of the hole he’d dug with PMPED, thus saving his career, legacy, social standing, reputation and pride. Who knows how much he felt pressure to uphold the “family name” in the Lowcountry. Plus, who knows what other issues he was juggling. JMO.

What is his point? That AM is a thief, has been for a long time, but the firm should have known sooner? Relevant why?
I didn’t mean what is the point of the in camera hearing. I get that. I meant what was the point of the defense’s cross examination Q’s for the PMPED CFO.

This testimony is an on camera hearing in case the Judge rules it in the jury will have access by video and/or transcript. IINM

I’m not a lawyer, but I think this is what’s going on.
The term is actually “in camera” which in court just means it is a discussion etc held in private, usually in a judge’s chambers.
The defense is objecting to the prosecution bringing in AM’s financial misdeeds as possible motive because it would be prejudicial to AM showing his prior bad acts. The judge let some of it in yesterday, but needed to hear what other testimony might be before he rules on it all. So this witness testified without the jury, so the judge could hear it and decide. If he allows it in, this witness will have to testify again in front of the jury.
Just my opinion, but I think the judge will let it in, but not allow redundant testimony, that would prolong the trial or seem like piling in the defendant.

Chief financial officer at legal heir's former law firm says he gave her 'a very dirty look' when confronted about missing money on day of killings

By ANDREA CAVALLIER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 00:41 AEDT, 3 February 2023 | UPDATED: 05:30 AEDT, 3 February 2023

Prosecutor Waters: 'The state's intent is not to try 100 white-collar cases in the context of this murder case.' It's to explain 'what was going on in his life that was all coming to a head on June 7.'

The in-camera hearing on the financial crimes will continue later today or another day, Judge Newman said.

On the day of the murders, Seckinger went to Murdaugh's office and confronted him about the missing money and demanded proof.

'[Alex] was leaning on a file cabinet outside his office, and he turned to look at me as I came up and said, 'What do you need now?' and gave me a very dirty look,' recalled Seckinger.

'We went in the office and closed the door, and I told him I had reason to believe he received the funds himself and that I needed proof that he had not.'

But Alex then got a phone call about his dad being in the hospital with a terminal diagnosis and things changed.

'That changed the mood of that conversation,' Seckinger said. 'We quit talking about business.'

An investigation was conducted and after a meeting in September 3, 2021, where the partners determined Alex had stolen. His brother Randy, who is also a law partner, agree and they confronted Alex.

He confessed and Seckinger said they made Alex resign.

Just speculating about something that leads me to believe that AM already had it in mind to eliminate Maggie as a means to protect their money and property from the wrongful death suit. A fail safe if the situation became necessary. It's the paper found with Maggie's will that had her sister's name crossed out and Murdaugh Sr.'s name written in that I'm thinking about. If AM wrote this intending for Murdaugh Sr. to put the proceeds of the will into an untouchable trust upon Maggie's death, it would keep the estate intact. Upon her death, it could have been signed and dated and notarized with a date previous to her death. I am not saying there any notaries that would put their seal on such a document nor am I saying AM's father would be a party to this. I don't know how hard it would be to forge a notary seal and I don't know if in South Carolina a change like that would require notarization.

The sudden illness and hospitalization of Murdough Sr on the 7th was a shock and I don't believe AM expected him to pass. IMO he thought he would recover and be able to probate the will. He hadn't thought far enough ahead to create a fail safe for his fail safe.

IMO it was the visit with the CFO that day that tripped the fail safe switch.

MOO, JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member