Search Warrants for MR's house and vehicles

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark's home was not searched for 10 or 11 days. So I am not surprised there was nothing of interest found there. JMO

I've always wondered why LE waited so long to execute a search warrant if it was obvious that Mark was the prime suspect from the beginning?

Thanks for you input about this. I looked at these documents and I tried to figure out where the "alterations" may be. I didn't see any.

I'm not surprised that the items taken were few. If they were numerous, Mark would have been hauled away a long time ago.
Interesting theory. Why would having more items mean that Mark would be hauled away? I am missing the logic.

And some of the documents have a strange look due to the printing on the other side or the documents underneath showing through. For anyone without a good enough copy to look at, it could look like an alteration.

I've always wondered why LE waited so long to execute a search warrant if it was obvious that Mark was the prime suspect from the beginning?

I don't think it was all that obvious. We had a local young man who used to post in this thread. He said that the local LE was award winning and very experienced as Search And Rescue experts. He said they jumped right into RESCUE MODE as if Dylan was lost in the wilderness. That is what they are used to doing. And if he had fallen into a crevice while hiking to the lake then he would have been rescued.

But it was not until about a week had passed that they figured out the custody situation and the backstory, imo.

I don't think it was all that obvious. We had a local young man who used to post in this thread. He said that the local LE was award winning and very experienced as Search And Rescue experts. He said they jumped right into RESCUE MODE as if Dylan was lost in the wilderness. That is what they are used to doing. And if he had fallen into a crevice while hiking to the lake then he would have been rescued.

But it was not until about a week had passed that they figured out the custody situation and the backstory, imo.
Extra thanks. That makes complete sense if Mark just asked the Bayfield LE for a wellness check initially, because the thought would be if the father just thinks Dylan wandered off, LE would assume so, too.

Interesting theory. Why would having more items mean that Mark would be hauled away? I am missing the logic.

And some of the documents have a strange look due to the printing on the other side or the documents underneath showing through. For anyone without a good enough copy to look at, it could look like an alteration.

I would say if LE had been able to seize a large amount of evidence during a search warrant, their odds were better at getting a conviction than if they seized a small amount.

No evidence means no arrest. A lot of evidence means an arrest plus a conviction.

I would say if LE had been able to seize a large amount of evidence during a search warrant, their odds were better at getting a conviction than if they seized a small amount.

No evidence means no arrest. A lot of evidence means an arrest plus a conviction.

I don't know what kind of evidence they could expect to find?

Regarding the sweatshirt that LE was looking for (per the search warrant): If this was a piece of clothing that Dylan had with him and it wasn't located, why wasn't that released from the beginning as an article of clothing that Dylan may have been wearing? I venture to say that it was never seen. Dylan didn't have it on in the surveillance videos.

Also, Dylan was expected to be at his father's house for several days. If his phone was in need of a charge, one would expect to find that charger still plugged into an electrical outlet. LE was looking for the phone charger and didn't find it. This points to a few things for me as possible:

1) Dylan never removed the charger from his pack to charge his possibly dead phone.
2) Dylan did not have his charger with him as assumed. (sort of like the sweatshirt that I can only conclude was never in MR's home- based on it's omission from the descriptions of Dylan and it's absence from the items seized).
3) Dylan had the charger and intended to charge his phone when he got to his friends home.

BBM, this is a GREAT point imho. Much speculation has been made about those first few critical days and did LE and MR treat and respond appropriately to the disappearance/kidnapping/abduction . In that area probably on overwhelming amount of ' missing' people are lost in the woods after a hike and the LE is completely geared toward and experience in THAT type of scenario. Whether or not that happened to Dylan is still unknown, however pretty unlikely. But you can't really fault LE for going forward with the expectation that what usually happens to lost people happened to Dylan as well. Once they realized things were different they changed tactics.

I can't imagine that page 2 of the vehicle warrant contains any pertinent information besides the date and time stamp/signatures that someone wanted to see.

As for the items seized, I believe it could have been all one one page and I have examined and enhanced all the images. I don't believe any have been altered. JMO

I can imagine that page 2 of the vehicle warrant could be important and pertinent because of the date, time stamp and who officially signed it. Also, what was seized from the vehicles. LE could have deemed it important to haul away the vehicles and do major forensic testing, only after and because of what they did or didn't find in the house, outbuildings and travel trailer.

I find it interesting that these reproduced Photo documents of which there were 5 pages posted, really only amounted to four. And then one of the four posted, perhaps the most important (the list of seized items) was askew and not photographed in its entirety. If someone is serious about offering up official documents, you'd think they would make sure they are complete, in order, and not susceptible to scrutiny. Why use a photos in the first place, they can easily be altered in photo shop.

This is perhaps why MSM didn't jump on the opportunity to publish these search warrants if offered or leaked. When I have seen search warrants published, prior to this, they have been released and validated by official sources. And usually some time after an arrest has been made.

BBM, this is a GREAT point imho. Much speculation has been made about those first few critical days and did LE and MR treat and respond appropriately to the disappearance/kidnapping/abduction . In that area probably on overwhelming amount of ' missing' people are lost in the woods after a hike and the LE is completely geared toward and experience in THAT type of scenario. Whether or not that happened to Dylan is still unknown, however pretty unlikely. But you can't really fault LE for going forward with the expectation that what usually happens to lost people happened to Dylan as well. Once they realized things were different they changed tactics.

And add to it the fact that Mark told them about the missing fishing pole, and LE would be all over the hiking trails to the lake. I bet 'stranger abduction' was at the bottom of their list. They probably thought he got lost hiking OR he ran away as 13 yr olds often do.

It is interesting that the Search Warrant for the house is numbered "12SW177" and the Search Warrant for the Truck is numbered "12SW179." I really wonder if there is a search warrant for 12SW178, and what it might be.

Oh my goodness! If they didn't take his computer, I will just pitch a fit.

I just had a thought that maybe the missing search warrant 12SW178 could be a separate SW for computers or as LE says "electronic media storage devices". I have seen this kind of SW issued separately from items listed for the residence. They seize the computer and/or the hard drive and any other storage devices to analyze over time. Again it would be interesting to see when that warrant was signed, if this is the case.

I now see why you stated what you stated. I, however, completely disagree with this statement. A little of the RIGHT evidence can mean an arrest plus a conviction, too. It depends on what the evidence is. A single knife with the victims blood and the accused fingerprints could be all that would be needed for a conviction.

And no, I am not saying that happened here, only that I disagree with "more evidence means an arrest plus a conviction". Often there is plenty of evidence, just not the ALL of the needed evidence.

Regarding the sweatshirt that LE was looking for (per the search warrant): If this was a piece of clothing that Dylan had with him and it wasn't located, why wasn't that released from the beginning as an article of clothing that Dylan may have been wearing? I venture to say that it was never seen. Dylan didn't have it on in the surveillance videos.

Also, Dylan was expected to be at his father's house for several days. If his phone was in need of a charge, one would expect to find that charger still plugged into an electrical outlet. LE was looking for the phone charger and didn't find it. This points to a few things for me as possible:

1) Dylan never removed the charger from his pack to charge his possibly dead phone.
2) Dylan did not have his charger with him as assumed. (sort of like the sweatshirt that I can only conclude was never in MR's home- based on it's omission from the descriptions of Dylan and it's absence from the items seized).
3) Dylan had the charger and intended to charge his phone when he got to his friends home.

1)While it is possible Dylan never removed his charger from the pack to charge his possibly dead phone, it's not likely if he was an avid phone user and texter. Especially since it was (up until it went silent) the only way he was communicating with his friends in Bayfield that he wanted to see. Still, it is possible.

2) I thought this also, except that, by now, if his charger were still at home, it would have been found. Unless Dylan had lost it previously and never told anyone. Again, how could he have had a working phone if this were so?

3) Agreed, except why not charge it overnight, like most people do? And if he forgot, why not charge it that morning for a half hour, to get some kind of charge, so he could contact his friends? Yes, possible, but unlikely unless a bunch of circumstances lined up just wrong.

And there is no way I could ever conclude the sweatshirt was never in Marks home, only that it MIGHT not have been, or Mark never saw it. Just because someone doesn't see something, it doesn't mean it isn't there (too many negatives....argh!) LE could never completely rule something out just because Mark didn't see it, unless Mark looked through everything in Dylan's backpack that night. If it is missing from Dylan's home in CS, it makes it a possible item Dylan might have with him, but not a definite one. Worth mentioning in case anyone finds one in the woods.

And there is no way I could ever conclude the sweatshirt was never in Marks home, only that it MIGHT not have been, or Mark never saw it. Just because someone doesn't see something, it doesn't mean it isn't there (too many negatives....argh!) LE could never completely rule something out just because Mark didn't see it, unless Mark looked through everything in Dylan's backpack that night. If it is missing from Dylan's home in CS, it makes it a possible item Dylan might have with him, but not a definite one. Worth mentioning in case anyone finds one in the woods.

Ghostwheel quote respectfully snipped

Good reasoning Ghostwheel. I am in agreement. From 12SW177:
Evidence sought: Dylan Redwine, last clothing seen on Dylan Redwine to Include a black hooded sweatshirt with green "monster" drink tear marks insignia on left side,
First from reading this, it says last clothing seen on Dylan Redwine. Somebody saw him wearing it! Maybe that's as simple as a photo that a family member took at the CS Airport on his departure. Or was the sweatshirt purchased at Walmart after the surveillance video that was released. There must be more photos or video from either Walmart or McDonalds. Maybe Elaine packed it and he pulled it from his backpack and put it on before driving through McDonalds and a cam picked it up when they drove through in the truck. Or maybe Mark said he saw him in it last while he was laying on the couch that morning. I don't know why this hasn't been released, but it is of interest.

Ghostwheel quote respectfully snipped

Good reasoning Ghostwheel. I am in agreement. From 12SW177:
Evidence sought: Dylan Redwine, last clothing seen on Dylan Redwine to Include a black hooded sweatshirt with green "monster" drink tear marks insignia on left side,
First from reading this, it says last clothing seen on Dylan Redwine. Somebody saw him wearing it! Maybe that's as simple as a photo that a family member took at the CS Airport on his departure. Or was the sweatshirt purchased at Walmart after the surveillance video that was released. There must be more photos or video from either Walmart or McDonalds. Maybe Elaine packed it and he pulled it from his backpack and put it on before driving through McDonalds and a cam picked it up when they drove through in the truck. I don't know why this hasn't been released, but it is of interest.

I've always wondered about what other clothing Dylan had packed. I figure even if he did all his own packing, maybe Elaine could have worked out what clothes he took just by of by a process of elimination. You kind of know which shirts and pants your own kids are wearing most commonly, so seeing what is missing from cupboards or laundry would paint a picture of what was packed. Perhaps this is info LE is keeping to themselves though - I can see why that would be helpful if any items turned up somewhere they shouldn't be down the track.

Maybe Mark strangled him with the sweatshirt (sleeves) or the phone cord.

Maybe Mark strangled him with the sweatshirt (sleeves) or the phone cord.

That is interesting. Maybe he didn't.

Anyway, when I put this in perspective, I believe that Dylan may have left Colorado Springs with the sweatshirt and left it on the plane. The reason is that LE was looking for it, didn't find it and it was not included in the descriptions of what Dylan was last seen wearing. Therefore, see with it in the Springs and not seen with it by the last known person to have seen Dylan.

I now see why you stated what you stated. I, however, completely disagree with this statement. A little of the RIGHT evidence can mean an arrest plus a conviction, too. It depends on what the evidence is. A single knife with the victims blood and the accused fingerprints could be all that would be needed for a conviction.

And no, I am not saying that happened here, only that I disagree with "more evidence means an arrest plus a conviction". Often there is plenty of evidence, just not the ALL of the needed evidence.

My post was structured to fit this case. As you say,we know that your example of a knife with the victims blood and the perpetrators fingerprints on it wasn't found or there would have been an arrest.

I was trying to point out that in a circumstantial evidence case, generally speaking, more evidence is better than only a little. I wasn't trying to quantify or list specific evidence and how some evidence may be given more weight than another. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member