VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came back on here and I don't understand how keeping the alternate juror is helpful for their deliberations. If she has to step in the others have said so much already that she has not heard and cannot weigh if that makes sense.

That won't be up to Alex, though. And it's a peculiar situation. While not yet convicted, that trust technically belongs to Maggie, who left him her entire estate. If he's found guilty of her murder, he cannot collect it. Presumably it then all goes to Buster - who is not a party to any legal action at this time.

I keep wondering how this can be - since there were claims against Alex made before he was convicted. People need to get their money back. That whole probate business mystifies me, and I really wonder how it will turn out. Doesn't seem fair if Buster gets $4-6M and the victims of Alex's crimes get nothing, as he's managed to truly hide his money from them.

IMO
There are several assets in play.

AM's father left AM money in a trust. We don't know what kind of trust this is, but likely would allow AM to draw from it with the remainder passing to Buster on AM's death. My father's will includes such trusts, for example. As far as I have read, Maggie's estate has no claim to this money. The details of this trust have not been released.

Maggie's will, apparently, left everything to AM. These assets are currently in probate. Since Maggie was specifically named in the boating lawsuits, the boating victims can sue the estate for these assets. Her estate, the boating victims, Palmetto State Bank and Buster have come to a settlement regarding Moselle. The other major asset is the Edisto Beach house in which Maggie has a 50% interest with Alex owning the other half. To my knowledge, this asset has not been resolved. Maggie was not involved, as far as we know, with Alex's thefts and her estate has no liabilities to those victims. If there is any money left after all claims are filed, whatever is left will go to AM if found not guilty or to Buster if AM found guilty. The Edisto Beach house is likely highly leveraged, so I doubt there will be much money available, and that will likely all go to lawyers.

Most of AM's financial crimes were associated with his PMPED work, and PMPED has already borrowed millions to pay the victims back. Any future claims for most financial crimes will be litigated against PMPED. Victims have also sued Bank of America for allowing the "Forge" account, and there are likely suits against Palmetto State Bank.

AM apparently does have some real estate investments, but none are fully owned by him and can be difficult to liquidate. I suspect he has borrowed heavily against all of these.

It would be frustrating, IMO, but the jurors (left standing) hung in there (haha) and did their civic duty, and shouldn't have any regrets if that's the way the cookie crumbles. JMO
I tend to believe that THIS judge would send the jury back for more deliberations to reach a consensus verdict, ESPECIALLY if they did not deliberate for a few days.

That sounds right. She went from Moselle to Edisto, then to doctor's, and was originally planning to go back to Edisto.

So this all had to be carefully scheduled so that she would not be able to return to Edisto before the Boat Trial started on June 10

This was his ONE chance to deal with them both and stop the trial.

So this all had to be carefully scheduled so that she would not be able to return to Edisto before the Boat Trial started on June 10

This was his ONE chance to deal with them both.
The boat trial wasn't going to start on June 10. On June 10 the judge was going to hear arguments on the plaintiff's motion to compel AM to turn over his financial information.

What if a juror is convinced that Ellick committed at least one of the killings, but believes another assailant was present? Does the juror still vote guilty, but only on half the counts, or….
Does anyone know how that would affect deliberations?

Fast forward 30 days. We know the verdict. AM will stay locked up no matter the outcome of this case, right? So what or who is up next? Will CW proceed with financial trial against AM? Will more come out on the GS case for a possible trial? Will more come out on the SS case for a possible trial?? Will ES be tried on his current charges and convicted, ever?? Are we done with the Murdaughs and South Carolina?? What say you??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mzrowdy