SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question on the timing of the murders. WE know the boat case had a hearing later that week. We know Alex requested this line of credit increase just a few days before. We know the day of he asked for info about his 401K. We know he found out his dad was dying that day also. Was there some benefit to him to have Maggie and Paul dead before his dad died? We know Maggie was fond of Alex's dad. Was Maggie and/or Paul in Alex dads will? Would them being dead leave those assets to Alex instead of them?
IMO:

IANAL, but I suppose that if the elder Murdaugh had a standard division of his heritable property, AM would have received a large amount. I think it's possible that in many states, that would then be treated as community property (monies coming to one partner in the marriage while still married, divided equally upon divorce - as with retirement funds, etc).

But I don't know. Maybe someone knowledgeable about this aspect will weigh in - I bet it's been discussed here before. You make a very good point. If he realized his dad truly was dying, then he didn't have time to divorce and he wanted ALL of his half. Even if it was eventually not considered community property, Maggie could surely have tied him up in court over it for a long time.

What an amazing web of intertwining reasons for him to murder his family (Buster is lucky to have gotten out alive). We see almost every one of the Big Red Flags that research shows are related to family annihilation triggers.

It looks like dinner was about ~8:20ish to 8:30ish. Fast eaters!

So how long did he actually spend with Paul riding around?
Alec didn’t get home until 6:42pm.
Paul got there about 7:04pm?

So from 7:04ish to 8:15? The “goodbye Paul” ride. :(

Snapchat tree video sent out at 7:56, was taken before that time.

Was this witness entered late and how was the defense notified?
This may have been answered already? GM notified the Prosecution over the weekend, past they had gotten the info off of Alex's Suburban. No reason why they did not get it last year when asked. Mr. Waters thinks someone watching the show may have been responsible for getting the ball rolling? Is what I remember being said Monday morning.

It looks like dinner was about ~8:20ish to 8:30ish. Fast eaters!

So how long did he actually spend with Paul riding around?
Alec didn’t get home until 6:42pm.
Paul got there about 7:04pm?

So from 7:04ish to 8:15? The “goodbye Paul” ride. :(

It's so weird that he did that, but criminal psychology creates these weird situations. Some bizarre wish to make his son's last hour fun or distracting. Time with Good Old Dad.

It's like a horror movie. It's a slow moving version of The Shining, but with guns.

JMO.

The amount of info coming from the car is astounding. I had no idea that it recorded such data. I want to see any other possible text with Russel, Cory and Eddie.

Does anyone know why this witness was added late?

IMO:

IANAL, but I suppose that if the elder Murdaugh had a standard division of his heritable property, AM would have received a large amount. I think it's possible that in many states, that would then be treated as community property (monies coming to one partner in the marriage while still married, divided equally upon divorce - as with retirement funds, etc).

But I don't know. Maybe someone knowledgeable about this aspect will weigh in - I bet it's been discussed here before. You make a very good point. If he realized his dad truly was dying, then he didn't have time to divorce and he wanted ALL of his half. Even if it was eventually not considered community property, Maggie could surely have tied him up in court over it for a long time.

What an amazing web of intertwining reasons for him to murder his family (Buster is lucky to have gotten out alive). We see almost every one of the Big Red Flags that research shows are related to family annihilation triggers.
After posting I thought of something else. I doubt his dad had anything going to Alex or Paul because of the boat case. I'd be willing to bet that he had that will changed because of the pending boat case and any money going to Alex or Paul would be possibly taken in this case. I recall Maggie having things in her name that couldn't be taken in a settlement over the boat case. Maybe this isn't what happened, but this family is all lawyers and smart about hiding/moving/working money to benefit them.

After posting I thought of something else. I doubt his dad had anything going to Alex or Paul because of the boat case. I'd be willing to bet that he had that will changed because of the pending boat case and any money going to Alex or Paul would be possibly taken in this case. I recall Maggie having things in her name that couldn't be taken in a settlement over the boat case. Maybe this isn't what happened, but this family is all lawyers and smart about hiding/moving/working money to benefit them.

Excellent point, imo.

IMO:

Inheritance is not community property, so whatever he inherited from his dad would have been all his. More than likely, though, the inheritance would have gone to Alex’s mother, and he would inherit when she died.

IMO:

Earlier, @Seattle1 posted that S.C. is not a community property state, but is instead an “equitable division of property“ state.
Post in thread 'SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18'
SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

I think AM pretty much counted on the shield of invincibility that his generational family heritage gave him. In his mind, nobody would really investigate because of the strong family influence in the area. (It may have shielded or protected them in the past from other suspicious deaths. IMO.) And I think the family influence did buy him time because I think LE was still deferential to a point. As a lawyer, he knew that he would be a "suspect" from being the husband/dad, as well as being the ones to report the deaths. But, he figured he wouldn't be thoroughly investigated and probably thought that tossing out ideas like retaliation for boat death/accident would be good enough to keep it in the SODDI/nebulous "bad guy" territory forever and ever.

I think the only thing the defense can reasonably argue at this point is that LE overlooked a lot of stuff/didn't test certain things/made more allowances (lots of people at Moselle the next day, for example) than might normally be given, etc.

Regardless, all the evidence points straight to AM.

Really have to wonder how many more family skeletons are in the closet, waiting either to be further/better hidden or fall out into the light of day.

MOO.

In his mind of entitlement he didn’t think an investigation would get this far. He most likely thought it wouldn’t even reach Sled. He overestimated his status in the community. Not many could pull this off in the way that he has, in large part due to the Murdaugh name.

Remember Mark Tinsley the lawyer for the Beach family told Alex that if it came to it he would sue Maggie & Paul in Beaufort County instead of Hampton where AM could rig a jury.

Was he rushing back to Moselle because he wanted to find the bodies in case someone else showed up like CB Rowe (he tried to call him)?

Maybe he realized he forgot something back at Moselle that he needed to take care of?
JMO, but I think it’s because he thought he could control the narrative that way, start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mili