SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the video earlier today and couldn't believe what I was seeing. My stomach was in knots and my hands were shaking. The victim was about my husband's age and I started crying thinking of any man that age trying to run away. All I know, is my husband would have to be one scared man to try to outrun a cop. I just couldn't believe what looked like the cop's nonchalance. And why was he screaming for Mr. Scott to put his hands behind his back? He had just fired 8 bullets at his back, for crying out loud, what did he think he was going to do? Oh, this was so disturbing...I've never seen anything so flat and emotionless in my life. This was a human being pulled over for a taillight and he was gunned down for what looks like no good reason. I can't figure out WHY, because the cop didn't even look mad or anything, just flat. Thanks for all the links guys. All I can say is, Isn't it aMAzing how different the initial report looks compared to the video? moo

Those were my thoughts too. I couldn't believe how casual he was about killing a man. It's chilling. I really wonder what was happening in his head because he looked quite composed on the video. Like he was hunting an animal, or playing a video game. Didn't look human, if that makes sense. I hope he doesn't get off with a lesser conviction. If you fire 8 shots at someone you should know the likely outcome.

Those were my thoughts too. I couldn't believe how casual he was about killing a man. It's chilling. I really wonder what was happening in his head because he looked quite composed on the video. Like he was hunting an animal, or playing a video game. Didn't look human, if that makes sense. I hope he doesn't get off with a lesser conviction. If you fire 8 shots at someone you should know the likely outcome.

I think he is a psychopath. I really really hope he gets life imprisonment and doesn't somehow get away with this. He is a dangerous man.

I know exactly what you mean. It's like moving target practise - a game almost - like that's not a real person he's pumping those bullets into.

There is no doubt the officer picks up the tazer and calmly walks over to the person he just shot in the back and then he drops the tazer right near the body. There is no doubt the officer did this to manipulate the scene and make it look like the guy was the one who had taken his tazer.

There is no doubt whatsoever of the reason that officer picked up that tazer and PLANTED it near the body.

I agree it looks bad. I can't imagine why ANY evidence would be moved until the scene was investigated.

Has the other officer been charged? If the cop did plant evidence he did it casually right in FRONT of the other officer, and if the act was as illegal as it appears then he was very casual about it, as if he KNEW the other officer wouldn't have a problem with it.

The black police officer who appears in the video checking the dying man's condition, Clarence Habersham, made no mention of Slager or any of his actions in his brief official incident report, according to a copy obtained by the AP.

http://news.yahoo.com/protest-planned-white-sc-officer-charged-murder-092432016.html

Deciding to see what was going on, he followed and saw the two struggling on the ground, he told NBC’s Lester Holt on Wednesday.

http://ktla.com/2015/04/09/walter-s...ed-south-carolina-police-shooting-video-says/

“They were down on the floor … before I started recording,” Slager said. “I remember the police (officer) had control of the situation. He had control of Scott.”

Santana said he heard the sound of a Taser being used, and that he believed Scott was trying to get away from it.

But Scott never got the Taser or used it on the officer, Santana told NBC on Wednesday and Thursday.

And another thing about the alleged ground contact with the 2 of them before the video starts. It was said that the tazer was deployed and the guy was struggling to get away. Well, what the officers and their policies fail to take into account is a critical thing I have noticed with the use of mace or tazers. When some people get shot with a tazer or get sprayed with mace, then your body will sometimes have a natural and involuntary reaction to get away from the pain.

I get so upset in watching some police videos where they just blasted someone with mace or a tazer and then they start yelling at them to quit resisting. HELLO??? Its not like you can control your body when someone is hurting you. Your body will react involuntarily to get away from the pain of the mace or the tazer. Its not like your body wants to stay there and say "hit me with another".

So some of these sort of incidents where a person who is sprayed by mace or shot with a tazer I can fully understand a person wanting to get away from it.

THIS. 100x. The Kelly Thomas killing comes to mind. He was being tazed repeatedly and beaten all while pleading for his life, saying sorry......The police kept telling him to relax, put your hands behind your back........LE justified it all stating he was violent and was resisting.

OH REALLY? I would liked to have seen anyone of those cops have the same done to them to see how they would react. If it were me, I'm sure I would be trying to PROTECT myself arms and legs flying around. KT was a homeless schizophrenic and well know to LE as being non-violent.

I'm am 100% sure "resisting" and "violent" will be tossed about as a reason for the man to have been murdered. Sadly, I'm not so sure it won't work.

This Associated Press article about Slager's tazing incident from two years ago is a must read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/09/michael-slager-excessive-force_n_7032212.html

Michael Slager, Cop Who Killed Unarmed Black Man Walter Scott, Had Prior Excessive Force Complaint
Posted: 04/09/2015 8:45 am EDT Updated: 1 hour ago

"NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- The white South Carolina police officer charged with murder for shooting an unarmed black man in the back was allowed to stay on the force despite a 2013 complaint that he used excessive force against another unarmed black man.

In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, Mario Givens recounted Wednesday how he was awakened before dawn one morning by loud banging on the front door of his family's North Charleston home."

Much, much more...

THIS. 100x. The Kelly Thomas killing comes to mind. He was being tazed repeatedly and beaten all while pleading for his life, saying sorry......The police kept telling him to relax, put your hands behind your back........LE justified it all stating he was violent and was resisting.

OH REALLY? I would liked to have seen anyone of those cops have the same done to them to see how they would react. If it were me, I'm sure I would be trying to PROTECT myself arms and legs flying around. KT was a homeless schizophrenic and well know to LE as being non-violent.

I'm am 100% sure "resisting" and "violent" will be tossed about as a reason for the man to have been murdered. Sadly, I'm not so sure it won't work.

I can't even see the name Kelly Thomas without getting sick inside. It doesn't sound like it, but was Mr. Scott known to the local police? Had he have previous brushes with the law, not that any of that would justify what was done to Mr. Scott, just was curious. So thankful for the man who videoed this tragedy.

I can't even see the name Kelly Thomas without getting sick inside. It doesn't sound like it, but was Mr. Scott known to the local police? Had he have previous brushes with the law, not that any of that would justify what was done to Mr. Scott, just was curious. So thankful for the man who videoed this tragedy.

JMO--I am pretty sure that when I viewed the video I was watching an actual murder happening. That really doesn't have anything to do with any possible past brush with the law to me.
I am also thankful for the courage showed by the man who bravely recorded this crime.

I can't even see the name Kelly Thomas without getting sick inside.

I had never heard of Kelly Thomas but looked up the video and that was truly horrendous. Those huge cops obviously beat that skinny little guy to death for sport, the fact that more and more showed up and NONE of them stopped it is downright unbelievable.

Every cop that saw what was happening and did nothing should be in prison.

I've been thinking about something. There was a cop here in my Texas town who resigned-turned in his resignation. The very Next night, he got into a bar argument with a young guy and after closing time, the ex cop shot him multiple times in the parking lot...said he feared for his life. He was never arrested and the young guy miraculously survived. During this case, it came out that the cop had been investigated for shooting a man in the back, (Idk how many shots or if the man died), but was cleared of any wrongdoing. After the bar shooting case was closed, he got into some domestic trouble with his ex wife. She said he broke into her house and assaulted her and on another occasion, rammed his vehicle into her car, among other things. He admitted to ramming her car! said it was because he didn't know where his kids were, (whatever that means...what if they were in the car?), but again he got into no trouble. And to add insult to injury, the ex was ordered to take some kind of domestic abuse class, (maybe because she didn't want to go forward with charges? Idk). But, this is the kind of mentality we're dealing with. Cops very rarely face real consequences, no matter what they do! And if the reports were true of him shooting a man in the back while on duty, then I guess it might be kind of common, since he got in no trouble. I feel like Slager may slither out of this, even with the video. He just seems too confident- like he knows since he was a cop, he has nothing to worry about. moo

This Associated Press article about Slager's tazing incident from two years ago is a must read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/09/michael-slager-excessive-force_n_7032212.html

Michael Slager, Cop Who Killed Unarmed Black Man Walter Scott, Had Prior Excessive Force Complaint

"NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) -- The white South Carolina police officer charged with murder for shooting an unarmed black man in the back was allowed to stay on the force despite a 2013 complaint that he used excessive force against another unarmed black man.

In an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, Mario Givens recounted Wednesday how he was awakened before dawn one morning by loud banging on the front door of his family's North Charleston home."

Much, much more...
that was chilling. Idk why so many people have a problem believing witnesses in these cases. If not for the video to back up this story, so many people would be calling this witness a liar! moo I've already read so many comments about Scott owing child support, like that somehow justifies him being shot. What about this cop's child support? He's got a baby on the way and he's not doing his fair share. moo

Much, much more...

This now-former officer is right where he needs to be. In jail, with no bail. IMO. Very glad to read that they are investigating the other officers who arrived at the scene, too.

There is an article on WBTV's website stating that a popular fundraising site (which shall not be named here due to TOS) has rejected a campaign for Slager.

I can't post the link as it has the name of the fundraising site in it, but google should pull it up.

Feidin Santana: I nearly erased Scott shooting video out of fear

--------------------------

"I ... thought about erasing the video," Santana told MSNBC's "All in With Chris Hayes" in an interview that aired Wednesday evening. "I felt that my life, with this information, might be in danger."

"I know the cop didn't do ... the right thing. And like I say, I feel kind of scared about that," he added.

---------------------------------

Santana, 23, also told NBC on Thursday that he didn't see Scott grab the officer's Taser -- an account that doesn't match what the officer told dispatchers about what led to the shooting following a traffic stop.

He said he ultimately revealed the video because what he saw -- a police officer shooting a man who was running away -- didn't match initial reports of the incident.

"As you can see in the video, the police officer just shot him in the back. ... And I knew right away that I had something in my hands," Santana told NBC's Lester Holt on Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/09/us/south-carolina-witness-video/index.html

that was chilling. Idk why so many people have a problem believing witnesses in these cases.

Because a lot of time witnesses might have an agenda and will outright LIE, and criminals can often be expected to lie.

Everyone saw what happened in the MB case, people were lying shamelessly and the few that wanted to tell the truth about what happened were afraid to speak up for fear of retaliation.

Right now on CNN Wolf Blitzer about to interview a lady who claims she witnessed the altercation between Scott and the officer

EDIT: Dash-cam video to be released "very shortly" Apparently it shows the entire altercation at the car

dash cam video airing on CNN right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member