Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t imagine being trapped in the back seat...hard to believe she just sat still in the back without being subdued unless he reached back and shot her. What in the hell was the passenger female doing during all of this? I only take Uber/Lyft with my husband or another person. Never alone. Ladies, we have to be hypervigilante now, this is happening far too often and these perps are more brazen than ever. She had such a promising future, and even if she hadn’t, she deserved better, who gave this monstrous the right to take it away? So sick of these “men” crawling around taking the lives of innocent children/women! RIP Samantha and I pray for peace for her family....

EBM
Correction:female passenger not in car during pick-up

Last edited:
For an Uber ride — how do we ensure (exactly) that the car that pulls up to us truly is the correct car? Is there a chance that the car that was to pick her her up was the exact same make and model as the guy who took her? That would be an extraordinary coincidence. Bad people are everywhere, but when the bars close and people are walking out ... this feels like a particularly vulnerable time for people.

Re: your ETA: Yes, a student died by suicide in a parking deck on main campus a week ago tomorrow.
A student from USC Salkehatchie died yesterday at baseball practice. This is beyond belief.

I had wondered why the president had referenced several campuses dealing with loss. This is a lot for the USC community.

Can’t imagine being trapped in the back seat...hard to believe she just sat still in the back without being subdued unless he reached back and shot her. What in the hell was the passenger female doing during all of this? I only take Uber/Lyft with my husband or another person. Never alone. Ladies, we have to be hypervigilante now, this is happening far too often and these perps are more brazen than ever. She had such a promising future, and even if she hadn’t, she deserved better, who gave this monstrous the right to take it away? So sick of these “men” crawling around taking the lives of innocent children/women! RIP Samantha and I pray for peace for her family....
The guy who picked her up had another passenger in the front seat at the time?

For an Uber ride — how do we ensure (exactly) that the car that pulls up to us truly is the correct car? Is there a chance that the car that was to pick her her up was the exact same make and model as the guy who took her? That would be an extraordinary coincidence. Bad people are everywhere, but when the bars close and people are walking out ... this feels like a particularly vulnerable time for people.
You get car description, driver's name, driver's picture, and license plate number. Chances are slim to none that she was waiting on a dark colored Impala.

It appears that Samantha was on her cell phone as the vehicle approaches. She then appears to disconnect from the call. Has it been revealed to whom she was speaking to on her cell?
Welcome to Websleuths, Maa23*s. :) It may be that she was tracking her Uber and not necessarily on a call - speculation only. MOO
I think if she was shot, she wouldn't have head-to-toe injuries. Just one. :( Also, the female passenger wasn't in the car at the time of the kidnapping. She was in the car at the time he was arrested, about 25 hours later. MOO

Here is what Uber recommends: Safety Tips For Riders | Stay Safe With Uber

You get car description, driver's name, driver's picture, and license plate number. Chances are slim to none that she was waiting on a dark colored Impala.
Thank you. I know these things can happen anywhere, but it’s so scary. I’m in CLT, and people here have been talking about this too. I don’t know a lot about towns in SC, but it does seem like there is a fair amount of trouble in some areas. Sigh.

Welcome to Websleuths, Maa23*s. :) It may be that she was tracking her Uber and not necessarily on a call - speculation only. MOO

I think if she was shot, she wouldn't have head-to-toe injuries. Just one. :( Also, the female passenger wasn't in the car at the time of the kidnapping. She was in the car at the time he was arrested, about 25 hours later. MOO
Ugh....so sad

Thank you. I know these things can happen anywhere, but it’s so scary. I’m in CLT, and people here have been talking about this too. I don’t know a lot about towns in SC, but it does seem like there is a fair amount of trouble in some areas. Sigh.
Plenty going on in Cola and Charleston. Five Points wasn't the best area 18 years ago when I hung out there; it hasn't gotten any better. IMO there should be a MAJOR push to keep the riff raff out. The majority of their clientele is UofSC students/sports spectators. They've really cracked down on underage drinking; now on to the rest.

The accused's name shows up as a resident in several SC counties. I certainly hope any unsolved crimes in those areas, particularly those involving young women, are reinvestigated since they will have his DNA now.

I've been very impressed with the police work thus far. Let's hope it continues.

There are at least two other Nathaniel Rowlands in SC, but all 3 have different birth dates, so you can't just go on name. The LE report only gave the New Zion address and the prior police documents on him (the pawn shop charge in October 2o18 & a couple of traffic charges) also have the New Zion address. This is probably the address on his SC driver's license.

It's unclear at this point what he does for a living and if he has a more local Columbus address. I'd sure like to know .

Plenty going on in Cola and Charleston. Five Points wasn't the best area 18 years ago when I hung out there; it hasn't gotten any better. IMO there should be a MAJOR push to keep the riff raff out. The majority of their clientele is UofSC students/sports spectators. They've really cracked down on underage drinking; now on to the rest.
Don't forget Myrtle Beach/Horry County in the list of places trouble abounds.

No but he did have a female passenger with him when he was picked up.
Good to hear she's cooperating !
She may have had no idea what he'd just committed.
Ugh.

A crime of opportunity ; or was he already cruising the area and stalking women -- knowing they'd be looking for an Uber, taxi, or a friend to drive them home ?

Rest in gentle peace, Samantha !!!!
My utmost condolences to her family and friends.

One of the best suggestions I've heard is ask the driver the name of the person who he/she is picking up.

Murder suspect, Nathaniel David Rowland, does not show for hearing, victim's mother makes statement - ColaDaily.com | You need the news, not the paper

There are no words to describe the immense pain, his actions have caused our family and friends. He’s taken away a piece of our heart, soul and life. Shame on him. We thought he would be here to see his evil face. I can not fathom how someone could randomly select a person, a beautiful girl and steal her life away. His actions were senseless, vile and unacceptable. It sickens us to think that his face was the last thing that my baby girl saw on this earth.

Does he even know her name? My daughter Samantha Josephson, more affectionately known to her family as sweet pea. Let me tell you about my daughter. Samantha was bubbly, loving, kind and full of life. She had a plan. She worked hard, was graduating from college in May and starting law school in September. Unlike him, Samantha valued human life and could never harm another soul. Unlike him, Samantha had love within her heart and purpose in her life, the life he brutally ended. He took away our daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a niece, a cousin and a friend to so many.

His selfish, unspeakable and violent actions have created a hole in the universe. A hole in our universe and we see the unimaginable ripple, affect her world. I implore the court to deny bail, or the posting of a bond. He should never be given the right to walk free again for what he did to my daughter, or given the opportunity to hurt anyone else. Samantha Josephson. My daughter’s name is Samantha Josephson. Don’t ever forget her name. Samantha Josephson. Shame on him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member