Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
...and in other news:

Joran van der Sloot, the 27-year-old Dutchman who is the prime suspect in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teen Natalee Holloway, has been transferred to a remote, icy penitentiary in southern Peru... transferred to the Challapalca Penitentiary located in the Andean department of Puno, which sits at more than 12,500 feet and where temperatures range between minus 4 to 48 degrees Fahrenheit.

LOL, together arias and vds could make a temperate couple.

:drumroll:

...and in other news:

Joran van der Sloot, the 27-year-old Dutchman who is the prime suspect in the 2005 disappearance of U.S. teen Natalee Holloway, has been transferred to a remote, icy penitentiary in southern Peru... transferred to the Challapalca Penitentiary located in the Andean department of Puno, which sits at more than 12,500 feet and where temperatures range between minus 4 to 48 degrees Fahrenheit.

LOL, together arias and vds could make a temperate couple.

:drumroll:

Link?

http://justice4jodi.com/

They are using a YouTube video. I just reported the site to YouTube. They have been busted for this before and removed. You are not allowed to ask for money.

http://justice4jodi.com/

They are using a YouTube video. I just reported the site to YouTube. They have been busted for this before and removed. You are not allowed to ask for money.

Awesome! I had no idea about that youtube rule. :D

I had wondered why they aren't using a crowd fund source, but I suspect it may be because it's MUCH more accountable than random donations through a personal website or is it because it would be for a confessed, convicted murderer? On the other hand, if they tried doing it that way, it'd get so much press that it would also get a lot of complaints.

Is anyone going to care about the killer's fundraising? I mean enough to see to it that the funds go for what they are purportedly being raised for? There should be a protocol for monitoring things like this but I wonder if there really is and even if there is, does any state agency actually follow through?

I suppose killers are allowed to raise funds for appeals and I don't care that this killer's people are doing so on her behalf. I just would like to see any rules/laws regarding the collection of such funds be enforced, in particular regarding any financial documents that may be required to be filed to account for the funds collected/spent.

I have a gnawing feeling that no state official is going to get involved in this enough to hold anyone accountable and frankly, this killer has already had far more taxpayer monies spent on her than most killers could dream of. I say if the aunt is raising appeals funds, she should have to use the funds for the purpose intended and someone should hold her accountable for the duration of the appeals process.

This is something the authorities ought to care about; let's hope they do. Killers or their families should not be left alone to get rich off their crimes but what good are laws governing that if no one cares enough to enforce them?

And let's not forget that often even if anyone would care, do they have the staff and resources to track and enforce the laws/regulations? The fact that the family is using a P.O. Box suggests to me that they are indeed hoping that there is a lack of oversight on these matters.

Is anyone going to care about the killer's fundraising? I mean enough to see to it that the funds go for what they are purportedly being raised for? There should be a protocol for monitoring things like this but I wonder if there really is and even if there is, does any state agency actually follow through?

I suppose killers are allowed to raise funds for appeals and I don't care that this killer's people are doing so on her behalf. I just would like to see any rules/laws regarding the collection of such funds be enforced, in particular regarding any financial documents that may be required to be filed to account for the funds collected/spent.

I have a gnawing feeling that no state official is going to get involved in this enough to hold anyone accountable and frankly, this killer has already had far more taxpayer monies spent on her than most killers could dream of. I say if the aunt is raising appeals funds, she should have to use the funds for the purpose intended and someone should hold her accountable for the duration of the appeals process.

This is something the authorities ought to care about; let's hope they do. Killers or their families should not be left alone to get rich off their crimes but what good are laws governing that if no one cares enough to enforce them?

And let's not forget that often even if anyone would care, do they have the staff and resources to track these incoming funds and enforce the laws/regulations? The fact that the family is using a P.O. box as one source suggests to me that they are indeed hoping that there is a lack of oversight on these matters.

Nrdbs4, I think you're correct. I think our princess will fade into obscurity. Hopefully, people will lose interest and the money will stop coming in. She didn't seem to have any real friends in life. Other than her mother and aunt, I doubt as time goes on she'll even have visitors.

And let's not forget that often even if anyone would care, do they have the staff and resources to track and enforce the laws/regulations? The fact that the family is using a P.O. Box suggests to me that they are indeed hoping that there is a lack of oversight on these matters.

Not just a PO Box...but one in another state. Could that be designed to thwart any p.i.t.a. agency that might come snooping around?

I understand resources being limited but that's not a good enough excuse in my book for not enforcing laws. If they aren't going to be enforced, what's the point of having the laws? Unfortunately, that is quite common and I am really not expecting any powers that be to monitor anything financial of anyone involved in this killer's affairs. They only way anything might happen along these lines is if private citizens insist. Even that might not be too effective, but it's a start.

Jodi Twitter

@dontbeafraid08 Lumley Unit, Jodi Arias ADC #281129, PO Box 3300, Goodyear, AZ, 85395. She can receive letters now.

18 hours ago

Temps in Goodyear Thurs-Sun 97-100 degrees

Not just a PO Box...but one in another state. Could that be designed to thwart any p.i.t.a. agency that might come snooping around?

I understand resources being limited but that's not a good enough excuse in my book for not enforcing laws. If they aren't going to be enforced, what's the point of having the laws? Unfortunately, that is quite common and I am really not expecting any powers that be to monitor anything financial of anyone involved in this killer's affairs. They only way anything might happen along these lines is if private citizens insist. Even that might not be too effective, but it's a start.

It's odd to me that they would get a PO Box 50+ miles away from Yreka, even bypassing Ashland and going 15 miles further north to Medford.

Bankruptcies are handled in federal bankruptcy courts around the country. The jurisdiction within a state is broken up into groups of counties, called districts. The eastern California district's US Bankruptcy court is the one that handles bankruptcies for the county of Siskiyou. I don't think a PO Box in another state would violate any bankruptcy rulings. But it is curious.

Well one way Jodi differs from the Breaking Bad guy is that she is not all that intelligent. She likes to think she is, and she can speak in a rather articulate manner, but the way she planned, executed, and explained the murder was just plain stupid and does not reveal her to have a high IQ. She made multiple mistakes that most idiots would have avoided, and she badly misjudged both the public's and the jury's intelligence from the get go. She's really not the sharpest tool in the shed, much less does she approach genius level IQ.

Two armed Ninjas are in the bathroom having brutally murdered Travis. But Jodi grabs her purse (!) and "pushes past them" to safety. I mean, really? I have to credit Flores for not bursting into laughter during that interview.

She also cuts and pastes her vocabulary so it comes out "off." I don't know if she'd ever have had the potential to get her language right: it has to flow straight from the brain, and you have to hang out with people who have large vocabularies. Jodi can't do either of these things: she manipulates all of her brain material into lies, and no one wants to hang out with her. She is very ordinary when it comes to language: maybe a bit ahead for someone with a 10th grade education, but very average at college entrance level. Plus, she has no discipline; you need discipline to do all of this. As for content (e.g. in her diaries), she's very 7th grade.

Jodi sprinkles longer words into whatever she says. This sprinkling is for manipulation. It's not about meaning.

I guess most trials are something of a game of words and language facility. Jodi was outmatched in every direction. Not only were the PT (and JSS) a classy lot, but their language skills were remarkable. EF has better command of language and its precise usage than any of the Ph.D.'s called. I don't think EF has a Ph.D., but a bow to him for his artfulness. Think of his command of the facts, as even as early as July of 2008! He comes off as just a regular guy, plain speaking, straightforward. But his word choices are very calculated. And he can do it under intense pressure. (I'll bet his interrogation of JA gets watched over and over in the prosecutor's office, just because his talent is so extraordinary and it's a tour de force.) Genius, EF, genius.

JSS is always plain-spoken from the bench, but her writing quite gives away that she has a phenomenal brain. Her ability to synthesize is extraordinary, as was clear from her omnibus ruling on all the computer BS and the "prosecutorial misconduct." She dispensed with all of it in, what, 4 pages?

I've spoken elsewhere about JM's linguistic talents.

But there were other folks, witnesses, who could run circles around Jodi (and her team) when it comes to language. These include Deanna (who can find words under pressure when I would be a frozen mess), Abe (who catches on to verbal manipulation), and even the Bishop who obviously couldn't imagine using words the way the DT did.

And then there was Demarte......

Nurmi's and Wilmott's language skills are appalling considering how much education they think they've had. They don't even have an SAT level vocabulary! They can't write a grammatically correct sentence to save their lives. When they couldn't understand a word, they'd just Object as though JM was trying to sneak something past them. (He probably was, but it was over their heads). I would hope the universities that granted them their degrees are embarrassed: perhaps these campuses have increased their writing and speaking standards now that deficiencies have played out all over the media? I trust the State of Arizona didn't have to pay for their educations in addition to their paychecks for Jodi's trial.

It's odd to me that they would get a PO Box 50+ miles away from Yreka, even bypassing Ashland and going 15 miles further north to Medford.

Bankruptcies are handled in federal bankruptcy courts around the country. The jurisdiction within a state is broken up into groups of counties, called districts. The eastern California district's US Bankruptcy court is the one that handles bankruptcies for the county of Siskiyou. I don't think a PO Box in another state would violate any bankruptcy rulings. But it is curious.

The reason to have a PO box in another state may be as simple as to make it look like it's out of arm's length from the Ariases. Oregon may also have different rules regarding trusts or even something as simple as who the contents of a PO box belong to. On the other hand, thinking she's a genius, Jodi may have had the PO box opened in Oregon because she assumed that would be an advantage.

They probably have the contents of that mailbox forwarded to their home in Yreka.

Having a PO box in another state when you could have it in your town sets up all kinds of red flags for forensics. Ummm, most states don't care for fraud?

IMO, Jodi and her family have been giving a load of BS when it comes to financial arrangements and they're too dumb to know.

I have a feeling these days prisoner monies can indeed be tracked, since computers can be used. Plus, banks and securities companies where monies are kept often do background checks and can deny services. Otherwise, they could be liable for money-laundering.

For state services in my area, you can't have any account that you have any benefits from and not report it. If they can do that for public services, they presumably will not be shy about the same kind of scrutiny for prisoner financials.

Something I've read—I've forgotten where—made me think that Jodi's assets all now belong to the state of Arizona. I suppose she could have gifted them, but then she would no longer be in the beneficiary pipeline. It might be different if she was ever getting out of prison, but she's not. Anything that ends up in her commissary fund can be used to pay restitution: there's an AZ supreme court (?) case to this effect. And she only has access to the funds in the prison system trust under her name.

Also, she can't claim she's indigent and also have the monies for a private attorney. Those are contradictions.

I've assembled some quotes from a blog https://razorwirewomen.wordpress.co...-health-care-in-texas-a-post-by-ashley-lucas/ NOTE: I prefer to use and cite original sources (and not secondary), but I don't have time to locate them.

When a person enters a prison system, s/he loses the ability to be fiscally responsible. The incarcerated can neither pay their outstanding debts–legal or otherwise–nor provide financial support to their families. Prisoners have only two ways of accessing funds. Either someone in the outside world deposits money into an inmate trust account run by the prison system, or in some states prisoners can earn money for jobs performed in the prison or on work release.
In California, prison sentences often include a fee to be paid in restitution to the state, which in practical terms means that both prisoner wages and deposits made by family members to prisoner accounts are taxed with a certain percentage of the funds going to pay the restitution costs. Every time a family member deposits money for a prisoner to use, the state of California takes 55% until the prisoner’s restitution costs have been paid.

The 'authorities' (whoever they may be) are probably not that interested or concerned, but I bet the Alexander's civil attorney is very interested in the fundraising efforts conducted on behalf of the inmate. :moo:

I was thinking along the lines of the account being in OR specifically to throw a monkey wrench into any AZ efforts to track funds. Killer is indigent as far as AZ courts are concerned and restitution is an AZ matter as well. I suppose I'm reaching here...it's just curious that the account is just far enough away to make it less convenient for the state to check on or monitor, but not far enough away to be inconvenient for our favorite Aunt, or whoever. But these days a lot can be done via online banking so it's probably no inconvenience at all.

Anyway, it's good to have Killer's addy now so we can all send her birthday cards in a few weeks ...

Or not.

Jodi Twitter

@dontbeafraid08 Lumley Unit, Jodi Arias ADC #281129, PO Box 3300, Goodyear, AZ, 85395. She can receive letters now.

18 hours ago

Laughable. These are some rules https://corrections.az.gov/sites/default/files/guidebook_2013_inter.pdf:

A
ny person may mail general correspondence such as letters, greeting cards, and post cards to an inmate.
All
incoming mail is opened and inspected for contraband and unauthorized materials.
Mail may
not
include
:

Packages

Products

Contraband

Cell phones or electronic devices