Found Deceased SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, 29 March 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s just hard for me to believe this is his first time doing this. You don’t have someone suddenly get into your car and instead of saying “I think you have the wrong car” you proceed to kidnap and kill them. It’s truly terrifying to think about how many others are out there with the same plan/thoughts.

I agree.

I've been spending the past few hours reading this thread from beginning to end. It was on the breaking news headline up top of the page. So, yes, looking at all the new information coming in over the past two days, there are a lot of things that just doesn't seem to make sense. But when does a crime ever make sense? When does the action of the perp ever make sense?

- I am surprised that this girl was brutally murdered, yet she had such a bright future ahead of her. Future lawyer, accepted at Drexel, going for all these great things ahead. She probably deserved that nice drink on a Thursday night with friend. Senior year of university can't be too easy and she probably just aced a difficult exam. Good for her! But she did not deserve the ending that she received at the hands of a sick, ******-up *advertiser censored*.

- People blaming her for not realizing that the perp's car wasn't the Uber she was looking for. I don't know if Uber provides a generic image of the car to pick up a client or the specific car itself, or if it just gives a text description. But if it is a text description, it wouldn't be very helpful. Especially if you know little to none about cars besides the typical "SUV"–which could be a million different makes and models—or those trucks.

I feel so bad for Sami. May she rest in peace, all the thoughts to her family and friends.

[All comments are just my opinion.]

Again, no one has “blamed” Samantha.
It’s horrible that a murderer pulled his vehicle into a spot portraying himself as a hired car, allowing a bright, beautiful woman to get in, taking her on a ride to he77.
Moo

ETA: his future automobile rides will put him in a similar situation. Locked in, no way out.

Back to the child locks on the back doors. On my Acura, the actual locks are on the inside of the frame of each back door. Flip the switch up or down to turn the lock off or on.
Like all cars I imagine.

However, I can also control it with the lock button on the driver’s console. One must read the manual to figure it out. I do not remember what it called for because once it was set, it was done.

Mine is set so when the engine is turned off, only the drivers door is unlocked. No one can get in or out without me pressing the button. Keeps children safely in and lessons the opportunist who may try to grab a purse from the passengers side at a gas station, etc.

With a car seat in the back seat, it stands to reason the car safety locks would be on.

Perhaps this needs to be made a rule by Uber and Lyft that car safety locks MUST be off. Bet everyone will be checking their doors in the future. It is a frightening thought!

The fact he was caught in Five points again, was he about to try again? Was this the beginning of some spree? I know we don’t have any of these answers, but this one has really gotten to me. I remember when I was a senior in college and had just gotten into law school - something like this happening would’ve been the *last* thing on my mind.

Back to the child locks on the back doors. On my Acura, the actual locks are on the inside of the frame of each back door. Flip the switch up or down to turn the lock off or on.
Like all cars I imagine.

However, I can also control it with the lock button on the driver’s console. One must read the manual to figure it out. I do not remember what it called for because once it was set, it was done.

Mine is set so when the engine is turned off, only the drivers door is unlocked. No one can get in or out without me pressing the button. Keeps children safely in and lessons the opportunist who may try to grab a purse from the passengers side at a gas station, etc.

With a car seat in the back seat, it stands to reason the car safety locks would be on.

Perhaps this needs to be made a rule by Uber and Lyft that car safety locks MUST be off. Bet everyone will be checking their doors in the future. It is a frightening thought!
Out of the facts we’ve been given thus far, this one just gives me chills. She would’ve gotten the message from her uber driver that he was there within a minute (max 2-3 minutes before notification of cancellation), and the terror she must’ve felt at that moment upon realizing what was happening and that she was locked in, makes me sick to my stomach and brings tears to my eyes.

Maayan Schechter on Twitter
At the vigil for Samantha Josephson, where 100+ students, faculty and other community members have shown up on the field behind the Strom Center. A lot hugs are being given. To the left of the group is a photo of Samantha.
D3BhMaeWoAEmrZ3.jpg

D3BhMaoWsAUJcsD.jpg

Maayan Schechter on Twitter
Flowers and candles have been placed around the main fountain in Five Points for Samantha Josephson. https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article228659984.html …
D3BC5BOWsAA7mcb.jpg

Again, no one has “blamed” Samantha.

This. Saying that Samatha didn’t stop to inspect the car, clarify that it was the exact same make and model as stipulated and make sure the driver knew her name before entering, isn’t victim blaming. It’s just saying that depressingly in this world we live in, we now have to take ridiculously in depth precautions in order to avoid being harmed and that incidents like this make it important to be safety conscious.

I’m 26 and I can say with certainty, that most people I know, on a night out, would jump into a car that pulled up if they were waiting for an Uber, just like Samantha did and think nothing more about it. What she did is such a common thing and I haven’t seen one single post that’s even suggested that she was in any way to blame for what happened. (That’s what victim blaming is by the way, since the definition seems to have became skewered here. Saying that a victim is to blame for what happened.)

All anybody is saying is that in this world we live in, we now have to be more cautious than ever. I know when I’m travelling home on a night out I’m going to be a lot more paranoid and conscious. It’s insulting to say, that what happened has taught us all a lesson in personal safety on a night out is blaming Samantha in any way.

Out of the facts we’ve been given thus far, this one just gives me chills. She would’ve gotten the message from her uber driver that he was there within a minute (max 2-3 minutes before notification of cancellation), and the terror she must’ve felt at that moment upon realizing what was happening and that she was locked in, makes me sick to my stomach and brings tears to my eyes.

I keep thinking that the phone ping 1.5 miles from where she was picked up was the text from the Uber driver. By then Rowlands would be on on a major thoroughfare, Rosewood Dr (Route 16) heading for Highway 378. Did she turn the phone on to call 911 or reach out to someone for help.

By then he must have had control of her phone

Last edited:
The fact he was caught in Five points again, was he about to try again? Was this the beginning of some spree? I know we don’t have any of these answers, but this one has really gotten to me. I remember when I was a senior in college and had just gotten into law school - something like this happening would’ve been the *last* thing on my mind.

Or a continuation of a spree. I really wonder if he has another victim or two. Maybe a runaway or a homeless person. Someone not reported missing. I hope not but he pulled off a high risk crime for a first timer, imo.
It will be interesting to see what LE finds on his phone & computer.

I'm convinced LE will find that Rowlands regularly prowled that corner to try to find vulnerable young coeds waiting for their Uber, exactly as happened. And, as postulated way upthread, it seems from the video that something caused her to turn towards him just before he turned the corner. As if he called out to her asking something like "are you waiting for a ride" or "are you waiting for your Uber?". With that introduction, it would be easy for her to assume it was the Uber she had been tracking on her phone and was very near.

I'm convinced we'll find he's practiced this and tried this before. He knew exactly what he was doing. It wasn't random on his part.

I'm convinced that there are other young woman out there who approached his car at that very same spot and realized he WASN'T their Uber.

He was waay too quick and slick at this.

Last edited:
My daughter and her friends use “Where’s my Friend” app to track each other...and now my husband and I use it too. If the friends didn’t start looking until the next morning and they used this app, I’m wondering if that’s when the app showed the phone at that location. Did he go to a friends house...spend the night there? Park there?

If so, must be a-pretty close friend to risk taking a bloody car there.
Life 360 is another popular tracking app. I use it w/family and close friends. It will show where you are, where you’ve been and how long you’re stopped somewhere. It’s pretty accurate giving the right address but does nothing to indicate if you are in a building or in the street in front of the building.

Like others have suggested I suspect that’s where he pulled over, subdued her and made her relinquish her phone. It would be easy to say he was picking up another rider, pull over then point a gun at her.

I'm convinced LE will find that Rowlands regularly prowled that corner to try to find vulnerable young coeds waiting for their Uber, exactly as happened. And, as postulated way upthread, it seems from the video that something caused her to turn towards him just before he turned the corner. As if he called out to he asking something like "are you waiting for a ride". With that introduction, it would be easy for her to assume it was the Uber she was following on the phone.

I'm convinced we'll find he's practiced this and tried this before. He knew exactly what he was doing. It wasn't random on his part.

I'm convinced that there are other young woman out there who approached his car at that very same spot and realized he WASN'T their Uber.

He was waay to quick and slick at this.

I could not agree more.
He was too confident, too smooth, no hesitation.
I hope video still exists showing him prowling the area.
Wouldn’t surprise me if he prowled close to campus as well.

Anyone think the murderer might have worked in the area, maybe second shift, getting off around midnight or 1 a.m.?
If so, he would be very aware of women using Uber, the busiest times, etc.
Possibly he worked in a restaurant or bar.

I keep thinking that the phone ping 1.5 miles from where she was picked up was the text from the Uber driver. By then Rowlands would be on on a major thoroughfare, Rosewood Dr (Route 16) heading for Highway 378.
That’s very likely. There’s just a lot we don’t know. Given she didn’t call someone (at least that we know of).
I could not agree more.
He was too confident, too smooth, no hesitation.
I hope video still exists showing him prowling the area.
Wouldn’t surprise me if he prowled close to campus as well.
Not the same facts at all, but as to why I agree he has done this before and hope there’s evidence of it - when I was traveling for work once I left the hotel to walk down the street to a convenience store to get food (I could not deal with any more room service), I got a weird sensation when this guy cut me off in his car as I was trying to cross the street. Apparently a man walking behind me got the same vibe, came up and asked if I was okay, and actually stayed with me and walked me back to my hotel ( 2 blocks away), all while the car continued to follow me. Long story short, I alerted the concierge at the hotel and they called the cops. Apparently this man had a history of doing this. When people set their mind to something, they will do it, and it usually isn’t the first time.

Life 360 is another popular tracking app. I use it w/family and close friends. It will show where you are, where you’ve been and how long you’re stopped somewhere. It’s pretty accurate giving the right address but does nothing to indicate if you are in a building or in the street in front of the building.

Like others have suggested I suspect that’s where he pulled over, subdued her and made her relinquish her phone. It would be easy to say he was picking up another rider, pull over then point a gun at her.

Her wounds sound like knife wounds. There's been no mention that he had a gun

Anyone think the murderer might have worked in the area, maybe second shift, getting off around midnight or 1 a.m.?
If so, he would be very aware of women using Uber, the busiest times, etc.
Possibly he worked in a restaurant or bar.

That might explain why he was back there 24 hours later. Had to get back from New Zion to work a shift.

No mention of it yet by LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member