SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
agree but they then move to the next phase of having formed an opinion (which many had) and the big question can you set that all aside. But the issue with James was not knowledge it was a personal relationship with LE who seemed to be involved in the case. I am not certain of the extent of his involvement and assume that was explored to the satisfaction of both sides. I do think a simple statement by jurors is fine but I think the more James talks he may be not helping out himself or fellow jurors. You have a defense team watching every move they make.
A defense team that was fine with James serving on the jury.

Yes, they were limited. I'm weird and make spreadsheets for all of the trials I follow and these are my notes.

The defense got 10 strikes for the main panel and the prosecution got 5. For alternates, the defense got 12 strikes and the prosecution got 6. The main panel had been seated by the time they got to Juror 530 (James) and the defense still had 9 alternate strikes left when they agreed to him.
@Gardenista not weird at all. I appreciate your excellent notes. I wish I followed through like you :)

He and Alex both attended the University of South Carolina Law School and worked at their family's personal injury firm — Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick — together but were not particularly close.

"It’s not like there was some problem with our relationship, necessarily," Randy told the Times. "We just really weren’t alike, so we didn’t do stuff together."
distance....distance....distance

He and Alex both attended the University of South Carolina Law School and worked at their family's personal injury firm — Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick — together but were not particularly close.

"It’s not like there was some problem with our relationship, necessarily," Randy told the Times. "We just really weren’t alike, so we didn’t do stuff together."
The family dynamics interest me.

It does appear true RM3 and AM weren’t alike in select ways. RM4 appears more intelligent and much more self-disciplined than AM is (AM appears to have a more cunning and socially-dependent type of intelligence and substitutes chumminess and bullying for self-discipline, depending on whether he is dealing with friends or subordinates). Given these differences, it’s interesting to me that it was AM who served as Assistant Volunteer Solicitor with his father, who’d served in that role with his own father before becoming Solicitor himself. Perhaps it is because AM had only sons while RM4 had only daughters, and RM3 valued that and saw that as the way to continue the family’s legacy in the law enforcement and practicing of law there. (I do find it interesting that Alex and Maggie named THEIR sons after Alex and after MM’s father, rather than after RM3 and wonder why.). Or, maybe RM3 was more like AM or could more easily manipulate him, so could better relate to or even favored him. Those who better know the family would have to be the tellers of such things.

But RM4 and AM were very much alike in their early formation and vocation. They shared and benefitted from the Murdaugh multi-generational family history, they each had some kind of son-to-father relationship with RM3 up to the date of the murders and three days beyond, and they both profitably practiced law (or for AM, what passed as law) at the family law firm established two generations before them (where RM3 also practiced).

They were also alike in other ways - they both owned and spent time at hunting properties separate from their primary homes (AM did until selling the Hampton home), they enjoyed outdoor recreation typical of men in the Low-Country, incl. keeping the land, hunting and dogs, and they both drank socially (as some of the boat victims reported RM4 and his wife were doing at the oyster roast the victims attended the night they died).

I hope more is told of this family and their history, and not just by those allegiant to serving the family’s interests regardless of impact upon others. Wish Pat Conroy was alive to do the telling, but it appears there are others also up to the task.

My understanding is the firm did have procedures in place that allowed them to have control over settlement money. However, AM didn't follow the procedures. Big shock.....AM didn't think the rules applied to him.
thank you. but that still doesnt explain how the employee responsible for overseeing the law firm's authorized holding account didnt see the settlement money wasnt there initially?

I have thought about this quite a bit and wondered how it is possible that AM, who seemed to always be thinking ahead on how he can benefit financially, did NOT have life insurance policies on MM or PM. Doesn’t that seem odd knowing what we know about him?

After the guilty verdict, I went back and started rereading the threads and do recall reports of life insurance on both MM and PM. Apparently, this report was inaccurate.
Yes, this should have been brought up by the defense. The motive was based on his shady financials. Moo...

Thanks listened to a bit of it...a bit hard to follow. What is striking to me having been involved in 2 jury selections and seen a few others and know that a case can be won/lost during jury selection this was different. I heard no attorneys questioning the jurors in such a major murder case. I guess this is the way it is done in SC but seems odd. Mostly group questioning by the judge. It was clearly a challenge to get some that could be fair as I think almost all admitted to hearing about the case.
It's the way it's done in most of California too. And many other places. Tons of studies over the past 25 years on a fast track jury process.

We have fewer successful appeals now and more convictions. We're able to keep moving cases quickly (average length of trial is now 3-8 days even in major felony cases). I've seen criminal defense attorneys, employees of LE agencies (but not uniformed officers), professors in fields such as alcohol/drug studies or criminal justice get seated in cases dealing with alcohol or drugs. On and on. Wives of LE, etc., all seated.

And the key thing is that jurors need to be honest on the questionnaire (which asks about such things as jury nullification and whether one has read a lot about the crime in question). But even saying one believes in jury nullification doesn't mean a person will be booted - it depends on the trial and the lawyers involved. It's crucial that jurors agree that they will be just. Some people say "No, I can't." And the judge dismisses them (neither side has to give up one of their challenges). Any version of "No, I can't" such as "I always believe what police say; I think police are always right if it's to the point where someone has been arrested" results in being removed (and it's fairly uncommon).

At any rate, my county got a federal grant to experiment with this system about 20 years ago. Now, the results from that grant (which was given to many different counties in many states) are well known. A commitment to justice is more important than who your relatives may be, in selecting jurors.

And I'll reiterate that we've had some high profile cases (that were appealed), but so far, not one murder conviction has been overturned. The woman who killed her two little boys to get even with her physician husband for having affairs (which isn't clear that he did) is still in prison for life. The woman who killed her abusive husband and lied and said it was a stranger who broke in and did it, and then switched to a self-defense defense has gotten 25 years to life and is still in prison (her little boy, now basically an orphan, is still orchestrating appeals - he's now 20 years old). She has served 12 years already.

The judges I've interviewed about these changes say that, for them, it means fewer trials because defendants plead out. Many (about half) of plea bargains take place after jury selection, with many of those on the same day as the jury is seated. Judges say the psychological impact of seeing 12 of one's peers actually staring at them across the courtroom, ready to pass judgment is huge. While many criminals avoid being around "regular citizens," they now see that they are about to be adjudicated by people who are not all their own age, their own sex, their own ethnicity, their own socioeconomic class.

IMO and IME.

thank you. but that still doesnt explain how the employee responsible for overseeing the law firm's authorized holding account didnt see the settlement money wasnt there initially?
Also doesn’t explain how the fake Forge ended up on the accounts payable vendor list. A typical internal accounting control is that new vendors must have proper approval before being added. (ETA: A lesser, but still effective control is that someone reviews all new vendors added on a regular basis.) Fake “Forge” appears to have bypassed any such controls and one would think the attempted addition of it would have caught the red flag of similar sounding name to a legitimate vendor.

The family dynamics interest me.

It does appear true RM3 and AM weren’t alike in select ways. RM4 appears more intelligent and much more self-disciplined than AM is (AM appears to have a more cunning and socially-dependent type of intelligence and substitutes chumminess and bullying for self-discipline, depending on whether he is dealing with friends or subordinates).
I think birth order dynamics play a role in this too - jmo.

While we all know that LM is the oldest of the family, I think it's more important to look at the birth order of the Murdaugh sons and the traits that the birth orders tend to have, because - imo - women were thought of as afterthoughts in the Murdaugh family.

RM4 (first born son) - tend to be goal oriented, outspoken, independent and perfectionists.

AM (middle born son) - tend to be social butterflies, competetive, rebellious, adaptable and great negotiaters.

JMM (last born son) - tend to be outgoing, dependent, charming, easy going and spoiled.

MOO - but I think the Murdaugh brothers very much seem to follow their birth order traits.

I agree so much more will be revealed regarding the finances and/or other nefarious activity. here's what baffles me: it is incredulous that the law firm did not have ONE account only where settlement money would be held in trust and then disbursed to the client....that AM and/or other lawyers were allowed to deposit settlement money outside of the control of the law firm. doesnt anyone else find that odd there were no controls within the law firm to keep track of how settlements were disbursed?
it does sort of defy credibility that all of the partners never engaged on some not so ethical diversion of funds. Not all of the partners testified and probably have been over the last couple of years making sure their books look good.

I can actually see this and often in families this is the case. Not a dislike, but just more of a connection between some siblings than others. I don't know much about Randy and it seems more is said about JMM and Paul was closer to JMM.. he seemed to be a fixer as others have said. Maybe because he wasn't a lawyer, Alex felt more comfortable round him. If I was stealing from my law firm that my brother was also part of, I might distance myself from that brother also. You know so not to accidently say something that was off. JMM wouldn't have a clue about their law firm happenings, but Randy sure would.

I don't know much about Randy and it seems more is said about JMM and Paul was closer to JMM.. he seemed to be a fixer as others have said. Maybe because he wasn't a lawyer Paul felt more comfortable round him.
I think JMM and PM bonded over their feelings of being the so-called black sheep of the family but in different generations.
JMM not following the family career path into law and PM also not wanting to follow the family law career path. MOO.

I agree so much more will be revealed regarding the finances and/or other nefarious activity. here's what baffles me: it is incredulous that the law firm did not have ONE account only where settlement money would be held in trust and then disbursed to the client....that AM and/or other lawyers were allowed to deposit settlement money outside of the control of the law firm. doesnt anyone else find that odd there were no controls within the law firm to keep track of how settlements were disbursed?
One person he worked with on some cases(can't remember his name) that he went to Law School with, and called him his best friend-he cried during testimony said that His policy after receiving monies after a friendly verdict, He put that money into a Separate holding Account(can't remember what kind) for a time, until he was sure that all the I's were dotted and T's crossed. AM messed with him, and He is sad and Furious. That's the only one I know about for sure, but what about the Other company(the Real one) which AM diverted money from into his Fake account, partial same name... MOO

Chad McDowell (sp) testified early on in the trial. He is the brother of James. James disclosed this was asked later and said that his brother does very well separating his work from private life.Brother came home to say there was a double homicide and saw the scene. That is very interesting for sure. He testified on body cam. Most screening of jurors took place in chambers for more questions.

Thanks listened to a bit of it...a bit hard to follow. What is striking to me having been involved in 2 jury selections and seen a few others and know that a case can be won/lost during jury selection this was different. I heard no attorneys questioning the jurors in such a major murder case. I guess this is the way it is done in SC but seems odd. Mostly group questioning by the judge. It was clearly a challenge to get some that could be fair as I think almost all admitted to hearing about the case.
Today, potential jurors complete and return a questionnaire in advance of the jury selection date which I think eliminates much discussion during voir dire. The questions on the questionnaire are also a joint decision by the parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fake_facer_addict