GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a stunning outcome. I never had doubts myself about his guilt but I wasn't so sure about the jurors. He lured his wife there under the pretense of visiting his parent(s) yet never seemed concerned where she was so they could ride /follow each other to their house together? He just left. Makes no sense.
Lying about the kennel, of course. So many other factors.

Maybe he was planning to kill himself too. Maybe he was planning to STAGE it to appear as if Paul shot his Mother, then himself.
There is more to this and many suspect the same. He stole a ton of money. Where did all that cash go??
Moo.
It is extremely expensive to buy narcotic pain pills illegally. I think some of his stolen money went to his addiction.
He took them for a decade. He took up to 60 a day, cost a fortune.

Reports suggest "millions of dollars" were misappropriated, and his attorney, Richard "Dick" Harpootlian, said on NBC's "TODAY" show Wednesday that the "vast majority" of the funds were used to buy opioids and that there were "checks written to drug dealers."

Last edited:
I appreciate the response! I was under the impression that the door was opened during the states case by the defense on cross of the witnesses, they asked about his character. They also asked MP about the Sept road side shooting which allowed the state to clarify that AM had confessed to arranging it. Does that change things?
This was during the states case, Judge allows Alex Murdaugh's alleged financial crimes into evidence at murder trial, a pivotal win for the prosecution

Newman had said last week that it was the defense who "opened the door" to allowing Murdaugh's financial situation to be up for review when they asked witnesses on the stand about his character and if there was any reason they could think of that Murdaugh would kill his wife and son.

"Evidence of other crimes or bad acts is necessary if it is an essential part of the crimes on trial," Newman said.
Thank you! I was looking for this and it is what I remembered.

IMO, this family were legends in their own mind with the help of intimidation, corruption and fear. Big fish in a little pond. I'm sure it will be tough to face reality that their family has been exposed nationally but to survive, sans moving, they need to humble themselves. That being said there are probably too many who are used to the good ol' boy ways of doing things and to whom have benefitted that won't want anything to change. TBD...
Wouldn't it be amazing if instead of spending money on legal fees and experts for an appeal, if someone donated that money to a group that works with victims of family gun violence, or a Joint Commission certified rehab organization like The Ashley Treatment Center in Maryland that has a program for young adults, or Gloria's Gifts. No amount of money is ever going to change our "friend" or erase his crimes of murder. MOO.

Murdaughs have always had people do their errands...farm work...housework and anything else they need. John Marvin cleaning the scene had some purpose .....agree JMM and his smile could win another award.
I'll believe JMM cleaned the scene as he described on the stand when someone more trustworthy than JMM or the only two people he said were aware of it (RM4 and Mark Ball) confirms the claim.

Where malignancy is concerned, probably always best to cut a wide margin around it, just to be safe.

MOO I don't know what BM does for a living.

Alex also wanted right away to plant the seed to SLED that the killings were related to the boat crash.

I was hoping RM would step to Buster's side to offer a fatherly shoulder but it seems RM wants nothing to do with this tragedy. JJM and Buster seemed close during the trial but they weren't together when the verdict came in so that was noted.

It is possible that shock and trauma, PTSD, has kept Buster from being able to either complete law studies or pursue gainful and fulfilling employment. Perhaps he needed for the trial to end so he could gather remaining pieces of his life and begin creating new memories without his parents and brother beside him. We expect most men to be strong Alpha Males when they're only humans.

It is my hope that with funds from selling Moselle, along with whatever generosity the M family sees fit to extend to Buster will be taken and carefully used to spend a modest but honest life near the ocean with peace. Get married. Raise a family.
I know it’s not the right setting at all to show affection but I sure wish I had seen BM holding Brooklyn’s hand. Not once did I see any sign of support - especially when walking in or leaving the courthouse. I wasn’t there - just what I saw on recordings. I think today even - Brooklyn was walking on his left side and BM had his left hand in his pocket. Just my opinion!

I agree. i also think that the amount of opiods he said he took daily is nit compatible with life. So, another "lie". Furthermore, how was he so "lucky" as to never have taken ONE PILL that was laced with something that would have landed him in the hospital or killed him. As a nurse, it makes no sense to me.
Exactly! No matter how much tolerance he had. There is just no way.

I recall it being mentioned in early news stories that Alex often hosted members of LE at the hunting lodge for hunting parties, etc. The Murdaughs didn't live there full time and sometimes allowed local LE and SLED to use the lodge and hunting grounds.
So we apply guilt of kick backs?

I've taken food, gift cards, money when LE is working crime, natural disasters in my area. My good neighbor LE, uses by beach house, as other neighbors.Several LE friends use my mountain cabin to hunt deer and coyote. Would this be considered a kick back?

I'm just not getting the "incentives".

All MOO...

Why would her rumors appear in People instead of WSJ?

Given the fact the two publications are hardly comparable, -- People Magazine-- a magazine publication mostly for entertainment purposes, and the Wall Street Journal -- an American business-focused international daily newspaper based in New York City (with international editions published in Chinese and Japanese).

Judge Newman’s address to AM and the court was beyond anything I imagined. He has such a way of expressing himself, and no surprise there was zero emotion from AM. I can’t tell you how much I admire this Judge!
IMO JN realizes this will be his legacy, and is keenly aware of the historical importance and social implications of this trial and its outcome. He alluded to both of these things in his remarks yesterday and today. He also realizes that it will change the jurors' lives forever, too, and how they must be protected. The care and concern he showed for all involved was touching. He is so relaxed, poised, thoughtful, yet so much in control. The command he had over all the proceedings was inspiring, as was he.

Think Prince, Michael Jackson, and many more.
and they're dead. NO WAY AM got 50k of pure oxy a week, took them and lived...either dollar amount is wrong, every MD in the lower 48 was writing prescriptions for him, he owned a drugstore chain, or someone was running PURE drugs from a foreign source. These could not have been drugs manufactured in someone's basement. They would have been laced with something, in this new world of fentanyl kicks. In my mind, the next trials should address this. It makes no sense. He wasnt a movie star with fawning sycophants doing his bidding to obtain controlled substances. Just my common sense opinion.

IMO, this WSJ reporter that allegedly cozied up to the local podcasters collecting info and now has a book about the Murdaugh saga coming out soon (Ballantine/Penguin Random House), is responsible for many of the rumors published in PEOPLE and elsewhere about MM that never materialized including conversations about "AM acting fishy," and divorce attorney and forensic accountant consults-- all by unnamed sources. IMO, the rumors make for better storytelling about this tragic saga and even better book sales. MOO

ETA: I understand she repeats the rumors in the Netflix 3-part series.

I'll make sure to share this information with anyone who asks about the book. I was wondering where all the unfounded rumors came from. A LOT of the information included in the local news media and magazines like People ended up being false. Very unprofessional.

Thank you! I was looking for this and it is what I remembered.
Thank you too, another article, I think this is when Newman asked to listen to the $$ testimony without the jury

“The witness was asked whether he could think of any reason … why Mr. Murdaugh would commit the crimes he's accused of committing,” Newman said. “That, in effect, turned the cross-examination of that witness from dealing with specific issues in the case to having that witness testify as a character witness for Mr. Murdaugh.”

Citing questions about whether Murdaugh had been a loving father and good provider, Newman said that “in the court’s view, that opened the door for the state to respond by asking questions as the state did.”
In his ruling on Thursday, Judge Newman said the questions about Alex’s finances from the prosecution were permitted. A criminal procedure rule typically does not allow evidence about someone’s bad character to be introduced, but the judge said it was permitted here because prosecutors were trying to rebut evidence that the defense had already raised.

“The defense in the case has primarily been that the defendant has such a great character that he could not possibly have committed these offenses,” Newman said. “That's been a general thread from the opening statement throughout.”

Newman also chided Alex’s defense team for objecting on the basis that the question to Loving was “totally improper,” saying there was no legal basis for any such objection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member