SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Court is back in session.

We have resumed the fight over whether the 2021 Labor Day roadside shooting/assisted suicide/staged shooting/insurance fraud scheme should be admitted as evidence in this murder trial. Prosecutor Creighton Waters is up saying it shows Alex Murdaugh's "consciousness of guilt.”

Waters on what previous witnesses have testified about their reaction to the September 2021 shooting: “The initial reaction was, ‘Oh my gosh, the real killers are back. The bad guys are back. Now they’re targeting Alex.’” Community rallied around AM, just as it did after 6/7/21

“We’re not here to try to litigate what happened on the side of the road in its entirety,” Waters says. He thinks it could take an hour for a law enforcement agent to explain on the witness stand. "It would be a very focused presentation just to get from Point A to Point B.”

Harpootlian counters that the Labor Day weekend shooting wasn’t evidence of a guilty conscious about the 6/7/21 murders. It came three months later, and just a day after Murdaugh was confronted about his financial crimes and pushed out of his law firm.

The roadside shooting is about the financial crimes, Harpootlian argues. “We’re here to try a murder.”

Waters: The state’s focus is not the shooting itself. It’s about how AM lied about it and made it seem like he was the victim of a drive-by shooting by an unknown assailant. Waters says that is part of AM's pattern of self-victimizing.

In a rare evidentiary win for the defense, Judge Clifton Newman rules the roadside shooting is inadmissible: “The financial evidence was allowed on the issue of motive. This evidence, I find, goes beyond motive or is not evidence of motive, but more toward common scheme or plan.”

Newman continues: "It does not survive the logical relevancy test. And it goes more toward showing propensity to commit violent acts, which would cause it not to survive (Rule) 403 analysis. I believe that to allow this evidence is a bridge too far.”

Newman continued: "Going down this path and allowing essentially any and all evidence in.” Newman says he could change his mind, but at this time, he does not see a reason to let in the roadside shooting.

Great news from Judge Newman: The jurors were tested again this morning for COVID-19, and they all tested NEGATIVE. Huge. The show goes on!

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like Judge Newman is going to allow
Correct.

In a rare evidentiary win for the defense, Judge Clifton Newman rules the roadside shooting is inadmissible: “The financial evidence was allowed on the issue of motive. This evidence, I find, goes beyond motive or is not evidence of motive, but more toward common scheme or plan.”

Newman continues: "It does not survive the logical relevancy test. And it goes more toward showing propensity to commit violent acts, which would cause it not to survive (Rule) 403 analysis. I believe that to allow this evidence is a bridge too far.”

Newman continued: "Going down this path and allowing essentially any and all evidence in.” Newman says he could change his mind, but at this time, he does not see a reason to let in the roadside shooting.

We have resumed the fight over whether the 2021 Labor Day roadside shooting/assisted suicide/staged shooting/insurance fraud scheme should be admitted as evidence in this murder trial. Prosecutor Creighton Waters is up saying it shows Alex Murdaugh's "consciousness of guilt.”

Waters on what previous witnesses have testified about their reaction to the September 2021 shooting: “The initial reaction was, ‘Oh my gosh, the real killers are back. The bad guys are back. Now they’re targeting Alex.’” Community rallied around AM, just as it did after 6/7/21

“We’re not here to try to litigate what happened on the side of the road in its entirety,” Waters says. He thinks it could take an hour for a law enforcement agent to explain on the witness stand. "It would be a very focused presentation just to get from Point A to Point B.”

Harpootlian counters that the Labor Day weekend shooting wasn’t evidence of a guilty conscious about the 6/7/21 murders. It came three months later, and just a day after Murdaugh was confronted about his financial crimes and pushed out of his law firm.

The roadside shooting is about the financial crimes, Harpootlian argues. “We’re here to try a murder.”

Waters: The state’s focus is not the shooting itself. It’s about how AM lied about it and made it seem like he was the victim of a drive-by shooting by an unknown assailant. Waters says that is part of AM's pattern of self-victimizing.

Great news from Judge Newman: The jurors were tested again this morning for COVID-19, and they all tested NEGATIVE. Huge. The show goes on!
I trust Judge Newman on his rulings. He seems so wise and fair to me. MOO.

How can he go from "lovey dovey" and a great father to a double murderer? I know he is a SOB and crook but I am struggling to believe he had nerve enough to do it. He couldn't even off himself! Anyone else thinking it was a drug dealer(s) who pulled the triggers and made him watch? I think he is too scared to admit it for fear of retaliation on him and Buster. JMO

Judge Newman sentencing a murderer for committing a horrible heinous crime. He kidnapped and killed college student Samantha Josephson after she mistakenly got in his car thinking he was her Lyft driver.

I especially like when JN tells him that there is no perfect crime at 13:40

I really like Judge Newman. I think he's done a fantastic job and when the appeal happens, he has no worries. At around the 16 minute mark, the murderer is taken out of the courtroom. Judge Newman addresses the spectators and court personnel about why he let the defendant have contact with his family during trial. I had those questions during this trial. Why was AM allowed to speak to his family. Judge Newman gives his thoughts on his why for the trial we watch in this clip. I appreciate his explanation.

It's all good and as the Judge said " At this time" ...Ebb and Flow.

I'm more confused now about this trial than before it started. But it seems to me that if you knew you had less protection, why add murder to your list of crimes? Why not turn to MM for help? No one was more loyal to and protective of AM than Maggie, according to all the witnesses I've heard. Even with all his financial crimes, AM should have known his whole family would have rallied around him. The proof of that is how so many of his friends and family are supportive of him even now, on trial for murdering his wife and son. Only MT seems to have any courage to speak badly of him without any reservations. Why is Maggie's sister reluctant to wave an accusatory finger at him in court? Why is she hedging her bets? There are just too many whys in this case and it's driving me crazy.

Oh, I get your dilemma Kembo, I can't figure either how he got from 'I'm in so much trouble with all the stolen money' to 'let me add double murder of my own family to the list'. Especially when they are all at the kennel after an apparently pleasant late afternoon/meal/early evening. From the video's audio nothing terrible is happening, no arguing, strife, etc., but within 5 minutes of that video being shot, so are both Paul and Maggie. How did he get from point A ("C'mere Bubba!") to B (grabs a shotgun and shoots his son and another to shoot his wife)? Not having that answer is going to drive me batty for a long while.

The state is making an issue of AM trying to show that “the bad guys are back” when it was their own LE that told us there were no bad guys to worry about from the start.

So Eddie will not testify?? Doesn't sound like it. Of course RUMOR has it that he would testify that AM confessed to the murder. And so it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState