SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AM says he lied about GS's fall. Not surprised he lied!

Called it long ago after reading my own homeowner's policy and now AM's confirmed he lied: -- dog accidents are essentially a slam-dunk insurance settlement and quick payout.

I recall the Beach's attorney (Mark) testifying where he referenced the same paragraph (see Personal Liability: Negligence) and also opined dogs most likely AM's version of the event.

Also, it doesn't follow the dogs would be up at the house and out loose when the residents were still in bed or asleep. JMO

The man is being sued and would risk prison (more time for him) if he commits perjury.

That said, it is sad that it will jeopardize the settlements her sons received. If it was an accident and she did while go to work, then they would have gotten some financial relief from her workman's comp. Now, it seems like entities will come back to these motherless young men possibly to renegotiate the settlement.

AM is a bottom feeder who will harm anyone to get something for himself or his favored family members.

I wish he would never see the outside of prison walls again.

Called it long ago after reading my own homeowner's policy and now AM's confirmed he lied: -- dog accidents are essentially a slam-dunk insurance settlement and quick payout.

I recall the Beach's attorney (Mark) testifying where he referenced the same paragraph (see Personal Liability: Negligence) and also opined dogs most likely AM's version of the event.

Also, it doesn't follow the dogs would be up at the house and out loose when the residents were still in bed or asleep. JMO
I wonder how she did fall then. I was reading the comments at the end of the article and quite a few blamed Paul because he had a violent temper. Doubtful anybody will ever know for sure.

Hearing back in session. For background, original agreement with receivership and Murdaugh's attorneys was for $600K from Murdaugh 401(K) liquidation, ≈ $400K rest went into escrow. Jim Griffin now asking for access to $160K extra for Murdaugh's appeal of his conviction.

Griffin believes Murdaugh has a Constitutional 6th Amendment right (legal counsel of choice) to access these "legitimate, untainted funds." Griffin admits that's the question — if retirement funds are untainted. He believes they are. Also believes Receivers wrong to dispute.

Griffin says Murdaugh still owns the assets (even though they're in court control), and he asks judge to release them pursuant to Murdaugh's Constitutional rights. Griffin also says receivership attorneys are mistaken in arguing Griffin et al agreed to never ask for more money.

Jordan Crapps for receivership replying. He says no Constitutional question here, cites precedent holding 6th Amendment choice of counsel doesn't apply to appeals. Motion is fatally flawed, argument could end right there.

Crapps goes on to say SCOTUS has never recognized 6th Amendment choice of counsel, just that defendants on appeal have right to an attorney.

Judge Hall boils it down: This comes down to who pays, Murdaugh with money that's still technically his, or the taxpayer. (He adds he won't rule today, but wants to hear more discussion).
@ABCNews4

Crapps: Issue of tainted funds is moot. Receivership has control over funds, and Murdaugh has consented / relented to this via past actions & agreements. Believes there's no 6th Amendment issue. Agreement in October 2022 for $600K amounts to waiver of Constitutional claims.

Attorney John T. Lay now speaking for receivership. Wants context added. Court of equity issue. Mission is to put everybody on equal footing for claims against Murdaugh knowing funds recovered won't be enough to cover everyone fully. Action on these claims (divvying money) soon.

Lay: If we give Murdaugh more money now, he's essentially getting ahead of other claimants (including Eric Bland / Satterfield). Lay wants to prevent that, says it's in the spirit of receivership NOT to let one claim get ahead of others.

Eric Bland says it would be Murdaugh stealing more money if allowed to skip to the front of the line. His own judgement agreed to in Sattefield case predates it anyway. Adds funds from 401(k) are absolutely tainted. Mark Tinsely agrees, says Murdaugh should not get preference.

Judge Hall backtracks, says it was inappropriate for him to suggest the black and white dichotomy of Murdaugh using his own money vs. using taxpayer money to pay for appeal. Improper to speculate where money would come from at this point.
1:50 PM · May 3, 2023 PT

AM is the nightmare that just won't go away. He's a lying liar that lies, so how can the Judge or anyone take anything he says as truthful.

It's disgusting, he's disgusting and once again he is causing as much anguish and confusion as possible.

MOO

I've always believed that she was pushed. You don't trip over dogs walking up stairs.
This makes the most sense of all. AM claimed he wasn't there, MM's tone of voice on the 911 call was so uncaring. Why? And Paul? Did Bubba live in the house? Gosh, I can't remember. Whatever, I agree with you -- she was pushed. For $4 million dollars.

I've always believed that she was pushed. You don't trip over dogs walking up stairs.
Yeah, especially dogs that weren't even there according to AM now. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if AM did this for the $$$.

If you can kill your wife and son, a housekeeper and supposed family friend isn't much of a stretch.

MOO

Seems EB believes it was the dogs, and AM is lying, again.

Gloria didn't remember which is why I think it was either a medical episode or she was hit going down and, she lost consciousness. JMO

ETA: EB is doing a press conference on Monday, no details on time yet.
What's that saying? You can tell ____ (AM in this case) is lying when their lips are moving. Hah

MOO

IMO: EB is worried about his clients loosing their settlement and/ or his loosing legal fees. Exhuming GS and/ or bringing up this case again has got to be very upsetting for the family and I do think EB cares about those boys.

EB is taking his position on dogs because it better serves his clients, IMHO. I think that is probably appropriate for him to do so, but personally, I don’t think there were any dogs involved. IMO the victim was pushed.

MOO.

IMO: EB is worried about his clients loosing their settlement and/ or his loosing legal fees. Exhuming GS and/ or bringing up this case again has got to be very upsetting for the family and I do think EB cares about those boys.

EB is taking his position on dogs because it better serves his clients, IMHO. I think that is probably appropriate for him to do so, but personally, I don’t think there were any dogs involved. IMO the victim was pushed.

MOO.

The money those boys eventually got did NOT come from Nautilus. Alec took that money. The money that Bland & Richter recovered for them was from other parties such as Palmetto State Bank, Cory Fleming's law firm, Fleming's firm's legal malpractice insurance company, Chad Westendorf, etc.

"Lawyers for the Satterfield family have recovered more than $7.5 million for their clients from other parties involved with Murdaugh’s scheme to take the settlement money himself.

However, none of that money came directly from Nautilus, the attorneys argued.

“ 'There’s a signed settlement agreement in which Nautilus Insurance Company agrees to pay the Satterfields $3.8 million,' Richter said. 'That did not happen. That payment was intercepted by Alex Murdaugh and stolen.' "

Sad trombone sound < womp womp >

Alex Murdaugh can't use more 401(k) funds to pay for murder appeal, judge rules​

HAMPTON COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) —
A South Carolina judge on Friday denied Alex Murdaugh's request to dip back into a pool of protected funds he hoped to use to pay legal costs for a pending appeal of his murder conviction.

Judge Daniel Hall in a ruling Friday afternoon ordered Murdaugh cannot access an additional $160,000 from his liquidated 401(k) assets to pay expenses and fees for his lawyers Jim Griffin, Dick Harpootlian and their associates.

"After careful consideration, defendant Richard Alexander Murdaugh's motion for payment of attorneys' fees and costs from untainted funds is denied," the court order reads.

[…]

cc: @Seattle1

So what now? I don’t see the great AM filing for a public defender so maybe he will try DIY? The family may pay for it.
It's odd. I recall the hearing where they agreed it was all in the care of the court receiver's hands and the distribution was coming from the court no matter how you look at it. IMO, the taxpayers would prefer his appeal not be on their dime. JMO

Paying for the appeal is another scheme by AM. I think he wants his money to go to his current attorneys rather than be awarded to anyone he/his family harmed. His lawyers know that an appeal is probably not going to be successful given his testimony on the stand. His lawyers burned through monies by renting out the fancy wedding venue and they skimped on getting good forensic defense witnesses. The lawyers are not doing a whole lot. When I compare the defense of Stauch to this defense the work is on par. The Stauch guys were paid a reduced rate by the state. In my opinion, he is trying to funnel monies to friends and influencers (like DH) to help his remaining son. They spent a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing the first go round--- but the lawyers got paid mightily.

Paying for the appeal is another scheme by AM. I think he wants his money to go to his current attorneys rather than be awarded to anyone he/his family harmed. His lawyers know that an appeal is probably not going to be successful given his testimony on the stand. His lawyers burned through monies by renting out the fancy wedding venue and they skimped on getting good forensic defense witnesses. The lawyers are not doing a whole lot. When I compare the defense of Stauch to this defense the work is on par. The Stauch guys were paid a reduced rate by the state. In my opinion, he is trying to funnel monies to friends and influencers (like DH) to help his remaining son. They spent a whole lot of money for a whole lot of nothing the first go round--- but the lawyers got paid mightily.
We know that DH and JG will squeeze AM for all the $$$ they can get. When the well is dry, they will kick AM to the curb. I doubt family will take on AM's appeal costs. moo

Sad trombone sound < womp womp >

Alex Murdaugh can't use more 401(k) funds to pay for murder appeal, judge rules​

HAMPTON COUNTY, S.C. (WCIV) —
A South Carolina judge on Friday denied Alex Murdaugh's request to dip back into a pool of protected funds he hoped to use to pay legal costs for a pending appeal of his murder conviction.

Judge Daniel Hall in a ruling Friday afternoon ordered Murdaugh cannot access an additional $160,000 from his liquidated 401(k) assets to pay expenses and fees for his lawyers Jim Griffin, Dick Harpootlian and their associates.

"After careful consideration, defendant Richard Alexander Murdaugh's motion for payment of attorneys' fees and costs from untainted funds is denied," the court order reads.

[…]

cc: @Seattle1
Ruh Roh... AM seems to have tapped out his only somewhat maybe "clean" investment money, and might have to find "real money" he may have actually earned... like assets that aren't coming from fraudulent payouts or some other form of skullduggery from murder, mayhem, and/or selling off assets still in his name, or worse... there must be a river nearby that he could cry his crocodile tears into... jmo

[…]

What's next for Alex Murdaugh?​

A total of 12 civil suits ― 11 in state court, and one federal ― have been filed against Murdaugh after an alleged decade-long, multi-county financial and drug-related crime spree in which he allegedly stole more than $8.7 million from his clients and other attorneys.

Murdaugh has signed confessions of judgement in some of these cases, and to date only one civil case, the Mallory Beach wrongful death suit, is scheduled for trial: in Hampton County beginning Aug. 14.

Judge Hall is currently considering a motion for summary judgement by a co-defendant in that trial, Gregory M. Parker Inc., the owner of the Parkers convenience store which allegedly sold some of the alcohol involved in the boat case.

Parker is asking the court to dismiss him and his business from the case and let the claim stand against Murdaugh alone, arguing that his store employees did not violate the law and are not responsible because they were duped by Murdaugh's underage son using a valid ID. The Greenville News will have more on that story later this week, and Judge Hall is expected to rule on that motion by May 26.

Murdaugh is also facing 104 remaining criminal charges, but court dates have not been set for those cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessicawilliams0