Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the explanation. And...if she accessed his SM from Yreka, would 2008 computer forensics be able to detect?

I'm not sure, maybe if she actually posted a pic or wrote a post...
She'd do it the same way she would do his email. Example, get onto Facebook, log in with his username and password...this would allow her to view his personal Facebook messages (Facebook version of private messages between two people). I don't think Facebook had many privacy settings back then so she could view most of his activity and new friends just be monitoring his page

I'm not sure, maybe if she actually posted a pic or wrote a post...
She'd do it the same way she would do his email. Example, get onto Facebook, log in with his username and password...this would allow her to view his personal Facebook messages (Facebook version of private messages between two people). I don't think Facebook had many privacy settings back then so she could view most of his activity and new friends just be monitoring his page

If she sent an e-mail or something from his account they could see the IP address used to send the e-mail, but they'd have to have a warrant to have FB, Yahoo, etc. get the log in IP - it's surely doable, I used to get notices from Yahoo that my e-mail was hacked because it was logged into from an IP address overseas, heck, when I went to Ohio last year and was trying to sign into my e-mail on my brother's computer Hotmail wouldn't let me in because it wasn't my usual IP and was requiring me to get a code from the alternate e-mail address I had put in (and couldn't remember the password to lol). So yes, Flores was right that they could find out if she was logging into his e-mail from Yreka (or anywhere else) just by comparing IP addresses.

For example if he had a yahoo email. From her laptop computer or a phone with Internet capability she could go to Yahoo, log in with his username and password then see his email activity. She could read, delete whatever she wished. She could do this whether she's laying in bed next to him while he slept, while in her rented room in Mesa or at grandmas in Yreka

He had gmail and you could totally go online anywhere to access that. She admits to accessing TA's gmail during her June 9 2008 phone interview w/ Det. Flores. Flores tells her that they are getting a search warrant for TA's email, Facebook, etc, and tells her they can tell if someone has logged on from California, or wherever. She then admits that she had recently logged in to his myspace and gmail accounts from CA (after lying about it earlier in the call). So, yeah, she could totally read, send or delete anything from his email account.

Also, back in /20072008 there were programmes that allowed the monitoring of another person's computer (phone too, I think). You needed access to the phone and computers to set it all up but Arias had that. It was possible to monitor every key stroke. It is seemingly very hard to trace but forensic experts may have been able to discover it. Could Arias have erased the programme undetected by experts? I doubt it but it's worth considering.

Enrique in video also states he took this pic of Travis and Nap (in addition to the Travis and Taylor bicycling pic on the Sony)

image.jpeg

I work on a computer every day (tho it's a mac), but I have to admit I am out of my league with some of the things you guys post regarding technology. Makes my brain scramble, lol.

But I do think Jodi is a bit like me in that regard. And while I hate to affiliate myself with her, "creative" types (and I use the term loosely), tend more to work more from the right side of the brain. So while I do think it's within the realm of possibility that she was masterminding stuff in the background, I am doubtful. Especially to think she did so effectively enough that law enforcement weren't able to detect it. I just don't think so.

I can see her figuring out passwords, etc., because that just requires a bit of background knowledge and logic. But as far as the more nefarious and sophisticated theories, I just don't see it.

JMO

I work on a computer every day (tho it's a mac), but I have to admit I am out of my league with some of the things you guys post regarding technology. Makes my brain scramble, lol.

But I do think Jodi is a bit like me in that regard. And while I hate to affiliate myself with her, "creative" types (and I use the term loosely), tend more to work more from the right side of the brain. So while I do think it's within the realm of possibility that she was masterminding stuff in the background, I am doubtful. Especially to think she did so effectively enough that law enforcement weren't able to detect it. I just don't think so.

I can see her figuring out passwords, etc., because that just requires a bit of background knowledge and logic. But as far as the more nefarious and sophisticated theories, I just don't see it.

JMO

Don't forget her "friends" that had much more extensive knowledge and abilities to assist her, especially if she had laid some sob story on them on how TA had been taking all her money etc.... in particular, GS( http://patents.justia.com/inventor/gus-searcy ) and MM who was also deeply into pc programming etc and who knows who else.

BTW and FWIW, from texts from Travis to Aaron on May 28, day she stole gun (what time of day did she?)

Travis told Aaron that Lisa didn’t have a problem hanging out with her other ex’s, and did so with one, even when he was “RING-SHOPPING

An engagement ring for Lisa? As in, the ring she stole wasn’t the one he had bought for Linda Ballard years earlier?
It sounds to me like Travis meant to say that Lisa didn't have a problem hanging out with her other exes, and did so even when that other ex was ring-shopping.

I doubt Travis meant to say that he himself was that other ex, or that he himself was out ring shopping with her (or for her).

If so, my guess is #the-ring-stealer "borrowed" the ring that was intended to go to Linda Ballard. But that's just me.

#Oh that? She can explain. Don't be mad. :D

I think all of his e-mail activity was online (yahoo, gmail) and yes, having his password she could go into any of his e-mail accounts and delete anything she wanted, she could also e-mail people from his account and it would look like he sent it. The only e-mail she couldn't have gotten into would have been an e-mail client like Outlook that's installed and accessible from the computer itself (not online), we haven't heard anything about him using Outlook so he probably didn't. Microsoft has recently renamed Hotmail to 'Outlook' so it's a bit confusing when using that name but back then Outlook was installed, not online accessible.

Umm, I can log into my Hotmail/Outlook account from other computers and see everything... all my sent/received emails etc., all I need is my addy and pw. Also, did anyone figure out what all that stuff was where it looked like TA was using macroed comments?

BTW and FWIW, from texts from Travis to Aaron on May 28, day she stole gun (what time of day did she?)

(Same day he texted a bunch of his friends that he’d left Lisa a VM asking her to call. He thought she might actually answer, especially since he’d tried to keep it humorous).

--Told Aaron about the VM and his hope she’d reply, but also that he was pissed about having to “ tiptoe” around Lisa, that they had a lot of mutual friends and he was tired of the awkwardness of having to avoid people and places that might cause a problem for her.

(Travis had told another friend earlier on that he was going to ask their bishop to intervene if Lisa continued to refuse to work things out with him).

---Travis told Aaron that Lisa didn’t have a problem hanging out with her other ex’s, and did so with one, even when he was “RING-SHOPPING.”

An engagement ring for Lisa? As in, the ring she stole wasn’t the one he had bought for Linda Ballard years earlier?

--Travis also told Aaron that if Lisa insisted upon treating him as a “leper,” that maybe they had stopped seeing each other for the wrong reasons, but “overlooked the right reasons” for not staying together.

--Travis asked Aaron about his new interest Brooke in this conversation, because Aaron had dated her a year earlier. He told Aaron he didn’t want another “Lisa-type experience.” Aaron had no objections to Travis dating her, said he hadn’t had the best experience with her, but that maybe she’d grown up some in the year since.

--Travis promptly texted Brooke (while still texting with Aaron), and told her a bit later that he’d changed his FB status, that it now read to call (her number) to talk with an awesome woman (paraphrasing). He posted that before 1:36PM (same time zone as Yreka).

Lisa did call back on the 28th (sometime before 7:30PM), Travis told everyone she had and some of what he told Lisa:

His regrets, “some of how I felt about her,” why he “acted the way (he) did. He gave her congrats on her new relationship and wished her well, telling friends he didn’t expect he and Lisa would be best friends anytime soon, and that for the “ sake of her new relationship (they could) only be cordial, but he felt progress had been made, and that maybe the two of them could begin chipping away at some of whatever bad feelings were still there.

According to the Yreka police report, the burglary happened sometime between 10:00 and 15:30 on May 28, 2008.

Oh, and JA claimed to have left the house at around 1300 hours.

It sounds to me like Travis meant to say that Lisa didn't have a problem hanging out with her other exes, and did so even when that other ex was ring-shopping.

I doubt Travis meant to say that he himself was that other ex, or that he himself was out ring shopping with her (or for her).

If so, my guess is #the-ring-stealer "borrowed" the ring that was intended to go to Linda Ballard. But that's just me.

#Oh that? She can explain. Don't be mad. :D

What Travis said...that Lisa was OK with hanging out with ex's, including Steve Bell, and that she was hanging out with the ex- BF who came after Steve Bell "even when I was ring-shopping."

As in, Travis was ring shopping. And why else would he mention it then, if he wasn't referring to the fact he was ring-shopping for Lisa?

Doesn't mean he actually bought a ring for her, but I'm not surprised he looked for one (if he did). Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be thrilled to be given an engagement ring that had been bought for someone else.

And...he bought a ring for Linda years before 2008, and had moved at least once since then, from CA to AZ. Would he really have kept it loose in a desk drawer?

JMO

Reality is, if Travis wrote all his emails from SM accounts and she had his passwords, sounds like she wouldn't have needed access to anything else to keep tabs on him.

He actually emailed more than he texted (yikes), and seemed in April and May to be more absorbed in his SM than even PPL.

Reality is, if Travis wrote all his emails from SM accounts and she had his passwords, sounds like she wouldn't have needed access to anything else to keep tabs on him.

He actually emailed more than he texted (yikes), and seemed in April and May to be more absorbed in his SM than even PPL.

Exactly my point!

JMO

Completely agree. She was a stalker and password hacker, not a tech mastermind IMO

Completely agree. She was a stalker and password hacker, not a tech mastermind IMO

She could theoretically have had hacking help from Gus, and I believe he'd have helped her if she asked, since he seemed to have bought into her abuse lies.

I'm just not sure what point it would have served, since she could get plenty enough info by snooping his SM accounts.

ETA...one thing, though. The days' worth of texts between TA and CL that all poofed, if no other texts. Can't see how that could be accomplished with just SM access....

According to the Yreka police report, the burglary happened sometime between 10:00 and 15:30 on May 28, 2008.

Oh, and JA claimed to have left the house at around 1300 hours.

In other words, it's possible that Travis posting on FB about Brooke on the 28th is what tipped her all the way over the edge, not just May 26.

Travis and Brooke had "friended" each other on FB just days before the 26th, and they had been exchanging flirty messages the had access to, since she had TA's FB password until at least May 25.

She could theoretically have had hacking help from Gus, and I believe he'd have helped her if she asked, since he seemed to have bought into her abuse lies.

I'm just not sure what point it would have served, since she could get plenty enough info by snooping his SM accounts.

ETA...one thing, though. The days' worth of texts between TA and CL that all poofed, if no other texts. Can't see how that could be accomplished with just SM access....

What was the time frame on the CL/TA texts that didn't go through?

Maybe she put parental controls on TA's account(after logging in as him) and pinpointed certain words or addresses to block... that could have been a possibility without her having to resort to one of the very many programs that are available online that let you easily block or monitor other people's sm. I don't recall whether TA had said he'd fixed the problem that had caused the blackout, or whether it had "magically" gone away on its own.

In other words, it's possible that Travis posting on FB about Brooke on the 28th is what tipped her all the way over the edge, not just May 26.

Travis and Brooke had "friended" each other on FB just days before the 26th, and they had been exchanging flirty messages the had access to, since she had TA's FB password until at least May 25.

That is what I believe was the final straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member