SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even see the name Kelly Thomas without getting sick inside. It doesn't sound like it, but was Mr. Scott known to the local police? Had he have previous brushes with the law, not that any of that would justify what was done to Mr. Scott, just was curious. So thankful for the man who videoed this tragedy.

It was reported that Mr Scott had been arrested 10 times in the past...

"Mr. Scott had been arrested about 10 times, mostly for failing to pay child support or show up for court hearings, according to The Post and Courier newspaper of Charleston. He was arrested in 1987 on an assault and battery charge and convicted in 1991 of possession of a bludgeon, the newspaper reported. Mr. Scott’s brother, Anthony, said he believed Mr. Scott had fled from the police on Saturday because he owed child support."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/u...ged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

Still does not justify shooting an unarmed person in the back.

I was under the impression that there was an open warrant for a child support issue and that was the suggested reason he may have taken off running. Of course most people would also run to get away from being tased.
Guessing it was the former, as Slager had not shown any show of force at that point. (link)

In retrospect it could be that he ran because of the outstanding warrant but at the moment that he ran from the car the officer would have no way of knowing what he was dealing with. Did Scott steal the car? Did he just commit an armed robbery or worse? The officer did what every officer would do in such a situation and he chased after Scott.

Officer was well within his rights to chase him, but there is absolutely no reason or justification to open fire and shoot someone in the back several times. The video clearly shows that the officer was not in danger and the officer is really going to have a heck of a time trying to come up with "feeling threatened". JMO

Extended version of the dash cam video to be played on CNN after this commercial break

This officer has been arrested and charged with murder and that is a positive thing. Rev. Al Sharpton is scheduled to arrive Sunday in North Charleston. I really, really hope that his visit doesn't incite the usual looting and burning. It would be a shame if people are harmed or lose their homes and businesses like those in Ferguson. Justice needs to be served in this case but as we have seen, the non-violent protests can become violent very quickly.

Thanks for that info. He's loves to stir the pot.

Officer was well within his rights to chase him, but there is absolutely no reason or justification to open fire and shoot someone in the back several times. The video clearly shows that the officer was not in danger and the officer is really going to have a heck of a time trying to come up with "feeling threatened". JMO

Of course the officer was not justified shooting Scott in the back and he will pay a price for that but I don't agree that the officer "was not in danger". According to the eyewitness - Scott and the officer were involved in a struggle on the ground. Put yourself in the officer's position where you are on the ground struggling with a suspect who may have been grabbing for your weapon. I think anyone in that position would be in fear for their life (and rightly so!) and unfortunately this officer over-reacted and resorted to deadly force.

They're trained NOT to fear for their life, and we have no way of knowing if Scott was trying to get his weapon from him. These are the types of statements that mislead, IMHO.

And once Scott was up and running away, the officer was no longer in fear for his life. It was THEN that he opened fire, not during a scuffle.

the guy who filmed this was in GRAVE DANGER, I think he was really lucky he was not noticed

When I watched the video I was nervous for the guy filming it. He probably wasn't as close as it seemed, and yes there WAS a fence between them, bit I kept thinking "if they see him filming they will go after him and he could end up just as dead".

Course realistically if they HAD seen him and caught him they just would have destroyed the video and no one would believe his story anyway.

Of course the officer was not justified shooting Scott in the back and he will pay a price for that but I don't agree that the officer "was not in danger". According to the eyewitness - Scott and the officer were involved in a struggle on the ground. Put yourself in the officer's position where you are on the ground struggling with a suspect who may have been grabbing for your weapon. I think anyone in that position would be in fear for their life (and rightly so!) and unfortunately this officer over-reacted and resorted to deadly force.

I agree with you. I think Mr. Scott was in fear for his life which is why he ran away from the officer. It looked like Slager was trying to detain Scott, who was intent on fleeing, and when he got loose after being tased, he ran. Slager, instead of giving chase, decided to use his gun to slow Mr. Scott down. Unbelievable that Slager just wouldn't pursue on foot.

There are good and bad of every profession on earth. Slager was not suited to be in LE if he even has it in him to shoot a man in the back, IMO.

This was murder, it was wrong, and he is sitting in jail with murder charges. He will be convicted with the evidence.

I'm excusing myself from this thread except for just reading because my late husband was retired LE and was an honorable man. I was a Deputy for 10 years and NOT for the wrong reasons.

Please do not judge all LE by the bad ones.

:seeya:

MOO

We don't know how the struggle went down though, do we? Since Scott ran from the car and was running away when he was shot, I think he only wanted to get away from Slager. I think it's more likely Slager tackled Scott to the ground. Cops are trained to physically deal with people resisting arrest. A suspect putting up a struggle usually doesn't equate with the officer feeling threatened. I thought they were also trained to be as least provocative as possible, but maybe it's different in the US. Maybe more will come out, but at this point I don't think we have enough to believe that Slager felt threatened. Not that it matters anyway, because Scott was running away when he was shot.

Is this guy actually driving a Mercedes Benz? And he owes back child support? Or was that just a rumor?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

I still feel it was murder...but I'm also shaking my head in disbelief.....
SABBM

You caught that, too ? Not a very responsible person, this Scott. Still do not think he needed to be shot, as he was most likely not a danger to the public.
If only he hadn't decided to run.

Extremely annoying that Ol' Al is coming to poke his nose in where it doesn't belong. Sharpton does nothing but stir people up and then sit back and claim he's not responsible --- as people riot and loot and burn things down. Smh.

:moo:

I read that it was an old, 1990 model. not exactly living high off the hog.

What the victim was driving is irrelevant. But just to add my two cents... All vehicles depreciate considerably once it leaves the dealership. This is an older model. I purchased a "high-end" SUV a couple of years ago for about 1/10 of the original price.

Do we know yet if it was, in fact, his vehicle or if he was test driving it?

According to the dash cam video he was going to buy it but had not performed all the paperwork as of that Saturday morning. So, technically, he did not own it.

When I watched the video I was nervous for the guy filming it. He probably wasn't as close as it seemed, and yes there WAS a fence between them, bit I kept thinking "if they see him filming they will go after him and he could end up just as dead".

Course realistically if they HAD seen him and caught him they just would have destroyed the video and no one would believe his story anyway.

Also, extremely illegal.

I am watching HLN right now.....This is murder 101.....because Mr. Scott "ran".....the po shot his taser.....and after that "failed" to slow Mr. Scott down......he shot him.

I hate that this po is from south jersey...I hate that this happens at all......Especially all that has happened with LE shown to freely use lethal force when it was not warranted.

50 years old.....Mr. Scott was "old school"...MOO.........he figured he could "just run"....like in the old days.

God bless him and his beautiful family.

In retrospect it could be that he ran because of the outstanding warrant but at the moment that he ran from the car the officer would have no way of knowing what he was dealing with. Did Scott steal the car? Did he just commit an armed robbery or worse? The officer did what every officer would do in such a situation and he chased after Scott.

And shot an unarmed, fleeing man in the back numerous times, after which he planted a taser on the dead man's body?

Yes, what any cop would do.

Sorry, but no. Not any decent cop, and I know plenty. This cop is a criminal.

RSBM

What was Slager thinking ? He could have easily just chased down and tackled Scott -- who was 50 years old (that's pretty old) and way out of shape.
The only reason for a cop to start shooting like that would be if the perp had a gun and was actively shooting AT the officer. Certainly a cop cannot shoot anyone who is already running away ; by that time the perp is no longer a threat.
:moo:

Okay, I gotta say 50 ain't that old, lol.

I am 50 and still swim regularly and run/walk at least 2 miles each day. (Knees won't allow a full run)

But all kidding aside, I get what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaLegend71