SC - Walter Scott, 50, fatally shot by North Charleston PD officer, 4 April 2015 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a chance to view some video on this police shooting. It doesn't look good for Officer Slager. I would like to know more about the taser. Did Walter Scott actually grab it? Are his fingerprints on it? How much of a struggle (if there was one) between the two happened off camera?

I'm not sure what to make of the apparent lack of CPR by LE. Maybe someone with a medical background can say if it would be appropriate to do in a case like this. I have a feeling it wouldn't have mattered but that's just my opinion.

There was no CPR because the man was dead.

I finally got a chance to view some video on this police shooting. It doesn't look good for Officer Slager. I would like to know more about the taser. Did Walter Scott actually grab it? Are his fingerprints on it? How much of a struggle (if there was one) between the two happened off camera?

I'm not sure what to make of the apparent lack of CPR by LE. Maybe someone with a medical background can say if it would be appropriate to do in a case like this. I have a feeling it wouldn't have mattered but that's just my opinion.

CPR would do nothing to help a victim with multiple GSW's. Need to control the bleeding first.

There was no CPR because the man was dead.

Okay. EMS determines that and they showed up after the LE officers attempted first aid of some kind. Personally, I don't think LE did anything wrong with not doing CPR until I see something that changes my mind.

I just now watched LiveLeak vid - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9d2_1428500514 someone else pointed to and
did not see a lying-on-the-ground fight w the two. I thought I'd seen vid or narrative of it, not finding now.
My apologies, if this was an on-their-feet altercation only. I'll BOLO for vid or other source.

In any case, question in my question is still unanswered, so repeating here:
"Did LEO have a chance to pat down or frisk him for a weapon? Anyone? Any vid? Any stmt by LEO or wit? Link?(If so, I missed it, sorry)"

If LEO did not frisk or pat down, how can anyone say LEO knew he was not in any danger?

The witness saw the scuffle. Remember all the witnesses who insisted they saw Michael Ferguson with his hands up in surrender? The authorities won't say anything in defense of this Officer's actions or this case will turn into another Ferguson arson and mayhem debacle. I think they are handling it brilliantly.

JMO

Where did the witness say he viewed a fist fight brawl? I've read and seen the witness on television news. From your link:

Santana also shed some light on the incident that led to the shooting, claiming he saw Slager on top of Scott, in "control of the situation," but that he use of a stun gun caused Scott's attempts to run away."Scott was trying just to get away from the Taser. But like I said, he never used the taser against the cop."

No where have I seen or heard Santana indicating the officer was ever in any danger. He appeared to have filmed the incident because he knew the victim was in danger.

Where did the witness say he viewed a fist fight brawl? I've read and seen the witness on television news. From your link:

Santana also shed some light on the incident that led to the shooting, claiming he saw Slager on top of Scott, in "control of the situation," but that he use of a stun gun caused Scott's attempts to run away."Scott was trying just to get away from the Taser. But like I said, he never used the taser against the cop."

No where have I seen or heard Santana indicating the officer was ever in any danger. He appeared to have filmed the incident because he knew the victim was in danger.

I never said the witness called it a "fist fight brawl." Of course Santana isn't going to indicate the officer was ever in any danger. He makes it pretty clear he distrusts all cops just as the witnesses did in the Michael Brown case. The fact is, any time anyone lays their hands on a cop, that's assault and they run a great risk of ending up hurt.

JMO

A bit OT ATM, but rel to this case.

"Slager was initially represented by David Aylor, a local attorney, who in a statement provided to local media soon after the shooting said: “I believe once the community hears all the facts of this shooting, they’ll have a better understanding of the circumstances surrounding this investigation.”

But on Tuesday, shortly before Slager’s arrest was announced, Aylor told The Post that he is no longer representing the officer." bbm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/04/07/south-carolina-police-officer-will-be-charged-with-murder-after-shooting/. April 7

He did not follow oh-too-common trend of Big, Noisy Media Proclamation by Camera-Seeking, Criminal Defense Attys:
I Believe with all My Heart My Client is Innocent and No Jury Could Ever Find Him Guilty.

His stmt says - public will know more later.
JM2cts.

I never said the witness called it a "fist fight brawl." Of course Santana isn't going to indicate the officer was ever in any danger. He makes it pretty clear he distrusts all cops just as the witnesses did in the Michael Brown case. The fact is, any time anyone lays their hands on a cop, that's assault and they run a great risk of ending up hurt.

JMO

You replied to my question about the witness indicating a fight/brawl. Your link was an answer to that question....

I want to know if there's any possibility that Officer Slager had a reasonable feeling that Scott was a danger to others. It's pretty clear that Scott wasn't a danger to Officer Slager when he fired on him but what about innocent bystanders?

A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force.
—Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner

Do we know if anyone other than the guy who videoed the shooting was around and in possible danger? Any nearby business's or homes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule

I see 3 main things getting in the way of this cop walking...1. the victim was running and was shot in the back, so there's no argument for the cop fearing for his life, (which is what he claimed). 2. if it is determined that the cop was indeed planting evidence to fit his story, (which will make his original story a LIE). 3. The cop not performing cpr, (which is a joke in itself when you consider he had just shot the man multiple times. Logic says you don't shoot someone 8 times if you don't want him dead). Also, the precedents I've read that seem to support the cop, were cases BEFORE cellphone video became so common. Those cases happened when cops were automatically given the benefit of the doubt. Times have changed. moo

You replied to my question about the witness indicating a fight/brawl. Your link was an answer to that question....

And you shortened it from "fight/brawl on the ground" that the poster you asked had said. The witness in the link I posted saw them together on the ground.

JMO

And to think Slager is going to be in jail for a long time.... as I doubt this is going to get to trial anytime soon. His choice is going to cost him being in his not yet born child's life. I wonder, does he think it's worth it?

Slager is likely going to face LWOP, unless he pleas, and not be there physically or financially for his own child.

And you shortened it from "fight/brawl on the ground" that the poster you asked had said. The witness in the link I posted saw them together on the ground.

JMO

Yes, the witness described Slager having control over Scott while he was on the ground. It wasn't a discrepancy over whether or not they were on the ground or standing. It was a discrepancy over whether or not there was a fight/brawl. And no where has the witness indicated any fight/brawl occurred whether on the ground or standing up.

Okay. EMS determines that and they showed up after the LE officers attempted first aid of some kind. Personally, I don't think LE did anything wrong with not doing CPR until I see something that changes my mind.

What LE did wrong regarding CPR is that they LIED on the police report.

Police reports say that officers performed CPR and delivered first aid to Mr. Scott. The video shows that for several minutes after the shooting, Mr. Scott remained face down with his hands cuffed behind his back. A second officer arrives, puts on blue medical gloves and attends to Mr. Scott, but is not shown performing CPR. As sirens wail in the background, a third officer later arrives, apparently with a medical kit, but is also not seen performing CPR.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/u...ged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html?_r=0

Yes, the witness described Slager having control over Scott while he was on the ground. It wasn't a discrepancy over whether or not they were on the ground or standing. It was a discrepancy over whether or not there was a fight/brawl. And no where has the witness indicated any fight/brawl occurred whether on the ground or standing up.

The witness said they both were on the ground scuffling and he gave that as the reason he began video taping. If you want to believe he has lied, that's up to you.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member