Severe Weather 2013 Spring, Summer and Fall

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now hearing on KFOR that the tornado has been categorized as an F5.

My heart goes out to all those who have suffered losses from this natural disaster. At the time of this post, the death toll stands at 51 and it appears that they still expect more casualties from the Plaza Towers Elementary School. There will be scores of injured and property damage will be astronomical.

The footage of the tornado was frightening...the darkness of that huge funnel must have been terrifying to see or hear. I can't imagine the deafening roar as the tornado passed.

I'm thankful I don't live in an area that is prone to tornadoes. I've been through more than my share of hurricanes, including some very, very severe ones. There is time to prepare and possibly evacuate from a hurricane, but the same cannot be said for a tornado. Especially those that form in the dead of night when people are asleep.

From listening to the clip from the link I learned they have camera's in Plaza Tower.

Keith Jones NBC 6 ‏@KeithNBC6 11m

#Breaking: ME: Bodies of at least 20 children are being brought in to the Medical Examiners office following tornadoes in Oklahoma. @nbc6

https://twitter.com/KeithNBC6

Someone upthread mentioned "crying wolf." That's precisely what I told my nephew earlier. Often they will begin warning us days before any actual event. Then when nothing happens, we are like, "Yeah yeah yeah tell me when there's REAL danger." Then we only start to listen when there is an actual warning...and lately they've begun giving a warning when tornadoes are "likely." A warning used to be reserved for an actual tornado siting, but now if their fancy radar "indicates" rotation, up goes the warning.

Unfortunately, the radar is often wrong (although the weather people won't admit that). Just last night, two of our local stations' radar maps were showing entirely different pictures.

Bottom line...they need to save the watches and warnings for imminent danger. Maybe then people will once again listen to and heed the warnings.

All that being said, there are going to be times when there is no place to go or hide no matter what.

I am not sure there is anything that can protect you. When you have 200 mile wind, you must be as they have said 'under ground'. I have been in tornados and I have seen bark stripped off of trees. I have seen a chicken lay a soft shell egg. They are freaky and no one knows what those winds can do. If concrete blocks cannot sustain the winds, what can? I believe what the meterologist have said, you need to be under the ground. Just my opinoin having survived 3 tornados. jmo

"You don't walk away from this not being changed." - Fire dept from out of town.

51 confirmed deaths.
233 confirmed injuries at the hospitals.

Someone upthread mentioned "crying wolf." That's precisely what I told my nephew earlier. Often they will begin warning us days before any actual event. Then when nothing happens, we are like, "Yeah yeah yeah tell me when there's REAL danger." Then we only start to listen when there is an actual warning...and lately they've begun giving a warning when tornadoes are "likely." A warning used to be reserved for an actual tornado siting, but now if their fancy radar "indicates" rotation, up goes the warning.

Unfortunately, the radar is often wrong (although the weather people won't admit that). Just last night, two of our local stations' radar maps were showing entirely different pictures.

Bottom line...they need to save the watches and warnings for imminent danger. Maybe then people will once again listen to and heed the warnings.

All that being said, there are going to be times when there is no place to go or hide no matter what.

I don't know if you are in an area that has tornados or not, but I think it would behoove you to listen to the warnings even if you cannot see anything coming or not. Every storm is capable of producing a tornado. These things are deadly and viscious. It would be better to be safe than sorry. jmo

I am not sure there is anything that can protect you. When you have 200 mile wind, you must be as they have said 'under ground'. I have been in tornados and I have seen bark stripped off of trees. I have seen a chicken lay a soft shell egg. They are freaky and no one knows what those winds can do. If concrete blocks cannot sustain the winds, what can? I believe what the meterologist have said, you need to be under the ground. Just my opinoin having survived 3 tornados. jmo

Very true. Those are substantial , sturdy , new buildings that were destroyed. A lot of times a small tornado will only damage flimsy structures, an old lean-to barn, old mobile home,etc. But these were really fortified buildings that could not withstand it. Nothing in its path could stand to that force.

Still waiting official word on the possible 40 unaccounted for students at Plaza Towers.
They are still working at the school.

As nightfall approached, determined searchers in hard hats dug in the debris for students possibly trapped, but authorities described the work as a recovery, not rescue, effort.

A father of a third-grader still missing sat quietly on a stool. Tears fell from his eyes as he waited for news of his son.

http://us.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/severe-weather/index.html

I don't know if you are in an area that has tornados or not, but I think it would behoove you to listen to the warnings even if you cannot see anything coming or not. Every storm is capable of producing a tornado. These things are deadly and viscious. It would be better to be safe than sorry. jmo

I am very much in an area that gets tornadoes. :) And I moved up here from a town that was in large part wiped off the map back in the 80s.

Like I said, they begin warning us days ahead to the point that we cease to listen...the crying wolf effect. The talking heads need to be more careful with their warnings. Too many false warnings means folks don't listen when there is real danger.

But like you say, I do keep in mind that storms can produce tornadoes out of the blue. If a storm is due to come in during the night, I don't even sleep upstairs in my room. I sleep on the couch right next to my inner-most closet.

And as a number of you have pointed out, animals can be mighty good predictors. My dog sat in one spot staring into space for a good part of the day today. That is extremely unusual behavior for him, and when the storm started to roll in, he sat on my foot...again, not a common behavior.

Not that it helps, but we are thinking of Moore here in Australia.

Devastating. x

I am very much in an area that gets tornadoes. :) And I moved up here from a town that was in large part wiped off the map back in the 80s.

Like I said, they begin warning us days ahead to the point that we cease to listen...the crying wolf effect. The talking heads need to be more careful with their warnings. Too many false warnings means folks don't listen when there is real danger.

But like you say, I do keep in mind that storms can produce tornadoes out of the blue. If a storm is due to come in during the night, I don't even sleep upstairs in my room. I sleep on the couch right next to my inner-most closet.

And as a number of you have pointed out, animals can be mighty good predictors. My dog sat in one spot staring into space for a good part of the day today. That is extremely unusual behavior for him, and when the storm started to roll in, he sat on my foot...again, not a common behavior.

I sincerely hope you are okay. The weather has certainly been really terrifying and strange this year. Last week the ice in Minnesota was unbelievable and these midwestern storms are really scary. My son, 7, who wants to be a meteorologist, was glued to the weather channel. He said at dinner he felt really sad for the people going through this. I hope you and your family are spared going through any bad weather. Make sure to pay attention to your dog, he knows. ;)
Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

As nightfall approached, determined searchers in hard hats dug in the debris for students possibly trapped, but authorities described the work as a recovery, not rescue, effort.

A father of a third-grader still missing sat quietly on a stool. Tears fell from his eyes as he waited for news of his son.

http://us.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/severe-weather/index.html

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but I know several places hit today lost horses and need places to keep their horses. This lady has a large farm nearby and is offering to help. Please remove if it's not okay to post....

Attachments

• Save Horses OK.jpg
    Save Horses OK.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics