SC SC - Stanley Kotowski, 60, Hilton Head, 16 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It would be good to see the video footage from the Ring camera. In the still shot he doesn’t look in distress, facially.
I wonder how he was moving? Looking around as if he felt he was being followed? Casually passing by or determined to get away from something?
Since he was feeling paranoid, he may be hiding.
I hope he is found soon.

AUG 21, 2024
The family said he can be identified by a thick Boston accent, a reminder of home, where they wish to return.

"I want to go home," Jackie Kotowski said. "I want to take him home."

"We can't leave without him," Zak Kotowski said.

The family is hoping someone spotted him on their security camera and can help in the search.

Kotowski, 60, was last seen the morning of August 16 leaving the family’s vacation rental at 226 South Sea Pines Drive, shoeless and without his phone.

It was the same day that two Hilton Head vacationers were killed in separate drownings due to rough waters from Hurricane Ernesto.

Last edited:
It would be really unusual for a 60 yr old man with no history of mental illness to suddenly develop a psychotic disorder. The month of insomnia and increasing anxiety without an identifiable stressor would be concerning for a medical condition. Or substance use. The family stated that wasn’t an issue, but people often hide their use. No judgment, of course. Just something to consider.

It would be really unusual for a 60 yr old man with no history of mental illness to suddenly develop a psychotic disorder. The month of insomnia and increasing anxiety without an identifiable stressor would be concerning for a medical condition. Or substance use. The family stated that wasn’t an issue, but people often hide their use. No judgment, of course. Just something to consider.
Sleep deprivation (insomnia) can cause a psychosis.

We live in HHI in the same neighborhood as Stan. We don’t personally know of him but we do have friends that live on the same street. Sea Pines is gated with a 24/7 guard house, and heavily secured with cameras everywhere. It would be nearly impossible for him (or anyone) to enter/exit Sea Pines without it being captured on the CCTV footage nor being scanned in at the guard house.

Sea Pines is a mix of single family homes and condos. The area he went missing from is part of where the condominiums are and is very close to the ocean and beach access. It’s normal for residents to walk around barefoot especially when you’re minutes from the sand.

We do have several lakes and ponds here that are populated with alligators which is one likely scenario. Law enforcement immediately jumping to him being endangered though makes me think they have tips from his family that support something unfortunate happening.
How quickly could one make it to the water from where Stanley was last seen? Would they have to go through (/over) a fence or any other major impediments?

How quickly could one make it to the water from where Stanley was last seen? Would they have to go through (/over) a fence or any other major impediments?
I've attached a map to the area where the family is staying (marked in red). There are a few ponds with very close proximity and the ocean is accessible via a few walking paths. A Hilton Head resident posted upthread that the Sea Pines community they are staying is gated with multiple surveillance cameras and SK would have been detected had he left the community via the main entrance. It would seem (imo) that he is either somewhere hiding in the community, although after 6 days, it seems he would have been sighted or he headed to the beach and traversed that way or unfortunately ended up in the water. I'm curious how long the family had been visiting Hilton Head before his disappearance - I haven't seen that reported by MSM.

Attachments

• HHMap.jpg
    HHMap.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 10
Has there been proper review of security cameras in the area?

Also, did he have access to boat? Or could he have gone on sn adventure with a boat rental?

I know it says he didn’t take a wallet or phone….but did he have a smart watch (Apple iWatch or Fitbit etc) with tracking or ways to use Apple Pay?

I'm wondering if he had recently started, stopped, or changed any psychiatric or sleep medication. Sometimes this can cause issues. Even if that were the case, where on earth could he have gone? Surely with all the neighborhood cameras and him leaving during the daytime, there has to be some footage of what happened to him. I hope this has a happy ending.

I've attached a map to the area where the family is staying (marked in red). There are a few ponds with very close proximity and the ocean is accessible via a few walking paths. A Hilton Head resident posted upthread that the Sea Pines community they are staying is gated with multiple surveillance cameras and SK would have been detected had he left the community via the main entrance. It would seem (imo) that he is either somewhere hiding in the community, although after 6 days, it seems he would have been sighted or he headed to the beach and traversed that way or unfortunately ended up in the water. I'm curious how long the family had been visiting Hilton Head before his disappearance - I haven't seen that reported by MSM.
I have visited friends in Sea pines and we saw a fairly large alligator on the walking trail while jogging one morning. However, you would have expected parts of that wagon to have been found by now if they went in a pond with him.

I agree.
Insomnia from racing and anxious
thoughts?
Possible depression coming on.
Not a doc, just experienced in the ways of my own wacky brain.

Sounds like my life. I also agree it's a little late in life to develop a mental illness. Definitely could be something going on neurologically speaking that led to this. I know the family says he was healthy, but there could be something that hasn't been diagnosed yet. He wasn't sleeping for a month and had anxiety. Was a doctor seen for these issues?

Did they search the ponds?

You know missing persons and bodies of water usually end up going together. I am concerned that if he was paranoid and thought someone was following him just how far away he could have walked. If in his mind, he was legitimately in fear for his life, I think there's endless possibilities to where he could have ended up. I'd be interested to see if there's anything on surrounding traffic cams or ring cams. Maybe get a sense of the direction he was going and things of that nature. JMO

Here’s updated information for everyone. I am on the other side of the country from the search unfortunately which is why I don’t know particulars. We are still hoping to find Stan alive despite the odds. Thank you for all of your interest and support.

Attachments

• IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3560.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3561.jpeg
    IMG_3561.jpeg
    417.1 KB · Views: 14
Here’s updated information for everyone. I am on the other side of the country from the search unfortunately which is why I don’t know particulars. We are still hoping to find Stan alive despite the odds. Thank you for all of your interest and support.
Thanks for sharing, for those who may have difficulty in reading the info, I extracted a few key points.

* Severe insomnia and anxiousness started approx. a month ago, but became paranoid thinking people, including authorities were pursuing him more recently.

* Stan was not a fan of the ocean and was concerned about exposure to the sun, jellyfish and sharks.

* Stan is not familiar with Hilton Head, has not driven around the island or viewed maps.

* The only confirmed sighting was the morning he went missing around the Salty Dog, a local restaurant and recreation facility.

I didn't think of taking shelter in vacant rentals. The fact that he was seen only once by the Salty Dog in the early days, and the number of cameras and people, this seems like a real possibility. Also that the resort is "expansive".
He may have accessed a rental through a window or what have you, plus he would have access to water, maybe even AC since he doesn't tolerate heat.
Then since he is suffering from paranoia, it's possible if searchers call out or even enter one of these rentals he would hide. Do these places have attics? crawl spaces?
Hoping for the best.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garybeans
Back