DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
acurrier ~

welcome019.gif
to Websleuths!!!

I read a blogger comment on one of the news links today that said the reason CC is asking for a new judge is that they are hoping for one from Chester that might be affiliated with Grace Church! Does anyone from the area think that is a possibility? Would the prosecution be able to challenge that if it happened?

Hiya Kimster and All,

Kimster, hope all goes well for you that your ex can refinance...wow that is just happening to you, I'm sorry :(

As per getting a judge affiliated with Grace Church, it sure seems that whoever assigns the new judge would consider against such as that, but if for some reason the new judge was affiliated with that church -- it seems they would have to recuse themselves.

Finally, today I was reading the blab at one of the newspaper article discussion boards. Someone mentioned a person writing a $250K check for the defense fund. I can hardly believe that, then again, stranger things have happened. I sure wonder what Sheri's family's attorney will find out about this defense fund. ALSO, wonder if this defense fund money was run directly to CC's account, his father's or through the church. Should be interesting to learn. Will be further interesting to learn if people who gave to that defense fund call Sheri's family attorney pissed off and spilling the beans.

Thank you, cleo! Does the defense have to show any proof of bias or is this just SOP?

They can make a request for change of judge for any reason, or for no reason at all.

You are allowed to do it one time and it has to be at the beginning of the trial. you can't wait until you are losing and then get a new judge and trial.

The State will picks the second judge. It is often one from out of town and he is likely to be pissed about having to travel.

Pres, just recently in the Drew Peterson case (Will County, Illinois) this same topic came up.

The State requested a new judge and their request was granted. The State is allowed to do this one time.

Subsequently, the Defense requested a new judge and in their motion for that new judge they specifically "disqualified" another particular judge. In doing so, the Defense used up both of their options for a new judge.

The new judge is usually pulled from the same jurisdiction (provided the jurisdiction has sufficient numbers of judges to cover the changes). The Chief Judge of that jurisdiction is the one who makes the decision as to which judge will be covering a particular case. He/She can either assign a judge working under him/her, or can take on the case himself/herself.

I read a blogger comment on one of the news links today that said the reason CC is asking for a new judge is that they are hoping for one from Chester that might be affiliated with Grace Church! Does anyone from the area think that is a possibility? Would the prosecution be able to challenge that if it happened?

That's an interesting thought, Kimster! Looking at the list of judges for the 20th circuit Illinois Circuit Court Judges, there are two from Chester:

William A. Schuwerk, Jr. (Circuit Court Judge)

Richard A. Brown (Associate Judge)

Anyone down Chester way know if either one would have any affiliation with Grace Church?

Another thought might be that perhaps they are hoping to land a judge that does not support the death penalty for the penalty phase?? It's possible they are looking ahead to the possibility of a guilty verdict and are working in advance to save him from the DP. Just a thought.... :waitasec:

Yeah, it's old.

Glad to hear that!!!! :) Oh, wait...do you mean the pic, the car or the tag??? Sorry....couldn't resist!!! :laughbounce:

I'm one of those who believes the death penalty is gentler than life without parole. I believe CC is counting on getting the DP on this case. It guarantees him life for (at present) an indefinite period, first while all the DP motions get filed and argued, then when the inevitable appeals happen, and then because of the moratorium. He gets to live in a segregated cell, away from other prisoners, and his life will be as comfy-cozy as Mom and Dad and whatever supporters remain (not to mention women who have a fetish for convicted murders) can make it. He could conceivable even marry! Conjugal visits! He could live the remainder of his natural life in prison, getting fat and bald and without a care in the world (I think he quit caring about God and Hell a while ago).

Life without parole, he goes into the general prison population, a much worse fate. Jeffrey Dahmer didn't last long. That's why I'd rather see him get LWP. That would bring his punishment more in line with his crime.

VC - what you say is true - I haven't thought it out yet as to which I'd prefer him to get. After the prelim, I was hoping for death - but you're right - that's the easy way out for him. OTOH, we will support him as long as he lives. It's a tough call - I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

I TOTALLY agree VC! I do think it's "worse" for them to be miserable for the remainder of their natural life. But then again, I'm also one of those who doesn't support the death penalty in any case. :gavel:

I'm one of those who believes the death penalty is gentler than life without parole. I believe CC is counting on getting the DP on this case. It guarantees him life for (at present) an indefinite period, first while all the DP motions get filed and argued, then when the inevitable appeals happen, and then because of the moratorium. He gets to live in a segregated cell, away from other prisoners, and his life will be as comfy-cozy as Mom and Dad and whatever supporters remain (not to mention women who have a fetish for convicted murders) can make it. He could conceivable even marry! Conjugal visits! He could live the remainder of his natural life in prison, getting fat and bald and without a care in the world (I think he quit caring about God and Hell a while ago).

Life without parole, he goes into the general prison population, a much worse fate. Jeffrey Dahmer didn't last long. That's why I'd rather see him get LWP. That would bring his punishment more in line with his crime.

VC - what you say is true - I haven't thought it out yet as to which I'd prefer him to get. After the prelim, I was hoping for death - but you're right - that's the easy way out for him. OTOH, we will support him as long as he lives. It's a tough call - I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.
Okay, I vote for LWOP in Gen. Pop. and we just let some other criminal with a conscience (is that an oxymoron?) take care of the rest for us. That would save us taxpayers a ton of $$$$, he'd be looking over his shoulder constantly, it would eliminate the need for an executioner, and still bring about the desired result. Yeah, the more I think about, the more I like that..........

Sorry, I am one who feels that you take another's life, you pay with your own. I would think that living in a *cough* Christian *cough* home, he more so than many should know the rights from the wrongs. Just too bad we couldn't do it X's 3. I am still horrified to think of a parent taking the lives of their own children and their Mother. I think there's a special He!! just for them. No, you know what, I take back the sorry part...........

:cool: ~TCO~

As for the foreclose issue, banks will start sending threats of foreclosure when you fall two payments behind. After the 4th missed payment they will not accept anymore payments unless the full amount can be paid to bring current. At this point their file gets put in a long line of files that will be prepared for foreclosure while sending letters offering other options such as a Short Sale (Allowing the owner to sell the home for less than what is owed and avoiding foreclosure). In this market, it will most likely take another 3-6 months until the owner receives a Lis Pendens letting them know a suit for title has been filed with the court. The owner, by filing a petition within 30 days, can delay the foreclosure for another 6 months to a year. Then once an auction date is set, if the owner files bankruptcy they can buy themselves another 3-6 months. If the owner does nothing once they receive the Lis Pendens, then the foreclosure sale can happen as soon as 3 months from the date the Lis Pendens is files. At least this is how it works in Florida. I help home owners avoid foreclosures by negotiating a short sale with their bank/banks and in doing so I have found what I have stated above to be the same with most banks.

Okay, I vote for LWOP in Gen. Pop. and we just let some other criminal with a conscience (is that an oxymoron?) take care of the rest for us. That would save us taxpayers a ton of $$$$, he'd be looking over his shoulder constantly, it would eliminate the need for an executioner, and still bring about the desired result. Yeah, the more I think about, the more I like that..........

Sorry, I am one who feels that you take another's life, you pay with your own. I would think that living in a *cough* Christian *cough* home, he more so than many should know the rights from the wrongs. Just too bad we couldn't do it X's 3. I am still horrified to think of a parent taking the lives of their own children and their Mother. I think there's a special He!! just for them. No, you know what, I take back the sorry part...........

:cool: ~TCO~

I've been thinking about this and the more I do, the more I want LWOP. I honestly can't say that I'm for the DP or against it.....maybe it depends. You occasionally hear about an inmate proven innocent by dna - I always wonder how they can resume their lives when they've been in prison for so many years. But there are also those who are such a huge threat to society that I wouldn't want them ever to get out of prison, by legal means or by escape. For them, DP makes sense. Hard decision.

Maybe now we need a poll to see how WS'ers feel about the DP vs LWOP for CC if he is found guilty by a jury????? What do you think Kimster?

One of the possible new judges is from Randolph County, ie Chester, but I believe the State has one option to recuse a judge and I would expect them to use it if that judge is selected. I happen to think the chief judge deciding this is smarter than that though and will select someone else.

I've been thinking about this and the more I do, the more I want LWOP. I honestly can't say that I'm for the DP or against it.....maybe it depends. You occasionally hear about an inmate proven innocent by dna - I always wonder how they can resume their lives when they've been in prison for so many years. But there are also those who are such a huge threat to society that I wouldn't want them ever to get out of prison, by legal means or by escape. For them, DP makes sense. Hard decision.

Maybe now we need a poll to see how WS'ers feel about the DP vs LWOP for CC if he is found guilty by a jury?????
Yeah, about the inmates proven innocent by DNA, you have to remember, those are cases that were tried prior to DNA and DNA clears them. Now that there is the ability to use DNA, that pretty much eliminates that. I don't think there has been a case that the person was found guilty with DNA evidence and later found not guilty by DNA evidence.

I personally don't care too much either way, as long as he never again walks the earth as a free man.

That's an interesting thought, Kimster! Looking at the list of judges for the 20th circuit Illinois Circuit Court Judges, there are two from Chester:

William A. Schuwerk, Jr. (Circuit Court Judge)

Richard A. Brown (Associate Judge)

Anyone down Chester way know if either one would have any affiliation with Grace Church?

Another thought might be that perhaps they are hoping to land a judge that does not support the death penalty for the penalty phase?? It's possible they are looking ahead to the possibility of a guilty verdict and are working in advance to save him from the DP. Just a thought.... :waitasec:

I think only Schuwerk is a possible here, as I read somewhere he is the only death qualified judge from Randolph County. The other judges are from nearby St Clair County, all are part of the same judicial circuit.

I have never made a single payment late, but in the last few months my bank has begun calling before the payment is due to make sure I'm planning on paying. It's about the most obnoxious thing I've ever experienced, and I chew out the person (it's a real person) and tell them to knock it off. Doesn't work - now I just let the calls go to the machine. I pay on line and schedule it in advance, they must be really jumping on all of the loans for whatever reason.

To contrast, we have some former friends (we loaned them money so they don't like us any more) who stopped paying their mortgage in September 2007 and just had the house sold at a Trustee's sale in January of this year - and they stayed in it for a couple months after that. So about 1.5 years of no payments before they were forced to move out.

This hasn't happened to us, but, some friends have been getting the monthly call a couple days before the payment is due. Also, they had a credit card cancelled. They are (rightly) angry over this, they weren't late on the card, actually they paid in full most of the time. From some things I have seen online, this has become common.

News update:

>>Defense attorneys for Christopher Coleman, accused of killing his wife and two sons in Columbia, Ill., sought and received a disqualification Thursday of two judges from the case.<<

>>"The defendant has reason to believe that Judge Doyle and Judge Dennis Hatch are so prejudiced against him that he cannot receive a fair trial," said the document filed by William Margulis, one Coleman's attorneys.<<

Heading there to finish reading the article...

Doyle: ruled last week that there is probable cause to bring Coleman to trial
Hatch: ??

How is it that Hatch would be prejudiced? Did he have anything to do with making sure that Sheri's family were able to take she and the boys to Chicago for a service? i.e. might he have had to hear some facts about this case, even as Doyle has?

I have never made a single payment late, but in the last few months my bank has begun calling before the payment is due to make sure I'm planning on paying. It's about the most obnoxious thing I've ever experienced, and I chew out the person (it's a real person) and tell them to knock it off. Doesn't work - now I just let the calls go to the machine. I pay on line and schedule it in advance, they must be really jumping on all of the loans for whatever reason.

To contrast, we have some former friends (we loaned them money so they don't like us any more) who stopped paying their mortgage in September 2007 and just had the house sold at a Trustee's sale in January of this year - and they stayed in it for a couple months after that. So about 1.5 years of no payments before they were forced to move out.

BBBM ... Was your loan held by CW who is now owned by _ of _? Same thing happened to us this month and boy was I hot :furious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee