SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
24 January 2023 – A judge approved the settlement agreement in the wrongful death lawsuit brought against the Murdaugh family by the Beach family.
^^rsbm
The settlement agreement was NOT for all Murdaugh family. The agreement was only between the Beach family and the Estate of MM. They also dropped the suit against Buster.

Hey, all!

Here's a timeline.

8 July 2015 – Stephen Smith, 19, was found dead in the middle of a road in Hampton County, South Carolina. The openly gay teenager had suffered blunt force trauma to the head and his death was officially ruled a hit-and-run. His family doubted this version of events, and the Murdaugh name cropped up in several police tips and community rumours.

2 February 2018 – The Murdaughs’ long-term housekeeper Gloria Satterfield died in a mysterious trip and fall at the family home. Satterfield, who worked for the family for more than 20 years, was found at the bottom of some stairs. She never resumed consciousness and died from her injuries on 26 February.

24 February 2019 – Paul, then 19, was allegedly drunk driving the family’s boat when it crashed, throwing him and his friends overboard. The body of Mallory Beach, 19, washed up on the shore around a week later.

18 April 2019 – Paul was charged with three felonies over Beach’s death including boating under the influence. He was facing up to 25 years in prison. Beach’s family also filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Murdaughs.

7 June 2021 – Maggie and Paul were shot dead at the family’s sprawling estate in Islandton. Maggie was shot five times with an automatic rifle and Paul was shot twice – once in the head and once in the chest – with a shotgun. Mr Murdaugh made a dramatic 911 call at 10.07pm claiming he had returned home from visiting his elderly mother to find their bodies.

17 June 2021 – Mr Murdaugh’s brothers Randy Murdaugh IV and John Marvin Murdaugh appeared on Good Morning America insisting their brother was not involved in the murders.

22 June 2021 – SLED announced that it was reopening an investigation into Smith’s death, based on information gathered during its investigation into Maggie and Paul’s murders.

22 July 2021 – Investigators released the 911 call made by Mr Murdaugh on the night of the murders. In the call, he is heard sobbing as he tells the dispatcher “it’s bad” and “my wife and child have been shot badly”. Mr Murdaugh also tells the dispatcher that he hasn’t seen anyone on the property.

3 September 2021 – Mr Murdaugh was confronted by the partners at his law firm PMPED after they discovered he was allegedly misappropriating millions of dollars of clients’ funds. He was forced to resign.

4 September 2021 – Mr Murdaugh was shot on the side of a road in Hampton County. He survived and called 911, claiming he was ambushed in a drive-by shooting while he was changing a tyre on his vehicle. He was treated at a hospital for a “superficial gunshot wound to the head”.

5 September 2021 – Mr Murdaugh entered rehab, announcing he was struggling with a 20-year opioid addiction and that he had resigned from his law firm PMPED.

13 September 2021 – Mr Murdaugh confessed to police that he had orchestrated his own shooting as part of a botched hitman plot. He said he paid Curtis Smith, 62 – a former client, distant cousin and allegedly Mr Murdaugh’s drug dealer – to shoot and kill him in an assisted suicide plot so that his surviving son Buster could get a $10m life insurance windfall. The two men were arrested and charged but Mr Murdaugh was allowed to be released on bond to return to rehab. SLED also opened an investigation into allegations that Mr Murdaugh had been misappropriating funds from his law firm.

15 September 2021 – SLED announced it was reopening an investigation into Satterfield’s 2018 death.

14 October 2021 – Mr Murdaugh was released from rehab only to be dramatically arrested on charges of stealing funds from Satterfield’s family. The family had reached a wrongful death settlement with Mr Murdaugh but said they didn’t receive a dime. They filed a lawsuit against Mr Murdaugh claiming he pocketed the money.

19 November 2021 – Mr Murdaugh was charged with almost 30 counts over the Satterfield wrongful death settlement.

3 June 2022 – SLED announced that it was planning to exhume Satterfield’s body.

12 July 2022 – The Murdaugh family was notified that Mr Murdaugh would be charged with Maggie and Paul’s murders. The same day, Mr Murdaugh was disbarred from practicing law in South Carolina by the state’s Supreme Court.

14 July 2022 – Mr Murdaugh was charged with the murders of Maggie and Paul – two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.

20 July 2022 – Mr Murdaugh appeared in court on the murder charges where he pleaded not guilty.

22 November 2022 – Russell Laffitte, former Palmetto State Bank CEO, was convicted of financial fraud charges in connection to Mr Murdaugh’s alleged white collar fraud schemes.

23 January 2023 – Mr Murdaugh’s murder trial began in Colleton County Courthouse with jury selection. Opening arguments began two days later. By this time, Mr Murdaugh was also facing more than 100 other criminal charges over the suicide hitman plot and the alleged white collar fraud scheme where he is accused of stealing more than $8m from clients. He is also facing several civil suits.

24 January 2023 – A judge approved the settlement agreement in the wrongful death lawsuit brought against the Murdaugh family by the Beach family.

Thank you! It is helpful to read that timeline. I hope the prosecution uses something like that as some point if they can find a way to do it!
I find it so odd that Maggie’s parents and sister are on the defense witness list.

Defense Only List
223. Buster Murdaugh
224. John Marvin Murdaugh
225. Liz Murdaugh
226. Kennedy Branstetter
227. Terry Branstetter
228. Marian Branstetter
I am a bit confused about this. I thought her sister's last name is Proctor and she's on the "state/both" list and so is her husband. Not sure who #228 is.

Interesting

Here’s what happened in week three of the Alex Murdaugh murder trial​

WALTERBORO, S.C. (WCSC) - Week three of the Alex Murdaugh murder trial had lots of talk about his financial misdeeds, loud objections and a bomb threat.

Murdaugh has been on trial for the June 7, 2021, killings of his 52-year-old wife, Maggie; and their 22-year-old son, Paul.

As the trial stretched to 15 days this week, prosecutors say they think they’ll rest their case Wednesday and allow the defense to call witnesses.

Murdaugh attorney Dick Harpootlian estimated their case would take about a week.

Ps to all. So I would like to ‘eat crow’ on one point I made a few days back. About the video posted showing a drooping sapling being examined by the defendant.

I had pondered whether it appeared to have been scarred or rutted by deer. It actually might have been headlights from a vehicle cast across the trunk in the darkening skies.

I am not a hunter nor knowledgeable about hunting or time or season for deer to run or rut. But if one was examining those trees or the property for deer or other damage, it could give opportunity to have weapons about too?

And for reference, as to my ‘hunting‘ knowledge or skills. There is an old adage I’ve heard. Apply it to me: ‘If I am out hunting the animals need not worry, but other hunters should’.
Around 9:45 on this video

AM talks about he and PM doing some target practice when they were riding around looking at those trees

Thank you! It is helpful to read that timeline. I hope the prosecution uses something like that as some point if they can find a way to do it!

I am a bit confused about this. I thought her sister's last name is Proctor and she's on the "state/both" list and so is her husband. Not sure who #228 is.

There is at least 1 timeline that was placed in evidence #60, so the jury has seen in and it will go back with them. It was published by CTV

Yes. Such an unlikeable family. A woman who worked for them for 2 decades and barely anyone cared (except AM who must have been giddy with the immediate thought of a lawsuit). AM stealing money from her children! Knowing she worked for them for 20 yrs at $10/hr, it’s likely these boys had a modest upbringing (except when it came to being parented with morals and character, it’s clear they were very rich).

Leaving their clothes laying around for somebody to pick up after them. Leaving dirty dishes to be picked up. Like a bunch of teenage boys, except two of the four were parents.
IMO EXCELLENT POST !! NAILED IT !!

It was brought up several times questioning witnesses about entrances into Moselle and who used what entrance (two were discussed).

What do you suppose this is about? Secretly, I’m hoping for a video of this nailing a timeline.

I do wonder why Buster hasn't kept Bubba. It's really the only thing left of his family. Personally I would fight tooth and nail to keep my family pet under these circumstances.

Another question I have. If Maggie consulted with a divorce attorney and hired one wouldn't there be some type of financial record of that? Also, does attorney client privilege carry on after the client dies? I am just thinking that if there was an attorney meeting that it would be known for sure at this point. JMO
If she visited an attorney and hired one she could have paid for the consultation in cash. She may have paid as little as $1 to establish an attorney/client relationship which does survive after the death of the client. The only way attorney/client privilege would not apply would be if she had a very close friend go with her and sit in on the consultation.

There would be no way to determine if she consulted one or who that attorney might be unless someone not associated with that attorney or the attorney's office were to see her entering the offices and put 2 and 2 together. Even then you couldn't really be sure she was going to consult about a divorce.
moo

I find it so odd that Maggie’s parents and sister are on the defense witness list.

Defense Only List
223. Buster Murdaugh
224. John Marvin Murdaugh
225. Liz Murdaugh
226. Kennedy Branstetter
227. Terry Branstetter
228. Marian Branstetter
Just a hunch…but maybe to confirm that AM stayed with them after the murders? Wasn’t he also meeting them in the Keys a month after the murders when Paul’s friend was taking him to the airport and AM told him he wanted to clear Paul’s name and have the boat crash gone?

You know…the family man…DH’s mantra that hasn’t worked out so well for him

This is a link to the witness list and thought I would post it again.

Morgan Doughty, Paul's exgf, is listed as a witness for the prosecution. Would she have insights about Alex's treatment of Paul and/or Maggie from her years of dating him? She even went on vacations with their family.

Hey, all!

Here's a timeline.

8 July 2015 – Stephen Smith, 19, was found dead in the middle of a road in Hampton County, South Carolina. The openly gay teenager had suffered blunt force trauma to the head and his death was officially ruled a hit-and-run. His family doubted this version of events, and the Murdaugh name cropped up in several police tips and community rumours.

Not only did the Murdaugh name pop up in tips and rumors, Randy Murdaugh was actually on the scene and got to go through the crime tape. Hours later, according to Stephen's twin sister, the second call her father got after the coroner was Randy Murdaugh offering his services for free. Either Randy is the literal epitome of the ambulance chasing lawyer stereotype or something is weird as all heck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop