Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best suggestions I've heard is ask the driver the name of the person who he/she is picking up.

I think so too. Obviously the need for us to call for a car will always exist. We have to use as much precaution as possible. Even then, one really never knows. So many perps live a normal life for 45 years, suddenly they don’t. No one can predict what someone might do. I prefer taxi service opposed to climbing in a strangers car. Jmo

For an Uber ride — how do we ensure (exactly) that the car that pulls up to us truly is the correct car? Is there a chance that the car that was to pick her her up was the exact same make and model as the guy who took her? That would be an extraordinary coincidence. Bad people are everywhere, but when the bars close and people are walking out ... this feels like a particularly vulnerable time for people.
When you call for the Uber on an app, you are provided with the type of car and its license plate, as well as the name of the driver and his/her rating and reviews. When ride arrives the driver is supposed to confirm your name as the correct person. If these things don't match or he/she doesn't know your name, don't get in.

I'm confused. Was she riding in the front seat or back?

imo, and I suspect I’m not alone in this, that if she was expecting a dark colored car/Uber, how likely is it she knew what the car actually looked like? How many people would recognize a Chevy Malibu vs Chevy impala vs Ford vs Honda vs whatever? Black, forest green, navy, charcoal, and other colors can all look the same in the dark when all you’re thinking of is “dark 4 door car”. I think when we find out what the real Uber looks like, it’s going to be similar enough that many people won’t be able to immediately identify it as different.

Eta this is in response to the subtle victim blaming of why did she get in the car without verifying first.

I agree. She was probably very comfortable with using Uber. She most likely never gave it a thought that what happened was possible. And sadly, it's too late for her because some ******* predator took advantage of the situation.

There are ways to learn from this and to be more aware to protect yourself. Sometimes when bad things happen in a way like this, it can be a lesson to prevent it from happening again. Using Uber or Lyft? Look at the car, check the license plate, see if the driver is the person supposed to be in the car. JMO
I don’t know if you’d know this unless you took a lot of Ubers (unfortunately for my wallet, I do, but it’s a function of where I live), but I’m pretty sure it’s policy that the driver must affirmatively confirm you are the actual passenger. Most times I get into one the driver always says “Hi, <my name>?” Just another layer of protection. If they don’t say that, I always confirm before fully entering the vehicle (if I haven’t had a chance to check the license plate...city traffic doesn’t always allow)

imo, and I suspect I’m not alone in this, that if she was expecting a dark colored car/Uber, how likely is it she knew what the car actually looked like? How many people would recognize a Chevy Malibu vs Chevy impala vs Ford vs Honda vs whatever? Black, forest green, navy, charcoal, and other colors can all look the same in the dark when all you’re thinking of is “dark 4 door car”. I think when we find out what the real Uber looks like, it’s going to be similar enough that many people won’t be able to immediately identify it as different.

Eta this is in response to the subtle victim blaming of why did she get in the car without verifying first.
I agree! I usually try to know the type of car, but sometimes if I’m in a rush, I don’t look, and Ubers are usually a handful of specific makes/models. I’ve gotten into the wrong car plenty of times outside of my office, but am always told “wrong car” or something similar.

I agree! I usually try to know the type of car, but sometimes if I’m in a rush, I don’t look, and Ubers are usually a handful of specific makes/models. I’ve gotten into the wrong car plenty of times outside of my office, but am always told “wrong car” or something similar.

Where I live, an Uber can be any make/model, all are personally owned.
Here’s the requirements for an Uber driver/car.
Uber vehicle requirements: Can you drive for Uber with your car? - Ridesharing Driver

*this crime was not committed by an Uber employee

Last edited:
Where I live, an Uber can be any make/model, all are personally owned.
That makes sense, thank you for pointing that out. I speak from only having ridden in them in a large city, where 80% of the cars on the road are black suvs or black four door sedans, so my experience is probably not what hers, yours, or others’ might be.

This is how I am thinking also. She's young, likely tipsy, and from the video you can tell it's well populated. As a mom of two young women (eeek) 21 and 18, I can honestly say that, while my daughters are incredibly intelligent, I am certain neither one would be able to quickly identify make and models on most cars...
Of course we need to remind our children ( of all ages) to be vigilant but he boldly pulled right up where MANY people could see. She likely was not thinking safety was an issue at the brief moment.

I can only imagine the fear when she realized and to be honest I keep thinking we are going to find out possibly another individual was involved. ( just a possibility)

Off topic but I looked at his fb a few minutes ago and was so repulsed at the comments. I truly hope her family avoids reading there... I have lost all faith in humanity.

This is how I am thinking also. She's young, likely tipsy, and from the video you can tell it's well populated. As a mom of two young women (eeek) 21 and 18, I can honestly say that, while my daughters are incredibly intelligent, I am certain neither one would be able to quickly identify make and models on most cars...
Of course we need to remind our children ( of all ages) to be vigilant but he boldly pulled right up where MANY people could see. She likely was not thinking safety was an issue at the brief moment.

I can only imagine the fear when she realized and to be honest I keep thinking we are going to find out possibly another individual was involved. ( just a possibility)

Off topic but I looked at his fb a few minutes ago and was so repulsed at the comments. I truly hope her family avoids reading there... I have lost all faith in humanity.

In what way do you believe another person to possibly be involved? Tia
I’d love to know his whereabouts the evening before. Was he lurking, looking for a victim......in a bar drinking or had he just made the trip to the business district.

I don’t know if you’d know this unless you took a lot of Ubers (unfortunately for my wallet, I do, but it’s a function of where I live), but I’m pretty sure it’s policy that the driver must affirmatively confirm you are the actual passenger. Most times I get into one the driver always says “Hi, <my name>?” Just another layer of protection. If they don’t say that, I always confirm before fully entering the vehicle (if I haven’t had a chance to check the license plate...city traffic doesn’t always allow)
Exactly and good to have them give you your name. Double confirmation.

BTW, there is no intention of victim blaming, subtle or otherwise. No one knows exactly how this perp managed to convince Samantha he was her Uber. And no way is any of it meant to lend blame on her. Any post I made regarding safety precautions were meant strictly as that - safety precautions. And I personally stated that several posts back.

BTW, there is no intention of victim blaming, subtle or otherwise. No one knows exactly how this perp managed to convince Samantha he was her Uber. And no way is any of it meant to lend blame on her. Any post I made regarding safety precautions were meant strictly as that - safety precautions. And I personally stated that several posts back.

I’ve seen no victim blaming only sheer contempt for the murderer. Samantha mistakenly got in the wrong car & the murderer did not correct her, because he wanted a victim.
IMO, all advice regarding precaution is important.
I fear this will be a copycat crime. Not today, not tomorrow, but will happen again.

I've been spending the past few hours reading this thread from beginning to end. It was on the breaking news headline up top of the page. So, yes, looking at all the new information coming in over the past two days, there are a lot of things that just doesn't seem to make sense. But when does a crime ever make sense? When does the action of the perp ever make sense?

- I am surprised that this girl was brutally murdered, yet she had such a bright future ahead of her. Future lawyer, accepted at Drexel, going for all these great things ahead. She probably deserved that nice drink on a Thursday night with friend. Senior year of university can't be too easy and she probably just aced a difficult exam. Good for her! But she did not deserve the ending that she received at the hands of a sick, -up *advertiser censored*.

- People blaming her for not realizing that the perp's car wasn't the Uber she was looking for. I don't know if Uber provides a generic image of the car to pick up a client or the specific car itself, or if it just gives a text description. But if it is a text description, it wouldn't be very helpful. Especially if you know little to none about cars besides the typical "SUV"–which could be a million different makes and models—or those trucks.

I feel so bad for Sami. May she rest in peace, all the thoughts to her family and friends.

[All comments are just my opinion.]

It’s just hard for me to believe this is his first time doing this. You don’t have someone suddenly get into your car and instead of saying “I think you have the wrong car” you proceed to kidnap and kill them. It’s truly terrifying to think about how many others are out there with the same plan/thoughts.

For me, it’s really difficult to imagine the murderer brazen enough to pull such a horrific crime off. He had to know he was on camera. Very bold & risky for a first timer, imo.
I shudder to think what he might have morphed into had he not been apprehended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaGitana