Shannan Gilbert Found, death declared an accident. #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found several articles that state JB, MP & AD attempted to file the report in NY but were told it had to be filed in NJ where SG resided. Then I found a few articles that mentioned how MG and AD attempted to file the report in NJ but MG was told that she had to file the missing person report in Ulster County. That seems to be what happened because this article claims that Mari filed the report two days after SG was missing (May 3rd?) with the Ellenville Police;

Ellenville police contacted

The first missing-person report was filed with Village of Ellenville police by Gilbert's mother, Mari Gilbert, two days after her daughter's disappearance. Ellenville police Chief Phil Mattracion said his officers talked to Gilbert's live-in boyfriend in Jersey City and relayed the case to police on Long Island, who had been investigating the day before.
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101217/NEWS/12170368

What I don't get is this- the missing person flier is from NJ and it appears that MP made the report on 5/4/10. Here is a copy of the flier;

http://api.ning.com/files/padXlNpja...e2QxxsalC*BcIlUBRQzNq/shannongilbertflyer.jpg

Something is off. I just cannot put my finger on it.

A Missng Persons report is usually filed in the resident precinct of the victim. I seem to recollet the NYPD did take the case because of extenuating circumstances. when the missing person is an adult and there are no medical circumstances that may lead to the disappearance a report is rarely accepted at first instance. the fact SG was a prostitute didn't help matters either. It is just the way that it is. Frankly, nothing much is done about it anyway. The Missing Person's Squad is pretty much a PR arm of the PD.

NYPD took a report for SG?

You may have her case confused with another person.

pretty sure they took one for one of the gals.

Yes they did but not for SG.

Hawk- if a NJ woman goes missing and she was last seen in NY, would it be standard practice to tell her boyfriend that he must go back to NJ to file the missing persons report?

Likewise, if the NJ woman was never a legal resident of NJ would it be standard practice for a NJ police department to tell the family to go back to NY where the girl last legally resided to file the report there?

Are there any standards or is it all a PR stunt like you suggest?

I can only tell you what I remember about the NYPD. The general rule is the complaint is made at the place where the person resides. These sort of complaints come in all the time.

Yes they did but not for SG.

Hawk- if a NJ woman goes missing and she was last seen in NY, would it be standard practice to tell her boyfriend that he must go back to NJ to file the missing persons report?

Likewise, if the NJ woman was never a legal resident of NJ would it be standard practice for a NJ police department to tell the family to go back to NY where the girl last legally resided to file the report there?

Are there any standards or is it all a PR stunt like you suggest?

I think that was Melissa B. She moved from upstate NY to the Bronx.

Help me understand why it makes sense that if I go missing say in Wyoming but I reside in Indiana I should be reported missing in Indiana? That's crazy. I would think LE in Wyoming would have a better chance of finding me. It doesn't make sense. What is the logic behind it?

Anyone have the date of when SG's missing person report was filed, who filed it, what police department took the report and what was written down as the last date she was seen and her last known location she was seen?

I am doing research on something and it would be useful to obtain a copy of that report via a FOIL request.

I don't understand why you would not think Shannan was a NJ resident since she was identified as such in numerous news reports. The Ellenville info almost seems like an attempt to distort the facts.

"On May 3, the boyfriend and the driver returned to Oak Beach in search of Gilbert and checked local beaches and area hospitals, according to the driver.

The driver said they tried to file a missing person report in Suffolk County, but police told them it had to be filed in Jersey City, Gilbert's hometown."
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/12/boyfriend_and_the_driver_of_sh.html

Shannon Maria Gilbert, the missing Jersey City woman...was last seen by her "driver'' in the beach town acting "delirious" and running away, according to the missing persons report filed in May.

...That was on May 1; the report was filed by Gilbert's parents on May 4, Jersey City police said today.

...The two police departments have been cooperating since Gilbert, who lived at 159 Christopher Columbus Drive, went missing, officials said.

...Gilbert’s Jersey City landlord said she lived in a third-floor apartment for a few months with her boyfriend, who returned the keys to the company in June.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/12/missing_jersey_city_woman_shan.html

“Gilbert, a prostitute from Jersey City, was last seen in May by Long Island doctor Peter Hackett, who said he saw Gilbert running at night near Oak Beach, looking both sick and distressed.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/04...ch-for-bodies-off-l-i-in-serial-killer-probe/

Shannan's address was 159 Christopher Columbus Drive, Jersey City, NJ. Shannan moved to Jersey City in 2007.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/jersey_city_prostitute_still_m.html

These links should answer all the questions you have raised. There are many more supporting this info, but my screen is rolling so I will stop now and see if I can get my comment posted.

Help me understand why it makes sense that if I go missing say in Wyoming but I reside in Indiana I should be reported missing in Indiana? That's crazy. I would think LE in Wyoming would have a better chance of finding me. It doesn't make sense. What is the logic behind it?[/QUOTE

JUSTICE, every morning I got to work and found the building was still there was always a surprise to me.

Your "logic" is based on the belief that someone is actually going to look for you. Other than a small child or some such situation nobody is looking for you. The idea in reporting it in your home residence is for that PD to contact other PD's in other places you believe the missing person can be found.

Most of the cops in missing persons are missing persons themselves.

I don't understand why you would not think Shannan was a NJ resident since she was identified as such in numerous news reports. The Ellenville info almost seems like an attempt to distort the facts.

"On May 3, the boyfriend and the driver returned to Oak Beach in search of Gilbert and checked local beaches and area hospitals, according to the driver.

The driver said they tried to file a missing person report in Suffolk County, but police told them it had to be filed in Jersey City, Gilbert's hometown."

Shannon Maria Gilbert, the missing Jersey City woman...was last seen by her "driver'' in the beach town acting "delirious" and running away, according to the missing persons report filed in May.

...That was on May 1; the report was filed by Gilbert's parents on May 4, Jersey City police said today.

...The two police departments have been cooperating since Gilbert, who lived at 159 Christopher Columbus Drive, went missing, officials said.

...Gilbert’s Jersey City landlord said she lived in a third-floor apartment for a few months with her boyfriend, who returned the keys to the company in June.

“Gilbert, a prostitute from Jersey City, was last seen in May by Long Island doctor Peter Hackett, who said he saw Gilbert running at night near Oak Beach, looking both sick and distressed.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/04...ch-for-bodies-off-l-i-in-serial-killer-probe/

Shannan's address was 159 Christopher Columbus Drive, Jersey City, NJ. Shannan moved to Jersey City in 2007.

These links should answer all the questions you have raised. There are many more supporting this info, but my screen is rolling so I will stop now and see if I can get my comment posted.

Gilbert's mother, Mari Gilbert, initially tried to file a missing-person report with police in Jersey City, where Shannon lived with a boyfriend. But police in New Jersey told her to contact authorities in Ulster County.
-Source

Just because someone slept in an apartment in NJ doesn't automatically make them a NJ citizen.

Did she have a NJ or a NY driver's license/ID?

Where was she registered to vote?

At what address did she receive her mail?

What address did she put on her income tax returns?

Did she pay NY or NJ state income taxes?

Was the lease for the apartment in her name or her boyfriend's name?

These are what makes a person a legal resident. Like everyone else is saying, what difference should it make anyway where someone resided or where their legal residence is/was?

Why can't we file a missing persons report in the jurisdication where the person actually went missing????

-Source

Just because someone slept in an apartment in NJ doesn't automatically make them a NJ citizen.

Did she have a NJ or a NY driver's license/ID?

Where was she registered to vote?

At what address did she receive her mail?

What address did she put on her income tax returns?

Did she pay NY or NJ state income taxes?

Was the lease for the apartment in her name or her boyfriend's name?

These are what makes a person a legal resident. Like everyone else is saying, what difference should it make anyway where someone resided or where their legal residence is/was?

Why can't we file a missing persons report in the jurisdication where the person actually went missing????

I was thinkin' the same thing.

Based on the bolded above:
Wow, AD gave up on SG rather quickly...

I think that was mentioned somewhere--that he totally lived off her income and she blew money as she made it, so he had to move back in with his father. JMO. That would probably mean she had already paid the rent.

I think that was mentioned somewhere--that he totally lived off her income and she blew money as she made it, so he had to move back in with his father. JMO. That would probably mean she had already paid the rent.

I believe that I read somewhere that rent was $1,500 a month. And I agree with you - Alex Diaz was her PIMP, altho being stockhauser syndromed and beaten by Alex to the point he broke her jaw, SG felt/thought/called Alex her boyfriend. He was her pimp. Prostitution is a very nasty dangerous business.

I believe that I read somewhere that Shannan went to work that night to earn the rent money. (altho it has been printed FALSELY in the NY POST and reported FALSELY (due to the NY POST artticle) that SG was working that night to earn money for a mothers day present for MG and a birthday present for MG)

I do believe SG went out that night to earn the $$ to pay the $1,500 for rent.

It has been reported that she was going to earn $450 for two hours.

@ 2:30 he says he offered 2 hours at $450.00

@seaslug -Did she have a NJ or a NY driver's license/ID? NO. It has been reported by MG that Shannan did NOT drive.

I believe that I read somewhere that rent was $1,500 a month. And I agree with you - Alex Diaz was her PIMP, altho being stockhauser syndromed and beaten by Alex to the point he broke her jaw, SG felt/thought/called Alex her boyfriend. He was her pimp. Prostitution is a very nasty dangerous business.

I believe that I read somewhere that Shannan went to work that night to earn the rent money. (altho it has been printed FALSELY in the NY POST and reported FALSELY (due to the NY POST artticle) that SG was working that night to earn money for a mothers day present for MG and a birthday present for MG)

I do believe SG went out that night to earn the $$ to pay the $1,500 for rent.

It has been reported that she was going to earn $450 for two hours.

@ 2:30 he says he offered 2 hours at $450.00
Americas Serial Killer True Stories P1 - YouTube

@seaslug -Did she have a NJ or a NY driver's license/ID? NO. It has been reported by MG that Shannan did NOT drive.

Ummm...

That "working for a birthday present for her mom" theory was invented by MG and I can prove it. The NY Post only reported what MG herself told the world.

Ummm...

That "working for a birthday present for her mom" theory was invented by MG and I can prove it. The NY Post only reported what MG herself told the world.

well you dont have to prove it
but the tos have told us to post the supporting documentation when you say something.
so that is the same thing as prove it.
so go right ahead..i'd love to see it.

well you dont have to prove it
but the tos have told us to post the supporting documentation when you say something.
so that is the same thing as prove it.
so go right ahead..i'd love to see it.

Read it:

The others want to know why Mari thinks Shannan suddenly wouldn’t share her fee with the driver. “I was the last one Shannan talked to that night, six hours before she was missing,” Mari says. “We had planned for her to come home for my birthday and for Mother’s Day.” Gilbert thinks Shannan didn’t want to give the driver his cut that night so that she could have enough money to buy her a present. “She said, ‘I have to work tonight, Mommy.’”

Everyone is quiet for a moment. The guilt permeating that theory is so overpowering no one wants to acknowledge it. Finally, Overstreet says something. “Okay. So you don’t know that conversation went on between her and that driver at that point? You’re just guessing?”

“I’m assuming,” Gilbert says tensely, “that when she went back to the driver and the driver said, ‘Give me the money,’ she said, ‘No, I need the money for my mom’s birthday.’” She pauses and locks eyes with Overstreet. “Because she told me, ‘I’m doing a job so I’ll have some money to buy you something for your birthday.’”
http://nymag.com/news/features/long-island-serial-killer-families-2011-6/index5.html

According to MG's statement, she claims that SG told her that she was doing "a job" to buy her something for her birthday. More than a theory. It's stated as a fact by MG in this interview. Then the following week the NY Post and all the other big papers repeated the info. It wasn't falsely reported unless you think MG gave false info in this and other interviews when she said this.

Read it:

http://nymag.com/news/features/long-island-serial-killer-families-2011-6/index5.html

According to MG's statement, she claims that SG told her that she was doing "a job" to buy her something for her birthday. More than a theory. It's stated as a fact by MG in this interview. Then the following week the NY Post and all the other big papers repeated the info. It wasn't falsely reported unless you think MG gave false info in this and other interviews when she said this.

about the case... i dont remember the name of the book
but i know its been printed that he's writing one.
it will be interesting to see
what he says of sg working that night for $$
whether it stays the same in the book.

that is very interesting, i wonder if robert kolker is on websleuths at all
and can validate the statement above as being a correct quote from mari
or...not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online