SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO: But the projectile/acoustic engineer was tilted by the circumstances of the undertaking: he relied on measurements taken by a third party with some fairly crude equipment, as well as the position of the ejected casings as found and recorded by SLED to draw a conclusion about the position of the shooter....That reduced the casings that corresponded with that bullet path to (1) of (2) and that much was a pretty safe conclusion. He was applying highly accurate measuring and plotting techniques to extend in a very accurate manner from some pretty rough cut initial dimensions. The consequence of doing that is inherently suspect.
Where he pressed the boundaries was to extend that to make a determination about the physical characteristics of the shooter. In fact he demonstrated the criticality of the angular measurement of trajectory by extending (2) lines from the penetration point on the quail cage, one at 1.5 degress off horizontal and one at 3-degrees off horizontal....and quite clearly the 3-degree line at the nominal distance to the shell casings could only correspond to a shooter lying on the ground. So the 3-degree measurement was probably bogus; there was little reason to put great faith in the lower number; and that should have been the end of the discussion of that bullet path. Note he said he read the angular measurements from the SLED photographs so obviously there were at least (2) different readings. Instead he employed the 1.5 degree path to draw a conclusion about the height of the shooter....and its my opinion that that was playing outside the lines.
Also note: he could not take reliable measurements himself some 15 months after the incident: the nature of the material of the cage was such that even changes in humidity would shift the primary hole with respect to that through the hangar wall so all angular measurements would be suspect.
The shot into the dog house was actually closer to accurate because the travel distance was shorter; any variation in the measured angle of incline would result in a smaller zone of possible locations than it did in the shot that hit the quail cage.
Why the impression was ever created that there were (2) shooters is beyond me. The ballistics on shell casings defined that the casings found in that area were fired from the same weapon. So the weapon was passed hand to hand? I think the entire confusion got started when he placed (2) of his silver images on the same slide, which got hammered on cross examination like he was purporting a pair of assassins, both the same height.
He did not make shaky inferencs from the shotgun path: his conclusions were basically sound and did not raise much challenge. The whole incident is in fact more well defined: only (2) shots, the second did deplorable damage...

There were other errors in the presentation: He plotted the speed-time graph from 0 to 16 minutes, which by the On Star data should have been 9:06:50 to 9:22:37 PM. That little discrepancy caused all the fencing around with the laptop, some snippety exchanges and the associated discrediting of the rest of his analysis. This not a technical error but one of presentation clarity.

The acoustic analysis was actually pretty well done, although using the exact weapons with the exact same ammunition would have be somewhat more precise. The was probably neglible: for practical purposes the reports would not have represented a disturbance of any identifiable kind to anyone inside the house. Filtering could have been applied to the recorded sounds to isolate the frequency band associated with the reports but the point was established. Its relevance in this trial is a little tenuous in my mind.

MOO but I believe the basic issue here is that this witness tried to cover too much ground: Between projectile paths and acoustics and the flight path of the cell phone the defense would probably have been better served if they had spread the assignments to some additional parties or pursued corroboration for some of the key points here.

IMHO of course....

I understand that most people think AM is guilty and I pretty much agree, however, I’m still hung up on his seemingly love for his family. I do think he loved all of them and I think he was very dedicated as a father, so obviously murdering them in the way that he did (gruesome) goes against this thought. I don’t know, I’ve never had a massive drug problem or have been in financial ruin so it’s probably hard for me to understand the psyche behind such horrific actions. It’s perplexing to me. Side note: Harpootlian is an *advertiser censored*
I think it's impossible for a normal person to every fully comprehend the mind of a killer. Whether that be a parent that kills a child during child abuse, a rapist who grabs an innocent jogger off the street, and yes, even a family annihilator.

Their minds are not like ours, they don't operate the same way. I stopped trying to figure out the 'why' of it a long time ago, and focused on raising awareness against domestic violence, child abuse and other issues. Education is the only way to address this issue IMO.

MOO

I truly believe Alex thinks he can get on that stand, shed his crocodile tears, sling some snot, and convince those 12 jurors that he is just a good ole' boy, who loved his family, worked hard and then those evil drugs made him do some terrible things. BUT, there is no way, no how, not possible that could ever hurt his beloved Maggie or Little Detective Paul.

He has probably been in his cell practicing his testimony every day since the trial started. He's a con man of the worst kind (delusional in his own mind), and those types of con men don't change.

IMO

#Justice4Maggie&Paul

I watched the first two episodes of the Netflix show tonight. (In Australia)

There were a few new snippets, (to me at least), especially from Paul's ex girlfriend, and the other boat crash victims.

The Murdaugh family do not come out of it well at all.

The Low Country looks very beautiful, and you better believe that tonight I am thinking with a Low Country accent. (Replacing my broad Australian one)

I can't believe that DH behaved so badly in court with that gun. That was disgraceful, but probably reflects his demoralization/frustration at the trial's progress. The defence has been underwhelming so far IMO.

I know it's unlikely, but I'd love to see AM testify. To satisfy any doubts held by anyone at all, straight from that ole dog's mouth!

In the hearing, DH asserts that in AM's criminal case, they can't do depositions and can only rely on the indictment when arguing the boat case should have a stay until after the criminal murder trial. Tinsley also makes some notable points about why MM and PM were added to the boat case. It appears that MM talked to PM at midnight on the night of the crash and she knew then how intoxicated PM was during the phone call.

FULL HEARING: Boat Crash Civil Court Case 8/10/22​

ETA: more on depositions

Last edited:
I am in the minority here, but that might serve a purpose as to how one or more jurors may be thinking.

IMO, too much that we have heard about this case or has been implied in evidence is exaggerated. Growing up, the women in my family spent the summer months at the beach and the husbands drove down for weekends. This is not indicative of a failing marriage.

MM was at baseball games with him, in boats, making birthday cakes. Not wanting to come back to Moselle was an inconvenience because she had just left there, having spent Sunday night. The ‘fishy’ comment never came in.

If my husbands Father were dying, I could understand him not wanting to be alone. This is why MP encouraged her to go. That’s a pretty solid reason so I don’t consider that ‘luring.’

The part about MM only having $57 in her account. As another stay-at-home wife, I have a personal account that could look the same at times…but my name is on joint accounts as well. But like MM, my husband pays the bills so I don’t deal much with them. But a lawsuit like they were facing would terrify me, as it did MM. I don’t think she was worried about money in the moment, but in the future.

I do believe AM loves his family. Their entire lives for decades seem to be built around her family and his…with great affection. i think that long history has made it hard for even MP to believe AM would so violently kill his wife and son.

I also believe that BM believes in his Dad’s innocence. So what can he have been told that we don’t know…to support that belief? I do think AM will testify and we will hear that story.

Right now, I believe that AM was either the killer or knows who the killers were. I believe there are huge secrets in this case that would explain a lot…centered on drugs and money. Without those secrets exposed, there is too much exaggeration of parking spaces, alleged divorce lawyers, luring phone calls.

Hope he's not going to fake cry again. (if he does testify)
In my view, I have only seen real tears when He feels sad, when He feel hurt or the loss of a friendship he valued, but Not for his wife or son, who I believe he murdered. HIs smiling at the Jury or laughing at a joke is macabre under these circumstances. If he were any kind of parent, he would never be able to get overt the sight of his dead son. MOO

My personal opinion is that the defense wants the jury to believe “it’s the addiction that’s making him make these bad decisions", stealing from everyone he knew, that he’s not inherently a bad person, he is not capable of killing his family . I’m not saying that the opioids were not a part of his life but they are making ridiculous claims such as 50k/week on drugs. It will be interesting to see if defense brings forth doctors to verify that he actually went through withdrawls, etc. He created some elaborate schemes, seemed to be functioning quite well, if he were taking the amount of drugs that the defense is alleging, that would be impossible. MOO
It sets up an excuse, and therefore prepping to argue against the Death Penalty(if it even is used in SC), if he is found guilty.
There is No Excuse for the heinous crimes he committed. MOO

I think it's impossible for a normal person to every fully comprehend the mind of a killer. Whether that be a parent that kills a child during child abuse, a rapist who grabs an innocent jogger off the street, and yes, even a family annihilator.

Their minds are not like ours, they don't operate the same way. I stopped trying to figure out the 'why' of it a long time ago, and focused on raising awareness against domestic violence, child abuse and other issues. Education is the only way to address this issue IMO.

MOO

This is also why it is hard to deconstruct the crime scene staging

We tend to assume there must have been a fully rational and consistent plan whereas often there is chaos and the killer makes mistakes, changes plan and improvises.

I am in the minority here, but that might serve a purpose as to how one or more jurors may be thinking.

IMO, too much that we have heard about this case or has been implied in evidence is exaggerated. Growing up, the women in my family spent the summer months at the beach and the husbands drove down for weekends. This is not indicative of a failing marriage.

MM was at baseball games with him, in boats, making birthday cakes. Not wanting to come back to Moselle was an inconvenience because she had just left there, having spent Sunday night. The ‘fishy’ comment never came in.

If my husbands Father were dying, I could understand him not wanting to be alone. This is why MP encouraged her to go. That’s a pretty solid reason so I don’t consider that ‘luring.’

The part about MM only having $57 in her account. As another stay-at-home wife, I have a personal account that could look the same at times…but my name is on joint accounts as well. But like MM, my husband pays the bills so I don’t deal much with them. But a lawsuit like they were facing would terrify me, as it did MM. I don’t think she was worried about money in the moment, but in the future.

I do believe AM loves his family. Their entire lives for decades seem to be built around her family and his…with great affection. i think that long history has made it hard for even MP to believe AM would so violently kill his wife and son.

I also believe that BM believes in his Dad’s innocence. So what can he have been told that we don’t know…to support that belief? I do think AM will testify and we will hear that story.

Right now, I believe that AM was either the killer or knows who the killers were. I believe there are huge secrets in this case that would explain a lot…centered on drugs and money. Without those secrets exposed, there is too much exaggeration of parking spaces, alleged divorce lawyers, luring phone calls.
To my knowledge, I don’t think there’s been any divorce speculation/discussion within the trial. I don’t see AM as capable of real true love although he plays the part well. The fact that he was able to treat friends like family while stealing from them presents to me as someone with no conscious, who is able to justify any action he deems necessary. How he treated people, his appearances is irrelevant to me because his actions belied all of those behaviors. It was testified my MP that AM called and asked Maggie to come to Moselle but Maggie did not want to go because of work being done on the beach house that day-she had to be talked into going. While a valid reason to ask somebody to come home, why did Alex press her to come that day? Maggie could have gone in the next few days. I don’t think that’s exaggerated or implied. I do agree spending time at different houses does not indicate trouble. Checks bouncing, credit cards being denied are indicative of financial issues, per Blanca’s testimony MM was becoming aware of possible financial strain and that AM was not being truthful with her about the money.
It sets up an excuse, and therefore prepping to argue against the Death Penalty(if it even is used in SC), if he is found guilty.
There is No Excuse for the heinous crimes he committed. MOO
The state has already taken the death penalty off the table. He is facing life in prison.

Yep. I think AM is a "charming" psychopath. (I am not a doctor nor do I play on on tv.) But, still, from reading armchair psychology articles, I would say that AM has those traits. (I am not wanting to derail the thread but just post my thought as to why he can appear affable/charming/a family man yet also still be guilty of heinous crimes.) IMO.

I agree. Charming Narcissist, able to con most, Psychopathy in so many ways as well, Plus no Character, Morals, Ethics. Remove him from society. MOO

To my knowledge, I don’t think there’s been any divorce speculation/discussion within the trial. I don’t see AM as capable of real true love although he plays the part well. The fact that he was able to treat friends like family while stealing from them presents to me as someone with no conscious, who is able to justify any action he deems necessary. How he treated people, his appearances is irrelevant to me because his actions belied all of those behaviors. It was testified my MP that AM called and asked Maggie to come to Moselle but Maggie did not want to go because of work being done on the beach house that day-she had to be talked into going. While a valid reason to ask somebody to come home, why did Alex press her to come that day? Maggie could have gone in the next few days. I don’t think that’s exaggerated or implied. I do agree spending time at different houses does not indicate trouble. Checks bouncing, credit cards being denied are indicative of financial issues, per Blanca’s testimony MM was becoming aware of possible financial strain and that AM was not being truthful with her about the money.

The state has already taken the death penalty off the table. He is facing life in prison.
Good points. But I'd like to know WHY a man making a million plus a year salary, with a trust fund, and stealing from friends and family…had money problems. To me, therein lies the real motive and a lot LOT more.

I think he stole from people he cared about because he HAD to, out of desperation. But therein lies the mystery. Where was all that money going?
I would think he did it out of greed or some mental disorder, if he actually possessed what he stole. But millions went somewhere and left him stealing, borrowing, and mortgaging.

Last edited:
I live near a county park that is near a gun range. I can hear gunfire at every point around a five-mile lake.
We hear gun fire from a great distance at night, typically on the weekend and it is not hunting. We use Nextdoor and with the help of others & can pinpoint where it’s really coming from. Usually 3 miles at most. Very residential with some
major roadways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member